Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The_Doctor posted:

Can I have multiple ships yet? I heard having a freighter allows that?
Yeah, as you'd expect it's hacky though. You buy one of the 'visiting' ships on your freighter and add it to your collection, then you can go out with it and trade it off for other ships as usual. At least that's what I read, I don't have the patience to play long enough to get that much spacecash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hmm, I've got an albumen pearl and gravitino ball farm at my base, as well as a trade terminal, so I should be able to generate cash quick enough soon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
With a Freighter you can also carry your base wholesale from one planet to another.

There's no way (other than that) to make a base on a world unless you find a "Habitable Base" site is there? I found a beautiful tropical planet with Albumen Pearls and Low sentinel activity but my scanners just won't find a base :(

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Have you tried building a beacon and scanning for a base with that?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Man, when you screw up in survival, you're really hosed. Right now I'm parked in the middle of nowhere with no plutonium and no thamium on a planet full of carnivores and angry sentinels and spending most of my time hiding in the ship waiting for the periodic storms to pass.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

haveblue posted:

Man, when you screw up in survival, you're really hosed. Right now I'm parked in the middle of nowhere with no plutonium and no thamium on a planet full of carnivores and angry sentinels and spending most of my time hiding in the ship waiting for the periodic storms to pass.
Yeah, I don't see the appeal. It's just needlessly harsh, there should have been some setting between the sleepy time of Normal and the gently caress you all days of Survival.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, I don't see the appeal. It's just needlessly harsh, there should have been some setting between the sleepy time of Normal and the gently caress you all days of Survival.

Yeah, the thing that appeals to me about roguelikes and survival games is that usually the difficult curve gets severe enough to kill me right around the limit of my attention span for the game. So I die, but I was starting to get bored, and then a month later I can pick the game back up and start over from scratch and everything is fine.

In this, the survival early game is so frustratingly ball-crushingly punishing that it doesn't work for me.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CrashCat posted:

This was my main complaint. I'd like a setting between survival and normal where I still have to be careful and conserve elements, but I don't have to constantly refill my fuel tank every time I land a few times. Also, the constantly getting attacked by overpowered ridiculous pirates if I spent more than 10 seconds in space was annoying too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only way I was able to get myself out of that situation was by wasting life after life running blindly in random directions fishing for resources, which strikes me as literally the exact opposite of how a survival mode is supposed to work.

I don't even care about the high resource consumption so much as each death making it that much harder to get back to a place where basic exploration is sustainable. Not only do you lose all your gathered stuff, but you also lose all your money and you also lose the equipment functionality that you need to re-gather the stuff.

Also, at some point they seem to have allowed sentinels to aggro on you while you're inside your ship, so while I'm waiting out the storm there's one hovering motionless in front of the cockpit waiting to get in free hits the moment I step back outside.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 9, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The thing that actually breaks survival is the fact that the scanner doesn't have a filter for resources. This isn't just a quality-of-life complaint I'm making here, the game actually is limited in the amount of things it can return to you when you ping with the scanner. I assume it's a memory consumption problem but essentially, if you scan for something, it will sometimes show you the nearest resource you want as being a 1 minute walk away... despite the fact that on that 1 minute walk, you'll come across said resource 10 seconds in. The scanner simply didn't return the ping of the resource. With a filter, at least this problem would be lessened and, hopefully, the pings would actually show you all of the nearest resources you want rather than just whatever's around at random.

And it gets even worse when it pings zero of the resource you want, despite there being some within that 10 second walk. Thus, in the end, with a useless scanner, survival is a useless mode. It's not frustratingly hard, it's accidentally broken hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

John F Bennett posted:

Have you tried building a beacon and scanning for a base with that?

Yeah, on 3 different places. When I do that it shows the nearest habitable base as "Off Planet" :(

It's not that bad since I can just make my base on a moon and build a Garage on it for roaming, but it's such a pretty planet I wanted it to be home.

At least my base is no longer on planet "Walter white dies at the end" (I've been following some guy's trail :ssh: )

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The ship scanner for sites of interest has always been lacking in the same way. I'll fly around looking for the little question mark (and some planets are sparse, and when one finally appears, as I approach it, I often find I'll be passing over other bases/outposts that didn't bother to show up as (?) tags. What gives?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly all I want is some way to see the atmosphere or planet conditions without having to land on it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

The ship scanner for sites of interest has always been lacking in the same way. I'll fly around looking for the little question mark (and some planets are sparse, and when one finally appears, as I approach it, I often find I'll be passing over other bases/outposts that didn't bother to show up as (?) tags. What gives?

They spawn as you search for them. I think they addressed it, but when the game first came out you could max your ship suit and tool on the first planet, just scanning and grinding

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly all I want is some way to see the atmosphere or planet conditions without having to land on it

Best improvement I can think of.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I could do with not automatically jumping out of my ship sometimes. Landing during a storm, for example.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's apparently an ARG called "Waking Titan" that has become linked to the tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpicApI1ku4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, I've apparently hosed up my Altas run, having 9 Altas Stones, and no way of apparently picking up a 10th, as this final Altas interface demands. :argh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I've apparently hosed up my Altas run, having 9 Altas Stones, and no way of apparently picking up a 10th, as this final Altas interface demands. :argh:

Did you try searching for Atlas stones instead? They have a similar name and purpose, but are written slightly differently. :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The_Doctor posted:

Worst comes to the worst, you can buy them from traders in space stations rarely (the ships that land, not the trading interface usually) - although you may need to fork out like 12 million for one.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I somehow found them all, gave them to the atlas, and hosed myself out of the black hole map markers with the wrong dialogue option.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The ARG is pretty nuts. There's a whole thing about "The Atlas Foundation", which is apparently a company that stores memories or something, and a phone number where you can record voice messages exactly 5 minutes in length, and a woman has appeared on YouTube that everyone is presuming is an ARG NPC.

And apparently it's all supposed to come together on the 17th.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I think it is fair to say that more people are playing the ARG than will go back NMS because of it so I guess that's something entertaining and definitely worth the devteam's time and money

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, the ARG being so involved could mean we're looking at some kind of actual huge patch.

NMS2.0

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Now with story!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm one of the 6 people that actually enjoyed this game so I'm cautiously optimistic about new content. They must have sold a bajillion copies though for them to be able to justify continued development on this thing after the train wreck of a release it had.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, some new content would be good. Especially since I just finished repairing my ship (since I didn't know I could have exchanged it for an equivalent un-damaged one. drat. :argh: ) and can now slowly start with experiencing new content when it drops.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Xik posted:

I'm one of the 6 people that actually enjoyed this game so I'm cautiously optimistic about new content. They must have sold a bajillion copies though for them to be able to justify continued development on this thing after the train wreck of a release it had.

Every time they release an update, the game jumps back up into the Steam top charts for a while.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I swear to god if they just added a bounty hunter loop where you go to a frigate or space station, get a beacon for a rando planet in the system, go to the planet and find a dude in a pre-fab house and trade a few shots with him and get paid, that would be enough for me to reinstall the game.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
If there's a Vy'Keen Preston Garvey then I'm finally going to stop defending this loving game.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
can someone PM me when this game is :10bux: thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My base is still ugly/"functional" but I'm almost at the point where I can farm Space Weed for megabucks so I'm not broke and unprepared if we get some big new patch dropped.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Haven't bought this yet but the next update will probably be enough for me. I just want a reason to explore/survive beyond enjoying the Roger Dean vistas.

My dream scenario would be some mode where you're hired to capture photos of flora/fauna at a station in each solar system. The photos are judged based on how well framed the subject was, how many diff lifeforms are in the same photo, and how rare of a behavior you captured. Probably at the bottom of the list of things they'd ever implement, but that'd be extremely fun imo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

Haven't bought this yet but the next update will probably be enough for me. I just want a reason to explore/survive beyond enjoying the Roger Dean vistas.

as a fellow Roger Dean landscape enthusiast I am warning you that, at best, the landscapes in this game are far more Dr. Seuss than Roger Dean

don't get me wrong some of the planets are cool but you aren't exactly flying around on Yes album covers, if you want that sort of thing you'll have to dig into old Psygnosis games like Shadow of the Beast (which isn't a space/flying game at all but thats the most Roger Dean looking game I can think of)

also there's a Homeworld remaster out, it has cool trippy space aesthetics and actually had a Yes song in the game. it also actually has good gameplay.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 15, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Fart City posted:

I swear to god if they just added a bounty hunter loop where you go to a frigate or space station, get a beacon for a rando planet in the system, go to the planet and find a dude in a pre-fab house and trade a few shots with him and get paid, that would be enough for me to reinstall the game.

Shooting right now is abysmal so I hope they fix it. It's boring.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Beastie posted:

Shooting right now is abysmal so I hope they fix it. It's boring.

I just two shot phase beam bad guys, and that's them done every time.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

If there's a Vy'Keen Preston Garvey then I'm finally going to stop defending this loving game.

Another undiscovered species needs your help. I'll mark it on your starmap.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I bought this game a month ago for 12 bucks at gamestop. I've played it maybe a dozen times, but only on the hardcore/survival/everything goes wrong difficulty, and in that capacity it has been fun enough. I haven't made it off a single planet, but I've had a bunch of tense races against the environment to get the ship nearly up and running, high point was getting everything repaired and then being one thruster fuel short of take off and thruster fuel only available 7 minutes away, suffocated in the snow trying though.

I'll probably try again in upcoming months, or after Elite comes out, but for 12 bucks though it's been worth it.

edit: I have played once on normal just to get into orbit/to the space station and all that jazz, which seemed very, uh, directionless. So I went back to marooned on a planet mode to persevere.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
NMS is going to have an anniversary update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That does seem very likely, as it's now almost certain that the Waking Titan ARG actually is linked to NMS.

• Locked thread