Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

(Sorry, I just really love old Fire Emblem art)

No one should ever be sorry for that :colbert:

Can't help but feel like it'd be an improvement if Elice really had been an 80s pop star. The Aum staff will only activate upon the sickest of synth solos, my dude!

Oh, and:

LordHippoman posted:

: None could believe the Resurection Staff was in the Resurrectory. It was the discovery of the century.

This will never cease to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

EclecticTastes posted:

It's a shame you can't use the Aum staff to bring back the person you sacrificed in the prologue, though it's subtle foreshadowing of the revelation in New Mystery that Frey (the canon choice) managed to survive.

It is a little weird, and I was kind of hoping you could so you could get that ~perfect~ run, but I suppose that wouldn't really work given that Aum is untouched in the sequel. That goes onto the debate of "is weapon durability canon" though, and man, I don't think anybody wants to have that discussion.

Miacis posted:

I forget if it's mentioned in the side materials, or if it's just a fan theory, but Gharnef might have kept Aum and the Falchion with him as insurance against Medeus. Backstabbing the guy who has both the best way to kill you, and the best way to revive you is a bit of a hard sell, after all.

That makes a LOT of sense, especially given that he was probably using brainwashed Tiki for that purpose too. I love the idea of Gharnef being super paranoid but still probably right.

Camel Pimp posted:

Elice's art for the original manual was pretty damned amazing, though

camel pimp where the hell do you find all this good art? This and Horse Abel weren't on the wiki at all, and apparently they have some DEVASTATING holes in their galleries.

vilkacis posted:

Can't help but feel like it'd be an improvement if Elice really had been an 80s pop star. The Aum staff will only activate upon the sickest of synth solos, my dude!

It would kinda be an improvement if Elice was much of anything. Her savage diss of Marth at the start of New Mystery is really the only time she does something in the series.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"Ryoma's 'gently caress you' Katana' is called Raijinto, by the way

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

LordHippoman posted:

That makes a LOT of sense, especially given that he was probably using brainwashed Tiki for that purpose too. I love the idea of Gharnef being super paranoid but still probably right.
And this is particularly comical for a man who literally cannot be hurt by anything short of Starlight.

: But what if Medeus enlists the help of Gotoh to slay me?! I need more safeguards!

Or maybe he was planning to get rid of the Darksphere one day (it does do a number on his physical appeal), and retire in a cottage, far from the hubbub of the darkdragonopolis, with his sword, his staff and Tiki I guess.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

LordHippoman posted:

camel pimp where the hell do you find all this good art? This and Horse Abel weren't on the wiki at all, and apparently they have some DEVASTATING holes in their galleries.

There's another Fire Emblem wiki (it's dot org instead of com.) It's nowhere near as good, but it does have some pictures the other doesn't. Also Serenes and tumblr.

Actually, I went and tried to hunt down as much art from the fe1 manual (I'm pretty sure it's from the fe1 manual) as I could. Would anyone be interested in what I found?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

There's another Fire Emblem wiki (it's dot org instead of com.) It's nowhere near as good, but it does have some pictures the other doesn't. Also Serenes and tumblr.

Actually, I went and tried to hunt down as much art from the fe1 manual (I'm pretty sure it's from the fe1 manual) as I could. Would anyone be interested in what I found?

HOw is this even a question. Shower us with that amazing artwork

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot to check that one.

Also, yeah, feel free to post if you have it, I'd certainly love to see it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Miacis posted:

And this is particularly comical for a man who literally cannot be hurt by anything short of Starlight.

: But what if Medeus enlists the help of Gotoh to slay me?! I need more safeguards!

Or maybe he was planning to get rid of the Darksphere one day (it does do a number on his physical appeal), and retire in a cottage, far from the hubbub of the darkdragonopolis, with his sword, his staff and Tiki I guess.

I guess the darksphere doesn't protect from earth dragons.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Okay, first off I gotta warn that the quality fluctuates; some of these I found on the other Fire Emblem wiki, some I found on Serenes, and some I found on various japanese blogposts.

Anyway

Yes I already posted this but it's still amazing.

In case you're wondering, sadly Kain is very normal looking in comparison.

Jagen just looks confused, poor guy.

Draug here is, uh.... a untouch unnerving?

Gordin is worse.

This kind of weird edit is the best version of this image of Caeda I could find. I love how confused her horse is.

Hardin's horse is even more confused.

This picture of Minerva is actually from the soundtrack, I believe, but this art is also in the manual. But the picture I have of her manual art is blurry as hell

I'm not sure what's happening with Palla and Catria here.

I'm not used to old school Julian having pants. Lena looks sad about this.

I think Merric is wearing the same tunic Marth is.

Linde here lookin' good.

Ogma is... well he just looks like he always does. (I couldn't find any art of Naverre in my search for fe1 art, which surprises me. I dunno if I just didn't look hard enough or if he doesn't have any)

Midia's just kinda generic but Astram looks great.

EDIT: I actually had to look this up, but the first one is Wendell, and the second is Boah, and I think both are actually from the fe1 manual (I originally assumed it was just the first) I keep forgetting Wendell and Boah are two different characters.

This is... one of the generic armor knights that come with Midia. What's his face.

Yup, that's Nyna all right.

I can't find anything better for Wrys and Darros here, I'm sorry.

Oh, and of all the characters to get art, Malledus does. Yeah. Go figure.

And in memory of a dear friend, here's Gharnef. He's so happy!

EDIT For posterity, here's Elice

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 25, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Holy poo poo

That is a ton of good stuff, Camel Pimp, thank you again for finding it.

I think the deductions we can make from FE1 manual art can tell us a lot about the game. For example, everyone is either criminally smug or bored, all the time. No one has visible pants except Julian in Archanea, and all the animals are confused or horrified.

In light of this, I've redone a pivotal moment from the previous update to reflect these changes.

(I'm sure someone better at art can come up with a better joke, but I have to pretend to contribute to the thread sometimes.)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Camel Pimp posted:

And in memory of a dear friend, here's Gharnef. He's so happy!

It's treason, then.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh man this is all Good poo poo.

Camel Pimp posted:

Gordin is worse.

"Ladies :heysexy:"

":gonk:"

quote:

I'm not used to old school Julian having pants. Lena looks sad about this.

Of course she does! Hell, I feel sad about this.

quote:

I think Merric is wearing the same tunic Marth is.

Naturally, they're bros. Bros go shopping together for matching outfits. It's a thing.

quote:

That hair looks familiar...!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

vilkacis posted:

That hair looks familiar...!

DUDE! That's avatar level poo poo right there
just without the text cuz' that's goign over my head

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

In light of this, I've redone a pivotal moment from the previous update to reflect these changes.

(I'm sure someone better at art can come up with a better joke, but I have to pretend to contribute to the thread sometimes.)
This Bojack Horseman remake looks weird.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sjs00 posted:

DUDE! That's avatar level poo poo right there
just without the text cuz' that's goign over my head

That's this

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

PS: Secret Poll Time.

How much do people care about the strategy stuff for the bonus maps? I've got the last FE12 DLC map slated to go next, and looking through my screenshots pretty much all the points of interest are just lucky crits or good dodges. Do y'all care a lot about the nitty gritty turn by turn stuff (like, 90 screens) or would you rather I condense it?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Condense for sure; I really enjoy the portraits and rare battle screens though; as well as any strange god-tier units like Michelis in that one chapter

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

as well as any strange god-tier units like Michelis in that one chapter

I have very good news for you when the next update goes up.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Guess what I managed to do~~~

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Camel Pimp posted:

Where's the mask for the pegasus :colbert:?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Camel Pimp posted:

Okay, first off I gotta warn that the quality fluctuates; some of these I found on the other Fire Emblem wiki, some I found on Serenes, and some I found on various japanese blogposts.

CP, you are a treasure. :allears: Gordin's smirk is probably my favorite. Least is definitely the soulless blank eyes the horses have. :gonk:

I don't know if anyone in the know explained it on any other FE LP, but I still have no idea why, when you have Excaliburs and actually fairly obscure mythology references like Gradivus, the ultimate sword is just... a falchion. I mean, I guess it's the falchion, but still.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Wayne posted:

I don't know if anyone in the know explained it on any other FE LP, but I still have no idea why, when you have Excaliburs and actually fairly obscure mythology references like Gradivus, the ultimate sword is just... a falchion. I mean, I guess it's the falchion, but still.

That's interesting. I never knew the Gradivus one. Hauteclere is a reference to a French myth, like Durandal in FE6, Imhullu is Babylonian, and Excalibur's Arthurian, but I've got nothing for Mercurius or Parthia.

Camel Pimp posted:

:eyepop: :eyepop:

By the end of this thread Camel Pimp will have made Shadow Dragon into the best Fire Emblem game, holy poo poo.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

PS: Secret Poll Time.

Sjs00 posted:

Condense for sure; I really enjoy the portraits and rare battle screens though; as well as any strange god-tier units like Michelis in that one chapter

^ What they said.

Camel Pimp posted:

:bisonyes: This is delicious!

Wayne posted:

It's not even actually a falchion! :tizzy:

LordHippoman posted:

I've got nothing for Mercurius or Parthia.

The wiki says

Mercurius posted:

The sword's name is derived from Saint Mercurius, a Christian martyr whose name essentially carries the meaning "wielder of two swords". According to historical scriptures, the second sword that he wielded was a gift bequeathed upon him by the Archangel Michael.

Parthia posted:

Parthia is an ancient country that once existed in the southwestern part of Asia. Becoming a powerful empire around the 2nd century BCE, it collapsed in the 3rd century CE. The Parthians were known to be very skilled in mounted archery.

:shrug:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Bonus Chapter #3: Assassins

: And so, we had vanquished the fearsome Sorcerer, Gharnef, atop his tower, and moved onto…

: You didn’t really vanquish poo poo, Sir Jagen. He came right back.

: What? I mean...it took him a little while! What’s the worst he could have done in the meantime?

: The assassin cult!

: Oh. I always forget about that. I’m getting old, you know.

: ...Step aside, Sir Jagen,

: I’m lying down.

: Roll aside, Sir Jagen, I’ve got a story to tell you this time, courtesy of Katarina...

: The world slowly started to regain stability in the wake of Medeus's destruction. However, the dark powers that Marth banished to the abyss began to rise once more in corners unseen…

Most of the characters in this map are sequel exclusive. We won’t see Katarina, for example, at all in this game.

: Apparently, most of them were vanquished by Prince Marth in the War of Shadows. However, we have reports that the survivors have set up a hideout in this forest and are expanding their influence. They've been caught raiding villages, kidnapping women and children. They're just as evil as before.

: Sigh... It's not like I care what they get up to. Lady Eremiah's order was to kill every last one of them, right?

: Yes. Every last one. The Soothsires have committed far too many crimes. If we kill them, nobody will have to suffer by their hands again…

: Why should we care though? It's only natural that the weak should suffer.

: …Roro, are you going to help us?

(“Eine” is Katarina’s name, or rather, “Katarina” is Eine’s name. It gets explained.)

: Me too.

: Me too, too.

: Alright. Then, let the operation begin.

: Wait. I'm not letting you take the lead. Eine, Roro, let's go. We must fulfill Lady Eremiah's order!

Alright, so, the goal of this one’s pretty clear. Kill every enemy on the field. They’re a mix of Thieves, Hunters, Mages, and Barbarians, so they’re pretty diverse. They’re also separated into small clumps of 5 or so around the map, with a larger group about twice that size in the middle.

Oh, there are also two Heros towards the top. They’re the closest thing to “bosses” in this map.

We get to play as the bad guys in this one!

First up among our units is Roro. That Immortal Axe is basically just a Steel Axe that can be Used to regain 20 HP. He’s decent, but his low Luck opens him to a lot of risk of enemy crits. Being a Berserker, though, he also gets a lot of them.

The other four Berserkers we have are all identical. In fact, they’re identical to the “prime” Roro, but the Roro clones have a different inventory, and no attack/death quotes. Still going to keep them all alive.

(this all probably makes zero sense if you haven’t played new mystery, sorry.)

Kleine is a lot more useful than Roro, honestly. She’s got solid enough speed to double just about anything that she needs to sink two arrows into, and anything quicker than that usually goes down in one. She also has zero luck for some reason, but hopefully she’s not getting hit enough for it to matter much.

Katarina pulls double duty as a magical damage dealer and healer on this map. She might be the most useful unit here, honestly. She’s got some issues with squishiness, but you’ve got a pack of HP sacks in the Roros to play meatshield. Unfortunately, those meatshields do have a tendency to get crit to death.

I start the map off by heading to the right side. Splitting the units seems like a bad idea here, since it’s easier to hold a position and defend than to attack.

I wanted to get all the battle quotes. Even this one.

Spoilers, he can’t.

He REALLY can’t.

This guy is all that’s left of the bottom right group when the Enemy Phase swings around.

The traditional Roro Handshake is given. Unfortunately, another pack of them is descending on the team. Who can help us?

Good.

: Ve vill not forgive selfish creatures who make people suffer. Ve vill rescue the vee vuns. It's vat any voman vould do.

: Do you have to talk like

: Yes.

Athena is...also coming. By complete accident. She’s honestly not very useful here, her speed is just barely too low to double much. But, I mean, Wo Dao crits could help. Those two potions in her inventory are sequel exclusive consumables that up a stat by 2 for one chapter. Kind of like a temporary Energy Drop and Dracoshield. For the purposes of this DLC, though, you can drop the “temporary”.

She can also chat with Katarina.

: Athena. Ve are Athena. Ve came to save the vee vuns.

: Athena... you say? The myrmidon who fought alongside Prince Marth in the previous war...?

: Vat? Have ve met before?

: Oh no, this is the first time. Miss Athena, you should stand back rather than force yourself. We can handle the rest.

She’s giving pretty good advice. I’m trying to stay on the defensive here, rather than charge into that whole clump of enemies.

Yikes. Athena’s issues on this map are kind of a microcosm of the problems with Shadow Dragon/New Mystery Myrmidons in general. They rely on doubles/crits to do anything, and they’re squishy melee units in a game where hit rates are really generous.

Thankfully, nobody dies, and the enemies are in convenient range for me to do whatever I need to on this turn.

I spared you the house-cleaning, but it pretty much all just looked like this.

Of more concern, perhaps, is that by the third turn the enemies have tired of my turtling and have started to rush the safety corner.

No better time to have a chat (and drink a potion).

: What the hell's with you? Why have you come here?

: Ve came to save the vee vuns. You too?

: ...Oh well, I suppose you could put it that way. Explaining it properly would be a pain.

: Very vell. Then count this voman on your side.

: Sigh. ...I think it'd be easier if we just killed her... Oh, who cares. As long as you don't get in the way, you can do whatever pleases you.

She’s charming.

So, uh, back to this. Slowly advancing upwards.

We’re getting pincer attacked, though, as the left group I ignored at the beginning has decided it’s high time to make their move.

:smith: athena

:unsmith:

This happened a lot. You’re pretty reliant on either these or getting dodges off in the forest tiles on this map, at least if you play like me (stupidly).

Basically, I’m just continuing to push north, making sure that the healthiest Roros are always in the enemy’s path. Injured Roros use a Vulnerary, Katarina and Kleine snipe, and Athena sits there. Let’s have the final talk for this map.

: Kleine, are you safe?

: Of course I am. You can be annoying sometimes. Why do you always dangle after me?

: That’s because...I’m your big sister.

: That crap again? You’re really bugging me. Don’t say that crap again, not until you’ve killed many more people than me.

: Oh, Kleine…

: Ba-dum-chh!

: …

: It felt appropriate.

Cleaning up the remainder of this pack doesn’t take long, especially due to Kleine’s fantastic damage. Her growths do leave something to be desired, though, apparently.

That pack on the left has finally caught up to us, but thankfully Katarina’s surprisingly dodgy.

Also she’s gonna show up Kleine.

Now that all but the Heros are down, it’s time to finish this map.

Or not. Reinforcements!

LOTS of reinforcements. This bodes poorly.

We aren’t going to last too long against all these new units. They also all rush us.

Thankfully, the cavalry has arrived. Well, she’s a Bishop. But who’s that Sorcerer next to her?

:eyepop:

: Yes, Master Gharnef.

: Good, I think I’ll watch as well. Heh heh heh…

Eremiah is extremely good. Both of these tomes are absent from Shadow Dragon. Nosferatu basically lets her survive forever, since it returns all damage done to her as HP, and Meteor has infinite range. There’s a reason they wait until the end of the map to give you access to her.

Gharnef is Gharnef. He is literally unkillable, so long as he has Imhullu equipped. Suffice to say that every unit on this screen is hosed.

Really, the bigger danger here is keeping everyone else alive.

But, for now, let’s just celebrate with our new busted units.

:getin:

So long as everyone survives this turn, I should be okay.

To remove one of the biggest threats on the map, Eremiah and Gharnef gang up on a Hero.

:smith:

I just BARELY scrape by. Roro got attacked three times and had to dodge one.

Time for Roro to get the hell out of here and chew on his Axe for HP.

There seems to be quite a split in level quality today.

Still, with Eremiah and Gharnef around, there’s nothing that can stand in our way anymore.

Thankfully this doesn’t even matter.

:toot:

Prepare to enter the EXPOSITION ZONE.

: There might be prisoners. Let’s search inside.

: Do we have to? What a pain. Hm? What’s this? These are rather expensive-looking paintings…

: It seems that stolen artworks are stored here; jewellery, paintings, furniture...

: Sigh...

: Kleine?

: ...You go ahead.

: ...Alright.

: Eremiah. You have raised your children well. I'm sure they will be of use. They're worthy of being my dearest pawns.

: Your praise is too much, Master Gharnef.

: However... One of the puppets has an interesting connection with the Soothsire subjugation. That girl... doesn't know, does she? Her origins... Why she lost her parents... Or who pulled the strings behind it all…

: Indeed. She knows nothing.

: Heh heh heh... Poor little puppet…

The scene changes again here. That happens a lot.

: Kleine, we’ve located the captives.

: …...

: Kleine…? What’s wrong, you’ve been acting odd.

: Huh…?

: A big, warm room... Soft carpet... A family portrait... The two of them smiled... And gently... patted my head…

: Kleine...

: But... but... Of course, they're... They're all...

: ...

: It’s only natural for the weak...to suffer...But…

This backstory on Kleine is kinda...strange, because it never really comes to anything. Even in the main game, her only real character trait is “i’m an rear end in a top hat”. I can appreciate it, though, it’s a nice effort.

The blink timing strikes again.

: Thank you, miss!

: Err…

: Hmm?

: My name is Katarina. What's your name, miss?

: I... ...I'm called Katarina, too. The same as you.

So, I think this is where Eine gets her fake name, Katarina, but it’s a little confusing since her nameplate still refers to her as Katarina throughout the entire map.

: I see. I'm so happy... I have the same name as you, miss! See you later, miss!

: Yes, later…

: ...What are you doing? We're going back, Eine. Also... Don't tell anyone about what happened today, alright?

: Yes, Kleine.

: The end.

: Eh. Not a very good story, kid.

: It was great!

: Nobody changed class. No magical artifacts. No Prince Marth. I wasn’t in it. There were too many Roros. I didn’t like all the critical hits.

Bonus Content

Again, thanks to the Fire Emblem wiki. This artwork is from Katarina’s DLC appearance in Awakening.

: Nobody teleported. No Fortify staves. No Swarm bishops. Too many ellipsis. I didn’t like the map.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 10, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp please mod in Professor Marth's hat also while you're at it thank you very much.

That said: Nope! Still can't get over Eine, Kleine, and... Roro.

And Legion isn't any better either.

LordHippoman posted:

That pack on the left has finally caught up to us, but thankfully Katarina’s surprisingly dodgy.

Dodging isn't exactly the thing that pose makes me think of. More like...

You want fisticuffs? You want karate?!

Gharnef showing up with immortality hax in place like Imhullu motherfuckers! is the funniest thing. I always appreciate getting to play with the antagonists for a bit, but this version is more amusing than most.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I always like these kind of things in games, where you get to mess around with the other side &/or use crazy broken units. And Althena, who is here too, for some reason.
I'm surprised they even let characters level up on this map. You only leveled up twice! Fates & Echoes' similar DLC just locks you to your level.

also can't show Katarina's DLC appearance without mentioning she's the reward for the final DLC released for Awakening, Apotheosis. The hardest map offered among the 3ds games, designed for all those people who minmaxed to hell and back!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, more growth rate chat! The various bad guys you get to play as in that DLC map have such poor growths because, as is usually the case, they have no personal growth rates of their own, and have only the abysmal growths offered by their class. The only growth above fifty percent among the four of them is the 70% on HP Berserkers have, everything else that isn't a flat zero tops off at 40%. Katarina and Athena, being full-fledged characters, have actual growth rates, hence their solid level-ups.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

You want fisticuffs? You want karate?!

I will never stop championing the cause of "please put monks/grapplers/punchfolks in fire emblem".

Punch-Monks, not Lucius-Monks. Or both.

rannum posted:

also can't show Katarina's DLC appearance without mentioning she's the reward for the final DLC released for Awakening, Apotheosis. The hardest map offered among the 3ds games, designed for all those people who minmaxed to hell and back!

I've tried to block Apotheosis out of my mind as much as possible, but this is true. (And it is pretty fun if you want a challenge.)

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, more growth rate chat! The various bad guys you get to play as in that DLC map have such poor growths because, as is usually the case, they have no personal growth rates of their own, and have only the abysmal growths offered by their class. The only growth above fifty percent among the four of them is the 70% on HP Berserkers have, everything else that isn't a flat zero tops off at 40%. Katarina and Athena, being full-fledged characters, have actual growth rates, hence their solid level-ups.

Oh, so they only use the class growths? That's interesting, and it explains a lot. Those are still way better levels than Katarina and Athena tend to get in the real game, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Apothesis got really easy once you figured out the secret that having basic Snipers with 3 range bows destroyed most of the map. My Chrom as a Sniper and Luna was basically the same set-up for everyone.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Tae posted:

Apothesis got really easy once you figured out the secret that having basic Snipers with 3 range bows destroyed most of the map. My Chrom as a Sniper and Luna was basically the same set-up for everyone.

Whereas I forgot the Longbow was even in Awakening, so that sorta says a lot about how much I knew about good builds and skills in that game. I got about as far as "Galeforce is good" and then it was mostly lost on me.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I will never stop championing the cause of "please put monks/grapplers/punchfolks in fire emblem".

Punch-Monks, not Lucius-Monks. Or both.

/digs in image archive

Definitely both :colbert:

My only memory of Apowhatsis is that it took forever for a maxed out sorcatar to solo the first round with a forged Aversa's Night and carrying Chrom under one arm, so I never bothered to try the following ones. But kudos for making the only map in Awakening where archers are actually good, I guess :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Whereas I forgot the Longbow was even in Awakening, so that sorta says a lot about how much I knew about good builds and skills in that game. I got about as far as "Galeforce is good" and then it was mostly lost on me.

To be fair without reclassing or getting literally the second-to-last kid your only option for archer/sniper is Virion, who kinda suffers from the usual FE archer problem of just plain not being a very good unit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vilkacis posted:

/digs in image archive

drat, I was thinking a face cut-in and then something like this.

http://i.imgur.com/qIKmtMY.mp4

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's the critical hit.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 24: Day Late, Dolhr Short (Prep)

I’d like to congratulate our friend Athena on making it into Fire Emblem Heroes, even if that dates the hell out of this update.

: but when the Shadow Dragon came, everything changed. He sunk all Archanea into a cycle of war, in which heroes rose and heroes fell- always claiming his cause was just and the humans’ deaths deserved. But now Medeus’s empire was crumbling…He was nearing the end of his reign…even as Marth was nearing the end of his long quest.

Before we jump into this map, let’s look at one of the game’s final characters, Elice.

Elice has the highest natural magic growth in the game, but good luck using it when she comes in like this. In fact, most of her growths are good, but it’s sorta hard to salvage a Level 10 unit in the penultimate map, especially one with base stats like that.

The A Rank in Staves is pretty nice, I guess, but it only really exists if you need someone to use the Legendary Staff.

So we’re just going with the usual squad for this. Sorry, Elice.

I have a lot of money, and we’re almost out of opportunities to do this.

I’m not lying to you, or myself.

This is a pretty huge map with a lot to deal with, so let’s get going.

We’ll be running into a ton of Manaketes, so if you have the Effective weapons for Dragons on hand, it’s time to bust them out.

Also dotting the map are forts. You’ll want to be blocking these off, otherwise reinforcements will spawn until Turn 49! If you’d rather grind for experience, though, leave them alone.

On the southern path here, there’s a Hero and two Manaketes guarding the Resurrectory. We don’t have anyone dead to USE the staff on, but hey, why leave it lying around?

In case you thought we were free of Fortify Curates, you were wrong, I’m sorry, hypothetical reader.

Pretty much all the enemies on this map are quite formidable, so it’s time to field your strongest units.

The boss, Xemcel, has a Magestone, so he does do magic damage. He’s pretty tough, but he’s still a stationary boss, so there’s not too much to worry about so long as you take it slow and don’t get ambushed by reinforcements.

Art Gallery VII

Manaketes! Dragonkin! Weird People! Let’s look at ‘em!

We’ve got our two playables, Bantu and Tiki here. They both haven’t changed much over the years, but how did that rad little blue dragon never show up in the games? What is that? Explain, Fire Emblem.

This might be a bit of a premature showing of Medeus, but he never even physically appears in the game until the next map so gently caress it. I think the winner here is his grabby hands in The Complete artbook version.

To round us off, here’s a very rounded Gotoh and a very chill Xane. See you next time.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

LordHippoman posted:

I'd like to congratulate our friend Athena on making it into Fire Emblem Heroes, even if that dates the hell out of this update.

:stare:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LordHippoman posted:

We’ve got our two playables, Bantu and Tiki here. They both haven’t changed much over the years, but how did that rad little blue dragon never show up in the games? What is that? Explain, Fire Emblem.

Tiki actually had a hood in the original FE1, which you can see hints of in FE3B1 via the cloak she's wearing

To my knowledge, this aspect of her design has been ignored ever since.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I finally figured out what this reminds me of! It's that Shoebill from that Kemono Friends annie-may!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I believe the artist also did Eliwood's artwork. Miyuu (the artist's name) has some...interesting opinions on eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Tiki actually had a hood in the original FE1, which you can see hints of in FE3B1 via the cloak she's wearing

To my knowledge, this aspect of her design has been ignored ever since.

I tried to find official art with the hood, after seeing the portrait, but I couldn't, so I don't think it's ever been drawn either. I think it might just exist in those two portraits.

:negative:

At least they kept the accent.

• Locked thread