Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What would've happened if Bloodborne had been an Xbox One exclusive

look at scalebound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Help Im Alive posted:

we'd be talking about the Playstation Scorpio

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Strong Sauce posted:

there is probably a market for console enthusiasts. but now they're targeting a super specific niche. basically a gaming enthusiast who is not price sensitive in choosing Scorpio over the Pro, but doesn't want a PC.

This. The market exists...but is the market over 2-3 million people? Scorpio should start very strong, then drop dead, because the people who want it will buy it Day 1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Megasabin posted:

If they have some surprise new exclusives that look great, it will sell, especially after price drops. People said the exact same poo poo about PS3 when Sony botched that, and the console recovered just fine.

If Microsoft suddenly drops a slate of games that create a rush on the Xbox, it's not Scorpio that will sell. The majority of sales are always the least expensive option.

quote:

Microsoft is in a lovely place right now, but if they focus on getting good exclusives, they can salvage themselves. Will they do that? I guess we'll see in a few hours.

Microsoft themselves destroyed any possibility of 3rd party exclusives existing for the Xbox again.

And their internal studios are awful. So unless they're planning on going on a buying spree again all they can do is hope to cut nice trailers for disappointing games.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is scalebound ever actually happening?

I think Gears of War 4 was a good exclusive. I just started playing it because of their free trial and, while I don't know how good some PS4 exclusives are, this seems like a pretty amazingly well made game.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Has it been confirmed it's running at real 4K and not something like PS4 pros checkerboard implementstion

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

it's cancelled

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Strong Sauce posted:

Has it been confirmed it's running at real 4K and not something like PS4 pros checkerboard implementstion

I would imagine it's capable of doing 4K for something like Cuphead or Tacoma but for most AAA games to hit 30 it'll do checkerboard

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

Thered be 2 million more bones out there

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sue-geoff-keighley

everyone sign

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

It's checkerboard.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Long story short, there's zero reason for me to care about Scorpio now.

Microsoft is always in the position of eating it's own tail. They should be careful because that's where the venom is.

I definitely stretched that metaphor too far.

XBORP

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Speaking of which Tacoma is one of the reasons I got an Xbox One over a PS4 originally

what the gently caress is happening with that game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sony had recaptured momentum on ps3 and started releasing great games by 2010. Microsoft is already 2 years late. This gens in the can

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think Gears of War 4 was a good exclusive. I just started playing it because of their free trial and, while I don't know how good some PS4 exclusives are, this seems like a pretty amazingly well made game.

Scalebound got cancelled and i didn't even realize GoW4 was out yet.

This is where Xbox is with most most people.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

finally. we can stop that monster

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trash person posted:

Speaking of which Tacoma is one of the reasons I got an Xbox One over a PS4 originally

what the gently caress is happening with that game

They scraped most of it and started over. Some recent news a few months ago about its new broader scope. Probably 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would love to see another Obsidian Fallout game, Obsidian would love to see another Obsidian Fallout game, and I'm sure Chris Avellone would love to come back and make another Obsidian Fallout game between doing his own thing.

Heck, get the ShoddyCast to help them make it. Those guys got all the old Black Isle dev leads to make a cameo in their Fallout Storyteller Videos, and they got Courtney Taylor to come back as the Sole Survivor.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Sony had recaptured momentum on ps3 and started releasing great games by 2010. Microsoft is already 2 years late. This gens in the can

I think that all the major players have come to an understanding that the concept of "console generations" is coming to an end, though. Nintendo's been doing console refreshes and short cycles for years, Sony released a mid-gen refresh already (they just did it badly), and Microsoft has been talking about moving to a much more rapid hardware iteration pace for a long time.

I'm not arguing that Microsoft is going to recapture marketshare or anything, but I do think that people need to accept the idea that the industry is probably changing, and that the days of buying a console that lasts for like 10 years are over. Everybody's just trying their best to figure out how to make it work at this point.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think that all the major players have come to an understanding that the concept of "console generations" is coming to an end, though. Nintendo's been doing console refreshes and short cycles for years, Sony released a mid-gen refresh already (they just did it badly), and Microsoft has been talking about moving to a much more rapid hardware iteration pace for a long time.

I'm not arguing that Microsoft is going to recapture marketshare or anything, but I do think that people need to accept the idea that the industry is probably changing, and that the days of buying a console that lasts for like 10 years are over.

So what you're saying is......Sony won the last ever console war?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

trash person posted:

So what you're saying is......Sony won the last ever console war?

Inasmuch as Apple won the war for cell phones, yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

And even if Microsoft can recover, Scorpio will have little to nothing to do with it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would love to see another Obsidian Fallout game, Obsidian would love to see another Obsidian Fallout game, and I'm sure Chris Avellone would love to come back and make another Obsidian Fallout game between doing his own thing.

Heck, get the ShoddyCast to help them make it. Those guys got all the old Black Isle dev leads to make a cameo in their Fallout Storyteller Videos, and they got Courtney Taylor to come back as the Sole Survivor.
Eh we don't even need Chris a lot of best characters and stories weren't even written by him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Aphrodite posted:

And even if Microsoft can recover, Scorpio will have little to nothing to do with it.

Microsoft will recover by continuing to do simultaneous Xbox/PC releases. Gears of War 4 might have been dumb and not very innovative, but it was probably the best PC port I've ever played in terms of controls and optimization.

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh we don't even need Chris a lot of best characters and stories weren't even written by him

I'd still like to keep him around. I know New Vegas is Josh's baby while Chris's job was to provide the mother of all beatdowns on the Star Wars setting, but I still appreciate the downright bizarre stuff from Old World Blues and I'd be sad if it was gone.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 11, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Inasmuch as Apple won the war for cell phones, yes.

I assume in this analogy Microsoft is represented by Windows Phone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/873985584028667904

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
$499 for a machine that only plays Ori. There's no reason to own an Xbox this generation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shneak posted:

$499 for a machine that only plays Ori. There's no reason to own an Xbox this generation.

look at this guy who forgot about Halo Wars 2

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

geoff's suffering never ends

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shneak posted:

This generation?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What was the massive disaster that happened yesterday that people were talking about? I didn't get to watch any of E3 because Twitch was being a piece of poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

is it going to launch a nuke or something wtf

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

look at this guy who forgot about Halo Wars 2

300k copies sold. Money well spent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

What was the massive disaster that happened yesterday that people were talking about?

The continued existence of EA.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

I assume in this analogy Microsoft is represented by Windows Phone.

I was thinking that Microsoft is more like the gestalt Android platform. Even though the XBone is behind PS4 in terms of install, it still sold pretty decently. There's clearly a market of people who prefer the Xbox brand that Microsoft can double down on, and probably grow if they work on the myriad issues that people have pointed out for the last two years.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

s.i.r.e. posted:

What was the massive disaster that happened yesterday that people were talking about? I didn't get to watch any of E3 because Twitch was being a piece of poo poo.

YOutube influencers who didn't practice their line or froze up called one dude two names in the span of 20 seconds

All sports games now have story modes

Star Wars.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I would like to nominate the XBORP to become president of the entire world, or at the very least, of the United States to show its TRUE POWER.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

s.i.r.e. posted:

Disaster? EA wasn't great but it wasn't any worse than could be expected of EA's boring conferences.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Tsar Wars :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Strong Sauce posted:

YOutube influencers who didn't practice their line or froze up called one dude two names in the span of 20 seconds

All sports games now have story modes

Star Wars.

Wonderful. Did anything get announced yesterday that was at least cool?

• Locked thread