Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tories think they can rules-lawyer their way out of having to admit they're violating Good Friday, but formal coalition or not there's no way they can claim neutrality in NI if they're depending on DUP to form a government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

the person replying is an MP who just won re-election :thumbsup:

He's asking about the GFA. It's violated because Parliament is supposed to be explicitly neutral; any coalition with any NI party violates the agreement.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:bisonyes:

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tories think they can rules-lawyer their way out of having to admit they're violating Good Friday, but formal coalition or not there's no way they can claim neutrality in NI if they're depending on DUP to form a government.

Ok that makes sense - yeah confidence and apply agreements are strong enough under the westminster system to justify forming government as they are essentially​ just contracts of support. Tories can't reasonably say that the DUP can't exert control over the terms and conditions of such an agreement

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:owned:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

img-drinking tory tears dot gif

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You'd think there'd have been more tears the last time the DUP got used by Labour and the Tories to pass votes then.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

jBrereton posted:

You'd think there'd have been more tears the last time the DUP got used by Labour and the Tories to pass votes then.

confidence and supply arraignments are formalized garuantees of support though - it allows for government to form without formal presence within government

this might be a bit different though, because May has the prerogative to form government - she doesn't need to use the agreement to argue for the legitimacy of her government, that test is just a confidence motion

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

jBrereton posted:

This is different because the DUP is in a position to dictate terms to the government.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the british hillary clinton

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

:bisonyes:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/58097601991540736

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

what does it sound like when may cries? i've seen her laugh, so maybe she unhinges her jaw and goes shrieking through the fields

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
may lies in bed at night, she can't sleep. the guilt keeps her awake. she still remembers the voice screaming at her - the farmer, his lovely wheat fields. she must live with this forever, she can never take back what happened that day

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is different because the DUP is in a position to dictate terms to the government.
The DUP has been in a position to dictate terms to the government before. The reason the GFA is being brought up in a kinda bullshitty rules lawyer-y way now is because Stormont is non-functional due to the DUP-SF stitch up, when neither of them really wants the GFA to succeed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

financially racist posted:

the british hillary clinton

i was about to say hillary isnt as conservative as her then i realized they're both pro gay marriage and abortion so yeah they're actually pretty loving close

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

What's Hillary's position on making a coat out of dalmatians?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

TomViolence posted:

Yes . . . Ha Ha Ha1 &c

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TomViolence posted:

good character-building work for developmentally underdeveloped convicts

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^ hill might be to the right of May

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Clinton has lots of faults but she's nowhere near as bad as may or as right wing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Clinton failed at her only job of "not losing to Trump" and I'm pretty sure if she and May switched spots May would have beaten him.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

may the literal loving gargoyle who wears the perpetual expression of a bulldog licking piss off a nettle

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jose posted:

Clinton has lots of faults but she's nowhere near as bad as may or as right wing

In what way are they different?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

unwantedplatypus posted:

did may own slaves?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

unwantedplatypus posted:

well may is loving the NHS something fierce because she wants it privatised

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

well may is loving the NHS something fierce because she wants it privatised

seems pretty similar to hillary, who in the campaign said that single-payer (i.e., public) healthcare would never, ever happen

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clinton-single-payer-health-care-will-never-ever-happen/

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

We do have to make allowances for the Americans, though

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

may came out for gay marriage before hillary lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
keep in mind like the british right wing is basically our center-left in terms of politicians tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

May loves austerity and taking free lunches away from kids was in the manifesto. again they're at different starting points because america is an insane place where kids don't even get lunch in places

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jose posted:

May loves austerity and taking free lunches away from kids was in the manifesto. again they're at different starting points because america is an insane place where kids don't even get lunch in places

In a bit to relaunch her political brand, Hillary Clinton today issued a press statement urging the Democratic Party to avoid any moves toward subsidizing childhood nutrition, stating "that sandwich is never, ever going to happen."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in america the free school lunches are means-tested and made of the tastiest pink slime

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

like i think the key difference is we have these things and May is trying to take them away. Clinton is abandoning them in an insane attempt to appeal to the centre.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
fun fact: bill clinton agreed to completely gently caress over welfare in the 90s, but his only compromise was to leave school lunch block grants alone and also not gently caress over a really specific part of medicaid or something i dont understand.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's really good

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/st...r%3D408%23pti37

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

look at this absolute boy who has never done us wrong

give this man his fancy maoist bicycle so he may redistribute the jam

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tthere was a kickstarter to get him a new nice bike and after smashing the budget he told them to donate the money to charity

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/st...agenumber%3D409