Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

xarph posted:

Because I am a masochist like everyone in this thread, I really want an industrial electricity mod that models current loss and overload with separate hot/neutral/ground wires. I want to have to design my grid around huge circuit breakers that kill my character if I turn things on in the wrong order.

I want bringing assemblers online to require Procedures that James May would be fond of.

Yeah, I'm sort of with you here. I think electricity could be fun if it were a little more complicated. Stuff like line loss, max voltage on machines, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think it'd be okay in a mod, but please for the love of god keep it out of the main game. I tried a Minecraft mod with that and it was never not a pain in the rear end.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wouldn't mind more complexity in the power system if there were less complexity in connecting power. Prison Architect's power line system would be a decent start. Some items need power wired directly to them, but most things just need to be a certain path distance from power and auto-connect. If running power were more like this, I would welcome the complexity of transformers and voltage drop and current limits.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Onean posted:

I think it'd be okay in a mod, but please for the love of god keep it out of the main game. I tried a Minecraft mod with that and it was never not a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, absolutely -- I wouldn't want it to be part of vanilla by any stretch.

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice
Another tip for speedrun achievements: pause the game. If you have to stop for any reason at all hit shift+space. For just about any part of the run (except when you are waiting for rocket parts to roll in I suppose) always be doing something.

And start buffering steel as early as possible, especially now with the science pack changes. May even be worthwhile to buffer iron and copper slightly due to military pack requirements. I did my spoonrun in .14 and haven't attempted another one yet. I feel like it would be a ton tighter now and I just barely cleared mine.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Buffer all products all the time. Idling assemblers is wasted resources. Assemblers should be continuously running until they produce the resources required to finish the game, at which point they should get cut off. With the way recipes scale, for most of the game you're going to be producing more than you consume of stuff, until suddenly you want a whole bunch of it.

And, you're right, it's way tighter than in 0.14. Top speedrun times are much longer in 0.15. Instead of under 2 hours, it's now over 4 and a half hours. You have a much slimmer margin than you used to.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Proper electricity would be great. Long transmission lines at 500kV, local transformer stations, electric furnaces requiring 3x 230V etc etc.

You'd need a lot more fiddly logic to go with it too which is cool and good for the uber nerds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I already worked around all that by training steam to turbines in my outposts :v:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
We need a mod to rename steam to "liquid electricity", turbines to "transformers", and make fluid wagons look like big lightning bolts.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Evilreaver posted:

I clocked in my run at 7:05 relying on red belts, it can be done.

The biggest time saver is to go in with a book of blueprints for labs, science factories, belt factories, parts factories, smelter lines...
Design, building, redesigning and rebuilding takes forever. If you go in with working models, you're way ahead.
I don't need / want your blueprint book but I'm interested to know how you calculated how many assemblers of each type to make. Foreman and the like are really good at X/sec factories but trying to translate that into a minimum time single build thing like a rocket in 8 hours is giving me fits.

Do you arbitrarily say "well i want the rocket and sat in 2 hours so ill calculate throughout from that"

I'll never get near speedrun times but i would like to do spoon and I'm not sure how to break down the 8 hours beyond looking at random speedrunners.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Truga posted:

I already worked around all that by training steam to turbines in my outposts :v:

we're reaching levels of realism that shouldn't be possible in a game

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Loren1350 posted:

So, is anybody in here going to the Factorio party?

'Cause it'd be interesting to meet up.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bhodi posted:

I don't need / want your blueprint book but I'm interested to know how you calculated how many assemblers of each type to make. Foreman and the like are really good at X/sec factories but trying to translate that into a minimum time single build thing like a rocket in 8 hours is giving me fits.

Do you arbitrarily say "well i want the rocket and sat in 2 hours so ill calculate throughout from that"

I'll never get near speedrun times but i would like to do spoon and I'm not sure how to break down the 8 hours beyond looking at random speedrunners.

I didn't do any in-depth calculations because I'm hugely lazy. Essentially I said "I want 2 sci/sec of all flavors" and went from there: this works out to a number of assemblers double each build time (10 red, 12 green, etc except the scis that are naturally x2) and then set of prints for a 'lab' of each color (again, double the build times: 20 engines etc etc except for doubled sci, so 8 grenades etc)

Add in a "one of every 'thing'" factory (chem plants, lights, elec poles, pipes), tile-able greenchip and redchip factories and a specific Belt/Inserter factory, then stuff all the lines with copper/iron plates until it works. My first attempt came in at 8:45, then I got double-lazy and turned bugs off entirely and cranked up resources (and refined the blueprints a bit) for 7:05. Since I had so much extra time on my second run I didn't bother with min-maxing calculations and just sat back and let it work till the end. I was completely stiffed on Iron my first run so reloading an old save to refine my attempt wouldn't have worked.

edit: I opted for 'belt hell' in actually linking everything up

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 9, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

lol if you don't do belt hell for everything

logistics bots are a sign of a weak mind :viggo:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Evilreaver posted:

I didn't do any in-depth calculations because I'm hugely lazy. Essentially I said "I want 2 sci/sec of all flavors" and went from there: this works out to a number of assemblers double each build time (10 red, 12 green, etc except the scis that are naturally x2) and then set of prints for a 'lab' of each color (again, double the build times: 20 engines etc etc except for doubled sci, so 8 grenades etc)

Add in a "one of every 'thing'" factory (chem plants, lights, elec poles, pipes), tile-able greenchip and redchip factories and a specific Belt/Inserter factory, then stuff all the lines with copper/iron plates until it works. My first attempt came in at 8:45, then I got double-lazy and turned bugs off entirely and cranked up resources (and refined the blueprints a bit) for 7:05. Since I had so much extra time on my second run I didn't bother with min-maxing calculations and just sat back and let it work till the end. I was completely stiffed on Iron my first run so reloading an old save to refine my attempt wouldn't have worked.

edit: I opted for 'belt hell' in actually linking everything up
Oh, so the way i play the normal game except do it faster i guess... How many belts of each did you use? 4 red iron plus 2 going into steel? 4 belts copper? I have a good sci factory but i don't really have a good feel for the rocket ratios

I've also tweaked my sci factory, need to post the updated blueprint when I'm back at my computer

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just built the rocket structure thingie for the first time (in over 300hrs /played :suicide:) and I'm at eight blue belts of copper, five blue belts of iron, four blue belts of green circuits, two of steel, and I'm still input limited when my blue chip factory spools up.

As always, the solution is MORE GREEN CIRCUITS.

Balance note: I hated being oil (petroleum) limited in the earlier versions of the game. The old oil model just wasn't fun. (Hunting down a jillion pools so you can sustain ops once they've trickled out.) it's much better now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Is there a mod or modpack for Factorio that expands a whole bunch of stuff in order to make the game more "interesting" or intriguing, without explicitly making it considerably harder?

I'm looking for something along the lines of the YogBox from Minecraft, if that makes sense to anyone

Possibly also an accelerated start mod or something that provides some form of logistics-quality-of-life without just flat-out unlocking absolutely everything

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Soooo in BobnAngels to make an Assembly Machine 2 you need Basic Electronic Boards. To make Basic Electronic Boards you need Basic Circuit Boards. To make Basic circuit Boards you have to take Raw Wood and turn it into regular Wood which then gets turned into Wooden Boards which are then combined with Copper Cable to make Basic Circuit Boards. Next you need Basic Electronic Components and Solder. To make Basic Electronic Components you need Tinned Copper Wire and Carbon. Tinned Copper Wire is made with Tin and Copper Wire. To make Carbon you first have to put Coal into an Ore Crusher to get Crushed Coal. Then you smelt the Crushed Coal in a Furnace to get Coke. You then put the Coke into a Liquefier with Carbon Dioxide which is made by putting Coal into another Liquefier to make Carbon. (Also Basic Electronic Components can not be crafted by hand and must be made in an assembler.) Solder is made by combining Solder Plate and Resin. Solder Plate is made by combining Tin and Lead in a Metal Mixing Furnace and Resin is made from Raw Wood. Combining Basic Circuit Boards, Basic Electronic Components, and Solder will give you Basic Electronic Boards. This doesn't include the dozen or so prerequisite researches you need just to be able to make the components or the equipment needed to to make them.

What have I gotten myself into? :psyduck:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jagged Jim posted:

Soooo in BobnAngels to make an Assembly Machine 2 you need Basic Electronic Boards. To make Basic Electronic Boards you need Basic Circuit Boards. To make Basic circuit Boards you have to take Raw Wood and turn it into regular Wood which then gets turned into Wooden Boards which are then combined with Copper Cable to make Basic Circuit Boards. Next you need Basic Electronic Components and Solder. To make Basic Electronic Components you need Tinned Copper Wire and Carbon. Tinned Copper Wire is made with Tin and Copper Wire. To make Carbon you first have to put Coal into an Ore Crusher to get Crushed Coal. Then you smelt the Crushed Coal in a Furnace to get Coke. You then put the Coke into a Liquefier with Carbon Dioxide which is made by putting Coal into another Liquefier to make Carbon. (Also Basic Electronic Components can not be crafted by hand and must be made in an assembler.) Solder is made by combining Solder Plate and Resin. Solder Plate is made by combining Tin and Lead in a Metal Mixing Furnace and Resin is made from Raw Wood. Combining Basic Circuit Boards, Basic Electronic Components, and Solder will give you Basic Electronic Boards. This doesn't include the dozen or so prerequisite researches you need just to be able to make the components or the equipment needed to to make them.

Just wait until you get to Angels petrochem.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Is there a mod or modpack for Factorio that expands a whole bunch of stuff in order to make the game more "interesting" or intriguing, without explicitly making it considerably harder?

I'm looking for something along the lines of the YogBox from Minecraft, if that makes sense to anyone

Possibly also an accelerated start mod or something that provides some form of logistics-quality-of-life without just flat-out unlocking absolutely everything

Just search Quickstart on the in-game mod portal. You can set it to small (handful of burner drills, stone ovens, couple hundred belts, inserters, couple stacks of iron and copper), medium (more of everything, a car, modular armor with personal roboport and 50 construction bots) to large (even more stuff, entire set of logistic chests, entire logistics tree unlocked).

Jagged Jim posted:

Just wait until you get to the tier two electronics!

For those you basically need "all of the above" though instead of the basic board being made out of wood it's combined with resin (same source so whoop-de-do), then you have to make Ferric Chloride (a mixture if iron ore and hydrochloric acid, thankfully easy enough to make with saltwater electrolysis), then you solder on (yes still uses solder) the same resistors Electronic Components and then Transitors. The latter are made of (more) tinned wire, silicon and plastic.

I hope you have Angels Metallurgy because that trivializes the silicone so much.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jagged Jim posted:

yeah, i played a bit with bob's mods and got annoyed that i would have to put down 50+ factories to do something fairly simple. Complexity is ok, pointless complexity is not.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

lol if you don't do belt hell for everything

logistics bots are a sign of a weak mind :viggo:
yea

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cimber posted:

yeah, i played a bit with bob's mods and got annoyed that i would have to put down 50+ factories to do something fairly simple. Complexity is ok, pointless complexity is not.

Bob's by itself is madness to be honest. I know it sounds crazy, but Angels adds complexity that simplifies Bob's. Also Angel's complexity seems...kind unnecessary unless you're using Bob's that needs it. The mods really are a match made in heaven, especially when you can do poo poo that straight up triples your iron production with Angel's Metallurgy.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Alkydere posted:

Bob's by itself is madness to be honest. I know it sounds crazy, but Angels adds complexity that simplifies Bob's. Also Angel's complexity seems...kind unnecessary unless you're using Bob's that needs it. The mods really are a match made in heaven, especially when you can do poo poo that straight up triples your iron production with Angel's Metallurgy.

I really like how Angel's Metallurgy works. I kinda want to use without Bob's;

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

bigmandan posted:

I really like how Angel's Metallurgy works. I kinda want to use without Bob's;

I'm honestly not sure how that would work though. Angels Metallurgy is cool because Bob's gives all those other resources a reason to exist. Without Bob's all you have are...iron copper and uranium for metal ores. Oh and coal->coke->carbon I guess. There's no mixing 12 iron ingots with 12 silicon or manganese ingots to get 240 molten iron and therefore 24 iron plates.

Also, coke is an awesome recipe that basically gives you 25% more energy from your fuel, and clean coke is even better because you can make sulfuric acid from the wastewater it produces.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Bhodi posted:

Oh, so the way i play the normal game except do it faster i guess... How many belts of each did you use? 4 red iron plus 2 going into steel? 4 belts copper? I have a good sci factory but i don't really have a good feel for the rocket ratios

I've also tweaked my sci factory, need to post the updated blueprint when I'm back at my computer

2.5 Iron Plate red belts, 1 Copper, 1 Steel that was one-sided slightly longer than an Iron line (expanded to finish the rocket; consuming 70% of one of the irons)

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I did it gamers

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I did it gamers

Those poor fish. :ohdear:

Now, time for angelbob :getin:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

factorio devs when can i feed fish to biters to tame them

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i'm not ready for sadbiterhungrynow face

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The nuclear stuff the new version added is really fun! Those missiles really remove a lot of the late game drudgery of dealing endless and massive biter bases. They also work great for clearing trees.

My only problem is never having enough uranium. Is there any way to change the resource settings in an existing save?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The only time I ever ran into a real U-238 bottleneck was brief production speed hard caps from filling up a new section of wall with ammo. One 500-600k patch (or less, really) will usually set you for life and then some. Get fuel reprocessing set up if it's not already and make sure your fuel cell/ammo production isn't running away uncapped. Uranium isn't really a meaningfully limited resource in 95% of the use cases Factorio has for it once you have the full processing infrastructure up and running normally.

RSO lets you adjust resource settings in an existing save, but I don't think it affects parts of the map that have already generated at all. Noot sure on that one. :X

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 10, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Galvanik posted:

My only problem is never having enough uranium. Is there any way to change the resource settings in an existing save?

Do you mean "not enough U-235?" Maybe it's because I'm playing with RSO, but I found two 1M uranium patches and they pretty much satisfy all my needs. Kovarex enrichment is powerful.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, if you don't have enough fuel or nukes you aren't doing enough refining. Once you save up 40 to get that first refinery going, it snowballs from there. I think my moderate factory has 6 refineries and it was more than plenty? Could have probably done with half that but i really like nukes. I think i used about 20-30k getting it going and I'm just running power off of the enrichment and the 4 full chests of 238 or whatever the useless dark green one is now.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 10, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, your uranium ore miners are a great thing to spend productivity modules on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have rail world setting and I have 2 >1m patches of uranium, so if you go out there you'll definitely find tons.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LLSix posted:

Is there a good Angel's + Bobs mod pack that's updated for .15?

I never got an answer to this so I put together my own set of mods. Mostly just Angels, Bobs, and AAI. Here it is in case anyone else wants to subject themselves to this madness. It took me about 3 hours just to get off burner mining. At 5 hours in I still haven't finished switching over to non-burner versions of everything.

There's a burner science lab and it takes hundreds of research flasks to be able to research an electric powered one.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Finally beat this game for the first time ever. (Stayed up past my bedtime doing it too! :blush: )

Didn't get around to automating the satellite construction, yet... but I think I can do this a bit faster now that I know what to do now. Even got some trains in!

Speaking of trains, how come if I have a multi-car train, one car empties out significantly faster than the other even though the associated output belts are balanced?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DarkSol posted:

Speaking of trains, how come if I have a multi-car train, one car empties out significantly faster than the other even though the associated output belts are balanced?

Are the things the belts are feeding balanced? Do you have one set of furnaces eating something far faster than anotehr due to belt weirdness down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

DarkSol posted:

I've noticed this happening too - I've an iron ore train unloading onto a 4-4 belt balancer, that then feed into 4 identical sets of smelters, and the 'caboose' car always ends up getting backed up, even as the other three chests empty out. It's bizarre.