Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

lelandjs posted:

rear end Creed: Egypt edition has cats apparently, so we can forgive the loothox poo poo right?

It reacts to you as well, just like a real cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's a pretty creative approach since before an hour ago absolutely nobody on earth was expecting Mario X-Com.

The thing is that Mario X-Com? Cool idea. I'm into that. There's just not really a reason they couldn't have kept it more in line with the things Mario does instead of just slapping a laser cannon on his arm and calling it a day. That's what's uncreative, I think--"it's Mario but he has a laser gun" is less interesting to me than finding a way to take classic Mario abilities like shells, hammers, jumping, etc. and working that into Mario X-Com.

Super Mario RPG back on the SNES faced a similar decision--does Mario use a sword, shield, and magic, or does Mario use classic Mario things like jumping, shells, and hammers?--and there was actually a pretty heated debate between Nintendo and Square on it before they finally settled on sticking to classic Mario stuff, and I think we got a more interesting, more unique RPG as a result.

It still looks fun, though, and definitely distinct, gameplay-wise, from X-Com. I just think sticking closer to classic Mario stuff might have led them in other interesting directions, too.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

lelandjs posted:

rear end Creed: Egypt edition has cats apparently, so we can forgive the loothox poo poo right?

You can't pet the cat, and the cat doesn't bite you. No, we can't forgive anything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

X-Com 2 was creative in that it made some goon really mad because you 'lost' in X-Com 1.

lol, i haven't played 2 but that sounded like the neatest part about them doing a sequel

did it actually pan out to be interesting?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Random/Levelled weapons suck. Make different weapons that aren't just small differences in numbered stats.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

Laura Kate's saying it and her sources are usually pretty drat accurate. I don't see why it can't be true though?

Didn't she get literally every one of her Switch launch predictions wrong?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Gorgolflox posted:

PET THE loving CAT

Sorry it's AC so you can only collect loot and stab people. Now, if you could pet animals and say hello to people RDR style, I actually might have been interested. Socializing with NPCs does wonders and I can't believe more games don't do that.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They also had Horse armor and some other jokes in there.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

yes, she did. but at least now she has something to gloat about instead of being known as the "mario x rabbids leaker"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

Random/Levelled weapons suck. Make different weapons that aren't just small differences in numbered stats.

They apparently have eight melee weapon types, which is a pretty nice variety. I just don't see why they need leveled variants with random stats. Just give me the eight weapons and I'm happy, I don't need to find 100 different spears with random attack power.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/874361924044980225

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

They also had Horse armor and some other jokes in there.

"We get that you hate paid mods but look we're only doing it ironically!"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ancel breaks down the BGE2 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwUJ468u14

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

lol, i haven't played 2 but that sounded like the neatest part about them doing a sequel

It was really just an excuse to have the sequel take place on Earth and starring the same "Commander" you played in the first rebooted XCOM. But I thought it was a neat little twist, that XCOM was actually a simulation you were being forced to run through by the aliens so they could study human combat tactics, and they conquered Earth as a result. In XCOM 2, you're playing more like a resistance role, so everywhere you go, the aliens are already established and have security systems and stuff set up. I liked it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It finally happened. 800 Dollars for an AssCreed game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
bge2 was the only thing that looked good from the ubi conference, but it was just a cgi trailer

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Assassins Creed has had skill points, levelled equipment and levelled enemies for the last 2 games.

Only the random equipment is new.

Do I like those things? Not really. I especially dislike the levelled enemies as a lazy way of keeping the game world "open" but skill blocking it off.

...but more 'Sassy Creed? I'm down.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Not gonna lie, the main musical theme for Beyond Good and Evil is fabulous and hearing it again at the end of that trailer made me have various feelings. Very much looking forward to whatever BGaE2 turns out to be.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guy Goodbody posted:

No?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's a pretty creative approach since before an hour ago absolutely nobody on earth was expecting Mario X-Com.

I mean it was leaked a few weeks ago but I get your point.

I just mean that like, the gameplay in the preview looks pretty basic and mostly the same as x-com, a game I have already played, and I'd be more into it if they'd mixed it up a bit more. What happens if you add fire flowers and boomerangs to x-com's gameplay, or put the whole battle on a bunch of floating platforms? Is there a way of taking the mario approach to level design, where every world has a new core mechanic, and mix that into the gameplay? What about fighting a boo? I think there's a lot of interesting mechanics you could introduce into a game like this and instead it just looks like a reskin of x-com, and I think that's a shame.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Snuffman posted:

Assassins Creed has had skill points, levelled equipment and levelled enemies for the last 2 games.

Do I like those things? Not really. I especially dislike the levelled enemies as a lazy way of keeping the game world "open" but skill blocking it off.

You have a problem, but we're here for you. It'll be hard, but you can drop AssCreed from your life.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I knew literally nothing about Beyond Good and Evil so all throughout that trailer all I could think was "gently caress is this poo poo?"

After the title was revealed I realized that the game everyone has been waiting for is Mass Effect with even more furry poo poo and then I laughed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

didn't she tho?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Missed Ubisoft, did they announce the Vivendi takeover mid conference?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/874382650794004480

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

Fairly well. It wasn't mind-blowingly different and they didn't get suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper deep into it, but it worked well enough to move the narrative along.

Bugs kinda took you out of the expereince on the regular, though, but that was launch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snuffman posted:

My argument is, well, the leveled equipment and leveled enemies in the past two games were not a good inclusion, and what they're doing in this is leaning into those, to the point of having a much higher level cap (and therefore room for having much bigger level differentials between the player and enemies).

Syndicate was a pretty decent AssCreed game, all told, but I don't think the leveling, skill trees, and equipment added anything to it at all. They were just distractions from the actual fun parts. I fully expect Origins to be the same, only those distractions are even bigger and more important to pay attention to.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dias posted:

You have a problem, but we're here for you. It'll be hard, but you can drop AssCreed from your life.

I'd probably need a full blown intervention at this point.

Its me, I'm the problem. I'm the guy that buys all the Assassin Creed games.

:smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lelandjs posted:

I knew literally nothing about Beyond Good and Evil so all throughout that trailer all I could think was "gently caress is this poo poo?"

After the title was revealed I realized that the game everyone has been waiting for is Mass Effect with even more furry poo poo and then I laughed

Beyond Good & Evil is nothing like Mass Effect, though (and, to be fair, this trailer was kind of a tonal shift away from Beyond Good & Evil)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the assassin's creed origins boss battle is incredibly baD

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Guy Goodbody posted:

didn't she tho?

The Switch made idiots out of a lot of people.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/874356562126622721

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Policenaut posted:

The Switch made idiots out of a lot of people.

Someone was leaking out some bad information around launch, huh.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lelandjs posted:

pigs dont have fur

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm sad about how samey AC Origins looks. I thought they were taking a year off to make it better. I've played all the AC games to completion (besides that one that was only on past-gen/PC) and only really disliked AC3, Revelations and Unity before it was heavily patched, but I have zero interest in Origins beyond the setting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm sad about how samey AC Origins looks. I thought they were taking a year off to make it better. I've played all the AC games to completion (besides that one that was only on past-gen/PC) and only really disliked AC3 and Unity before it was heavily patched, but I have zero interest in Origins beyond the setting.

Dude, even the games Ubisoft builds from scratch over a long development cycle are still the same poo poo, identical Ubisoft games. They simply do not know how to make anything different or better.

Except Michel Ancel.

e: Ok the official site confirms it's optional co-op jump-in/out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm sad about how samey AC Origins looks. I thought they were taking a year off to make it better. I've played all the AC games to completion (besides that one that was only on past-gen/PC) and only really disliked AC3, Revelations and Unity before it was heavily patched, but I have zero interest in Origins beyond the setting.

Yeah, the second that trailer came out and I saw the five billion icons on the compass I let out a heavy sigh.

I don't know why I expect anything different.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

lelandjs posted:

BG&E is a 3d action/stealth/platforming game where you break into places and take photos to undermine a space alien regime occupying your weird french animal people cartoon planet, it's fun. I don't think you ever fly a spaceship, but you do race a hovercraft.

There's a video of Michel talking about the trailer and he says that the monkey's jetpack and grapple hand are game mechanics, which suggests that it's going to have the platforming stuff the original game had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TBH the BG&E2 trailer is not that big of a tonal shift from BG&E 1, that game pretty much turns into space opera in the second half and if it was a sequel rather than a prequel that's pretty much how I was expecting it to look anyway. Like the whole premise of the first game is the government has been secretly infiltrated by and is collaborating with the aliens and is kind of standing in the way of space travel, the next game was pretty clearly gonna take place in space anyway. Also Peyj and Jade come from a different planet to begin with.

Red Bones posted:

BG&E is a 3d action/stealth/platforming game where you break into places and take photos to undermine a space alien regime occupying your weird french animal people cartoon planet, it's fun. I don't think you ever fly a spaceship, but you do race a hovercraft.
Nah you totally turn your hovercraft into a spaceship at the end and fly to the moon.

• Locked thread