Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Kinect is a vital part of the Xbox One experience It's dead, the Xbox One S and Xbox One X don't even have the Kinect ports and need a special USB adapter.

I believe they also removed much of the support for it in the UI (including possibly voice commands?) to squeeze more power out of the console in more recent UI overhauls.

If I'm not mistaken the last two non-Just Dance games released that I think even used it were Fantasia Music Evolved (October 2014) and Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 (March 2015). And it's no longer required for newer Just Dance games as of 2016, as those let you pair a smartphone for waggle.

The NBA games even have a face scanner (be in the game!) that used to use Kinect but more recent entries only let you do it via smartphone. I'm not even sure if they'll technical foul you if they overhear you swearing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Well, it was kind of silly not to be able to be black in the NBA.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

I believe they also removed much of the support for it in the UI (including possibly voice commands?) to squeeze more power out of the console in more recent UI overhauls.

Voice commands are still in, but they aren't Kinect only anymore. Any microphone connected to the console should work for everything except turning the Xbox on.

The voice command stuff is the only Kinect stuff that has ever worked consistently so it's good that it can be used by more folks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Officially, the most expensive rock band peripheral.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It looks like the game bundles that come with XBone Ses now are all playable on Windows as well?

I might actually be in the market for an Xbone S given that
  • I want an Xbone controller for PC to replace my beat up old wired 360 controller
  • I want to play the bundled games (on PC)
  • I've got some BC 360 games I still play once in a while
  • I want to play a 4K blu-ray

Is there some cheaper way to do this stuff than just getting an Xbone? Ha.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It looks like the game bundles that come with XBone Ses now are all playable on Windows as well?

I might actually be in the market for an Xbone S given that
  • I want an Xbone controller for PC to replace my beat up old wired 360 controller
  • I want to play the bundled games (on PC)
  • I've got some BC 360 games I still play once in a while
  • I want to play a 4K blu-ray

If the bundled games are digital (I think with Xbox they always are?) and "Play Anywhere", then yes they'll be playable on PC. That said I'm not sure there are any current bundles that offer Play Anywhere games, maybe a Forza or Gears bundle? The bundles with Minecraft, Battlefield, and EA Sports games would NOT be PC compatible, nor would the games work if they're in physical format, those are strictly Xbox One only.

For the BC 360 games (if you've confirmed their BC) and 4K Blu-ray playback, yeah the Xbox One S is the cheapest 4K UHD Player (unless Sony announces something tonight but I seriously doubt that), but bear in mind 4K UHD discs are generally stupidly expensive for what you're getting and largely pointless unless you have a proper 4K HDR10 set. Oh, that reminds me, Dolby Vision is starting to show up and no Xbox including the Xbox One X is capable of it, so you'd need a dedicated 4K player for that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

univbee posted:

If the bundled games are digital (I think with Xbox they always are?) and "Play Anywhere", then yes they'll be playable on PC. That said I'm not sure there are any current bundles that offer Play Anywhere games, maybe a Forza or Gears bundle?

For the BC 360 games (if you've confirmed their PC) and 4K Blu-ray playback, yeah the Xbox One S is the cheapest 4K UHD Player (unless Sony announces something tonight but I seriously doubt that), but bear in mind 4K UHD discs are generally stupidly expensive for what you're getting and largely pointless unless you have a proper 4K HDR10 set. Oh, that reminds me, Dolby Vision is starting to show up and no Xbox including the Xbox One X is capable of it, so you'd need a dedicated 4K player for that.

I haven't really been watching price, but I've got a proper HDR10/Dolby Vision TV. It looks like Forza, Gears, and Halo Wars 2 are all "Play Anywhere", all of which I'd like to play because I have bad taste in games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I haven't really been watching price, but I've got a proper HDR10/Dolby Vision TV. It looks like Forza, Gears, and Halo Wars 2 are all "Play Anywhere", all of which I'd like to play because I have bad taste in games.

You would get HDR10 but no Dolby Vision, and I believe this is straight-up something that's not possible to patch in (like the HDMI out isn't right for it kind-of thing). Only 2 titles support Dolby Vision right now (Despicable Me 1 and 2) but it's probably going to be the standard on most UHD discs before long, just FYI, I THINK most of the dedicated players made recently support it, and if you legit have DV you should really get something that'll let you actually show that off. The games you listed are in fact Play-Anywhere-As-Long-As-It's-Windows-10, so if the bundles give you download codes then enjoy!

For UHD disc prices, they basically don't really go below $20USD much while the Blu-ray equivalents can usually be had for like a fiver.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twerk from Home posted:

I want to play a 4K blu-ray

No, the Xbone S is basically the cheapest 4k Blu Ray player on the market - just like the PS2 was basically the cheapest DVD player in its launch period. There's a limited release Samsung 4k Blu-Ray player that's like $10 more than the normal S price for another option, I guess.

Everything else you mention just makes the price look even better if you're in the market for the UHD Blu-Rays

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

The NBA games even have a face scanner (be in the game!) that used to use Kinect but more recent entries only let you do it via smartphone. I'm not even sure if they'll technical foul you if they overhear you swearing anymore.

So, how many buttfaces are there on average in any given match?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Finally got around to watching the E3 stream and noticed the Cuphead copyright date as "1930", which I thought was amusing.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Can someone please, using only facts and no hyperbolic comedy tricks, give me the most optimistic but actually possible take on why it would be beneficial to buy the XboneX?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Here's a link to LG's Dolby Vision-capable UHD Player, on sale for $249. Of course, lol it has no games lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-up970-4k-ultra-hd-3d-wi-fi-built-in-blu-ray-player-black/5733516.p?skuId=5733516

ultrachrist posted:

Can someone please, using only facts and no hyperbolic comedy tricks, give me the most optimistic but actually possible take on why it would be beneficial to buy the XboneX?

I can take a shot at answering this but need to know:

- Do you have an Xbox One?
- Do you have an Xbox One S?
- Do you have a PS4?
- Do you have a PS4 Pro? If not, is getting a PS4 Pro instead of an Xbox One X an acceptable consideration?
- Do you have a gaming-capable PC (and what are its specs if so? CPU/RAM/GPU)?

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 12, 2017

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have an xbox one, a ps4, and a passable PC typically used for blizzard and indie steam games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Do you own a 4K television?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

I have an xbox one, a ps4, and a passable PC typically used for blizzard and indie steam games.

OK, essentially an Xbox One X will give you access to 4K UHD discs and HDR10 (I'm assuming your Xbox One is an original model?), and new games (some old ones but not many) will run at resolutions above what they run at now, which if you have a 4K TV is supposed to be very pretty.

If UHD discs don't interest you and your PC is a Windows 10 desktop PC which will accept a graphics card, for less than the $499 asking price of the Xbox One X you can get a Geforce 1080 card, which will run circles around the Xbox One X and should get you to the mystical 4K60 in basically all PC games allowing for it with minimal settings tweaking if any.

So you have to decide if $499 is worth it for continuing to play games on Xbox One with very good but not high-end-PC-good graphics and getting UHD playback support.

You also have to decide if that makes more sense than paying Sony $399 (assuming no price drop) for a PS4 Pro which still runs many games at native 4K and most not much below that resolution, along with the huge library of PS4 exclusives which are also enhanced and benefit from the PS4 Pro.

In all honesty probably the "smart" move right now if you're mulling over which of the approaches you're taking (Bonx upgrade, PS4Pro upgrade, PC upgrade, "gently caress it" and upgrade nothing) is to wait for Digital Foundry to get its hands on a final xBonx unit and patched games to do a 5-way comparison so we can objectively see exactly where every version of games you're interested in land.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 12, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

This is the full list of upcoming Xbox One console exclusives (Defined as: games that are only available on the Xbox One and PC):

Air Missions: HIND (6/14/17) §†
Cuphead (9/29/17) §
Forza Motorsport 7 (10/3/17)
Crackdown 3 (11/7/17)
The Adventure Pals (2017)
Anamorphine (2017) §
The Artful Escape of Francis Vendetti (2017) §
Ashen (2017)
Beacon (2017)
Beat the Game (2017) §
Book of Demons (2017) §†
Crash Force (2017) §†
Deadbeat Heroes (2017)
Full Metal Furies (2017) §
Glitchrunners (2017) §†
Graveyard Keeper (2017) §
The Last Night (2017) §†
Monster Buster: Agency (2017) §
Ooblets (2017) §
Outward - The Adventurer Life Sim (2017)
Phantasmal: City of Darkness (2017) §†
Reservoir Dogs: Bloody Days (2017) §†
Sombrero (2017) §†
Swordy (2017) §†
Aftercharge (2018) §
The Darwin Project (2018)
Deep Rock Galactic (2018) §
Starpoint Gemini: Warlords (2018) §†
Astroneer (Early Access) §†
The Culling (Early Access) §†
Gigantic (Early Access)
Pit People (Early Access) §†
AE Lucky Fishing (TBA)
Calibre 10 Racing Series (TBA) §†
Chuck's Challenge 3D (TBA) §†
Elementales (TBA)
ENKI (TBA) §†
Gemini - A Tale of Two Stars (TBA)
Happy Dou Dizhu (TBA)
Happy Mahjong (TBA)
I'm MT 2 (TBA)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (TBA)
The Toilet Chronicles (TBA)

---

§ Denotes games that already have a Steam page
† Denotes games that have already been released on Steam.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have a 4k TV, yeah. I'd be more likely to upgrade a console than my pc simply because my wife also uses the consoles and they're in a more social/comfortable space.

I'm in no rush, so waiting is definitely good advice. My issue is that this sort of mid-gen console upgrade, which may become the norm I guess, is incredibly opaque. Is it like upgrading your PC with all the performance benefits that entails? Or is it more like watching a pretty display on a curved TV at Best Buy that's using specific video techniques that you're never going to see in your real life?

"Wait and see" is the obvious approach but I was wondering if any news from E3 or w/e indicated devs will actually design on a spectrum to take advantage of the better specs.

Of course I am more likely to get the ps4 pro anyway unless the X is really clearly performing better.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

Of course I am more likely to get the ps4 pro anyway unless the X is really clearly performing better.

They will supposedly have a live feed of rear end Creed Origins running on an Xbox One X in like an hour-ish, I'm hoping Digital Foundry will do a comparison with AC Syndicate on PS4 Pro, which will probably be the closest comparison we'll have for a while.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Thread, show me either an Xbox One S or a regular Xbox One with 1TB storage for as close as you can to 200$

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bogart posted:

Thread, show me either an Xbox One S or a regular Xbox One with 1TB storage for as close as you can to 200$

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-1tb-console-black/128056

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

univbee posted:

If the bundled games are digital (I think with Xbox they always are?) and "Play Anywhere", then yes they'll be playable on PC. That said I'm not sure there are any current bundles that offer Play Anywhere games, maybe a Forza or Gears bundle? The bundles with Minecraft, Battlefield, and EA Sports games would NOT be PC compatible, nor would the games work if they're in physical format, those are strictly Xbox One only.

Actually the Minecraft bundle I got included seperate key cards for both the Bone and Windows 10 for Minecraft

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Actually the Minecraft bundle I got included seperate key cards for both the Bone and Windows 10 for Minecraft

Oh funky, that's cool.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
So I start at Microsoft 2 weeks from today doing Business Sales out of the Microsoft Store. I don't currently have an Xbox, I sold my One after not touching it for a year, so I'm excited to take part in a product launch for the first time and I may even get this one.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

ultrachrist posted:

Because its now guaranteed by an MS spokesman not to support VR.

Because I hate VR.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

500 is a good price...to not sell xbox 1x at

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ultrachrist posted:

to win a bet

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Instant Sunrise posted:

Happy Mahjong (TBA)

The borpio has been saved.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Toilet Chronicles (TBA)

This is actually a documentary about the history of the Xbox One so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

This is actually a documentary about the history of the Xbox One so far.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I've gone ahead and updated the OP to include the list of upcoming games that are exclusive to the Xbox One hardware, and to clarify the upcoming games list.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No age of empires remastered? Or is that pc only?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

No age of empires remastered? Or is that pc only?

Just PC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been out of the Xbox ecosystem for this entire gen,in fact I haven't touched an Xbone until today, but I had an extra PS4 and figured it would be more fun to trade for and Xbox than just sell it.

Just have a few questions:

1. Does Xbox have something like PS4 sleep mode where you can pick up where you left off and download stuff, even with the system partially off? I see 2 options for energy saver and some other one, but all of the text is about cortana and cable and other bullshit I don't care about. I only see an option to turn the system off, not sleep.

2. Not a question but I am very happy with how much of my 360 collection is BC. Bunch of great stuff on there, but...

3. Why is there a bunch of stuff on my list of owned games that I never bought? I think my Gold membership lapsed maybe a month after PS4 came out and that was very shortly after they started the free monthly games. I have Master Chief collection, Watch_Dogs, Some Assassins Creed games, Dead Rising, Gears...then a handful of stuff I've never even heard of and more. And it appears I own them outright, except gears which is some sort of "play now buy later" thing. I'm not complaining, but it doesn't make any sense. All in all theres probably 15 games I never bought in my on demand list. The system was wiped and I used my old login, so it wouldn't be related to the previous owner I don't think? Did MS just give some poo poo out for free while I wasn't using my account? The whole thing is really weird. Hope I didn't get hacked at some point.

4. Any exclusives I may have missed that aren't super obvious would be welcome recommendations as I've been totally out of the loop.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 19, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

veni veni veni posted:

4. Any exclusives I may have missed that aren't super obvious would be welcome recommendations as I've been totally out of the loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kinect_games_for_Xbox_One

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I've been out of the Xbox ecosystem for this entire gen,in fact I haven't touched an Xbone until today, but I had an extra PS4 and figured it would be more fun to trade for and Xbox than just sell it.

Just have a few questions:

1. Does Xbox have something like PS4 sleep mode where you can pick up where you left off and download stuff, even with the system partially off? I see 2 options for energy saver and some other one, but all of the text is about cortana and cable and other bullshit I don't care about. I only see an option to turn the system off, not sleep.

yes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

so...how does it work? If I turn the system off is it still connected to the internet or do I need to do something special?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its does a check while in instant-on mode for updates and other background tasks.

you turn it 'off' in instant on mode, and it goes to a low power state, saves your game state as it was, and boots up faster. will also download game updates in the background. system updates wont occur though.

in full off mode it consumes no power and takes about 2min to fully boot up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you put it in the quick start mode it will stay on when you turn it off and download things. This mode does have some drawbacks where some things might go haywire after a while and you have to do a full shutdown and then turn it back on. I've also had it happen a couple times where it didn't want to download any games and would constantly pop up saying "installation stopped." I ended up having to delete all my saves and redownload them from the cloud. That was a bit weird and I don't know why that was the solution.