Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Rewatching Korra after finishing one for the orginal show and out of curiosity, aside from Dante Basco as Iroh II and Greg Baldwin reprising his role as the original did any of the other voice actors from TLA return for Korra in some capacity?

Also in the story of the first Avatar was that Dan Green as the leader of the squad Wan was traveling with in the beginning and Charlie Adler as the lemur-esque spirit who was protecting the oasis? Because if not they both sounded really familiar to me for some reason.

Finally just wondering, but what exactly was wrong with Korra's second season? As while not great I've kind of been enjoying the whole Water Tribe civil war arc and Wan's story was pretty good as well. Is it because a lot of aspects of the first season are just dropped without much if any explanation and the characters generally act like assholes to each other at times (though then again, aside from Korra, Tenzin and his family, and, to a lesser extent, Lin none of the new characters in this series really clicked with me the same way the old cast did)?

In the third season Grey Delisle shows up as both Ming-hua and young Lin, and Jessie Flower (Toph in AtLA) shows up as young Suyin. That's about it as far as I can remember.

As for the second season, I can only speak for myself, but in AtLA the spirit world was really only a supplemental part of the show's universe, so in order to establish the Raava-Vaatu conflict they had to dump reams of backstory on the audience all at once. Once the conflict was explained, the stakes for it were established to be so dire that it rendered every other storyline in the season completely irrelevent. Finally, Unalaq was never given any real motivation for wanting to become the Avatar Antichrist, and the whole eternal spiritual conflict was resolved with a dumb magic kaiju fight. In short, the season was written as a rush job and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

In the third season Grey Delisle shows up as both Ming-hua and young Lin, and Jessie Flower (Toph in AtLA) shows up as young Suyin. That's about it as far as I can remember.

As for the second season, I can only speak for myself, but in AtLA the spirit world was really only a supplemental part of the show's universe, so in order to establish the Raava-Vaatu conflict they had to dump reams of backstory on the audience all at once. Once the conflict was explained, the stakes for it were established to be so dire that it rendered every other storyline in the season completely irrelevent. Finally, Unalaq was never given any real motivation for wanting to become the Avatar Antichrist, and the whole eternal spiritual conflict was resolved with a dumb magic kaiju fight. In short, the season was written as a rush job and it shows.

Fair enough I suppose, I did kind of like the concept of the season even if it wasn't that well executed and the resolution was half-assed.

Though the whole plotline seemed like something that should have come at the end of the series rather than the midway point considering how dire the straits were made (though to be fair, like with the first season they didn't know they were getting another one until late in production. Which is why Korra is 4 stories (maybe 3, I think the last two seasons are a bit more directly connected if I remember right) mashed together rather than one continuous one like was the case in TLA).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 10, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

drrockso20 posted:

Saw a preview for tomorrow's new episode of PPG and man it's going to be a weird one, even by that show's standards

?!

https://twitter.com/rockcock64/status/873672293465149441

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I just

what

why

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:yikes:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I just

what

why

Beefcake!

PS: Man, the remake looks so flat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Beefcake!

PS: Man, the remake looks so flat.

That actually is what happens apparently, the plot is basically Buttercup feels insecure as a hero after meeting an idol of hers(who is a more traditionally buff superhero) and decides to bulk up on muscle using a special formula her idol shills for(there's a leaked image showing her buffed up and it's similarly grotesque), and I guess at some point it's going to turn into fat

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I went back a couple of pages in the thread and saw that people really like Gumball. I'm considering watching it, but just wanted to know if there is any sort of continuity and that I should start at a certain point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We have a few new Ducktales shorts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PgkLg_jFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJNdCFptI6k

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I went back a couple of pages in the thread and saw that people really like Gumball. I'm considering watching it, but just wanted to know if there is any sort of continuity and that I should start at a certain point.
Skip season one, its pretty bad. There's a bit of continuity but its not particularly important, ie gumball gains a girlfriend. Except the Rob storyline, that develops over the seasons and doesn't make much sense if you watch it out of order.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's meta-continuity in that they've changed the VA's like 4 times due to puberty.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's little-to-nothing in the way of ongoing storylines or whatever but there are occasional callbacks. Echoing khwarezm, your best bet is probably to skip season 1 and start in season 2, then come back to season 1 in the end if you want more (you probably will).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

There were lots of problems with Korra, but one thing I haven't seen many people touch on is that the world in that series seems so much smaller, and less impactful than the world in TLA. In TLA, Aang and the crew's mission effected literally the entire world, and made the adventure feel a whole lot more important and gave the series a sense of grandeur. Korra on the other hand, is limited to what, Republic City (is that what it's called?) and a few other relatively small locales? Going in that direction seemed like a huge step backwards.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That's not fair, season 2 changed a lot of stuff by introducing all that spirit bullshit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I agree with Mr Interweb's notion, which is why I adored season 3, and one of my all-time favorite Avatar episodes is in season 4 where the air kids go globetrotting for Korra.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

Skip season one, its pretty bad. There's a bit of continuity but its not particularly important, ie gumball gains a girlfriend. Except the Rob storyline, that develops over the seasons and doesn't make much sense if you watch it out of order.

Don't listen to this guy. Season 1 is good, just not nearly as good as the later seasons.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Gumball Season 1's not bad, it's just not a great introduction to the series. It's a lot closer to the standard family oriented kids' show and didn't really start getting adventurous with plotlines and stuff until season 2. Also, they changed most of the character designs between season 1 and 2 and I think the newer designs are much better looking.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Anyone else watch Future Worm? I quite like what I've seen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

That's not fair, season 2 changed a lot of stuff by introducing all that spirit bullshit

As much of a rush job as that season was I will give it credit for 3 things:

- The story of Avatar Wan.

- The whole subplot with Tenzin and his family.

- Verak (the Howard Hughes-esque movie producer/businessman) is one of my favorite characters in the whole show.

Iroh coming back for a few cameos wasn't bad either, as was Korra basically restarting the Avatar Cycle at the end with herself as the new origin point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 12, 2017

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

I was kinda skeptical of the direction the BBC was going to be taking the Thirteenth Doctor, but I gotta say, Doctor Who Series 11 looks great.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Thirteenth Ducktor, please.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Neat.

Though admittedly the animation in the first one felt a bit iffy. It isn't that it's jerky or stiff, but that key poses feel kinda stiff and don't have any dynamism or anything to punctuate the action or the lines read. Like there's no line of action, and not very much in terms of anticipating an action. Plus, there felt like a disconnect between the actions of the character and the actor reading the line. Case in point, in the middle of the Huey's scream he looks at his book, but his yell is completely flat as if he's just sitting there doing nothing.

Second one's cool though. I got no beef son.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAm8aw_7RXM

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the mystery artifacts as part of Scrooge's mansion really feels Gravity Falls
Like if Grunkle Stan wasn't a con artist and everything in the mystery shack was true.
Should be fun.

I wonder if they'll do an ARG

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The voices still don't sit right with me, especially the fact that everyone else talks like a normal human being but Donald still uses his weird duck voice.

I saw in one of the interviews that they were planning to make Uncle Scrooge more into adventure than money, which I understand provides better morals to children, but it also is changing the whole schtick of an essentially one note character. Dunno how that'll work out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Like... his name is literally Scrooge, how do you paper over that one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's the same reason the Richie Rich reboot made him an entrepreneur instead of old money, capitalism's not a good look nowadays.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Doesn't sound like they're getting rid of that element completely considering one of the shorts is about him buying a supernatural artifact so he won't have to buy extra candles every birthday.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Scrooge has always been an adventurer-turned-billionaire, it's what made Barks and Rosa so great.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Does anyone else find the animation in the new Duckburg to... off? Something about it just looks very lifeless and lacks physicality.

And I don't know how I feel about Tennant's portrayal of scrooge. He doesn't sound very old but on the other hand it's not like Scrooge has to sound 70 or whatever. It'll take some getting used to.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

raditts posted:

Like... his name is literally Scrooge, how do you paper over that one.

If you can find a copy, read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Beachcomber posted:

If you can find a copy, read The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's amazing.

I really hope we get a reprint of that in the near future

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

The money bin he swims in doesn't contain money for spending! Everything in there is a memory from one of his old Indiana Jonesey adventures! Most of his money is tied up in investments and such, and the hoards of money in his mansion vaults are his "petty cash" for spending. When you see him swimming in the bin, he's not indulging his greed; he's drowning himself in MEMORIES.

I believe as per Don Rosa's stuff, Scrooge kept Duckburg from being affected by the Great Depression, by giving everyone stable well-paying jobs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Much like Mother's Day, CN is doing a Richard-themed Gumball marathon for Father's Day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like that he started his fortune in the 1890s Klondike gold rush, because it sets him right in a golden period for old-fashioned adventure pulp.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It took me way too long to realise that the Joke behind Scrooge McDuck's vault was that they were his Liquid Assets, ie cash. That's why it's a swimming pool - it's a financial visual pun.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

It took me way too long to realise that the Joke behind Scrooge McDuck's vault was that they were his Liquid Assets, ie cash. That's why it's a swimming pool - it's a financial visual pun.

:psyboom:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well I found Uncle Grandpa showing up in Boomerang so I guess it is well and truly dead now, no idea if they even broadcast the last of the episodes now and it gets a Beware the Batman treatment.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
New Wakfu season 3 trailer, season 3 airs in September: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9g_YbvPGlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

BattleTech posted:

New Wakfu season 3 trailer, season 3 airs in September: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9g_YbvPGlM

Aw hell yeah!

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: