Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MiddleOne posted:

The banana-knife fish game...?

The very same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

The very same.

Good for her. :shobon:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
God drat are some of the kills in Friday the 13th hilariously brutal. Especially when you nail a slippery little bastard who's been taunting you. Sorry, but I'm slamming you against a tree, getting behind you, and pulling your arms back behind you until I pull them clear off.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still a little surprised whenever Jason merely stabs me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

poptart_fairy posted:

Still a little surprised whenever Jason merely stabs me.

Jasons seem to prefer that to slow you down if you're a fast counselor or they're worried you've got a pocket knife. Or if you're a high-strength/they're a low-strength. I usually try to cripple counselors with traps, knives, and melee before grabbing them for the kill.

Particularly fun is breaking every window but one on a cabin, and once you've got someone in there, plant a trap outside the one unbroken window and start breaking down the door. They'll almost always shoot for the intact window and right into your trap for an easy kill.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah, I meant more about the grab kills that are just stabs!

And double on the won't grab until they're injured/trapped/poo poo talking. loving with counselors and still allowing them those last minute turn arounds is a lot more interesting to me than simply teleporting, grabbing and sticking them on a pike straight away.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another ability I love is Stalk.

For those who haven't played the game, one of the main mechanics counselors have for knowing Jason is around is that slasher music starts playing. You hear the music, you know Jason's around and it's time to run or hide. When the music stops, you've evaded him or he's left.

Jason has an ability called Stalk. Stalk turns that music off, and lasts much longer if Jason is stationary.

Something I love to do with pubbies who I know are in a cabin somewhere but am not sure exactly where is to find a spot not in line of sight to any beds or closets and turn on Stalk. Most of the time, a scared counselor will leave their hiding spot a few seconds later. And that's when you grab them, because Jason didn't leave the cabin after all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've never played the game but I've watched streams, is Jason allowed to teleport or something?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RyokoTK posted:

I've never played the game but I've watched streams, is Jason allowed to teleport or something?

He has a couple of teleports. One is pick a spot on the camp map, he'll appear somewhere in the vicinity of the target spot. The other lets him turn invisible and race ahead much faster than normal.

These are Jason's main way of getting around, as he's usually quite slow and campers tend to be fast. In a straight chase, Jason's never going to catch anyone unless he's injured them before hand - especially not if it's one of the fast campers.

Most of the time, Jason kills with ambush tactics.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My favorite moment in Prey so far was this (Minor spoilers for a small little non-story surprise moment relatively early in the game): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen5oyld8fw&t=25s
I did the exact same thing as in that video and then proceeded to just laugh for a while.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

He has all kinds of murky genre-related superpowers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Action Tortoise posted:

One of the maps in Doom is pretty much shaped like a hand, with four narrow corridors as fingers.

And I can't believe this game has a mimic room. I thought I got turned around when I noticed one map had two exit rooms. I activated one of them and the walls pulled down and vomited a small army of demons.

There's a thread in Let's Play playing the entirety of the DOOM and associated games franchise, including all the most popular WADS and MODS for each game.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'd like to see in a F13 movie is a character who was also bullied when he was Jason's age, although obviously not to death like he was, trying to empathise with him. Not in a "trying to control him" way, but trying to break through the supernatural bullshit fueling his rage to the scared ten-year-old who's lashing out. Even if it was unlikely to work in any meaningful way it could be an interesting type of character regardless.

I"m imagining the " It's not your fault" scene between Robin Williams and Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting. He keeps saying it until Jason breaks down and cries, freaks out about the water coming out of his eyes and beats his therapist to death with some apples .

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
He keeps saying it until Jason buries his machete in the dude's face so hard it splits him in half.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Glagha posted:

My favorite moment in Prey so far was this (Minor spoilers for a small little non-story surprise moment relatively early in the game): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen5oyld8fw&t=25s
I did the exact same thing as in that video and then proceeded to just laugh for a while.

Yeap. Legit one of the best scares a game ever gave me.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Cythereal posted:

He has a couple of teleports. One is pick a spot on the camp map, he'll appear somewhere in the vicinity of the target spot. The other lets him turn invisible and race ahead much faster than normal.

MiddleOne posted:

He has all kinds of murky genre-related superpowers.

Haha cool, that's really clever.

Does he have a way to turn the players' cameras back on themselves so he can sneak up on them from the front? Ever since someone pointed that out to me i always notice it in horror movies.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

swamp waste posted:

Does he have a way to turn the players' cameras back on themselves so he can sneak up on them from the front? Ever since someone pointed that out to me i always notice it in horror movies.
No, but he does have a special ability (Stalk) where it disables the music cues for the players when you're close, so basically you can either sneak up on them without them realizing, or you can fake a retreat and get them to come out of their hiding spots without much fuss.

Creating your own jump scares and hearing people freak out over mic is hilarious.

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Jun 12, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Also, if you teleport near Counselors a strong VHS distortion kicks in. It's both a warning, and neat way of 'disguising' the teleport.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the things I like a fair bit is that there are huge experience rewards just for completing a match instead of punking out when you die or don't get to be Jason. Doesn't stop every sore loser but it helps.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

One of the things I like a fair bit is that there are huge experience rewards just for completing a match instead of punking out when you die or don't get to be Jason. Doesn't stop every sore loser but it helps.

It's also just plain fun to gently caress up and get killed by a decently competent Jason. Losing is fun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cythereal posted:

It's also just plain fun to gently caress up and get killed by a decently competent Jason. Losing is fun.

I should know, because I'm always dying as Tommy Jarvis.

The most boring Jason I've met so far was a Sackhead who just ran at people and hit them with a melee weapon until they died. No grabs, no traps, no imaginative kills at all. Like, what are you even playing the game for you fucker!? Kill me in a cool way!

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Jun 13, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Saboteur

There's some light stealth in the game. It reminds me of Death to Spies. If you take a Nazi down without shooting them (blood will get on their uniforms and ruin the disguise), you can wear their uniform to pass as a Nazi, and if you get too close to other Nazis you could blow your cover.

I like that the reason for you disguise being so flimsy is that you only wear the top half of a Nazi uniform. You never change pants or boots and you couldn't tell in the monochrome parts of Paris but when you're in a liberated zone it's plain as day. It's fitting for your character to not give too much of a drat with having a perfect disguise.

Your home base is a strip club. At the center is a stage with a woman singing as Nazis catcall her. If you wander on stage the ambient sound changes from cheers to booing and switches back when you get off stage.

Stealth is entirely line of sight, so you can shoot guards to your heart's content as long as noone catches you and you drop any guard before they can sound an alarm. It felt pretty good realizing that the reason I always triggered an alert between two guards was because I was doing time-wasting stealth animations instead of just shooting them both down before they could react. It also fits with your character.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Magikarp Jump: when you head into competition, you can tap your screen and white text scrolls across the screen cheering your Magikarp on. This is multi-touch capable, so you can drum your fingers on the screen and flood the whole picture with "GO Magikarp!" "You Can Do It!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

The Saboteur

There's some light stealth in the game. It reminds me of Death to Spies. If you take a Nazi down without shooting them (blood will get on their uniforms and ruin the disguise), you can wear their uniform to pass as a Nazi, and if you get too close to other Nazis you could blow your cover.

I like that the reason for you disguise being so flimsy is that you only wear the top half of a Nazi uniform. You never change pants or boots and you couldn't tell in the monochrome parts of Paris but when you're in a liberated zone it's plain as day. It's fitting for your character to not give too much of a drat with having a perfect disguise.

Your home base is a strip club. At the center is a stage with a woman singing as Nazis catcall her. If you wander on stage the ambient sound changes from cheers to booing and switches back when you get off stage.

Stealth is entirely line of sight, so you can shoot guards to your heart's content as long as noone catches you and you drop any guard before they can sound an alarm. It felt pretty good realizing that the reason I always triggered an alert between two guards was because I was doing time-wasting stealth animations instead of just shooting them both down before they could react. It also fits with your character.

Sound also plays into stealth in that gunshots and explosions make a visible radius of sound on your minimap and any Nazis in it will immediately beeline to the center to investigate. What gets fun is when you factor in your timed and remote-controlled explosives so you can use the explosion as a distraction to escape or draw enemies away from a point of interest or just stealth kill them while their backs are turned.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Sound also plays into stealth in that gunshots and explosions make a visible radius of sound on your minimap and any Nazis in it will immediately beeline to the center to investigate. What gets fun is when you factor in your timed and remote-controlled explosives so you can use the explosion as a distraction to escape or draw enemies away from a point of interest or just stealth kill them while their backs are turned.

My favorite little thing in games is that they teach you this in the tutorial and actually demonstrate it twice. Yes, one of my favorite little things is when a game actually demonstrates how a mechanic works instead of saying "by the way, you can do X" but not show you how it works.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Guy Mann posted:

I haven't played The Saboteur but this reminds me of stuff you could do in Metal Gear Solid 5. I'd like to set C4 on a generator as a way to always have a loud distraction that would draw attention.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

marshmallow creep posted:

I should know, because I'm always dying as Tommy Jarvis.

The most boring Jason I've met so far was a Sackhead who just ran at people and hit them with a melee weapon until they died. No grabs, no traps, no imaginative kills at all. Like, what are you even playing the game for you fucker!? Kill me in a cool way!

At least thematically, i'm a fan of using Jason's Shift ability to suddenly appear in front of sombody for the instant grab kill, very much like something out of the movies when you scare the poo poo out of somebody and they run away, only to run into you since you literally teleported to be in front of them again.

Gameplay wise it's kinda bullshit to play around since unless you have a defensive item on you then you're going to die 99% of the time unless you are playing as a super strong Councillor.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I haven't played The Saboteur but this reminds me of stuff you could do in Metal Gear Solid 5. I'd like to set C4 on a generator as a way to always have a loud distraction that would draw attention.

The Saboteur borrows elements from other stealth games, but does them really well. When you trigger an alert there are hiding places like in Assassin's Creed but they never show up on your radar unless you need them. The map is never cluttered like an AC game and I like that. The hiding places can be boring like a ceiling hatch or a shack but the more clever ones are the urinals on the street corner and the brothel entrances on some buildings.

There was a complaint about how the color returning mechanic robs the game of its appeal, and I kinda agree with that but I still like it happening because it's a nonverbal way of showing me I took care of an area and it's pretty cool to see the color return as you're walking the streets and not in a cutscene.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

The Saboteur borrows elements from other stealth games, but does them really well. When you trigger an alert there are hiding places like in Assassin's Creed but they never show up on your radar unless you need them. The map is never cluttered like an AC game and I like that. The hiding places can be boring like a ceiling hatch or a shack but the more clever ones are the urinals on the street corner and the brothel entrances on some buildings.

There was a complaint about how the color returning mechanic robs the game of its appeal, and I kinda agree with that but I still like it happening because it's a nonverbal way of showing me I took care of an area and it's pretty cool to see the color return as you're walking the streets and not in a cutscene.

The efficacy of hiding places also scales to the level of alert they're at, so at low wanted level you can dodge some pursuing soldiers by hiding in a urinal or pulling a passing woman in for a smooch but at the highest wanted levels your only options for evading the manhunt is to hoof it out to the countryside and hunker down in a well until the heat blows over.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Gameplay wise it's kinda bullshit to play around since unless you have a defensive item on you then you're going to die 99% of the time unless you are playing as a super strong Councillor.

When you 'see' him start to shift, run circles to make him miss his grab :eng101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Guy Mann posted:

The efficacy of hiding places also scales to the level of alert they're at, so at low wanted level you can dodge some pursuing soldiers by hiding in a urinal or pulling a passing woman in for a smooch but at the highest wanted levels your only options for evading the manhunt is to hoof it out to the countryside and hunker down in a well until the heat blows over.

Doing this once unlocks a perk that allows you to use any hiding place no matter what alarm level you're on

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

At least thematically, i'm a fan of using Jason's Shift ability to suddenly appear in front of sombody for the instant grab kill, very much like something out of the movies when you scare the poo poo out of somebody and they run away, only to run into you since you literally teleported to be in front of them again.

The shift-grab is hard to pull off successfully, though, and if he misses the grab he's usually out of luck killing that camper anytime soon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The achievement for defeating the cyberdemon in doom 2016 is called Shoot It Until It Dies.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Its been years since I played it, but C&C: Red Alert 2 had a bit of a neat thing with the two sides' air units and anti-air weapons. The Allies Air units were all fairly fast but reasonably fragile units (flying infantry, regular and drone aircraft) that were easy to mass, so the Soviets had anti-air that hit for lower damage over an area, so if you had a few you could shoot down clouds of enemies fairly quickly. Meanwhile the Soviet ones were more durable, but typically slower, more expensive and packed a devastating punch (war blimps and V2s), so Allied AA was all about hitting a single target with a lot more damage. They were clearly made to fight off the specific units the other side had, and fared relatively poorly against their own units.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started messing around in Crackdown for the first time in years. Love that when you get decent agility you can simply scale the strongholds straight to the bosses then beat them to death, and often do so before his goons finish you off if you have a few health bars spare. It makes for good flow as well that as the game goes on this becomes less and less viable until by the time of Wang's higher ranking generals you need to actually fight your way through their entire buildings as they have no good shortcuts to them. Feels climactic.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

You can also hide at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

The shift-grab is hard to pull off successfully, though, and if he misses the grab he's usually out of luck killing that camper anytime soon.

Just walk after them. They'll tire. You won't. :getin:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Tomorrow's expansion reminded me that while Final Fantasy XIV has always been good about its series fanservice, the fact that (Heavensward final cutscene spoilers I guess) the abilities Omega and Shinryu use in their battle are largely fancier versions of the ones they use against you in FFV stood out as a particularly neat detail for me.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

HPanda posted:

You can also hide at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Sacre bleu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

poptart_fairy posted:

Just walk after them. They'll tire. You won't. :getin:

This is the best, when counselors don't realize this. One time I had a dude legit sprint around a car yelling "I can do this all day!". Once he tired out I said "Oh no you can't!" and we all had a good laugh as I impaled him on a bird bath :v:

Really, persistence is key as Jason. the more you're around them, the more fear they get, the shittier their stamina regenerates. Let them do the running, you can just keep a leisurely stroll until they wear themselves out :murder: