Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Welcome the the Xbox and Microsoft Megathread, a thread for all the various consoles that Microsoft has made.

Xbox Console Series
  • Xbox (2001-2005) - The 1st Xbox. The one that started it all. A lot of good games to be had on this if you could find a working system. If you do have one, replace or remove the clock capacitor ASAP or else your Xbox will probably die soon.
  • Xbox 360 (2005-2013) - The 2nd Xbox. Their most successful console to date, though it was infamous for the hardware being unreliable due to being rushed to market. This console has a solid game library, though most of it's best exclusives have since been ported to PC and PS3. If you really want a 360, get an S model or an E model instead, those are more reliable.
  • Xbox One (2013-) - The 3rd Xbox. Had a rough launch due to the mandatory Kinect. Almost all of it's games can be found on PC at this point except for a small handful.
  • Xbox One X (2017-) The 4th Xbox. This is a souped up Xbox One that supports playing games in 4K, as a half generation iteration of the Xbox one. If you want to buy an Xbox One console, get an Xbonx instead.
  • Xbox One Series X (202?) The Fifth Xbox. We don't know a whole lot of details beyond the specs and what the hardware looks like, which is something like an Airport Base Station painted black.

It's also worth mentioning that that Xbox One S is only $249 USD, while the Xbox One X is $499.

Also, if you're still on the fence, Microsoft announced last year at E3 that all first party Xbox One games going forward would be released on Windows 10 and Steam.

With that said, most of those releases started in the Windows 10 Store and the UWP sandboxing can cause weird behavior and oddly high system requirements, however it is still an option worth considering for lower performance indie titles and those who already have gaming PC's.

Upcoming Games that are almost but not quite exclusive (defined as: games that are planned for the Xbox One console hardware and PC in some capacity, whether that's the Win 10 store or Steam):
  • Forza Motorsport 7 — Pretty much your run of the mill Forza racing sim. But now in 4K on the Xbox One X. Coming October 3rd, 2017 Out Now!
  • Cuphead — This side-scrolling platformer done in the style of a 1930's Max Fleischer cartoon has been shown off at several E3's in a row but still isn't released yet. Current Release Date is September 29th, 2017 Out Now!
  • Crackdown 3 — This open world sandbox series got its start being "that game that was bundled with the Halo 3 Beta," but it's your standard open world game. If you've played Saints Row IV, you've played the original Crackdown. Crackdown 3 features Terry Crews as well as cloud based building damage for PvP matches only. Coming November 7th, 2017 2018
  • Super Lucky's Tale — A sequel to an N64 style platformer that was originally released for the Oculus Rift. This is not a VR game, but a 3D platformer in the vein of Banjo Kazooie or Yooka Laylee. Despite appearances, this is not a Conker game. November 7th, 2017 Out now!
  • Sea of Thieves — A pirate themed MMOish game put together by the shambling corpse of Rare. Originally slated for 2016, it was pushed back last year to 2017, and pushed back again this year to 2018. Out now!
  • State of Decay 2 — It's got zombies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Current release date is May 22, 2018. Pre-Order Link
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps — The sequel to Ori and the Blind Forest. TBA
  • Scalebound — A new game by Platinum Studios and Hideki Kamiya involving dragons. Cancelled last year.
  • Fable Legends — Upcoming free-to-play MMO set as a kind of prequel to the Fable universe. Totally cancelled. Enjoy a Fable card game instead.
  • New Halo Game.
  • New Gears of War game.

Upcoming games that are actually exclusive (defined as: Games that are playable on the Xbox One console hardware and no other system, including PC):
  • Natsuki Chronicle (2017)
  • Shooting Love Trilogy (2017)
  • Students of the Round 2 (TBA)
  • Sword of Legends (TBA)

if you're trying to catch up on all the games offered on the Xbox One X or the Xbox One S, please take a look at this list of past E3 exclusives:

Here is the complete list of truly exclusive current content for the Xbox One (i.e. not playable on PS4 or Windows 10), timed or otherwise.

Crimson Dragon - Downloadable title, true exclusive
Dead Rising 3 Parody Capcom DLC (all other content is available on Steam)
Forza Horizon 2 - Retail title with some extra DLC, sort-of exclusive (toned-down version of the game is on 360)
Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious - Downloadable title, sort-of exclusive (toned-down version of the game is on 360)
Forza Motorsport 5 - Retail title with extra DLC and microtransactions, true exclusive
Forza Motorsport 6 - Retail title with extra DLC and microtransactions, F2P version is available on Windows 10
Halo: Master Chief Collection - Individual games are all playable on 360 (minus online play for Halo 2), Halo 1 and 2 also on PC
Halo 5: Guardians - Retail-tier title, Forge as well as ability to play custom matches is available on Windows 10
Powerstar Golf - Downloadable title, true exclusive
Pro Evolution Soccer series - local 8-player mode exclusive, Playstation version has better resolution and other exclusive features but 4 local players max
Rare Replay - Low-cost retail-tier title, individual games available separately on various other platforms, mostly NES, N64 and 360
Sunset Overdrive - Retail-tier title with some extra DLC, true exclusive - Now on PC

Kinect required games

Dance Central Spotlight (Downloadable dancing game, can use DLC from other Dance Central titles)
Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved (also on 360)
Fighter Within (Retail game, 23 on Metacritic)
Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 (Downloadable game)
Just Dance 2014 (6-player mode is exclusive to Xbox One version of the game, although the game is otherwise available on all other home consoles except the PSTV)
Shape Up (Retail workout software)

New for 2017:
Backwards compatibly with Original Xbox games.

List of Xbox 1 games playable on the Xbox One:
  • Black
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • BLINX THE TIME SWEEPER
  • Breakdown
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge.
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Fuzion Frenzy
  • Psychonauts
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta.
  • Sid Meier’s Pirates!
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies (also available as part of the Rare Replay Collection)
  • Star Wars: Knights if the Old Republic
  • Jade Empire
  • Bloodrayne 2
  • Red Faction 2
  • Dead to Rights
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • King of Fighters: New Wave
  • SSX 3
  • Destroy All Humans
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
  • MX Unleashed
  • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory (Europe only)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
  • Star Wars Republic Commando

But presumably, Halo, Halo 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Drake of the 99 Dragons, Brute Force, Blinx the Time Sweeper, and Azurik: Rise of Perathia are coming soon.

Something Awful Goons Xbox Live Club That No One Cares About
https://account.xbox.com/en-US/clubs/profile?clubid=3379882528830478

Relish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Relish.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Instant Sunrise posted:

[*]Phantom Dust — Announced at E3 2014, then quietly shelved and the studio working on it shut down. Reemerged at last year's E3 as an he remaster of the original Xbox game. No-show at E3 this year.

Wait wasn't this released already and for free?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Wait wasn't this released already and for free?

Whoops! Fixed.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I can't find any info on First party ms games coming to steam? Got a link?

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Just going to expect a good percentage of the more demanding games to downscale from ~4k~ to something less crazy when things get tricky.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I can't find any info on First party ms games coming to steam? Got a link?

Here you go!

And here is the store page for Cuphead: http://store.steampowered.com/app/268910/Cuphead/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Megafunk posted:

Just going to expect a good percentage of the more demanding games to downscale from ~4k~ to something less crazy when things get tricky.

This is pretty likely. Either it's going to be checkerboarding a'la the PS4 Pro or simply running at an internal resolution of 1440p and upscaling to 4K.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Five Hundred Dollars

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I'm not so sure different SKUs in the console world is a good thing, and particularly ones with such disparities in specification.

For starters (and I'm not remotely an expert) I would presume that developers will - from a purely practical financial standpoint - develop towards the SKUs with the greatest market penetration, which is the PS4 and Xbone. No one is likely to make a game targeted at the XBX, exploiting its specs when it would run like a dog on the Xbone. At best, it would seem, you're likely to get pretty lukewarm benefits like an unlocked FPS, more particle effects or simply just a resolution bump.. i.e. quick wins for developers.

Granted developers could make PC-like games with pre-configured quality settings based on the console running it, but that seems like the opposite of what console gaming (and development) is about, certainly where PS4 is the lead platform and there is no PC version of the game.

Maybe I'm being too cynical, it will sell to the hardcore crowd regardless.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

On the positive side, Microsoft is really giving SquareEnix a run for its "worst names for gaming things" title

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Durzel posted:

Maybe I'm being too cynical, it will sell to the hardcore crowd regardless.

No, those people own good PCs that will run everything anyway.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So it's an Xbone pro? Should have saved themselves for the actual next-gen. Will be interesting to see how this thing sells.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
X
B OX
O NE
X

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

henpod posted:

So it's an Xbone pro? Should have saved themselves for the actual next-gen. Will be interesting to see how this thing sells.

Nah, Xbone pro would be the same ram and a slight clock speed bump. This is a new console that's backward compatible with the old console.

With Windows as a Service finally being fairly solid, it's become fairly easy to write an application/game once and have it run on just about any platform. So the idea would be:

code:
if (xbonx) {
  start_game_xbonx();
} else {
  start_game_xbone();
}
and call it good (way oversimplified here).

I just hope they aren't keeping the stupid loving provision that all new games must keep the 32Mb of ESRAM in mind when programming, but I bet they will.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
649 AUD :captainpop:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

xbox

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
If it's a new console, does it have its own line of games or just improve those coming out on the two other 'Ones'? I'm console agnostic, but it's a little confusing as to how this is being positioned. It's a new console, but not really as it'll play the same games as the previous ones.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Can't wait to play Blinx the Time Sweeper on my new console that costs literally twice what the base model of the same console costs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Nah, Xbone pro would be the same ram and a slight clock speed bump. This is a new console that's backward compatible with the old console.

Video Games can we not start off this thread with blatant lies on the first page?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyo-06jkrDM

Always bet on the Duke

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Always bet on the Duke

hoping they use the same exact cast so I can frankenstien my totally awesome front plate with the green jewel like when the console was first shown on:

(Xbox Wonks)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

they named the fifth xbox the xbox one x

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait for the confused consumers who don't understand why the smaller one costs more. Obviously the bigger one is better.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Wait, I'm still confused about Phantom Dust. The free version they just released wasn't the HD reboot they were going to do, is it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HD reboot is cancelled, the free version is all there is

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

so many megaflops

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

yisssssssss

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Phantom Dust was a surprise announcement at E3 2014 that caught everyone off guard, including the people making the game. It was originally going to be a multiplayer reboot of the series. Then it was going to have a single player campaign as well, and then the developers ran out of money and had to close their doors because of this feature creep and the game was shelved.

Then last year Microsoft announced that there would be an HD Remaster of the original game by a different studio, and that came out last month.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

IS, can you put this in the OP:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Does it have enough flops?

The nintendo is p. good at making flops I hear

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I hope they remake bloodborne for this. Its about time someone played it above a stuttering 20 FPS

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

IS, can you put this in the OP:

Done.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Does it have enough flops?

The nintendo is p. good at making flops I hear

It has 6 trillion flops.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

No, those people own good PCs that will run everything anyway.

Even if they didn't, as long as they have a desktop PC that can take a graphics card, a Geforce 1080 can be had for sub-$499US very easily and that card will absolutely destroy the Bonx.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I hope they remake bloodborne for this. Its about time someone played it above a stuttering 20 FPS

Good news, they made a console for this, it's called the PS4 Pro! Boost Mode on the PS4 Pro locks the framerate to 30.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 12, 2017

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
OP, post the real upcoming exclusives list.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So in the last thread I asked about Xbox games that weren't on the windows store and some nerd linked me to a list of pinball games. Lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Themage posted:

So in the last thread I asked about Xbox games that weren't on the windows store and some nerd linked me to a list of pinball games. Lol

The closest things to actual Xbox One games not on PC, and will not expand:

Crimson Dragon (downloadable title, 100% exclusive to Xbox One)
Forza Horizon 2 (FH3 is on the Windows 10 Store as a "Play Anywhere" title, a sort-of simplified port of FH2 is also on Xbox 360)
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6 (a stripped-down free version called "Forza Motorsport 6: Apex" is on the Windows 10 Store. Forza Motorsport 7 will be on the Windows 10 Store as a "Play Anywhere" title)
Halo: Master Chief Collection (the bulk of its component parts are available on Xbox 360, and this game still has really spotty multiplayer functionality according to recent NeoGAF threads)
Halo 5 (Forge mode and multiplayer is on Windows 10 Store)
Powerstar Golf (downloadable title, 100% exclusive to Xbox One)
Raiden V (retail-tier budget title, 100% exclusive to Xbox One at this time)
Rare Replay (retail-tier budget title, its individual games are available on various other platforms with about half being on Xbox 360 and the rest being mostly NES titles)
Screamride (also on Xbox 360)
Sunset Overdrive (retail-launched-at-$60-tier title, 100% exclusive to Xbox One)
Zoo Tycoon (also on Xbox 360)

If you have Kinect, you have these other games:

Dance Central Spotlight (Downloadable game, can use DLC from other Dance Central titles that were on Xbox 360)
Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved (also on 360)
Fighter Within (Retail-tier title, 23 on Metacritic)
Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 (Downloadable game)
Shape Up (Retail workout software)

The online workout video platform they had was shut down, and all purchases were refunded.

Beyond that list, there are a few tiny exclusive features here and there, like Shovel Knight has something with Battletoads in it, the current FIFA games have FIFA Ultimate Team Legends (rumored to be shifting to Playstation this year), Dead Rising 3 has a joke Capcom DLC that isn't on other platforms like Steam, Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven has 8-player local play support, some (maybe only the first few?) Just Dance titles have a 6-player mode exclusively.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 12, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So the Kinect's finally dead right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

So the Kinect's finally dead right?

The Kinect is a vital part of the Xbox One experience It's dead, the Xbox One S and Xbox One X don't even have the Kinect ports and need a special USB adapter.