Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Follow-up on my earlier "looking at Suzuki Sidekick in Montreal" question.

The woman selling the red Sidekick in downtown Montreal is flakey and hasn't answered my call or email, so I'm letting her sit so I don't look desperate. Again she's asking around US$2.2k for a '97 4-cylinder automatic in pretty clean shape with around 100k miles. However, a guy an hour out of town has a visually similar model, but a '90 with manual transmission, with 115k miles, but the interesting thing is he's dropped a Mazda V6 into it.

How do I read that? Is it more "huh, that's clever but that *decreases* the value unless it's an amazing job" or is it actually "that's awesome and a needed upgrade so get that one"?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/shawinigan/1990-suzuki-sidekick-4x4/1261973698?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Alternately, albeit 3 hours away, this guy has an automatic '91 with 135k miles, supposed to be in overall good shape except the oil pan leaking, and he's asking only $1.1k for it:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/rimouski-bas-st-laurent/1991-suzuki-sidekick-cabriolet/1263164281?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Senor P. posted:

I've been looking at trucks online for a while now, thinking about getting one...

Possible uses include the following...
-5th wheeler hauler or, camper trailer in the back bed, or hauling a trailer with a classic ball hitch. (Living quarters for cheap for work, not one of those 50k 5th wheels.)
-Converting it to have a bed that dumps stuff.

Having never owned a truck before (used to drive my grand father's land cruiser) what would be something worth looking at? Is there anything similar size wise that can haul more weight?

I'm thinking of one of the following:

Ford-150 or 250 with inline 6 gasoline engine (up until 1996)
First Gen Dodge Cummins (up until 1993)
Any others I might want to look at? I'd like something with an inline 6. (I think they're generally more reliable but maybe I'm wrong.)

A few questions I had...
2WD vs. 4WD?

Manual transmission vs. Automatic.?

Cost of parts?

How do I know I'm not getting screwed when buying a used truck? Is there a certain age and mileage range I should be aiming for?
(I was thinking anything in the 150k-170k mileage range.)

If you're going to purchase a diesel pickup in that age range, you really ought to have someone who knows diesels check it out, because although the engines are very reliable, they're also very expensive to repair when they -do- need work, to the point that repairs can easily cost more than the vehicle does. And 90% of older TD pickups have been used HARD.

Also, pre-1993 Dodge pickups are utter pieces of poo poo, the design is far pre-Iacocca and the truck will disintegrate around the Cummins in short order. The later design isn't a paragon of quality craftsmanship either, but it's light years ahead of the early design, and parts are much, much easier to get.

Realistically, an early IDI 7.3 Ford is a better bet, they're as bulletproof as the Cummins and the rest of the truck generally holds up better. The crap about 'straight sixes are more reliable' is kind of hogwash - although in theory, there are geometric advantages to this layout for low-revving truck diesels, in practice, all light truck diesels are plenty stout. The 300 Ford six is a good motor, but parts are a serious problem nowadays and it's really not THAT much better than, say, a 351W.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

prom candy posted:

Does this include even stuff like a Honda Accord Sport manual transmission or a Mazda3 2.5 manual transmission or just actual performance cars?

That wouldn't bother me as much. Just cars that are more explicitly Go Fast.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Unload My Head posted:

Dude, you gotta narrow this down a lot.

Seriously. Like, starting with what the actual purpose of the vehicle is.

5th wheel trailer/travel trailer/drop in camper needs to be decided first at a minimum.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for the advice thread. Now we're weirdo Subaru people.

We move to Colorado next week. We suddenly have strong opinions on coffee.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rule number one: unless you're at a Scion or Saturn dealership, everyone negotiates on the price of cars.

If you plan to sell the car on CL, fix the bumper first. (I recommend my main man Dave Winters at Woburn Foreign Auto Body) I still doubt you'll get more than $12K private party, and you'll have to fix the bumper and then deal with CL people. But you can try to negotiate that trade value all day long if you want - they're going to get a certain amount of margin out of you between the car you trade in and the car you purchase, but you can cut that to the minimum if you are willing to work - and if you're willing to walk. Subaru sells like a hundred thousand Foresters a year, you don't need to buy this one.

Thanks for this...I've seen so many dealerships tout that they are 'no haggle' I was beginning to believe that was bullshit.

I sent an estimate request for your guys in Woburn, so hopefully I hear back soon. Another potential thing I was looking at was buying a bumper off ebay that says they do color matching for paint and just installing it myself.

It goes for $329 and doesn't seem too hard to install-thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Painted...GVX~OtF&vxp=mtr

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It won't match and unless you've done a cover before you're liable to do a lovely job.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Follow-up on my earlier "looking at Suzuki Sidekick in Montreal" question.

The woman selling the red Sidekick in downtown Montreal is flakey and hasn't answered my call or email, so I'm letting her sit so I don't look desperate. Again she's asking around US$2.2k for a '97 4-cylinder automatic in pretty clean shape with around 100k miles. However, a guy an hour out of town has a visually similar model, but a '90 with manual transmission, with 115k miles, but the interesting thing is he's dropped a Mazda V6 into it.

How do I read that? Is it more "huh, that's clever but that *decreases* the value unless it's an amazing job" or is it actually "that's awesome and a needed upgrade so get that one"?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/shawinigan/1990-suzuki-sidekick-4x4/1261973698?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Alternately, albeit 3 hours away, this guy has an automatic '91 with 135k miles, supposed to be in overall good shape except the oil pan leaking, and he's asking only $1.1k for it:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/rimouski-bas-st-laurent/1991-suzuki-sidekick-cabriolet/1263164281?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I would stay away from the one with a V6 Mazda in it.. Don't buy someone else's project car. You have no idea what kind of work was done on it to get it to work. It will probably cost you more money in the long run. If they have paperwork to prove that it was done by a reputable shop and it's a common swap, maybe. I would avoid it though.

I would also stay away from the one that's 3 hours away. The pictures don't tell you much and I get this feeling there's more wrong with the car than the owner is leading on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It won't match and unless you've done a cover before you're liable to do a lovely job.

Seconding this. It's not as simple as telling them the color of your car and then having them paint it.

For them to match the paint, you would have to put the new bumper on and then paint the bumper and blend it with the surrounding area. It probably wouldn't look right and would cost more than it's worth.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 2, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks for the advice thread. Now we're weirdo Subaru people.

We move to Colorado next week. We suddenly have strong opinions on coffee.

This is the best post in the thread.

(super low bar)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Motronic posted:

This is the best post in the thread.

(super low bar)

The best post was the goon that listened to advice. They got a PPI, the inspection found a lot of red flags, and the goon walked away from the deal.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I called up your place in Woburn and they said a ballpark estimate would be starting at $800 and go up from there.

At this point it seems like I should just take the guys original offer to get $10k for the car, since he told me $800 to replace the bumper.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nwiniwn posted:

I called up your place in Woburn and they said a ballpark estimate would be starting at $800 and go up from there.

At this point it seems like I should just take the guys original offer to get $10k for the car, since he told me $800 to replace the bumper.

Yeah, I'd agree. You could definitely get a cheaper quote (WFAB is like... really good, and if you're flipping the car you just need good enough), but I doubt it's worth the hassle to gently caress with it all. Just take the trade cash and the peace of mind.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rule number one: unless you're at a Scion or Saturn dealership, everyone negotiates on the price of cars.

I think if the dealership states they are no haggle then indeed they are no haggle? For example CarMax would not differ from a stated price AFAIK.

There are other dealers that tout BS like "oh because of the internet our prices are already very low" in which case you can haggle those dicks.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 2, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarMax's business model is no haggle. I forgot them because they aren't a dealership, they're a glorified used car lot.

If a dealership really won't haggle and you don't like the price you walk. If a dealer says they're no haggle it doesn't mean poo poo.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Motronic posted:

Seriously. Like, starting with what the actual purpose of the vehicle is.

5th wheel trailer/travel trailer/drop in camper needs to be decided first at a minimum.
Why do I need to decide?

I was under the impression that a 5th wheel "assembly" sits in the bed of the truck. Holes are drilled through the truck bed and the fifth wheel is bolted to the frame of the truck.

If say I want to swap it out for a drop in camper, why can't I just unbolt the 5th wheel assembly and remove it?

I don't see how they are mutually exclusive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

however your dump bed requirement is a bit... extreme

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Senor P. posted:

Why do I need to decide?

I was under the impression that a 5th wheel "assembly" sits in the bed of the truck. Holes are drilled through the truck bed and the fifth wheel is bolted to the frame of the truck.

If say I want to swap it out for a drop in camper, why can't I just unbolt the 5th wheel assembly and remove it?

Any fifth I've ever dealt with was set with a shop crane or a few big guys. Not something you pull out for the weekend.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I've seen removable fifth wheel setups that mount on rails that are bolted(with seriously large bolts) through the bed into the frame of the truck. The rails themselves slightly impinge on the bed, but not by much, it's just irritating when you try to slide, say, 4x8 sheets of plywood into the truck.

That said, those setups like a grand (US) and up, just FYI.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the second generation Toyota Prius still a recommended used car? Haven't checked this thread in a few years

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EugeneJ posted:

Is the second generation Toyota Prius still a recommended used car? Haven't checked this thread in a few years

Yeah. I mean they're kind of an older car now, but among cars of that era, still the best for a "I need a car but don't want to think about them" car. Gen3 is fine if you want something newer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Senor P. posted:

Why do I need to decide?

It's not about being mutually exclusive: it's about deciding whether you actually need a dually diesel or a 1/2 ton gas pickup. The two aren't even close to being in the same price range. Towing any normal sized/weight 5th wheel camper with a 5th wheel in a 1/2 ton is a recipe for disaster. Buying a one ton to drop a camper shell in the back is peak overkill/financial stupidity.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Motronic posted:

It's not about being mutually exclusive: it's about deciding whether you actually need a dually diesel or a 1/2 ton gas pickup. The two aren't even close to being in the same price range. Towing any normal sized/weight 5th wheel camper with a 5th wheel in a 1/2 ton is a recipe for disaster. Buying a one ton to drop a camper shell in the back is peak overkill/financial stupidity.

I didn't think you could get away with using a 1/2 ton for even a camper these days.

Do they even make a 1/2 ton right now? (Or are they calling the current fleet of F150s, half ton?)

Better to buy a bit heavier truck than I need so I can haul the poo poo I need to. (Old International Harvester and other classic stuff.)

I guess I've been swayed to a F-250 or 350 with a V-8 and 7liter turbo diesel.

They might do the job but I'm not gonna lie I just hate the way most modern trucks 'look'.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Senor P. posted:

I didn't think you could get away with using a 1/2 ton for even a camper these days.

Do they even make a 1/2 ton right now? (Or are they calling the current fleet of F150s, half ton?)

What do you mean, "calling". That's what they are designated.

Senor P. posted:

Better to buy a bit heavier truck than I need so I can haul the poo poo I need to. (Old International Harvester and other classic stuff.)
I guess I've been swayed to a F-250 or 350 with a V-8 and 7liter turbo diesel.

They might do the job but I'm not gonna lie I just hate the way most modern trucks 'look'.

Yes, you should definitely be rolling out on your long trips in an old, barely loaded spine crusher. What could possibly go wrong?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

What do you mean, "calling". That's what they are designated.

I am referring to the fact that the F150 and all U.S. trucks in general have become bloated over time and we've seen a fairly large increase in terms of payloaf weight and towing capacity over the last 30ish years.

I would expect a ranger to be able to handle 1000 lbs in the bed. (1000 lbs is not that much weight.)

An F-150 I would expect could handle... 3000 LBS of weight.

Looks like I'm pretty close

So yeah, calling the current F-150 a 'half ton' truck is silly.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 8, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Senor P. posted:

I am referring to the fact that the F150 and all U.S. trucks in general have become bloated over time and we've seen a fairly large increase in terms of payloaf weight and towing capacity over the last 30ish years.

I would expect a ranger to be able to handle 1000 lbs in the bed. (1000 lbs is not that much weight.)

An F-150 I would expect could handle... 3000 LBS of weight.

Looks like I'm pretty close

So yeah, calling the current F-150 a 'half ton' truck is silly.

Thats really disingenuous, though.

The press releasenews story you quote leaves out the fact that in order to carry that much payload, you have to order the 'special suspension package' that hardly anybody orders because it makes the truck ride like a rock. It's really only there so advertising copy can trumpet 'MOST PAYLOAD IN ITS CLASS' in ad copy, dealers would rather sell you a $70K Super Duty instead of an $800 option on a $40K F-150.

How do I know this? Because I'm a differential mechanic and laying under the back of pickup trucks is a large part of my working life. Normal half-tons have a leaf spring pack(well, except for late-model Dodges) with around three leaves; the virtually nonexistent heavy-duty F-150 suspension has like eight. That sort of thing used to be called the 'camper special' option back in the day, but everybody who hauls a lot of stuff or a camper nowadays gets a H/D turbodiesel 3/4 or one-ton.

The standard suspension allows the F-150 to carry about 1500-2000lbs, IIRC, which has been roughly the same for half-tons since the Seventies. Modern trucks are physically larger because they're marketed largely to men who are nervous about their masculinity and don't want to be outsized.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JnnyThndrs posted:

The standard suspension allows the F-150 to carry about 1500-2000lbs, IIRC, which has been roughly the same for half-tons since the Seventies. Modern trucks are physically larger because they're marketed largely to men who are nervous about their masculinity and don't want to be outsized.
It always amazes me to see my uncles work truck (a 90ish f250 with the i6) next to new f150s and how small the f250 looks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

nm posted:

It always amazes me to see my uncles work truck (a 90ish f250 with the i6) next to new f150s and how small the f250 looks.

I hate that I cannot get a mini truck now. :c

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

/\/\that too/\/\

nm posted:

Yeah, my '93 GMC 3500 is like 7 inches lower at the bedrails than a new F-150, and mine is a 1-ton 4x4 with twice the payload capacity of the new Ford. It's ridiculous.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the "tow package" F-150 has a completely different frame than the regular F-150 too. It's a special thing that Ford does.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

I think the "tow package" F-150 has a completely different frame than the regular F-150 too. It's a special thing that Ford does.

That very well could be. I know I pored through Ford's endless spec sheet that lists cargo capacity for every possible permutation of bed length, cab configuration, engine size and trim level, and there's only two choices(out of ~30) that list the ultra-high payload capacity. All others are are at least 1000lbs lower.

I only found this out because a customer brought me some new leaf springs and wanted me to replace his stockers at the same time I changed the final-drive ratio. I looked up the part #'s because I wanted to make sure they'd fit before I took the truck all apart.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Yeah my uncle's f350 from the 90s, that he uses exclusively for pulling farm equipment, is dwarfed by anything modern. Funnily enough my dad still drives a early 00s ranger with the child seat cab thing, and that thing is even tinier. I rented a U-Haul pickup (Chevy 1500 I think) recently and was blown away by just how huge the thing was, it was barely drivable.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

We'll be moving to the US (NJ) from the EU come July and are thinking about buying a pickup truck.

I'm looking for some first hand insight that will help us figure out if we should be looking at a newish f150 (XLT, 3.5 EcoBoost) with a fairly maxed out tech package plus the off-roading option, or if we should go for a last-gen Raptor.

Ideally, what we would like is a new Raptor, but I'm positively loathe at the thought of dropping 70k or so on a new vehicle. Also, I don't like the idea of not getting a V8 - when else are we supposed to do this if not in the US?

So the question is: In terms of tech, is the new F150 a massive upgrade? Conversely, is an XLT that much of a downgrade capability wise compared to a 2014 Raptor?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Hi friends. This is all part of my Dad's goal to have his children know how to drive a manual. The first time he tried to teach us (years ago), it was in a Toyota FJ Cruiser and it did not go well, so now we're looking for a car not quite as intimidating now that the lease on our Infinity 50q h ends in a month.

Proposed Budget: Under 50k as an absolute, would like it closer to 25k.
New or Used: New is preferred
Body Style: 4 door, Family car/Sedan. I like smaller cars (easier to park!), but I'm tall, Dad is kind of large, and my brother is both so finding one that fits us is tricky.
How will you be using the car?: Learning how to use a manual transmission, commuting to work, driving around the city.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, manual transmission, able to fit tall people (6' 4"), AWD, "fun".
Other: Snow often exists.

We checked out the Subaru WRX yesterday and my Dad absolutely loved it - handled great, shifting was easy, panic stopped on a dirt road very well, people in the back had leg room, fun to drive. As I don't know how to drive a manual yet, I just sat in the driver's seat and made sure there wasn't an issue with my height (there wasn't). It's a strong contender, but we'd like to check out some other cars before committing to anything.

What cars are similar to the WRX, but aren't as sporty? Any other cars that would be easy/fun to learn manual in that we should check out? He has a half-baked plan to check out the Mini dealership and see what they have to offer (and to see if I fit), and then check out VW for the Golf R.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Manual transmissions usually come only with the sport versions these days. Any family sedan will have an auto standard, and a manual probably won't even be an option.

In the upper end you might consider an Audi A4 or a BMW 3-series. They can be had with manuals in the $30k-40k range.

The Mini Clubman is supposed to be fairly roomy, as is the FIAT 500X. Both can be had with 4WD but are quirky "personality" cars that you'll either love or hate.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

The Mini Clubman is supposed to be fairly roomy, as is the FIAT 500X. Both can be had with 4WD but are quirky "personality" cars that you'll either love or hate.

These are both shockingly unreliable cars for 2017.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

These are both shockingly unreliable cars for 2017.

Actually, they're dead average according to most online data.

ETA:
Based on Edmund's data, 5 years maintenance and repair costs:
2017 FIAT 500L: $3905
2017 Mini Clubman: $5014
2017 Subaru WRX: $6169

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 11, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, they're dead average according to most online data.

ETA:
Based on Edmund's data, 5 years maintenance and repair costs:
2017 FIAT 500L: $3905
2017 Mini Clubman: $5014
2017 Subaru WRX: $6169

That is a pretty useless metric because while all the poo poo that breaks is under warranty, it still puts you out of a car for a while.
Fiat is the second least reliable brand in the US (after ram and right below chrysler because lol fca) per consumer reports. While Mini has improved to low mid-pack, I still don't trust them at all.

Also, it isn't like the wrx is a car known for a low tco or being maintence free among people who know. Turbo subarus are expensive as gently caress to keep running.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Deteriorata posted:

Manual transmissions usually come only with the sport versions these days. Any family sedan will have an auto standard, and a manual probably won't even be an option.

You can get an accord with a stick at I think almost every trim level. That might just be Canada though. Can't speak for it hitting those other needs though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

That is a pretty useless metric because while all the poo poo that breaks is under warranty, it still puts you out of a car for a while.
Fiat is the second least reliable brand in the US (after ram and right below chrysler because lol fca) per consumer reports. While Mini has improved to low mid-pack, I still don't trust them at all.

Also, it isn't like the wrx is a car known for a low tco or being maintence free among people who know. Turbo subarus are expensive as gently caress to keep running.

lol that you take Consumer Reports seriously.

More Edmunds 5 year maintenance and repair data:
2017 Honda Civic: $3747
2017 Toyota Corolla: $3493

The differences are slight. Making blanket declarations off of sketchy Consumer Reports advice is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

All the mazda cars have a manual option. I'm pretty certain you can get at minimum the ford fiesta and focus in manual options as well.