Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

plape tickler posted:

I'm at a little over 1K profit in two weeks. Getting an itchy sell finger

Never sell, never surrender! Bitcoin retirement here I come !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

you can't really turn bitcoins back into fiat, but you can buy a bunch of drugs and sell those for fiat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

you can't really turn bitcoins back into fiat, but you can buy a bunch of drugs and sell those for fiat

just one more reason to legalize and tax drugs

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethereum has been doing work this week

maskenfreiheit posted:

The last time I dealt with coinbase I didn't have problems selling bitcoins and having the proceeds deposited in my bank account. Hopefully nothing has changed.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

plape tickler posted:

The last time I dealt with coinbase I didn't have problems selling bitcoins and having the proceeds deposited in my bank account. Hopefully nothing has changed.

look at this scrub using coinbase to get the bitcoins he'll buy :airquote: bath salts :airquote: with

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

look at this scrub using coinbase to get the bitcoins he'll buy :airquote: bath salts :airquote: with

bath salt are a real drug. Its were Flordiaman gets his powers

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Can you actually get money OUT of the ecosystem? For what I seen it is almost impossible or a terribly slow process to sell bitcoin back to actual currency...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bleusilences posted:

Can you actually get money OUT of the ecosystem? For what I seen it is almost impossible or a terribly slow process to sell bitcoin back to actual currency...

Bitcoin is its own currency.

It's based on shame and desperation

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

plape tickler posted:

Did you send your tax returns to them to get money out?

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No, but that was a few years ago. Not seeing anything about providing tax returns to sell in their faq.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

plape tickler posted:

No, but that was a few years ago. Not seeing anything about providing tax returns to sell in their faq.

its capital gains, its in the e-z tax forms

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Although Coinbase cannot provide legal or tax advice, the IRS recently released guidelines for how to report taxes relating to digital currency activity. You can read them on the official IRS.gov website here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf
Coinbase does however provide a specialized Cost Basis for Taxes report which will help with filing your taxes

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

plape tickler posted:

So what PII are you willing to give them?

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They required pictures of my driver's license to buy. They have access to one of my bank accounts for purchases and deposits. They're not anonymous at all.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 12, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

plape tickler posted:

They required pictures of my driver's license to buy.

like a bank would?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

like a bank would?

(Caps) they are not a bank!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i can't really tell if goons really believe the "you can't cash out bitcoins" meme or if they're just desperately holding onto that thought to avoid the truth of having missed out on free money

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zo posted:

i can't really tell if goons really believe the "you can't cash out bitcoins" meme or if they're just desperately holding onto that thought to avoid the truth of having missed out on free money

we just have trouble bowing down to our new bitcoin overlords

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
You can't cash out without trust and a total lack of anonymity, which are the two major reasons for Bitcoin to exist. I think it's been a long time since anybody claimed it was impossible to make money (at least in paper) speculating on a wildly fluctuating commodity (albeit a deeply stupid one).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zo posted:

Aren't you the Diablo 3 baron? Are you into bitcoinzzz too? You'd make a killing, please make a thread about cryptocurrencies and tell us how to get rich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zo posted:

It's funny because they post the line graph monument to their idiocy and drop dank memes like "to the moon!!!" instead of hoping people quietly forget about their embarrassing 5-year series of increasingly dogmatic mispredictions.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's funny because they post the line graph monument to their idiocy and drop dank memes like "to the moon!!!" instead of hoping people quietly forget about their embarrassing 5-year series of increasingly dogmatic mispredictions.

Well, it was worth missing out on thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars, because we had a few hearty laughs about how it's all going to crash one day

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i mean there were lots of legitimate things to laugh at like the constant obvious ponzi schemes (to a guy literally called "pirate") and other outright scams like butterfly labs

just that at some point it turned into repeating this ad nauseum:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Aren't you the Diablo 3 baron? Are you into bitcoinzzz too? You'd make a killing, please make a thread about cryptocurrencies and tell us how to get rich

yeah i am the diablo 3 guy and i am in fact a big fan of no risk free money

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Mocking something for five years straight is super cool and definitely a signal of greater mental clarity than bitcoiners

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've decided to liquidate the entirety of my super boring employee stock purchase plan (from my last job) and put it into ETH. I've worked in investment banking operations for a decade and I see a lot of potential for blockchain. No, I didn't say ETH there. But it sure as poo poo won't be BTC, and a lot of the industry is getting behind ETH.

Wish me luck! For all I know it drops to zero by next week

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

LinYutang posted:

Mocking something for five years straight is super cool and definitely a signal of greater mental clarity than bitcoiners

I can't even imagine what would drive someone to register or buy a somethingawful account just to create hills to die on with goons about bitcoins tbh, that seems like a strange use of time

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
One thing that never gets old is laughing at the purestrain autism that seeps out of these threads.

Has anyone said shitcoin yet?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hold on this sounds like you're talking about bitcoiners

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bitcoins are... good? No no no that can't be right

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Are there some good up to date resources for noobs on the best way to accept bitcoins and or other crypto currencies and transfer them into Canadian dollars?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
guys, if you're angry that you didn't get in on the ground floor on the high risk gamble that is bitcoin i have good news. there's plenty of "free money" to be made by investing in penny stocks and theres' always something that will go up up up at any one time. it's as simple as timing the market and predicting the future, which any idiot should be able to do.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Waffle House posted:

I can't even imagine what would drive someone to register or buy a somethingawful account just to create hills to die on with goons about bitcoins tbh, that seems like a strange use of time

Could be an attempt at some pump & dump. If you can get some goons to jump on the bandwagon, it might shoot the price up.

LordArgh posted:

guys, if you're angry that you didn't get in on the ground floor on the high risk gamble that is bitcoin i have good news. there's plenty of "free money" to be made by investing in penny stocks and theres' always something that will go up up up at any one time. it's as simple as timing the market and predicting the future, which any idiot should be able to do.

This is still something I don't get. If you're willing to jump in and try to time a market, why not do it on the actual market instead of Bitcoin? I mean poo poo, it's way easier to cash out a brokerage account than Bitcoin.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zo posted:

Free except for the cost associated with it

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

mojo1701a posted:

Could be an attempt at some pump & dump. If you can get some goons to jump on the bandwagon, it might shoot the price up.

This is still something I don't get. If you're willing to jump in and try to time a market, why not do it on the actual market instead of Bitcoin? I mean poo poo, it's way easier to cash out a brokerage account than Bitcoin.

I dunno I just turned 200 dollars into 422, then again into 700. And now I am going to take that 700 and wait for it to drop more and then I am going to buy more. It's fun and doesn't require me to set aside more than a thousand dollars to play market.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

scott zoloft posted:

I dunno I just turned 200 dollars into 422, then again into 700. And now I am going to take that 700 and wait for it to drop more and then I am going to buy more. It's fun and doesn't require me to set aside more than a thousand dollars to play market.

Well, you see you're actually a loser because... *checks notes* uh... it's not "free money" because you had costs. Idiot.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Yo I wish anyone investing in Buttcoins the best of luck. Keep that wild, wild west eye on the market.

mojo1701a posted:

Given the amount of "puppeteering" happening everywhere in some mediums lately, it wouldn't surprise me. For me, even the slightest hint that someone's trying to astroturf me into buying into whatever they're peddling is enough to get me to ignore.

Every time someone does try to astroturf it near me, I can't help but imagine some shadowy, epitome of darkness that speaks in echoey polyharmonics through countless rows of unspeakable, gnashing teeth, uttering riddles that seduce you into a world of debt cycles to faceless people on the internet with promises of a Gold Rush.

"DDDDDONT YOU WANT TO IMPROVE YOUR -F-F-FFFFFORTUNES? ITS AN UNREG-G-G-G-GULATED MARKET. HHHHHHHHCHOLD THIS BAG FOR ME."

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 12, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Well, you see you're actually a loser because... *checks notes* uh... it's not "free money" because you had costs. Idiot.

Hell, if you made money, congratulations. I was making fun of the guy who kept saying it's "free money" just by virtue of mining it even though it... wasn't.

If I really cared enough, I would've given it a go myself. I mean, why not? It's a few bucks here and there. I'm just glad no one here is stupid enough to sink their life's savings into it, necessitating us to share a link to the suicide prevention hotline.

Waffle House posted:

Yo I wish anyone investing in Buttcoins the best of luck. Keep that wild, wild west eye on the market.

Agreed. I'd never underestimate the stupidity of true believers that keep pumping the price up. If you keep in mind that it's not really an "investment" in the traditional sense, go nuts.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The bitcoin threads were more fun when you had the lovable characters of

Mark Weeaboo karpeles and his mountain exchange

Dank: who was speeding all his coins on drugs, and might have been mentally ill. Remember his sick plan to open a hooka lounge and all the free and rather good business advice he go about what a real business plan was and why his budget didnt work.

Lorgayn or how ever you spell his name. Was gonna open a theater get the rights to tale spin, he would buy bitcoins with gift cards.

Dude with the furry coffee table. Now he was a winner cashed out bought a car....who says bitcoin cant buy things.

Dude who leased a apartment in New York city to stream a show about bitcoin, couldnt get the camera out of demo mode. Goons made his phone fall off a chair. He hosted a party where someone came and stole laptops. and to top it off he was gay and liked to gently caress "boys" in pattaya when he tried to set up a bitcoin convention there and people pointed out the nature of the place he got defensive

Who was the dude who thought that cam whores were stupid and turns out they saw through them pretty quickly?

Atlas: The 14 year old randian super man...boy...young adult he even came to this very forum.

Some fucker who didnt know how to smelt silver....

Butterfly labs totally not a scam

Nakamoto satoshi ether a brilliant pseudonym of some dark mastermind or group of masterminds or a man who lives with his mother and just wanted a way to pay for his model trains (austim) and wrote the bitcoin protocol, truly the greatest mystery of our day.

Ah those threads were great....I really like 3 phase talking about electronics and poo poo.

Watching people who are honestly not in the best place in life, who blame the system for keeping them down reenact 400 years of financial evolution. Crying how regulations are evil, and then boom the coins get stolen. or scammed from them is amazing.

Ah bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ups_rail posted:

The bitcoin threads were more fun when you had the lovable characters of

Mark Weeaboo karpeles and his mountain exchange

Dank: who was speeding all his coins on drugs, and might have been mentally ill. Remember his sick plan to open a hooka lounge and all the free and rather good business advice he go about what a real business plan was and why his budget didnt work.

Lorgayn or how ever you spell his name. Was gonna open a theater get the rights to tale spin, he would buy bitcoins with gift cards.

Dude with the furry coffee table. Now he was a winner cashed out bought a car....who says bitcoin cant buy things.

Dude who leased a apartment in New York city to stream a show about bitcoin, couldnt get the camera out of demo mode. Goons made his phone fall off a chair. He hosted a party where someone came and stole laptops. and to top it off he was gay and liked to gently caress "boys" in pattaya when he tried to set up a bitcoin convention there and people pointed out the nature of the place he got defensive

Who was the dude who thought that cam whores were stupid and turns out they saw through them pretty quickly?

Atlas: The 14 year old randian super man...boy...young adult he even came to this very forum.

Some fucker who didnt know how to smelt silver....

Butterfly labs totally not a scam

Nakamoto satoshi ether a brilliant pseudonym of some dark mastermind or group of masterminds or a man who lives with his mother and just wanted a way to pay for his model trains (austim) and wrote the bitcoin protocol, truly the greatest mystery of our day.

Ah those threads were great....I really like 3 phase talking about electronics and poo poo.

Watching people who are honestly not in the best place in life, who blame the system for keeping them down reenact 400 years of financial evolution. Crying how regulations are evil, and then boom the coins get stolen. or scammed from them is amazing.

Ah bitcoin

I mean poo poo, I was fourteen when I registered, I can't fault the dude for that; which thread was this, and how long ago?

"Dank", "Mark Weeaboo Karpeles", and "14 year old Randian Archetype" may as well be characters in a Bitcoin Sitcom...

• Locked thread