Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Over time, some of the pieces got stronger but the whole never managed to coalesce. It still feels like an overlong, half-baked dark party playlist. From now on I'm listening to it in edited playlist form - I still really dig Submission and Momentz really grew on me, so I'm not throwing the whole thing away, but I'm done trying to make it work. Plastic Beach was growing on me at this point after its release, and nothing I don't already like is clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like Humanz a lot more than Plastic Beach. That one just never did click with me. It's got some good tracks, but I barely even remember their names

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I like that song! Hope everyone else going to Demon Dayz has a great time today!

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Watching the Demon Dayz live stream, and Shaun Ryder is still a mess. Wouldn't have it any other way I guess.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

no broccoli please posted:

Watching the Demon Dayz live stream, and Shaun Ryder is still a mess. Wouldn't have it any other way I guess.

I'm watching it right now and they're knocking Clint Eastwood out of the loving park.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Set was great. Little Sims was insane. I was not expecting Ryder to be back ever again so that was a surprise.

Shoutout to the two women pretending they'd lost their son to push into the crowd, then punch a guy when he overheard them laughing about the lie :barf:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Just missed the stream but it looks like it's being replayed here maybe?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Man, it's amazing how the mood immediately changes once Dirty Harry kicks off, and it stays right on up there.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
HOLY gently caress THAT WAS AMAZING! I was just about 3 rows back from the centre front row and everyone went loving MENTAL when Damon and the band kicked off! He even went right up to the crowd twice and then Jenny crowd-surfed a bit (even though I don't think that's allowed anymore).

It was great to hear Tomorrow Comes Today live again, though I wish they'd play M1A1 too. I was VERY surprised they played Out of Body live, that's one of my fav songs on the album and it was funky and all. When they went and played Dare and Momentz, the whole crowd was jumping like crazy, especially when Bootie Brown showed up out of nowhere for Dirty Harry!

I'm a little bit annoyed they played Sex Murder Party although I guess they made it slightly better live, still doesn't save it from being their worst song, also I bet they'd play Hallelujah Money but surprisingly they didn't.

Bit disappointed they didn't bring back Del for Clint Eastwood again, but they made up for it with most of the setlist.
-
As for the other acts, I was a bit late to see De La Soul's act but they knew how to work the crowd and played some good tracks, loved them for it.

Kilo Kish was the first act I saw that day and umm...well I guess Damon's daughter probably liked it, I guess it's hard to explain her 'act' because it was half singing and half performance art, and if that IS her gimmick then okay but still...eh.

I will not understand why Kano for some reason gets a headline act, this does not make sense to me. The other headliners obviously did more collabs with Gorillaz but Kano did ONE SONG, White Flag (with Bashy), and that's it...and he didn't even play that again live. How he's still touring with Damon and the crew is just baffling.

Oh and The Shapeshifters were jamming in the roller disco, didn't expect that but drat it was cool.
-
I don't think Damon and Jamie will ever do another festival like this again, I loved it and I'm missing it already...I might go back to Dreamland for the arcade though.

Dugong posted:

Shoutout to the two women pretending they'd lost their son to push into the crowd, then punch a guy when he overheard them laughing about the lie :barf:

Wait really? Were they trying to get into the front row?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 12, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Junior Jr. posted:

HOLY gently caress THAT WAS AMAZING!
Yeah it looked pretty great on the stream. Kicking myself for not getting tickets when I had the chance. I have the December show to look forward to but I can't see them doing any shows topping that.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Junior Jr. posted:

HOLY gently caress THAT WAS AMAZING! I was just about 3 rows back from the centre front row and everyone went loving MENTAL when Damon and the band kicked off! He even went right up to the crowd twice and then Jenny crowd-surfed a bit (even though I don't think that's allowed anymore).

It was great to hear Tomorrow Comes Today live again, though I wish they'd play M1A1 too. I was VERY surprised they played Out of Body live, that's one of my fav songs on the album and it was funky and all. When they went and played Dare and Momentz, the whole crowd was jumping like crazy, especially when Bootie Brown showed up out of nowhere for Dirty Harry!

I'm a little bit annoyed they played Sex Murder Party although I guess they made it slightly better live, still doesn't save it from being their worst song, also I bet they'd play Hallelujah Money but surprisingly they didn't.

Bit disappointed they didn't bring back Del for Clint Eastwood again, but they made up for it with most of the setlist.
-
As for the other acts, I was a bit late to see De La Soul's act but they knew how to work the crowd and played some good tracks, loved them for it.

Kilo Kish was the first act I saw that day and umm...well I guess Damon's daughter probably liked it, I guess it's hard to explain her 'act' because it was half singing and half performance art, and if that IS her gimmick then okay but still...eh.

I will not understand why Kano for some reason gets a headline act, this does not make sense to me. The other headliners obviously did more collabs with Gorillaz but Kano did [b]ONE SONG[/b[, White Flag (with Bashy), and that's it...and he didn't even play that again live. How he's still touring with Damon and the crew is just baffling.

Oh and The Shapeshifters were jamming in the roller disco, didn't expect that but drat it was cool.
-
I don't think Damon and Jamie will ever do another festival like this again, I loved it and I'm missing it already...I might go back to Dreamland for the arcade though.

Wait really? Were they trying to get into the front row?

My group was in the very middle roughly equal distance between the stage and the mixdesk. I had done near front at Printworks and my friends were suffering from sunburn so we didn't get to the main stage until midway through Kano and didn't want to push forwards. The women stopped moving forwards just after us. Very weird.

If I had drank more I could have happily spent most the day in the roller disco. That was very cool. The setup in the Sea stage seemed sadly a big poo poo though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dugong posted:

My group was in the very middle roughly equal distance between the stage and the mixdesk. I had done near front at Printworks and my friends were suffering from sunburn so we didn't get to the main stage until midway through Kano and didn't want to push forwards. The women stopped moving forwards just after us. Very weird.

If I had drank more I could have happily spent most the day in the roller disco. That was very cool. The setup in the Sea stage seemed sadly a big poo poo though.

I was probably near the very back (we never got further forward than the merch tent/mixdesk), and it was still an utterly amazing show. So glad I went, and glad that was my first live performance.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was probably near the very back (we never got further forward than the merch tent/mixdesk), and it was still an utterly amazing show. So glad I went, and glad that was my first live performance.

The trick I learned is to secure your spot before or during the other headliners so you don't have to stay in the far back (hence why I didn't care about Kano's gig), it also helps if some folks are nice enough to let you get closer to the band...unlike some women apparently.

Also I got a priority ticket and bought my merch the first few minutes into the festival, because 30 minutes later there was ALREADY a queue for it, I don't think they even saw the other merch stands.

Apparently Jamie was on the mixdesk for the whole gig but I think he already left after Damon was done, ah well.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah they put on a hell of a show and all the guests were putting their hearts into each song.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
From the livestream, yeah it was an awesome show. I'd like to catch it again if anyone finds a good upload on YouTube!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I missed it and would love to know if there's an archive too

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Die Sexmonster! posted:

From the livestream, yeah it was an awesome show. I'd like to catch it again if anyone finds a good upload on YouTube!

I know some people had their phones out for the gig and they already did just that a couple days ago. But the bigger cameras for the livestream were there too, so I don't know why that footage wasn't available days after.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok I found a place where you can watch the footage. For :filez: reasons I won't link it but it's easy to find, just look on the Gorillaz subreddit in the last couple days, in threads where people are asking where they can watch a recording of the stream.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 13, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Hedrigall posted:

Ok I found a place where you can watch the footage. For :filez: reasons I won't link it but it's easy to find, just look on the Gorillaz subreddit in the last couple days, in threads where people are asking where they can watch a recording of the stream.

It's deleted now, the only links that are still up are the Little Simz and Danny Brown gigs. It's a shame really, Red Bull obviously had the cleanest footage too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't see why Red Bull wouldn't just leave it on YouTube. Unless they plan to sell it?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idk but the link I found is definitely still working (and HD)

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Apparently, from a youtube video that recorded the intro to the gig, the whole Gorillaz act had a couple of extra tracks that were yet to be released (i.e. the super deluxe vinyl box set) so it turned out one or two videos from Demon Dayz got a strike for playing said songs.

Don't know what that means for the Red Bull footage though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Junior Jr. posted:

Apparently, from a youtube video that recorded the intro to the gig, the whole Gorillaz act had a couple of extra tracks that were yet to be released (i.e. the super deluxe vinyl box set) so it turned out one or two videos from Demon Dayz got a strike for playing said songs.

Don't know what that means for the Red Bull footage though.

Yeah, there were definitely one or two new tracks (I know Garage Palace was new, at least it was the first time I heard it).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 14, 2017

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Oh man, anybody else catch the Chicago show last night?

First time seeing them live despite being a fan for 12 years... Worth the wait, hot drat! Tons of featured guests including Del (!) for Clint Eastwood.

Strobelite was a surprising high point because Pevin Everett was loving killing it on vocals and the crowd was eating it up (he also crushed it coming back for Stylo). Sex Murder Party was also great live, but I don't hate the album cut as some seem to so I guess that helps.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Deltron 3030 posted:

First time seeing them live despite being a fan for 12 years... Worth the wait, hot drat! Tons of featured guests including Del (!) for Clint Eastwood.

Strobelite was a surprising high point because Pevin Everett was loving killing it on vocals and the crowd was eating it up (he also crushed it coming back for Stylo). Sex Murder Party was also great live, but I don't hate the album cut as some seem to so I guess that helps.

Strobelight was fuckin LIT. Out of Body was also pretty intense and I marked out completely for Del.

It was the first show of the tour so there were some technical glitches and I couldn't tell if Damon was drunk or just really pumped but his enthusiasm was pretty fun. I liked that new song the opening act was on, what was her name? Lil Simz? Her version of We Got the Power was way better than the album cut even though they were having guitar trouble. Anyways, great show and also gently caress getting into and out of Chicago!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Lil Simz song is Garage Palace I think and I hope it releases soon because it's great.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I was practically upfront for the Chicago show. I was too busy dancing and having a good time to care about pictures, but here's some of my better lovely iPhone camera snaps.

Out of Body was a banger and I felt more like I was at Bonnaroo way more than in Chicago at that point. Also Chicago people couldn't take the heat. Was a nice balmy spring for me in the pit!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 11, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Deltron 3030 posted:

oh poo poo, did Everett do the Womack parts???

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Out of Body is probably my favorite song in a very long rear end time. It’s just awesome.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, I'm in the Boston venue right now.

It's like the second Great Flood out here, so glad they have the tent up.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So apparently that was the first time they played Revolving Doors live, EVER.

And holy gently caress that opening with M1A1 was great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool! I found a video of it already:

https://youtu.be/8FnyAZBuSvg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also Damon was the biggest loving troll in between song sets, I.E. alluding to performing Song 2 (including someone in the band even playing the first few notes of it) before going for another song entirely.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Just got back from Philly's outdoor show, had a great time despite the 90 minute rain delay and getting soaking wet and the shortened set. If you have a chance to see these guys, do it - very fun show!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Finally, here's the full coverage of the Demon Dayz gig from Margate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuEC_GD6iT0

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Strobelite video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAXjiVuzlPw

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

On one hand it's kinda fun watching 2D and Noodle dance but on the other hand it feels like a very ordinary music video apart from the appearance from the band. Not their most impressive video. Still, there are worse songs on Humanz to make a video for.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

There's definitely something going on outside of the dancing. Murdoc's clearly up to something. Maybe there's a story video coming at some point down the line?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed that but drat I wish they'd come out with a video as good or visually cool as El Mañana or On Melancholy Hill one of these days. So far Hallelujah Money is by far the best from Humanz and that's just Benjamin Clementine looking terrifying for 5 minutes.

I think Andromeda is ripe for a really good video but I'm guessing having technically 'released' it already means its unlikely.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Steve2911 posted:

I enjoyed that but drat I wish they'd come out with a video as good or visually cool as El Mañana or On Melancholy Hill one of these days. So far Hallelujah Money is by far the best from Humanz and that's just Benjamin Clementine looking terrifying for 5 minutes.

I think Andromeda is ripe for a really good video but I'm guessing having technically 'released' it already means its unlikely.

Simply put: The economics of producing music videos imploded. It's just not a thing outside of super budget conscious projects (Ok Go's Here it Goes Again, Wheezer's Pork and Beans, etc) or heavily branded product placement videos which have themselves collapsed.

They already ran out of money for the story and videos in Plastic Beach, and since then the amount of money studios might be willing to put into music videos has gone down even more. So starting out they probably just have so much less to work with. The video for Saturnz Barz is the most "fleshed out" one yet, and even that had some heavy, heavy cost saving animation tricks. So the probably front loaded it to make the release material as good as they could, and now have to meter out what's left with these really low grade 3d models.

It is sad because the previous phase's videos were great and the art style seemed a lot tighter too.