Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I have two 1TB SSDs, I was just curious. The second one is just there to be non-loud storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have two 1TB SSDs, I was just curious. The second one is just there to be non-loud storage.

I mean, it's fine. Going full SSD is on my to-do list this year as at idle my two HDDs are the noisiest items in my PC.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

VulgarandStupid posted:

How important is one SSD for your OS and another for your games? I've been hearing more and more that it makes a difference.

It's probably people who saw huge gains from a SSD / HDD setup and falsely attributed much of the goodness to splitting OS and apps across two drives when 99% of it was just getting something off of spinning rust. Then they try SSD / SSD and confirmation bias themselves into believing that they spent their money wisely.

I am skeptical because, in a single SSD system, if your OS is thrashing the disk so hard that it measurably impacts game performance, you have other problems.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

BobHoward posted:

It's probably people who saw huge gains from a SSD / HDD setup and falsely attributed much of the goodness to splitting OS and apps across two drives when 99% of it was just getting something off of spinning rust. Then they try SSD / SSD and confirmation bias themselves into believing that they spent their money wisely.

I am skeptical because, in a single SSD system, if your OS is thrashing the disk so hard that it measurably impacts game performance, you have other problems.

Yea like I said, I was just curious. Whoever was spouting off about this was saying Windows 10 is trash garbage, etc. Probably didn't go through all the settings and turn off everything.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I've separated Steam to it's own SSD to avoid re downloading games.
Easy to do wipe and reinstall for the OS if things go sideways or to simply move to a new system.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BobHoward posted:

why would anyone think this; the only time ssd/hdd systems are recommended it's framed by 'fast disk for your programs, slow disk for your media' etc

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive that just threw a Windows unreadable sector error. Not too happy about that.. would you all just RMA it right off? Run CHKDSK /R? Throw out the window?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

I've got a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive that just threw a Windows unreadable sector error. Not too happy about that.. would you all just RMA it right off? Run CHKDSK /R? Throw out the window?

Start with checking SMART data, Crystal Disk Info and/or Samsung Magician.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Start with checking SMART data, Crystal Disk Info and/or Samsung Magician.

Hmmm...

edit: chkdsk locks up, *sigh* time to try a secure erase

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 28, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have an Asus laptop here with one of those built in 24gb SSDs I assume for the OS. Someone had tampered with the thing and it was stuck on a BIOS password when you turned it on, managed to get around that. I went to reinstall Windows, the SSD was split up into a 6gb OEM reserved part and then 16gb primary. Couldn't do anything with either from the Windows installer, just hung there, I wanted to just delete the partitions and merge it as one. Cant install to them the way they are because the 6 isn't big enough and the other one isn't formatted as NTFS. Installed to the terabyte HDD fine but would be a waste to just ignore the SSD. Seems like it should be pretty cut and dry, anything to consider with these small built in ones?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it an Intel Rapid Storage setup?

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont think so, theres no mention of it in the BIOS anyway, which has been updated to the latest version. This is the laptop. Sometimes in disk management it says disk not initialized, and it wont no matter if I pick GPT or MBR. Then another time I booted up and it showed up in disk management but not in explorer, and all looked healthy but I couldn't access any context options except delete volume, on the larger part.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Try it in a different computer.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was under the impression its on the board? I wasn't exactly looking for it when I took out the HDD but I didn't notice anything. edit: looks like we are looking at a whole teardown to get at it, and I dont think I have any sort of interface here for mSATA.

It is rapid storage after all

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 29, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Have you tried booting to a Linux Live distro via thumbdrive and blowing away the partitions/reformatting from there?

I've had that work on disks that are all hosed up from Hackintoshing w/non-dos partitions and Windows throws up its hands and can't do poo poo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Booted to Ubuntu and its not even picking up the SSD.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember when I first built my system that leaving 20% drive free on the SSD was good practice. On my 250GB drive I currently have about ~40 remaining while juggling around a few apps. Is that "okay" or should I find a way to shuffle off more stuff to my other drives?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I remember when I first built my system that leaving 20% drive free on the SSD was good practice. On my 250GB drive I currently have about ~40 remaining while juggling around a few apps. Is that "okay" or should I find a way to shuffle off more stuff to my other drives?

My games drive has only 5GB free. How bad is letting that happen again?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

exquisite tea posted:

What drive is it? More often than not these days, drives will have built-in overprovisioning (overhead) so you wouldn't have to worry about it. Depending on the manufacturer, there may be tools available to check it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SinineSiil posted:

My games drive has only 5GB free. How bad is letting that happen again?

You can get away with less of an overprovision on non-system drives. What's the make, model, and capacity?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

You can get away with less of an overprovision on non-system drives. What's the make, model, and capacity?

It's

I used this for two years as system drive in another laptop before putting it into this one as secondary games only drive 18 months ago. I wonder how much more life can I really expect from this cheapo drive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Potato Salad posted:

What drive is it? More often than not these days, drives will have built-in overprovisioning (overhead) so you wouldn't have to worry about it. Depending on the manufacturer, there may be tools available to check it.

It's the drive that has my OS (Win10) on it, along with all my most used apps and games. It's a Samsung 840 EVO.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Hey folks. Looking for a recommendation on a 500GBer. This is my motherboard. I live in the UK, and money isn't a problem because expense account.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Inverse square posted:

Hey folks. Looking for a recommendation on a 500GBer. This is my motherboard. I live in the UK, and money isn't a problem because expense account.

If money is no object I can't imagine why you wouldn't just go with a 960 PRO m.2 on that. It's pretty drat tough to beat.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, the 960 pro gets into extremely diminishing returns for the cost for most people, but if money isn't a concern it's the fastest and most reliable option.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

craig588 posted:

Yeah, the 960 pro gets into extremely diminishing returns for the cost for most people, but if money isn't a concern it's the fastest and most reliable option.

I run 12 Linux/Windows VMs off of one 960 Pro at home, and it blows away my 24 disk standard SATA array at the office for speed and IOPS. Barely seems like it's ticking over.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

insularis posted:

I run 12 Linux/Windows VMs off of one 960 Pro at home, and it blows away my 24 disk standard SATA array at the office for speed and IOPS. Barely seems like it's ticking over.

Same with me except with a Intel 750 NVMe. drat drive doesn't even break a sweat doing 10+ VMs.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
SO Samsung Magician informed me that there was a program update last night, I did so, now the new version doesn't detect either my 840 PRO 512 or 850 EV0 1 TB :hurr: :downs: . It detects all the other spinner drives I have just fine. Nothing else changed in my system. Any ideas ? I know its not hyper critical to have Magician fully usable but the whole idea of this Samsung program not finding Samsung hardware after an update kind of irks me. Old was 4.5.1(?), new is 5.1.0.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MREBoy posted:

SO Samsung Magician informed me that there was a program update last night, I did so, now the new version doesn't detect either my 840 PRO 512 or 850 EV0 1 TB :hurr: :downs: . It detects all the other spinner drives I have just fine. Nothing else changed in my system. Any ideas ? I know its not hyper critical to have Magician fully usable but the whole idea of this Samsung program not finding Samsung hardware after an update kind of irks me. Old was 4.5.1(?), new is 5.1.0.

I just updated and it found my 500GB 850 EVO. It says I have an old firmware version, though. I have firmware version EMT01B6Q and since there's no 850 EVO firmware on their firmware page I assume that whatever new firmware is available only comes with this new version of Magician. I'm going to let someone else try it out before I update.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Rexxed posted:

I just updated and it found my 500GB 850 EVO. It says I have an old firmware version, though. I have firmware version EMT01B6Q and since there's no 850 EVO firmware on their firmware page I assume that whatever new firmware is available only comes with this new version of Magician. I'm going to let someone else try it out before I update.

I updated the same drive last night. It's fine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

But will it still be fine in 5000 hours?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Rexxed posted:

But will it still be fine in 5000 hours?

:thunk:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, my SSD is kicking the bucket, so I guess it's time to get a new one. Is the 850 EVO still the recommended drive, or should I be aiming for an NVMe? I checked the OP but the NVMe info is from August 2016, so I'm not sure here.

I was making do with a 240gb drive, but I could probably go for 500 since I'm upgrading.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, my SSD is kicking the bucket, so I guess it's time to get a new one. Is the 850 EVO still the recommended drive, or should I be aiming for an NVMe? I checked the OP but the NVMe info is from August 2016, so I'm not sure here.

I was making do with a 240gb drive, but I could probably go for 500 since I'm upgrading.

If your machine already supports NVMe and has an M.2 slot, and you can afford the slight price bump, you may as well go for NVMe. Otherwise stay on SATA and get an 850 EVO.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

nielsm posted:

If your machine already supports NVMe and has an M.2 slot, and you can afford the slight price bump, you may as well go for NVMe. Otherwise stay on SATA and get an 850 EVO.

Motherboard's a Gigayte GA-Z170M-D3H, it has .m2 according to the specs page:

-PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connector with up to 32Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe NVMe & SATA SSD support)

I'll probably go for the Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW) in this case, since I won't be able to get one for a couple months might as well save a bit more and get it. Thanks!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've had quite a few SSDs over the years from the original Sandforce drives to Samsung 850 Pros and now a Intel 750 NVMe. In all the older SSD cases the wear indicator never really went down maybe to 98% or 97% but nothing more. My 750 is now at 93% after 2 years of usage. I guess I'm just saying Intel seems to make their drives actually report wear whereas other controllers have BS numbers.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Usually (I'm sure not aways) the wear number is just based on the percentage of writes you've done compared to the rated amount. If you're writing a ton with one drive you'll see it go down a lot faster than another. I think the only one I remember dropping off was a Corsair drive, but it was years ago so I'm not sure I'm remembering the brand right. It went like 59-58-57-0, it continued to work but I figured something had a good reason for spooking it so I replaced it before it failed.

Did you have any drives abnormally fail? I've started taking SSD smart data really seriously because it's been much more reliable for giving me a warning when a drive is going to fail than any mechanical drive. I don't want to trust it so much if people are having reported fine drives failing. (Other than firmware problems and other widespread issues that were design/software problems and not wear problems)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All my sandforce drives failed with no wear out indicator action (firmware failure I think). All the Samsungs are still going. One 850 Pro 512GB unit threw a bad sector error so I backed it up and found a unreadable file. I secure erased it and restored backups and its been running fine since. The wear indicator is at %97 after 2 years.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

redeyes posted:

I've had quite a few SSDs over the years from the original Sandforce drives to Samsung 850 Pros and now a Intel 750 NVMe. In all the older SSD cases the wear indicator never really went down maybe to 98% or 97% but nothing more. My 750 is now at 93% after 2 years of usage. I guess I'm just saying Intel seems to make their drives actually report wear whereas other controllers have BS numbers.

Did you assume they're BS because you think you wrote enough to do more wear, or did you calculate about how much life should have been used up based on the total number of LBAs written (usually available through SMART) and the manufacturer's rated write endurance?

I've done the latter with Samsung 840 and 850 Pro drives used in a relatively high write workload and haven't seen anything weird so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Question about the samsung 850 - does it have a severe problem reading trimmed (zero) sectors?

I was trying to clone a 250gb to another disk, it was a nearly fresh install and I was putting it on a 500 instead of a 250. I thought (at the time I started) that a SSD copy would be faster than waiting around for w10 to get it's head out of it's rear end and do an agonizingly slow install. Instead it took north of 2 hours to clone.

It started at 250MB/sec but pretty quickly dropped down to 25-30MB/s when (I'd assume) it copied the 12+GB of windows 10 trash and started copying empty space.

It's either that or my 840 has sustained write problems, and that's a bad sign.

Neither have anything interesting in SMART.