Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

howe_sam posted:

Holly Anderson on Florida Man was a personal favorite of mine.

Does anyone read MTVNews? They got a significant chunk of Grantland refugees and I never bother to go there.

They just axed the Grantland alum that was running the place and are "shifting to video" so I'd say you're safe in continuing to ignore it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Charles Pierce pissing and moaning about deflategate or masturbating about Boston somehow was always extremely stupid and terrible.

Rembert was extremely lame too.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/rae-sremmurd-sremmlife-crunk-2-0/

This is not ironic

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Charles Pierce is about the least Boston sportswriter of any sportswriter from Boston

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Her name escapes me but the girl with glasses who writes about TV shows is good at The Ringer.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This whole exchange owned. The guy he's talking to is some conservative dunce who made a documentary claiming Sandusky is innocent and the media set everyone up.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/870801244364972032

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/870826860254461952
:eyepop:

Actually it's a Bryan Curtis piece and quite thoughtful.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You guys talking about favourite writers and best stories made me read the Tim Tebow in the CFL chronicles again and god drat that is still the best longform sports related thing I have ever read.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

drat! He let him hold it!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Holly Anderson on Florida Man was a personal favorite of mine.

Does anyone read MTVNews? They got a significant chunk of Grantland refugees and I never bother to go there.

I always forget to check it when I'm killing down time at work so I usually only wind up there if Ezekiel Kweku or Brian Phillips writes something. I don't know if any of the Grantland alums other than Phillips actually write there. Lambert and Pappademas seem most involved in podcasts and Holly Anderson took an editing role.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Was Charles Pierce the guy with the stupid rear end hat

Not only is he the guy in the stupid rear end hat, he's the guy who wrote articles like this: "The Thunder of God will rain down on the rambling old rucksack of a dilapidated hypocrite liar Roger Godell, for he hath struck out from the mud and the dirt whence all liars came to slander Tawhm Brady."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Work Friend Keven posted:

Not only is he the guy in the stupid rear end hat, he's the guy who wrote articles like this: "The Thunder of God will rain down on the rambling old rucksack of a dilapidated hypocrite liar Roger Godell, for he hath struck out from the mud and the dirt whence all liars came to slander Tawhm Brady."
The Patriots make people insane, but the rest of his non-Patriots work is top-notch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The real question is why do so many sportswriters and sports media figures come from Boston?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Probably a mixture of large market + closeness to ESPN headquarters + success of Boston teams over the past 16 years.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Only idiots are sports writers so...

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Niwrad posted:

This whole exchange owned. The guy he's talking to is some conservative dunce who made a documentary claiming Sandusky is innocent and the media set everyone up.

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/870801244364972032

loving lmao

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Henchman of Santa posted:

The real question is why do so many sportswriters and sports media figures come from Boston?

only well off people become writers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Uhhhh
https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/871455622553849857

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It is perplexing to Clay Travis why a black man would want to remove the n-word from the home him, his wife, and kids share as quick as possible.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Please stop getting baited by Clay Travis

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's Lenny Cakewalk all over again

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I hated LeBron like, right after THE DECISION and laughed when he ate poo poo in the finals that year but who *still* does?

Oh, right

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I hate Lebron but in the sense that I want him to lose basketball games not in the he's lying about people being racist to him sense.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crying false flag was beyond predictable but even after all these years it's still kind of depressing seeing this stuff from people with audiences

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dutchy posted:

I hate Lebron but in the sense that I want him to lose basketball games not in the he's lying about people being racist to him sense.

I'm getting really tired of sportswriters in general making things personal with athletes. Like, if Lebron had honestly done something truly terrible to this guy, like assaulting him, or hurting his reputation as a writer by spreading lies, or something equally damaging, okay, fine, you're human, I get that.

But leaving Cleveland for Miami? REALLY? poo poo, a decent percentage of Cleveland's residents would probably like to do that. This poo poo has to stop. Ask a hardcore Leafs fan what he thinks of the whole Steve Simmons/Phil Kessel thing. I'm sure I could think of a football or baseball parallel if I did some research, and that's bothersome.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 5, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm getting really tired of sportswriters in general making things personal with athletes. Like, if Lebron had honestly done something truly terrible to this guy, like assaulting him, or hurting his reputation as a writer by spreading lies, or something equally damaging, okay, fine, you're human, I get that.

But leaving Cleveland for Miami? REALLY? poo poo, a decent percentage of Cleveland's residents would probably like to do that. This poo poo has to stop. Ask a hardcore Leafs fan what he thinks of the whole Steve Simmons/Phil Kessel thing. I'msure I could think of a football or baseball parallel if I did some research, and that's bothersome.

This is more about the general trend of denying racism is a thing than LeBron

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

morestuff posted:

This is more about the general trend of denying racism is a thing than LeBron

Okay. But I do feel that maybe those things are intertwined, I feel like race played/plays a part in people's vitriol when it comes to Lebron, and nobody calls these dickheads on it (not in the media, anyways).

I turned 34 this year, and I'm beginning to understand why my Dad withdrew gradually from his interest in sports as he got older. Some of the behaviour is so abhorrent it bypasses funny and goes straight to depressing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Clay Travis is for people who like Skip Bayless but wish he was way more racist.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The best part is where he insists that the NAACP demanded an apology from Trump while quoting the NAACP's statement that clearly shows that is not true.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Here's a spicy take for you all!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19564712/jerry-remy-boston-red-sox-announcer-says-pitchers-get-translators

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Happy Birthday, Jordan Rules

https://theringer.com/the-jordan-rules-25-year-anniversary-sam-smith-michael-jordan-chicago-bulls-48b12d6d3e15

Man this book made me mad at the time, I was only around 10 or so when I read and I thought Jordan was a great guy. In hindsight, he's every bit the prick it claims he is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lindsay Schnell is among the SI layoffs

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Happy Birthday, Jordan Rules

https://theringer.com/the-jordan-rules-25-year-anniversary-sam-smith-michael-jordan-chicago-bulls-48b12d6d3e15

Man this book made me mad at the time, I was only around 10 or so when I read and I thought Jordan was a great guy. In hindsight, he's every bit the prick it claims he is.

Sam Smith is a colossal hack and overall idiot but that book sounded super legit/worthwhile. I'd pick it up but I already hate Jordan hagiography and don't need more evidence of him being a colossal dick

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's a good book.

Also if you thought Smith was a hack back then, you should see him now. He writes for Bulls.com about how Fred Hoiberg is a great coach and the reason they are losing is Jimmy Butler is too Hollywood.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

That's how I got to know him. He literally just complains constantly about how players are too friendly with each other and no one is competitive like the good old days.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He wrote a remarkable piece before the season defending Gar Forman by saying the 3-point shot was overrated.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Niwrad posted:

He wrote a remarkable piece before the season defending Gar Forman by saying the 3-point shot was overrated.

Ah yes the overrated 3 point shot in which the cavs shot 24 of last night.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ramadu posted:

Ah yes the overrated 3 point shot in which the cavs shot 24 of last night.

made*

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the 3 is only unnecessary if a team crosses the Alpha Threshold

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
There's actually a really good Jon Bois video that basically proves that the 3 point shot is more or less ineffectual, but as long as it's a thing, you'd probably be dumb not to take advantage of it as much as possible (which I think all data currently suggests)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Ineffectual how