Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sort of deciding between Milwaukee and Makita for something to move to. Occasionally deals hit.

Christ, this is more complicated than my 1040 on figuring poo poo out.

Right now immediate need is a weed trimmer and blower. So many SKU's and battery options. Scanning through various threads Milwaukee blower sucks (I have a big boy backpack blower for leaves in the fall.) Just something to blow grass and other detritus during summer months off the concrete. In other words, something the wife won't have a problem handling.

And I have a full assortment of C3 tools to fall back on...hence this post and the dead-end that fiasco is in.

Ryobi isn't blowing my skirt up, but drat...the pricing.

Ugh.

I noticed the black and decker string trimmer is pretty cheap and well rated on amazon, I'm considering that, but I don't think AI holds them in high regard.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...+decker+trimmer

I figure I either go for that or the 2-stroke husky trimmer, but I think my yard is tame enough to get away with an electric trimmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I bought a new road bike and I don't have a pressure gauge that works up to 110 psi nor with presta valves. Any suggestions on a new gauge? I just care about being in the ballpark, not accurate within a tenth of a psi or whatever. Bonus if I can use it on regular valves like on my car tires.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

I bought a new road bike and I don't have a pressure gauge that works up to 110 psi nor with presta valves. Any suggestions on a new gauge? I just care about being in the ballpark, not accurate within a tenth of a psi or whatever. Bonus if I can use it on regular valves like on my car tires.

I just have a Presta->Shraeder adapter... works fine for my mtb.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Right now immediate need is a weed trimmer and blower. So many SKU's and battery options. Scanning through various threads Milwaukee blower sucks (I have a big boy backpack blower for leaves in the fall.) Just something to blow grass and other detritus during summer months off the concrete. In other words, something the wife won't have a problem handling.

Are you absolutely set on buying battery powered stuff? Echo handheld blowers are $149 right now and if you use non-ethanol gas in it and use it regularly it should serve you well for a long time.

I just got the Milwaukee brushless blower because I have other M18 stuff and we compared it to the Husqvarna battery blower; they both seemed equally anemic to us. Not to say it's worthless, I use it for the garage, drying off cars, and loose dry stuff, but don't expect to be moving piles of leaves with it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Uthor posted:

I use a floor pump with integrated gauge. I have lovely tubeless tires so it's prudent for me to top them off every morning.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Uthor posted:

Any digital gauge from a decent manufacturer like Topeak or PlanetBike will do fine, they all will do Presta or Schrader with a little unscrewing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

Who needs a gauge? I just use a presta attachment on my air hose. One squeeze before every ride and my tires are instantly at whatever 90psi my compressor sits at.

It's how the bike feels on the road that matters and I can guess that with my palm on a tire.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TotalLossBrain posted:

I use a floor pump with integrated gauge. I have lovely tubeless tires so it's prudent for me to top them off every morning.

Same here, works well and works instantly. Setup is basically nothing, compared to a compressor unless you have a dedicated hose.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

eddiewalker posted:

I think I said it a page back, but forget sharing batteries between the shop and the yard. It's just not worth it.

I'm super happy with the 40v Ryobi trimmer now that they've got one with an attachment shaft. Just pop on all my old cheap gas attachments to whack, hedge trim and blow, all with the same power unit. The whole kit cost less than just a battery from some of the "prestige brand" tools.

I've got the 40V (36V here in Oz) Ryobi mower, hedge trimmer and chainsaw, and no complaints from any of them. I'm seriously impressed by the chainsaw, it's far, far more powerful than I expected. Had no problem cutting down a 5M Juniperus in my front yard, and I've shaved off a few stumps wider than the bar itself. The battery lasts pretty much forever in the chainsaw and hedge trimmer, I run out of arm strength long before the battery runs down.

I'll be getting the straight-shaft line trimmer as soon as my non-name 18V line trimmer dies, nice to hear I can use the attachments with it. If I had known that, I probably would have just gotten the trimmer and all the attachments first.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Here's a list of sales on tools on Amazon for Father's day, looks like some decent stuff:

http://toolguyd.com/amazons-fathers-day-2017-tool-deals/

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
What's the floor jack of choice these days? I need something for home use - mostly just for swapping tires seasonally, but occasionally heavier work like brakes/suspension. The cars I'll be lifting are all small - the largest/heaviest being a 90s camry.

Maybe I'd like something light - maybe an aluminum jack - but I'd really like something that'll last DECADES. I want something built well, something I can depend on for years.

I do have a costco membership. There's also a harbor freight near me. Like all things at harbor freight - some things are good and some are very bad. Budget is up to $350 for this.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

I have the 2ton high lift harbor freight. Its about $130 and about 100lb, but it can fit under most things and lift them real high. The inclusion of grease zerks makes me feel good. Ive had mine a few years and like it so far. My aluminum harborlight blew its seals after about 5 years though.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68050.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

0toShifty posted:

What's the floor jack of choice these days? I need something for home use - mostly just for swapping tires seasonally, but occasionally heavier work like brakes/suspension. The cars I'll be lifting are all small - the largest/heaviest being a 90s camry.

Maybe I'd like something light - maybe an aluminum jack - but I'd really like something that'll last DECADES. I want something built well, something I can depend on for years.

I do have a costco membership. There's also a harbor freight near me. Like all things at harbor freight - some things are good and some are very bad. Budget is up to $350 for this.

With that budget you can buy a hell of a jack. If I were to buy a jack today, it would be the Daytona jack from HF.

There is a helluva lot stuff you can read about it. Snap-On isn't happy about it that's for sure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

With that budget you can buy a hell of a jack. If I were to buy a jack today, it would be the Daytona jack from HF.

I'd never be able to use it without hearing this in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82oCGk7Re4

Not sure if that's a bad thing or not.

On actual floorjacks, I'm mostly happy with the hybrid steel/aluminum Arcan jack from Costco. The only "problem" I have with it is the maximum lift height is only barely enough for my Jeep.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would have been disappointed if this wasn't posted. Let's Go Away! Daaaaaaytonaaaaa!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

IOwnCalculus posted:

On actual floorjacks, I'm mostly happy with the hybrid steel/aluminum Arcan jack from Costco. The only "problem" I have with it is the maximum lift height is only barely enough for my Jeep.

I used to work in an arcade that had Daytona USA...that link was triggering me before I even clicked it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

rally posted:

I used to work in an arcade that had Daytona USA...that link was triggering me before I even clicked it.

I grew up in arcades in Vegas and literally every one in that time frame had that attract music coming from somewhere.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

IOwnCalculus posted:

drat all of you for making me look up emulators to replay the game.

But seriously, the Daytona jack is basically a knock-off from a Snap-On jack. On garagejournal the jack expert there tore one down and was a little displeased with its innards. Doesn't have u-cups for example. He had some other critiques as well.

Running a tire shop? Yeah, maybe an issue. Weekend warrior, probably not a problem.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Since we're on about jacks, I have a Husky brand trolley jack that I rather like, but the pot metal release valve plug/twister thing sheared off. Short of welding it back together and hoping it a- threads back in and b- still seals, has anyone seen replacement plugs/valves for these things?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

4 pack of 2300lb ratchet straps at Home Depot, if anyone needs some: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-1-4-in-x-16-ft-Ratchet-Tie-Down-4-Pack-FH0836/206802384

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Was there a sale price on these? Coming up at $18 for me. FWIW there have been TONS of these in the clearance section at my local HD, stocked up a few weeks ago.

Amazon deal on Wera today - close to lowest ever prices on 2 of the screwdriver sets. They are great. You should buy them,

https://www.amazon.com/dlp/a4ce6f0f...g=vglnkc3018-20

e: gently caress, lowest EVER prices on the Joker ratcheting wrenches. fffffffffff I really don't need a $150 set of wrenches do I?

e x2 gently caress IT it's payday, yolo :homebrew:

TACTICAL SANDALS fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 9, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Was there a sale price on these? Coming up at $18 for me. FWIW there have been TONS of these in the clearance section at my local HD, stocked up a few weeks ago.
Weird, yeah, sale price, showing under $10 for me, I saw it on a deals site... I guess it's a possible deal for some?

quote:

Amazon deal on Wera today - close to lowest ever prices on 2 of the screwdriver sets. They are great. You should buy them,

https://www.amazon.com/dlp/a4ce6f0f...g=vglnkc3018-20

e: gently caress, lowest EVER prices on the Joker ratcheting wrenches. fffffffffff I really don't need a $150 set of wrenches do I?

e x2 gently caress IT it's payday, yolo :homebrew:

looking now. Thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Seriously, the lasertip screw drivers are loving amazing.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Came here to post about the wera deals. I decided to give the screwdrivers with yellow handles a try for $35. Since I tend to use them as chisels anyways it would be nice to have a set sorta made for it.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
can't stop won't stop posting sick screwdriver deals because that's apparently how i spend my friday nights

Craftsman 5 piece screwdriver sets, 2.99 after add to cart. Made in USA

slotted
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35551926

philips
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10973960

just got ten screwdrivers i don't need for 6 bucks, sweet

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Amazon UK never seems to have wera deals, pity because as soon as it does I'm getting everything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thanks for the sick screw driver deals

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

can't stop won't stop posting sick screwdriver deals because that's apparently how i spend my friday nights

slotted

philips

Had to grab these because... Why not.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Down for the $6 screw.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, i have to drive for two minutes to pick them up? WEAK.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen any good socket deals? Impact or otherwise? My set blows chunks but they just won't break and the one that do I can exchange so I'm eternally stuck with lovely sockets.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

slotted

philips

Went to Ace down the street from me and it's also an in store sale on these. So, I got both sets. I also ordered those Wera drivers. You can't have too many screwdrivers right?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

rdb posted:

Came here to post about the wera deals. I decided to give the screwdrivers with yellow handles a try for $35. Since I tend to use them as chisels anyways it would be nice to have a set sorta made for it.

I have a big flathead and it's great, never used it to turn a screw so not sure I'd bother with a set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

slotted

philips

Have these same Craftsman screwdrivers already, now I have double the amount of them. :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

stinch posted:

I have a big flathead and it's great, never used it to turn a screw so not sure I'd bother with a set.

I think the size of a slotted screwdriver is inversely proportional to the probability of being used to turn screws.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The giant slotted screwdriver- we call it The Bridge Builder - because it says right on the handle not to use it as a prybar - so what else would you use it for?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've finally worn out my poor Milwaukee impact driver. It's one of the original ones- pre brushless, pre fuel, old school and it's probably put in about 50,000 screws over its life and got to the point where it was taking 30 seconds to drive a 10Gx50mm decking screw through 19mm particleboard flooring into a pine joist on a fresh charged 4AH battery.

And two of my 3.0AH batteries no longer have enough capacity to let the circular saw finish a cut through a 1500mm long 17mm mdf sheet so I needed some new batteries.

Wound up picking up a kit from the local tool shop here in Adelaide that's got two 5.0AH batteries, the M12/M18 rapid charger, fuel hammer drill and then new fuel surge hydraulic impact driver for $650. On their own the components of the kit would cost about $1100 so a drat good steal.

The new hydraulic driver is a beast- hits like the hand of God and it's quiet as frig. I swear my M18 impact gun with a screw driver bit wouldn't drive screws as hard or fast.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking into tool boxes. I have the cheap harbor freight box below that's actually older and has a few more drawers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/27-in-8-drawer-black-roller-cabinet-2-pc-combo-63026.html

Then some hodgepodge mix of boxes (lower, mid, and top) that don't match size or color that my dad found at yard sales or I got as gifts that look lovely. I hate how it all looks though I don't mind the HF box (non BB slides, it's still fine) except the textured finish. Cool stickers do not stick to textured finishes. :rice: I'm looking for something that I can fit all my tools into in one box instead of two smaller ones since tools are overflowing out of my 2 boxes.

So I'm thinking about picking up this husky box from HD, or something like this CL box. Thoughts? The husky is about as much as I'd even consider spending.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-18-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Set-Black-HTC5206-HMT5212/205431577

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/6168990569.html

It's for home use, I'm not a pro and just need something decent and not $nap on quality/price.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
This a long shot in the dark but If you or anyone else is anywhere near southern wisconsin i'm selling my Snap on classic 96. Goon special for 2500. http://i.imgur.com/0oQ1wm0.jpg. Super decent condition.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

I noticed the black and decker string trimmer is pretty cheap and well rated on amazon, I'm considering that, but I don't think AI holds them in high regard.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...+decker+trimmer

I figure I either go for that or the 2-stroke husky trimmer, but I think my yard is tame enough to get away with an electric trimmer.

I have the 20V version of that and have no complaints. Had it for over 2 years now. The charge lasts forever, I can easily do my (admittedly not huge) whole property twice on one battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HXCPC6K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I have.