Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yeah just have him shut up on Tweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From what I've heard Prey is good in ways that sound similar to the ways Avellone Joints are good (surprising reactions to player choice, taking weird questions about the setting into account etc) and I wonder how much Avellone contributed to it because from what I saw him say I figured he just wrote some audio logs

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

While I've been negative about Avellone in this thread for his passive-aggressive jabs at Obsidian, I'm still super-excited about the fact that he's contributing to so many projects. He's an amazing writer and I want to read *more* not less characters and stories from him.

I hope he doesn't push himself too hard, though. Like.. man, he looks rough in that photo.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems like in half these project a team on the other side of the world puts Avellone front and center in their kickstarter marketing and then has him, like, proofread a couple design docs or write a single character.

Really don't give a poo poo any more.

"AVELLONE TOUCHED OUR STORY.TXT WITH HIS MAGIC PEN!!"
:lol:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Nerds have built a really weird cult of personality around Avellone. Its not like he's the only writer who worked on any of the games he worked on, and some of the stuff we know he explicitly wrote in Pillars especially really wasn't... good. It clashed pretty heavily with the tone of the rest of the game.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

Nerds have built a really weird cult of personality around Avellone. Its not like he's the only writer who worked on any of the games he worked on, and some of the stuff we know he explicitly wrote in Pillars especially really wasn't... good. It clashed pretty heavily with the tone of the rest of the game.

Agree. The guy's definitely got chops but I feel like he's riding the good PR he's gotten recently a bit too hard.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I dunno, I rather liked GM's more surreal stuff, and I'm kind of sad that it seems that the vast majority of the weirder stuff he wrote was cut off. It'd have made a nice contrast to Pillars' otherwise more grounded (at least for fantasy) setting. That said, I do understand that's why it would've clashed with the rest of the game's design philosophy.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Zore posted:

I'd chalk that more to the weird management of narrative aspects that were admittedly seat-of-the-pants for the most part. Obsidian really tackled the technical challenge of making an IE game exactly the way they were supposed to, but locked themselves into first draft on a lot of other things.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
For the people wondering whether Pathfinder Kingmaker is worth backing, IGN has some gameplay. Definitely cribbing a lot of UI stuff from Tyranny and PoE.

The music track is already annoying me, though, so I hope the final game doesn't keep it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

For the people wondering whether Pathfinder Kingmaker is worth backing, IGN has some gameplay. Definitely cribbing a lot of UI stuff from Tyranny and PoE.

The music track is already annoying me, though, so I hope the final game doesn't keep it.

Good to see Tyranny's keyword system is catching on. Probably the best thing in that game.

Not thrilled to see an alignment system and the combat looks a little slow/clunky, but I'm interested in the kingdom-building and politics stuff they're showing off. We'll see if it ends up having any actual depth.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Pathfinder is essentially D&D 3.5 with a few house rules. Of course it was gonna have alignments.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
looks deffo that they're licensing the pillars engine. which is fine by me. if I could realistically play nothing but isometric rpgs with a good technical base I'd be a happy fella.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Pathfinder is essentially D&D 3.5 with a few house rules. Of course it was gonna have alignments.

I know that, doesn't mean I have to like it. :colbert:

I've never played Pathfinder. Can I assume it maintains all of the favored grog elements, such as piles of trap choices and wizard supremacy?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Absolutely.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it seems like in half these project a team on the other side of the world puts Avellone front and center in their kickstarter marketing and then has him, like, proofread a couple design docs or write a single character.

Really don't give a poo poo any more.

"AVELLONE TOUCHED OUR STORY.TXT WITH HIS MAGIC PEN!!"
:lol:

Let me know when he decides to fulfill the previous two stretch goals he was supposed to do and then abandoned without a word.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Oh good, I can relive my childhood by taking the toughness feat. More HP is a solid pick, right?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Let me know when he decides to fulfill the previous two stretch goals he was supposed to do and then abandoned without a word.

Did he skip writing some novellas or something?

And yeah, Avellone coming in and writing a couple quests or a companion is not really a selling point for me these days. Doesn't help that his characters tend to be the dark, brooding sorts who are there to deconstruct the plot and poo poo all over everything you do.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"Congratulations on playing the game, idiot. Or should I say, being played? You are so dumb and I am so smart. Let me educate you by never shutting the gently caress up about it for the entire game. Also, this setting's core conceits are the worst thing and anyone who likes them is terrible--and since you wanted to play a game set in the Dumb-verse you are clearly terrible. :smugdog:"

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Wha? The Pillars novella's available in my Steam under DLC.

Look for the "House of Wael".

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The audio version is narrated by the Thaos guy and it's pretty good, if you like weird fantasy. You can also tell that it was actually written pretty early in the process of development because there are sidebars going over game item concepts, most of which rely on mechanics that aren't in the final product and seem pretty far off.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Playing Baldur's Gate I, ran into ankhegs with my level one party. After a reload I had my dwarf barbarian drink a potion of invulnerability and had them tank, my party is now level 3.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Pathfinder seems to have less trap choices, to me, but that might just be having a good DM who adjusts well to party capabilities. At the very least, my weird gimmick characters don't feel worthless compared to the people who build around dealing as much damage and having as high AC as possible :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Count Uvula posted:

Pathfinder seems to have less trap choices, to me, but that might just be having a good DM who adjusts well to party capabilities. At the very least, my weird gimmick characters don't feel worthless compared to the people who build around dealing as much damage and having as high AC as possible :shrug:

Pathfinder is probably a step up from 2e but, hilariously, manages to gently caress up a bunch of stuff from 3.5 which its built on. And 3.5 has a lot of issues to begin with.

Its also an absolutely terrible system for RTWP, but that poo poo is par for the course at this point.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

RTWP itself is a pretty terrible system most of the time tbh. It's nice in FTL I guess.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And yeah, Avellone coming in and writing a couple quests or a companion is not really a selling point for me these days. Doesn't help that his characters tend to be the dark, brooding sorts who are there to deconstruct the plot and poo poo all over everything you do.

Cass, Old World Blues, Erritis... I could go on, but the idea that Avellone only writes brooding stuff is more of a stereotype than something rooted in reality. Also, it'd probably help if people *read* about Avellone's involvement before getting excited. If the dude says that he's only working on providing feedback to the team, maybe don't expect Planescape: Torment.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Cass, Old World Blues, Erritis... I could go on, but the idea that Avellone only writes brooding stuff is more of a stereotype than something rooted in reality. Also, it'd probably help if people *read* about Avellone's involvement before getting excited. If the dude says that he's only working on providing feedback to the team, maybe don't expect Planescape: Torment.

Durance, Kreia, Ulysses, Dead Money... I'd bet these examples stand out a little more in people's memories. He can write other stuff, but he seems to return to the deconstruction and challenging the player well with some regularity.

And it would also help if Kickstarters stopped namedropping the man at every opportunity, but I understand the marketing motivations in doing so. People want video game celebrities and he's having his moment in the sun.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Durance, Kreia, Ulysses, Dead Money... I'd bet these examples stand out a little more in people's memories. He can write other stuff, but he seems to return to the deconstruction and challenging the player well with some regularity.

And it would also help if Kickstarters stopped namedropping the man at every opportunity, but I understand the marketing motivations in doing so. People want video game celebrities and he's having his moment in the sun.

Uh, I replied to this post but the forums seem to have.. eaten the reply? I don't know what's going on, to be honest. Anyway, to summarize my opinion, my point is that Avellone has a range that is often not acknowledged and that his contributions with feedback, NPCs, and areas can still be rather helpful, even when he does not have a core creative role, much like it happened with Pillars. Is he overused as a marketing stunt?

Well, yeah, but that happens with all big household names in any field.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The legendarily godawful voice acting, dated graphics, incredibly poor game balance, unfocused narrative, the list goes on. If your game requires a shitload of fan modding/patching to be fun (or in this case playable) it reflects on you as a developer.

Like, I loved playing through SS and even bought that weird crappy sequel/expansion, but the game's got problems to say the least. It certainly doesn't make me want to advance them money for something as complicated as Pathfinder.
I'm quite confident that the people who made silent storm are better at game balance than the people who made pathfinder.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dick Burglar posted:

"Congratulations on playing the game, idiot. Or should I say, being played? You are so dumb and I am so smart. Let me educate you by never shutting the gently caress up about it for the entire game. Also, this setting's core conceits are the worst thing and anyone who likes them is terrible--and since you wanted to play a game set in the Dumb-verse you are clearly terrible. :smugdog:"

I was totally onboard with this for Star Wars, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fintilgin posted:

It's pretty good in any established setting, really. Anything with a bunch of existing expectations baked into it that you can poke at.

It's when you try and do it as part of a completely new setting that it all falls a bit flat.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Some Tyranny news soon:

https://twitter.com/TyrannyGame/status/873574749552640000

Also, some Pathfinder gameplay footage: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/09/pathfinder-kingmaker-could-scratch-your-dd-rpg-itch

(Don't think that was posted here yet.)

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

:kiss:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Uh, I replied to this post but the forums seem to have.. eaten the reply? I don't know what's going on, to be honest. Anyway, to summarize my opinion, my point is that Avellone has a range that is often not acknowledged and that his contributions with feedback, NPCs, and areas can still be rather helpful, even when he does not have a core creative role, much like it happened with Pillars. Is he overused as a marketing stunt?

Well, yeah, but that happens with all big household names in any field.

Your post is probably in an abortion thread somewhere.

Anyway, Pathfinder looks cool. I managed to grab an Early Bird.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 10, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Phlegmish posted:

Your post is probably in an abortion thread somewhere.

Anywa, Pathfinder looks cool. I managed to grab an Early Bird.

Same here, it doesn't hurt that the actual game is fully funded and the kickstarter is just for expanding it so it's pretty much a preorder.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I liked Tyranny even though it was really short.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

I'm torn on Kreia. On one hand, yeah, a lot of the lore about the Force and stuff is kind of really stupid, but on the other hand it's what makes Star Wars Star Wars as opposed to other fiction set in space. When you deconstruct everything that makes Star Wars stand out and point out how dumb it is, it basically signals (to me at least) that you just don't like the setting and are doing a game set in that universe out of spite, rather than doing it because you're interested in challenging people to look beyond "Jedi good, Sith bad."

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I'm not exactly familiar with Avellone's work since i wasn't big into western RPGs growing up and PoE is basically my first IE game, but I don't understand all the love on the Internet for Durance at all. Maybe it's because I'm still early in the game but so far he's been not much more than "haha I'm a kooky rear end in a top hat who knows more stuff than you do".

Like I can't tell if I'm supposed to be reacting to all the poo poo he says as world-changing revelations or the rantings of an edgelord but either way it's not really adding to my enjoyment of the game. I'm hoping the character develops in a big way.

By contrast I had a big dumb smile on my face every time Eder talks about animals and it's enough to make me never want to remove him from my party.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Vargs posted:

RTWP itself is a pretty terrible system most of the time tbh. It's nice in FTL I guess.
It really breaks my flow. If you've got turns, you know exactly how long some three turn effect is going to take. If you're real time, you grow an intuitive feeling for how long something lasts.

In Pillars the flow of time depends on how much stuff I need to do. I never really got a feel for the length of any effect so I had to keep checking for how much longer something would last, and I never really had an intuition for how long something would take to kill because in the next thirty real world seconds I might get two or twenty attacks in.

Geektox posted:

I'm not exactly familiar with Avellone's work since i wasn't big into western RPGs growing up and PoE is basically my first IE game, but I don't understand all the love on the Internet for Durance at all. Maybe it's because I'm still early in the game but so far he's been not much more than "haha I'm a kooky rear end in a top hat who knows more stuff than you do".
I just liked him for having a ~mystery~ and being outspoken and generally memorable. That's not to say he's amazing or the greatest character ever, but in the context of Pillars he was one of my favorites.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 10, 2017

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm torn on Kreia. On one hand, yeah, a lot of the lore about the Force and stuff is kind of really stupid, but on the other hand it's what makes Star Wars Star Wars as opposed to other fiction set in space. When you deconstruct everything that makes Star Wars stand out and point out how dumb it is, it basically signals (to me at least) that you just don't like the setting and are doing a game set in that universe out of spite, rather than doing it because you're interested in challenging people to look beyond "Jedi good, Sith bad."

Is there a good write-up somewhere explaining Kreia and Avallone's involvement? Been a long while since I played KOTOR.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Geektox posted:

Maybe it's because I'm still early in the game but so far he's been not much more than "haha I'm a kooky rear end in a top hat who knows more stuff than you do".

Like I can't tell if I'm supposed to be reacting to all the poo poo he says as world-changing revelations or the rantings of an edgelord but either way it's not really adding to my enjoyment of the game. I'm hoping the character develops in a big way.

You're kind of on the right track here with why I personally like him, at least. And yes, you're supposed to look at him like he's a mental case.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Geektox posted:

By contrast I had a big dumb smile on my face every time Eder talks about animals and it's enough to make me never want to remove him from my party.
He's a crazy hobo with schizophrenia and you get to hear all his crazy stories without needing to smell piss and poo poo or get uncomfortable when he leers at your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually don't remember what Durance was about at all...but I may have clicked through a lot of his lines.

• Locked thread