Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Uni's are the goddamned worst with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's insultingly low for anybody with any experience at all, isn't it? I mean like...anywhere.

Just today I saw a job posting here in St. Louis calling for >=3 years post-grad experience in front-end web development. $49K.

The cost of living here is cheap but $49K is still an insulting number in tyool 2017. I made $55K immediately out of school in 2003.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Anyone have any experience with Ultimate Software?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

Just today I saw a job posting here in St. Louis calling for >=3 years post-grad experience in front-end web development. $49K.

The cost of living here is cheap but $49K is still an insulting number in tyool 2017. I made $55K immediately out of school in 2003.

When I was job interviewing in college I got an offer for $30K based on my CS degree.

I laughed at them and ended the interview. I don't know why they're even trying to get CS people at that pay grade.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm the dumbass that took the job and it's hurt me for a decade

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I just graduated from a 2 year postgrad community college course in Canada, and the only jobs that are even offering me responses for developer positions pay 40-50k. The pay is insultingly low but I'm not sure what else I can do besides continue to gain experience. I'm making 45k now as a junior developer in my first programming job. Anyone have experience with Canadian salaries? I'm hoping for a huge bump after I get a year's experience and hopefully get a better job, but it seems like most companies here are low-balling like crazy.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
I'm in Toronto and started out at 60k. I got a 5% paybump a few months after and then moved companies a year and a bit after that for a much larger bump.

It depends where you are but salaries are definitely on the rise in Toronto. 55-65k did seem somewhat common for new grads. There's definitely a lot of places out there that are willing to pay very well but it does seem like around 2 years of experience is the sweet spot.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ornithology posted:

I just graduated from a 2 year postgrad community college course in Canada, and the only jobs that are even offering me responses for developer positions pay 40-50k. The pay is insultingly low but I'm not sure what else I can do besides continue to gain experience. I'm making 45k now as a junior developer in my first programming job. Anyone have experience with Canadian salaries? I'm hoping for a huge bump after I get a year's experience and hopefully get a better job, but it seems like most companies here are low-balling like crazy.

where are you and what kinds of jobs are you applying for? we start new devs at $60k in toronto

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Iverron posted:

Anyone have any experience with Ultimate Software?
I've been seeing a lot of positions being pushed by this company in the past year-ish or so. They sound like they're trying to run a decent company but I haven't even talked to a recruiter yet because my BS meter is going off the charts because they sound like they're full of themselves.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with fully remote positions? I live in an area where there aren't a lot of good development jobs that aren't a 45+ minute commute but the CoL is dirt cheap, among the lowest in the country. I was looking at fully remote development jobs recently and it seems tempting to start applying to them.

I have plenty of friends outside of work, so I wouldn't think the social part would be too rough. I'm mostly curious how hard the transition is with communication, meetings, day-to-day schedules, etc. Also, if there are any red flags for bad remote development jobs? Signs that a place may be a good place to work remotely? Maybe personal red flags that would tell me that I wouldn't be a fit for remote work?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

I've been seeing a lot of positions being pushed by this company in the past year-ish or so. They sound like they're trying to run a decent company but I haven't even talked to a recruiter yet because my BS meter is going off the charts because they sound like they're full of themselves.

A lot of companies in Pittsburgh just always list jobs constantly to collect resumes. They don't have jobs open. They just always collect for the next time they go through layoffs and need to restructure.

At least that's what my recruiter friend tells me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

Anyone have experience with fully remote positions? I'm mostly curious how hard the transition is with communication, meetings, day-to-day schedules, etc. Also, if there are any red flags for bad remote development jobs? Signs that a place may be a good place to work remotely? Maybe personal red flags that would tell me that I wouldn't be a fit for remote work?

I've been full time remote for the last 8 or 9 months and part time remote for a few years before that.

If you're confident you can deal with the personal isolation then the rest is all about their culture with regard to remote workers, the size/location of the team you're going to be on, and your role within it. It's human nature to default to in-person communication so if there's any sort of critical mass of office based workers on your team you will want to see evidence of an online-first culture or a strong commitment to adopting one. This means things like conversations happening on slack even if people are next to each other, quick across-the-desk chats that turn into more serious things being split out into a proper meeting including remote people, write ups of meetings after they happen, that sort of thing.

As for meetings, next time you're in a meeting watch the people who aren't talking. Look for all the body language and vocal cues they emit when they want to signal that they have something to say. Now imagine everyone's full size but you're 6" tall on a macbook screen with tiny speakers which only two people can see, and you'll quickly see the need for large displays with proper webcams in meeting rooms, and ideally some sort of rigorous meeting protocol that allows you to cut in as needed without having to shout over people.

If you're wondering how well you'd handle WFH personally, try it out with your current job. Tell them you've got a cold, you're well enough to work but you don't want to infect anyone, and spend a week working from home. Get a feel for how well you maintain a work/life balance, how your working environment is, etc.

Edit: oh and I find bad remote culture much easier to deal with as a contractor than as a permie, since as a contractor I'm not really invested in making impact and change so much as executing on their needs, so I'll happily sit in a meeting for an hour unable to get a word in, with my feet up on my desk and an imaginary clock ticking up to 1/8th of my day rate. Likewise if I spend a day trying to get someone to respond so they can unblock my work, well, it's their money they're wasting. If I was permie I'd be more frustrated by not being able to engage with the process and wasting my time trying.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 3, 2017

Iverron
May 13, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

:same:

I haven't had good experiences with listings that are hiring positions for every major language imaginable.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

Anyone have experience with fully remote positions? I live in an area where there aren't a lot of good development jobs that aren't a 45+ minute commute but the CoL is dirt cheap, among the lowest in the country. I was looking at fully remote development jobs recently and it seems tempting to start applying to them.

I have plenty of friends outside of work, so I wouldn't think the social part would be too rough. I'm mostly curious how hard the transition is with communication, meetings, day-to-day schedules, etc. Also, if there are any red flags for bad remote development jobs? Signs that a place may be a good place to work remotely? Maybe personal red flags that would tell me that I wouldn't be a fit for remote work?

I've been fully remote for almost 6 years.

You want to find a company that is remote-first, or at least heavily invested in being remote. If you are one of just a handful remote people, your life will be poo poo, because you will be left out of all decisions and just be 'that guy' that gets assigned tasks to do as a one-way-street. If the company is serious about supporting or being remote, then there won't be much of a transition. Your office will probably be Slack or Hipchat, you'll communicate there, through Jira or Github or whatever, and video conference regularly when you need to figure something out or plan, etc. If there's a real office, people there should be serious about making everything: work, decisions, socialization accessible for remote people. (Ask about this while interviewing: where are decisions made? what percentage of company/department/team is remote? what day to day communication tools do you use?)

As for if it's a good fit for you, it's hard to tell without trying it, but look back on your experience working and consider: do you like being left alone to work and interact with other people at critical junctions? or are you happier actually or effectively pair-programming, interacting with other people constantly while you work? I don't mean to imply that remote work is generally isolating, or even that the second answer means remote work wouldn't be good for you (I'm sure there are remote-first pair-programming companies), it's just a bit different.

Really, tldr: how do you feel about chat rooms?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wilderthanmild posted:

I've been fully remote for the last 4 years, and had a 1.5 year-long remote job back in 2008-2009 as well. I will definitely say that ten years ago the job was a ton harder to do remote without the tools we have now (slack, stupid easy video calling, etc).

Here are things I consider when interviewing for a remote position - these are the things that make the difference between a job you'll love doing and a job that frustrates you into quitting.

• How are major decisions made, do developers just have an ad-hoc discussion over lunch and go back and implement it? Or is a meeting called and the decision is written down and logged along with the supporting reasoning for it? This is good practice in general, but especially so for remote people who weren't present for that lunch discussion.
  • Do people use the same communication tools in the office the same way you do when you're remote? I spend a week in my team's office every few months and we basically are heads-down at our desks, using slack, outside of lunch and happy hour. It means I don't miss anything. I've been at places where if a remote is on a video conference, everyone takes the call from their desk just like I would.
  • Are people accessible if you have a question? If you're blocked with something and aren't physically present, it's harder to get a question across.

Also at least for me, there's a personal discipline element that makes a big difference to success. I have a separate room in my house that is a home office, and I use that room exclusively for work. I still need do my normal morning routine as if I'm going to drive to an office. It puts my head into work mode, and similarly leaving the office at the end of the day takes my head out of work mode. What you don't want to have happen is for work to invade home and you overwork, or home to invade work and you slack off.

This isn't a problem for everyone. I've got a friend who will often pick up a couple hours in the evening from bed, and toss her laptop on the night stand at midnight. She wakes up in the morning, rolls over to grab her laptop, and works from bed in her pajamas until noon. It works for her.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 3, 2017

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

where are you and what kinds of jobs are you applying for? we start new devs at $60k in toronto

I'm in Toronto. I've been applying for Junior C# and Java developer positions, as well as Android/mobile dev positions. Any suggestions of what types of companies to apply to?

I didn't get any callbacks from any of the banks, or Amazon/Google. Didn't hear from any startups either. Only places which called me back were provincial government and medium-small companies, with 50k being the highest pay offered so far. Suggestions on how to get better salary would be great, as I'm currently only making 45k.

I don't have comp sci degree though, just a post-grad college certificate in software development.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

My first job out of non-prestige grad school was just such a job at a medium size company. I hopped after one year and got a nice raise, then continued to hop every 1-2 years until I was making what I was worth.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ornithology posted:

I don't have comp sci degree though, just a post-grad college certificate in software development.

if you want i can put your cv in front of my director of eng. i'm at a startup doing analytics stuff in toronto. we mostly do python, scala and js but we're moving to kotlin and elixir. experience isn't necessary if you think you can pick any of those up relatively quickly

same goes for any other toronto area goons who are looking for jr/intermediate positions

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

if you want i can put your cv in front of my director of eng. i'm at a startup doing analytics stuff in toronto. we mostly do python, scala and js but we're moving to kotlin and elixir. experience isn't necessary if you think you can pick any of those up relatively quickly

same goes for any other toronto area goons who are looking for jr/intermediate positions

That would be great. Do you mind sending me your contact info at ornithology.sa at g mail .com? I don't have PMs. I'll send you back my resume from my non-throwaway e-mail account. Would be interested to hear the name of the company too so I can do some research.

My projects are mostly written in Java and C# but I'm sure learning new languages wouldn't be an issue. My college program had a pretty wide variety of languages to learn so I'm no stranger to picking them up on the fly. I also have JS experience from my current workplace and my college program.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I'm nearing the end of the interview process with this company and the position I applied for was initially listed as Remote or Partial Remote, but after two phone screens I'm not sure that's still the case. It's local for me, but the commute is about twice as long as my current commute and I'd rather avoid that at least 3-4 days a week. The development teams are distributed anyway and use Hangouts / Slack to communicate.

Should I bring this up in the next interview or wait until the offer stage to negotiate Remote?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Iverron posted:

I'm nearing the end of the interview process with this company and the position I applied for was initially listed as Remote or Partial Remote, but after two phone screens I'm not sure that's still the case. It's local for me, but the commute is about twice as long as my current commute and I'd rather avoid that at least 3-4 days a week. The development teams are distributed anyway and use Hangouts / Slack to communicate.

Should I bring this up in the next interview or wait until the offer stage to negotiate Remote?

Why do you think it's not the case anymore? You should bring it up ASAP if it's been implied or stated that it's not the case anymore, and if it's a deal breaker for you -- but to HR or hiring manager or whoever your point of contact is, not just the next schlub you have on hangouts.

I wouldn't sweat it if some random person you talked to had the impression you were local enough to be in the office all the time. But if the hiring manager or otherwise important person said something about it, yeah bring it up.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Why do you think it's not the case anymore? You should bring it up ASAP if it's been implied or stated that it's not the case anymore, and if it's a deal breaker for you -- but to HR or hiring manager or whoever your point of contact is, not just the next schlub you have on hangouts.

I wouldn't sweat it if some random person you talked to had the impression you were local enough to be in the office all the time. But if the hiring manager or otherwise important person said something about it, yeah bring it up.

I asked a question about tooling / process with regard to the distributed team and in the answer the dev on the call asked the team lead on the call if the position was remote to which her response was "no, it's in the X office".

I suppose partial remote still fits that answer, I would still be in "X office" partially, but it's definitely a sticking point for me so I'll contact said important person before the next interview.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it a faux pas to reduce your focus on the work you're assigned while you're trying to :yotj:? It would really help if I could coast on zero effort while I do applications and interviews. I'm already braindead in this job and have stopped caring, but still feel bad slacking on it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's up to you. You can try to rationalize it to yourself, but the bottom line is that you're being paid by the company to work for them.

Keep in mind that jobhunting while at work can piss people off, and of course also that your network use is monitored.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Is it a faux pas to reduce your focus on the work you're assigned while you're trying to :yotj:? It would really help if I could coast on zero effort while I do applications and interviews. I'm already braindead in this job and have stopped caring, but still feel bad slacking on it.

Yeah, it's a major faux pas. That's why you are smart about it and don't let anyone know that's what you're doing. (See: monitored network/computer if applicable)

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I'd say it's not very ethical and could cause friction with your current colleagues and bosses. I would personally not do this while on the clock.
Sometime you don't have a choice for example if you have to do an on-site during business hours and don't have PTO that you can use.

Still, it depend on the context. In extreme case where I had no work assigned, no side-project or innovation I can focus on and that all the signs of a sinking ship are present well... that's different.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I mean like, working from home more often to double-up on applications on my personal laptop, not literally doing it while in the office or anything. It's just become really hard to focus on or care about my current job and I wanna be productive in a better way instead. It might be selfish to say that, but I genuinely think the best thing for me is to move on as cleanly and quickly as possible.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I mean like, working from home more often to double-up on applications on my personal laptop, not literally doing it while in the office or anything. It's just become really hard to focus on or care about my current job and I wanna be productive in a better way instead. It might be selfish to say that, but I genuinely think the best thing for me is to move on as cleanly and quickly as possible.
Then quit.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This is dumb advice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm not going to quit without something lined up. That's an awful position to be in when job hunting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

This is dumb advice.
Pollyanna does a lot of other dumb stuff, let's keep it rolling.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Just use your discretion. Is it 'good' to slack off? of course not. Is it something that everyone does sometimes? yeah, of course it is. You've checked out, and that's fine -- it's not an either/or choice between I WOULD DIE FOR THIS JOB and quitting. Balance: make sure you aren't totally loving up at work, but you don't need to feel bad about diverting your mental effort elsewhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Just use your discretion. Is it 'good' to slack off? of course not. Is it something that everyone does sometimes? yeah, of course it is. You've checked out, and that's fine -- it's not an either/or choice between I WOULD DIE FOR THIS JOB and quitting. Balance: make sure you aren't totally loving up at work, but you don't need to feel bad about diverting your mental effort elsewhere.

That's more or less what I thought. Honestly, I think this is the best option for everyone involved - I'm not gonna kill myself for this job or go insane over it. I'm just gonna move on.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I think this hits the nail on the head. While it's not 'good' as something to be aimed for, it's far better than wasting time on SA or Reddit.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Everyone starts to check out towards the end, but you should be doing good enough work to make sure your references will be good after you leave. That can come back to haunt you.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The proportion of acceptable/moral/undetectable goldbricking drops dramatically after posting "SHOULD I DO IT" over a company-owned network connection FYI

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do people actually accept LinkedIn invitations from recruiters? I used to get a lot of connect invites and requests to talk about opportunities, but I was always taught to avoid them. Not getting a whole lot of bites on AngelList recently, so I'm wondering if I should take them up on their potential offers instead.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Recruiters are 100% garbage.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Recruiters are 100% garbage.

Networking and AngelList/Hired is the go-to for new jobs, then? I've had meh experiences with recruiters, but they certainly seem convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pollyanna posted:

Do people actually accept LinkedIn invitations from recruiters? I used to get a lot of connect invites and requests to talk about opportunities, but I was always taught to avoid them. Not getting a whole lot of bites on AngelList recently, so I'm wondering if I should take them up on their potential offers instead.

They'll probably get you a phone call with whoever they're targeting. Kind of a last resort thing if you're desperate though.

You can reply without connecting fwiw.