Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
:grovertoot:

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Awww, Grover's house had an adorable little litter of shacks!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And to think, house eugenics could've prevented all this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do the germans have a word for "settling for the only option available, and pretending it's cool and trendy and what you actually want to stave off crushing depression"?

Maybe the old term "Settlers" could come back in fashion. "We're Settlers in this here new millennium, in that we settled for the only piece of poo poo we could afford."

Reverse GIS'ing it, they're for the homeless, so I don't think the goal is to be cool and trendy.

It looks uncomfortably claustrophobic, but these people are probably happy to have some shelter at all.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice initiative to hide the homeless.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im that guys nose situation

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
To be honest if I lived alone I wouldn't mind a tiny home like that. As long as there's enough room to live comfortably it'd be no problem. I tend to hide in my bedroom which isn't all that big when l need alone time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That's basically what the tiny homes used to help the homeless are. They're just bedrooms and the properties usually have a communal building with everything else the residents need. It really isn't a bad setup.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

swordfish duelist posted:

To be honest if I lived alone I wouldn't mind a tiny home like that. As long as there's enough room to live comfortably it'd be no problem. I tend to hide in my bedroom which isn't all that big when l need alone time.

Well if so, you should move to san francisco, you can get a 10 sqft room inside a washing mashine and sleep in there

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
In a few years when we're all made redundant by automation maybe we'll all get one!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Karate Bastard posted:

In a few years when we're all made redundant by automation maybe we'll all get one!

60 years ago: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation
50 years ago: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation
40 years ago: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation
30 years ago: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation
20 years ago: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation
10 years ago: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation
5 years ago: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation
Today: In a few years we'll all be out of jobs due to automation

Any day now guys, promise

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PCOS Bill posted:

maybe we can all chip in and get you a robot to post for you friend.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phlegmish posted:

Reverse GIS'ing it, they're for the homeless, so I don't think the goal is to be cool and trendy.

I'm sure some places build them extra tiny for the homeless, but poor dumbass hipsters, WITH KIDS, are putting thousand of dollars down to live in a place the same size as my bedroom, and acting like it's the cool thing to do. Last I heard they were starting around $40k.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You can buy a 1200 square foot house in Pittsburgh for that. That's smarter than new construction at any size!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea true, they had it worse a century ago. its verifiably true

we should all just settle down and die i guess, not give a gently caress about anyone alive or all the future

i suppose whoever comes after can say with a true heart too: "well they had it worse before"

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

PCOS Bill posted:

The automation craze was kinda stifled by the fact that robots cost money maintain

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
That and never in the history of humanity has technology decreased the number of jobs available. Its called the luddite fallacy.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

That and never in the history of humanity has technology decreased the number of jobs available. Its called the luddite fallacy.

I read somewhere recently that the only job that has ever been completely replaced by automation is lift (elevator) operator.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What's the fallacy called where you assume that a service industry job is equivalent to a manufacturing job? The total number of jobs might not decrease but what we actually care about are the number of GOOD jobs.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

Unless you're​ a horse.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Tiny house communities are super trendy right now

Cool play houses. Should get one for my kids.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Imagined posted:

What's the fallacy called where you assume that a service industry job is equivalent to a manufacturing job?

or that any specific job is the same as any other specific job even if within the same field?

Imagined posted:

The total number of jobs might not decrease but what we actually care about are the number of GOOD jobs.

same

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Imagined posted:

What's the fallacy called where you assume that a service industry job is equivalent to a manufacturing job? The total number of jobs might not decrease but what we actually care about are the number of GOOD jobs.

Technology replacing manufacturing jobs is A Good Thing in general. Yeah if it happens to gently caress over people too old to adapt and too young to retire that sucks, but those jobs are disappearing whether we protect them or not.

If you resist automation, you'll only delay it a short while. Protectionism fails when your competitors pick the economic solution and out-compete you.

Maybe the short delay of protectionism helps workers a few years from retirement, but it fucks those who ought to be switching careers now who instead stay in a dying field.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I didn't say I had a solution. Just that all jobs are not equal so any argument based on that premise, e.g. "Automation increases the number of jobs!", is disingenuous at best.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Those were poo poo jobs, they just had unions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do the germans have a word for "settling for the only option available, and pretending it's cool and trendy and what you actually want to stave off crushing depression"?

Maybe the old term "Settlers" could come back in fashion. "We're Settlers in this here new millennium, in that we settled for the only piece of poo poo we could afford."

Afraid there's already a mainstream ad campaign doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLtZlTSbYw

Also I thought "buggy whip manufacturers" was the go-to obsolescence poster child.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

JoelJoel posted:

Those were poo poo jobs, they just had unions.

gently caress you

unions are good for everyone and if you disagree youre either dumb as dirt or rich as gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe the factory robots got better unions than the humans

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, the can hunger strike for longer...

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Powaqoatse posted:

gently caress you

unions are good for everyone and if you disagree youre either dumb as dirt or rich as gently caress

How the hell do you take someone saying unions made poo poo jobs less poo poo as being negative?

Oh you agree with me?

Well gently caress you you idiot!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress manufacture, it's the poo poo's in the wrong place business that's gonna be out of humans before long. Not only are machines better at putting stuff in the right place, they'll kill less humans doing it too, warehouses to taxis to airplanes to container vessels to fecking mobility scooters. That's what 30% of jobs in America no? Probably won't put poo poo in the wrong place to begin with either and o poo poo there went the management jobs too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Powaqoatse posted:

gently caress you

You must be in the blanket making union.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Unions suck

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

PCOS Bill posted:

Unions suck money away from the bloated corporations that reap the benefit of the back-breaking labor of the poor

Same

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Why so many words?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PCOS Bill posted:

Unions suck

Haha, pull it back. Don't want anyone to catch a glimpse behind the curtain.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

PCOS Bill posted:

Unions suck

Totally agree. We should all toil away so our wealthy overlords remain happy and fat. Surely they will see it in their fattened arteries to trickle sweet living onto us from on high.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We Know Catheters posted:

Why so many words?

?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dude has the weirdest hearing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I'm starting to think Eggplant Wizard was right, since goons can't handle someone accidentally posting the wrong picture in the Funny Pictures Thread without causing a multiple page political derail.