Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Latest update: Part 10 - FINALE

Total Overdose: A Gunslinger's Tale in Mexico is a 2005 PC, PS2 and Xbox sandbox shooter. It's often called a GTA-clone, but it's more of a mix of GTA, Max Payne and Tony Hawk. You play as Ramiro "Ram" Cruz, who's trying to infiltrate the Morales Cartel to find out who was responsible for the death of his father (and also to get his prison sentence removed). There's a lot of jumping, shooting and casual racism. Also there is music.

How are you playing this?

This is the PC version of the game, purchased from GOG.com. The Let's Play is post-commentary and I am joined by the lovely trio of El Tipejo Loco, Iron Chitlin and TorpidTypist.

Will you be doing/collecting everything in the game?

I'll complete all the side quests to get as many unlocks as possible, but due to there being a lot of content that is essentially the same, I will only show off each mission type once. I won't be getting all collectibles, because there's really no point to it.

:siren:SPOILER POLICY:siren:

Don't spoil anything ahead of the episodes.

EPISODE LIST
Playlist
Part 01 - Tony Hawk's Pro Shooter
Part 02 - Farmcore
Part 03 - Sidetracked
Part 04 - The Castle Dock-trine
Part 05 - He Tried to Kill Me With a Forklift
Part 06 - DEA(D) On Arrival
Part 07 - What a Load of Bull
Part 08 - Keep That Combo Going
Part 09 - Short Jokes
Part 10 - FINALE

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Post reserved.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I remember about the game is that it couldn't decide how seriously to take itself. Will watch with interest.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 02 - Farmcore

We talk about the game's weird choice of music and try to scale a farm wall.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Seems like a pretty top quality game all around. But it definitely seems pretty light-hearted all around, so it should be a fun ride.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I feel compelled to point out that at the time the game was funny, cool and good. It did not age well.

Also Chili Con Carnage is actually just the name of the PSP "remake" of this game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Every time I hear "Karmara" by Molotov I think about this game, Crackdown, and also jumping through a plate glass window without getting cut and making a sweet landing. I don't remember if that happens in this game, but it happens in my imagination about once a week.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 03 - Sidetracked

Time for a glimpse into some of the endless side missions this game has.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I feel compelled to point out that at the time the game was funny, cool and good. It did not age well.

Oh yeah, I played through it as a kid and thought it was great.

Then I played through it for this LP again and realized how badly it had aged.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 04 - The Castle Dock-trine

In today's episode, we get lost in a massive shipyard.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Extremely nervous mexican man trying to ask mexican girl to the mexican prom is my favourite mexican music track so far.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So far I have seen nobody running with the hatchet, this thread is misleading at best and harmful at worst. Voted 1

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Bogart posted:

So far I have seen nobody running with the hatchet, this thread is misleading at best and harmful at worst. Voted 1

There will be rakes later in the LP. Sadly, Mexico does not have hatchets.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 05 - He Tried to Kill Me With a Forklift

It's time for one of the worst side missions in the game.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Thanks for doing this! I've known about this game but gave it little thought, as it didn't seem good. But after seeing it I wanted to try it, and...it's super fun! Janky but fun, it feels a lot like a proto-Stranglehold.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 06 - DEA(D) On Arrival

We're back to doing the main mission. It's time for the mid-game plot twist!

zidane13 posted:

Thanks for doing this! I've known about this game but gave it little thought, as it didn't seem good. But after seeing it I wanted to try it, and...it's super fun! Janky but fun, it feels a lot like a proto-Stranglehold.

It definitely feels held back by technical limitations, but I enjoy the core gameplay of shooting stuff with crazy motions and getting points. It's a shame the sandboxy and side mission parts of it hold it back.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 07 - What a Load of Bull

Aside from a very weird 180 with an existing faction, you can look forward to a "boss fight".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For everything wrong with this game (and there is so... SO much wrong with it), "competent agent gets injured so his screwup twin brother needs to fill in" is a plot that could be amusing to see a good comedy get their hands on.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Looking forwards to learning the entire Mexican drug trade in this game is run by the unseen strumming hands of the Illumariarchi.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 08 - Keep That Combo Going

There's a lot to process in this episode: plot, calling out popular let's players, music, pop culture references, explosions. Really, it's the best one so far.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 09 - Short Jokes

Remember the prologue level? We're back there now. We get to blow up more poo poo than last time, though.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
UPDATE: Part 10 - FINALE

And so this journey to Mexico ends. Thank you for watching the weird GTA Tony Hawk Max Payne hybrid.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It has been a long time since I played this game, but I was pretty sure that there was a scene after the credits that implied that Papa Muerte is actually the protagonists' father who faked his own death at the beginning of the game and has been secretly running a massive drug cartel.

Am I remembering a different game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Quiet Python posted:

It has been a long time since I played this game, but I was pretty sure that there was a scene after the credits that implied that Papa Muerte is actually the protagonists' father who faked his own death at the beginning of the game and has been secretly running a massive drug cartel.

Am I remembering a different game?

Might be a different game, because neither this nor the "re-imagining" that is Chili Con Carnage have that.

• Locked thread