Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

“input a fork in this”

This isn’t nearly as clever as you think it is.

i don't think your rush to burn someone is as clever as you think it is.

it's probably a typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

As for not even having to be a puzzle, the worst one I have had was in the Fire Temple in Ocarina. It was a room with lava and several small places to stand. I had a key and there was a locked door, with one of these ledges/islands to stand on. I tried jumping over, no luck. I tried everything else I could think of. 24 hours later, and probably at least six hours of play time, I was stumped. Of course it wasn't like BotW; I couldn't really put the temple on the back burner and come back later.

After exhausting all my other options I tried jumping across again just for the heck of it. Of course, it worked (I had to grab on, that's all, I had just flubbed the jump the first time and fallen short).

I did this with the first dungeon puzzle of Skyward Sword (the eye ball one). I did it right the first time, I just didn't spin the eye enough to make it dizzy and open the door. I had to look up the solution online. :negative:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Drewjitsu posted:

I did this with the first dungeon puzzle of Skyward Sword (the eye ball one). I did it right the first time, I just didn't spin the eye enough to make it dizzy and open the door. I had to look up the solution online. :negative:

Yeah, I did that too. Though I guess it's not that big a sin with Skyward Sword; the game hast that Gossip Stone sitting on Skyloft that will walk you through pretty much any puzzle.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Everything Burrito posted:

In "things just discovered after playing for hours" I just realized I could chuck a bomb into a cluster of those baby talus guys and kill them all before they wake up and come out of the ground.

I went through this a few times for these guys. At first I thought I could only kill them with the hammer. Then I realized you could use the bomb. And then I realized you could just pick them up and chuck them anywhere and it's an instant kill.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hikaki posted:

I went through this a few times for these guys. At first I thought I could only kill them with the hammer. Then I realized you could use the bomb. And then I realized you could just pick them up and chuck them anywhere and it's an instant kill.

haha, I went the opposite direction and started out just picking them up because I didn't want to break my weapons on them, then realized the hammer works really well to bust them up but switched to bombs because I can never keep a hammer on hand.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

“input a fork in this”

This isn’t nearly as clever as you think it is.

Typos aren't usually considered clever by ordinary human beings, no.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I haven't touched this game in a little while but the flying guardian post made me remember an area I stumbled across in Akkala (I think) while shrine hunting. It looked sort of like an excavation site with a TON of flying guardians patrolling that area. I remember looking around for anything of note but didn't find anything particularly interesting. Was there anything significant there?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

One of the Springs (Power, I believe) is down there.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

A couple Korok seeds, if I recall correctly. Some Ore depoits of decent quality, but nothing to write home about.

Other than being next to one of the legacy Skyward Sword locations (and you probably found the Shrine nearby), it's not that remarkable. It's probably a decent place to practice your Flying Guardian Killing Technique.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Deviant posted:

it's probably a typo

My mistake. I spent all day Friday with my company's IT people and this seems like the type of faux-pretentious poo poo they'd say :negative:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I have 17 shrines left to find and I'm determined to find them before I fight Ganon so I can do so in my green tunic, Hylian shield and Master Sword.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

it's probably a typo

how do you type input instead of stick by accident

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I put is one easily mistyped character away

Truly a tough one to work out

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Man this game lost me when I got to the beasts. If this is the future of Zelda dungeons then I don't want any of it.

The Gerudo camel was seriously painful.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Alright. I have one shrine quest left (of the ones I've found) and it's the ceremonial trident. I've been up and down this river and I have one last place I'm going to look, and if it's not there I'm going to look it up.

I already looked up where to find the last chicken. I may be entering the burnout stage. It was a good run: 113 shrines, 393 Koroks. I want to get all the shrines, but I have one quest left, one I still haven't completed, and the second one in Kakariko. That still means I haven't even come across any indication of four of them. How does this even happen?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I can't stop playing Zelda.

I put 100+ hours into Breath of the Wild (got all 120 shrines).
Then beat A Link Between Worlds.
Then beat Ocarina of Time.
Started a new game of Breath of the Wild.
Started OoT Master Quest (just beat Dodongo's cavern).
Ordered a Wii U so I can play Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

I may have a problem.

this is perfectly normal, friend

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Alright. I have one shrine quest left (of the ones I've found) and it's the ceremonial trident. I've been up and down this river and I have one last place I'm going to look, and if it's not there I'm going to look it up.

I already looked up where to find the last chicken. I may be entering the burnout stage. It was a good run: 113 shrines, 393 Koroks. I want to get all the shrines, but I have one quest left, one I still haven't completed, and the second one in Kakariko. That still means I haven't even come across any indication of four of them. How does this even happen?

It's near the bridge you find the NPC who tells you about it. It's underwater so you'll need Magnesis.

Also you don't actually need it, the Lightscale Trident will also work.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Sockser posted:

Guardian weapons will go higher with the guardian set, I believe, though bone weapons are obviously more plentiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKlhmVgkao

tldw: ancient armor upgrade + sneak strike + mighty fruit= 1 hit kill of the white moblins (so over 1000 in 1 hit)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

UltraRed posted:

The Gerudo camel was seriously painful.

Painfully cool!!!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Somebody asked about spears earlier, and I just wanted to add that in addition to being faster and having more range than all other melee weapons, they're a great way to fight Hinox because it lets you attack their main body without worrying about their shins. Also great for any Talus that has its weak spot on its back because it lets you hit them from the ground without getting close enough to be stepped on.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Frankston posted:

I have 17 shrines left to find and I'm determined to find them before I fight Ganon so I can do so in my green tunic, Hylian shield and Master Sword.

Haha, I did the be same thing. I had about 20 left, along with two memories to find, when I finished the last story mission.

I eventually had to look up the locations of the last three shrines, as they were quests that didn't activate the Shrine Locator.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mega64 posted:

It's near the bridge you find the NPC who tells you about it. It's underwater so you'll need Magnesis.

Also you don't actually need it, the Lightscale Trident will also work.

You know, after two months playing this game I still sometimes forget that it's not like previous Zeldas. I was figuring it would have washed ashore somewhere. :doh:

Also I have the Lightscale Trident so I guess my next task is to figure out how to use it. I did try it to see if it would work, I mean the quest says a scale of light, but so far "seeing if it worked" consisted just of standing on the platform and then swimming up the falls.

I am just bad at Zelda and that's partly why I'm closing in on 200 hours and still haven't found all the shrines. But the other part is that it's still fun wandering around and exploring while being bad at Zelda.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I want to get all the shrines, but I have one quest left, one I still haven't completed, and the second one in Kakariko. That still means I haven't even come across any indication of four of them. How does this even happen?
Four quests or four shrines? I know there's a couple shrines that my Sensor didn't ping until I got really close for some reason - mostly ones behind rock rubble - and there's definitely quests where the shrine is right next to it but there's no external hint to go there (thinking the three Springs, Forgotten Temple, stuff like that) so it could be those? Check the stables? That's all I got :shobon:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also I have the Lightscale Trident so I guess my next task is to figure out how to use it. I did try it to see if it would work, I mean the quest says a scale of light, but so far "seeing if it worked" consisted just of standing on the platform and then swimming up the falls.

If you need a hint, maybe go back to the entrance past the first bridge and see if you can't find any clues. There should also be some people talking about it there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Four quests or four shrines? I know there's a couple shrines that my Sensor didn't ping until I got really close for some reason - mostly ones behind rock rubble - and there's definitely quests where the shrine is right next to it but there's no external hint to go there (thinking the three Springs, Forgotten Temple, stuff like that) so it could be those? Check the stables? That's all I got :shobon:

I've completed all but one of the shrine quests I've activated, I just don't know if I have all there are. I've got all three Springs and the Forgotten Temple. I've read Kass's diary and done all the ones he lists. I could swear I've stepped on every square inch of Hyrule, but I'm sure when the DLC hits and I can see my path I'll find plenty of places I've totally overlooked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I play this game with Zeldadungeon.net open in a laptop. God bless all of you who figure it out on your own. Some of the poo poo is completely cryptic.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I get a little annoyed when I finally look up a solution and turns out I had the right idea I was just trying to do it backwards or something.

The other day I had two shrines mixed up because they were unlocked in roughly the same manner and was getting so frustrated until I realized the reason the walkthrough didn't line up was because it was for the wrong shrine lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I can solve about 80% of them without looking them up, though usually when I do look them up its some obvious thing I forgot about (like the water/ice block thing) and I feel real stupid

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

euphronius posted:

I play this game with Zeldadungeon.net open in a laptop. God bless all of you who figure it out on your own. Some of the poo poo is completely cryptic.

I did about 90 shrines, 250 Koroks, and 70% of the side quests on my own in about 90-100 hours. Then I hopped on the zelda dungeon interactive map and went to town. Props to those who do it all on your own. I was happy to do what I was able to on my own and then finish off everything with a guide.

And I never got stumped on those ~90 shrines, I just couldn't be bothered trying to find the other ~30 or didn't pick up the shrine quest yet. The one that took me the longest was the loving constellation shrine. I think I sat in that shrine for about 45 minutes before I said to myself "I'm dumb as hell" and my brain clicked what I needed to do.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My philosophy with Zelda games, or any game really, is to do everything I can on my own, and only look things up as a last resort when looking and thinking stop being fun. It takes longer that way, but I am not a gamer in that sense, with a big backlog to get through. And that sense of a well-earned victory is the best. Even a belated realization of the obvious, as I kick myself for missing something I should've seen, is a lot of fun to me, because I get that toddler brain reaction of "I did it myself!"

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
All I want from the second DLC this winter is to be able to get to that land across the chasm in the north. It sits there taunting me and I want to know what's there.

Basically I'm really, really hoping the second DLC adds some new playable area that goes with the new dungeon and story, even something just a fraction of the size of Hyrule at present would be great.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Man, rushing to Hyrule Castle right after leaving the plateau is a ton of fun. The boss rush at the end is pretty intense.

A boss rush that's proportional to how much of the game you've completed was a pretty genius move, I think.

Wandle Cax posted:

Imagine a game with BotW's open world, but with OoT's dungeons... in the same game!

I'd take a BotW "remix" that traded 120 shrines for 12 dungeons. But I also understand how the shrines scattered everywhere are a mechanism to encourage exploration.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

euphronius posted:

:same:

I did as much as I could without help, but I cannot imagine for the life of me finding some of those shrines without the assistance of the internet. Nor do I really have the time or patience to do so. There comes a point where it becomes a tedious task, and I'd rather get nudged in the right direction than stress about finding the X remaining shrines. (I totally would have stressed, my completionist brain would have been going nuts)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

This game has got to be a completionist's nightmare. I've thought that quite a few times as I've been playing. Like, I have almost 400 Koroks. To think I'm not even halfway to the total is mind-blowing. I definitely think I can hit the 441 for full inventory slots, but yikes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll look up shrines but I refuse to look up koroks because with that many I'll just go find an easier one. I have about 240 right now and haven't been actively searching for them, just prowling the map and getting the ones I come across. I want to clear all the shrines and finish all the actual quests (side + main) but that's it for my completionist urge.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress this blood moon shrine. I'm on 119/120 and I'm having to stand around waiting for a random goddamn event to trigger.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

gently caress this blood moon shrine. I'm on 119/120 and I'm having to stand around waiting for a random goddamn event to trigger.

Don't stand around.

Go out and kill things. Sufficient enemy death (or other memory overflow issues) is what triggers a Blood Moon, and you only have to get there before the Blood Moon Cinematic actually triggers.

Just run around and murder stuff, then either check with the guy at Dueling Peak stables, or watch the moon as it rises, then make your way back to the pedestal.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

maltesh posted:

Don't stand around.

Go out and kill things. Sufficient enemy death (or other memory overflow issues) is what triggers a Blood Moon, and you only have to get there before the Blood Moon Cinematic actually triggers.

Just run around and murder stuff, then either check with the guy at Dueling Peak stables, or watch the moon as it rises, then make your way back to the pedestal.

Yep, do this. I was in the same situation as Frankston (2 hours trying to get the drat thing to trigger) until I ended up running around killing every Lynel, Hinox, and enemy camp I could remember. Seemed to trigger it pretty quick.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Frankston posted:

You have time to teleport to the nearest shrine then run to the spot as soon as you notice it's gonna be a blood moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is there no item or set of armor in this game that can counteract the effect of rain? seems kind of weird, would be cool if there were special climbing gloves to give you a good grip in the rain, or some kind of special torch or wood that would stay lit during rain