Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Are you loving goons seriously discussing sous videing a loving pizza?

I doubt anyone wants to do it, but nothing wrong with a theoretical discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

what's that? GWS is taking a stupid joke too far? well i never

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I have sous vide'd fast food leftovers before when I had a long cook going at the same time. I can vouch that the heat was much better distributed than the microwave usually does. I don't think I'd bother though if it wasn't already cooking something at a reasonable temp.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just wanted to say that while I've found this thread informative and it has tempted me to buy a sous vide gadget, AND I have laughed at how goddamn retarded the last page + was...

... mostly I giggle at the sous vide things because they all look like sex toys of some kind and every time I go to buy one or look at them seriously I'm like "poo poo this is gonna be on my Amazon history" and the next time I go look at stuff at work someone will walk by and be like "the gently caress is THAT?" and I'll have to explain "No it's just a wand..that you..stuff..into water and it heats up and stuff".

So thank you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

These haters can't understand the virtue of a frozen pizza cooked to the point of being perfectly rare, through and through, then quickly seared in a hot pan.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Boiling bread before baking is already a thing (e.g. bagels), so it might actually work to sous vide your dough before finishing in the oven.

Not gonna be the one to try it, though.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ekeog posted:

These haters can't understand the virtue of a frozen pizza cooked to the point of being perfectly rare, through and through, then quickly seared in a hot pan.

If you eat you're piiza well done then just lol

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Are you loving goons seriously discussing sous videing a loving pizza?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In the next day or so if anyone's interested I can pull out my On Food and Cooking and do a seriouspost about the viability (or lack thereof) of sous vide pizza.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We're making pizza tonight and I'm going to "super-proof" a small ball of dough to like 180 then put it on the pizza steel, just to see what it's like.

I'm 100% convinced it will suck, because overproofing sucks, but whatever it's a tiny ball of dough and it might piss someone off.

E: okay, holy poo poo this is actually a thing.

It's hard to describe. First image was after ~20 min at 180°F. Looked and felt like a chicken-and-dumpling dumpling.

4 minutes on the tippy-top rack, on a pizza steel preheated at 500°F for more than an hour (was baking bread and pizza all evening). Flip and press flat halfway.

It's delightfully chewy in the center and crispy on the outside. If you've ever had steaming fresh pita, this is like that but even better.

Next time I do a pizza, I'm doing a small one this way.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 11, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazySalamander posted:

In the next day or so if anyone's interested I can pull out my On Food and Cooking and do a seriouspost about the viability (or lack thereof) of sous vide pizza.

Completely viable.

https://anovaculinary.com/introducing-the-anova-precision-oven/

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

High school English teacher to a freshman: Your work is fine, but you didn't provide enough examples. Try to show me how this relates to a person.

quote:

I know that when I cook, I can never get different parts of a meal to finish at the same time. For example, last weekend I was cooking salmon with my Precision Cooker. I was also preparing vegetables and pasta. The pasta finished way before the salmon, leaving us with cold noodles by the time we ate. This was super frustrating and it happens to me all the time. The Precision Oven solves this problem.

B+

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Trip report on brisket: After ~30h at 155 it was tasty but certainly not super moist like the SE article suggested it would be--it kinda flaked, actually. I still have two more chunks of this flat left in the freezer, does anyone have any suggestions how they might be done better? I only seasoned them with salt and pepper.

I just did a whole brisket (3 separate bags) at 155f for 24 hours followed by three in a smoker. Mine was tender and juicy AF. The only thing I did differently was doubling up on the vacuum bags. I don't know if this kept more of the moisture in the brisket since the main bag was kept tight against the meat by the outer bag.

Did you have a decent sized fat cap on the cut you cooked?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

AnonSpore posted:

Trip report on brisket: After ~30h at 155 it was tasty but certainly not super moist like the SE article suggested it would be--it kinda flaked, actually. I still have two more chunks of this flat left in the freezer, does anyone have any suggestions how they might be done better? I only seasoned them with salt and pepper.

I did brisket sous vide then smoked a year-ish ago, I wish I'd written down temps and times but it was still very moist.

99% sure this was it, pre-smoking.

Given the wildly varied results goons have been reporting on the brisket, I have a feeling the difference is in the cut and quality of meat used... Mine was fairly marbled and that seems to have rendered nicely without leaking out, so it was great.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Mine was choice flat from a local butcher, decent sized fat cap. I suspected it might have been the meat's quality too so I'm gonna dip down to Costco later today to see if they have any prime, or at least choice point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For ribs, sous vide or instant pot?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ribs are so easy just to bbq or bake i wouldn't bother.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
found some really nicely marbled boneless short ribs at Costco, just put them in at 144 to sit for 48 hours. will report back...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AnonSpore posted:

Mine was choice flat from a local butcher, decent sized fat cap. I suspected it might have been the meat's quality too so I'm gonna dip down to Costco later today to see if they have any prime, or at least choice point.

So, Costco had whole untrimmed prime brisket for cheaper per pound (less than 4 dollars/lb!) than the butcher's choice flat. I know a lot of the weight is lost during trimming but still, poo poo, if I'd known I woulda gone with prime from the beginning. Gonna trim tomorrow and then start vizzling. Hopefully it turns out all right.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ EVERYONE IS DOING EVERYTHING WRONG VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mindphlux posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ EVERYONE IS DOING EVERYTHING WRONG VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

So I couldn't find boneless skinless chicken breast OR salsa at the store today..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have hit the third time when entertaining in which a second circulator would have made things easier, so it's time to level up. Thought about a Joule for the extra power, but will probably get a second Anova Precision and continue to ignore the Bluetooth. Please tell me how I'm being an idiot.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

Have hit the third time when entertaining in which a second circulator would have made things easier, so it's time to level up. Thought about a Joule for the extra power, but will probably get a second Anova Precision and continue to ignore the Bluetooth. Please tell me how I'm being an idiot.

If you don't already know, find out how many circuits you have in your kitchen. Anova PCs draw up to 10 A I believe, so two plus a toaster oven or something will pop your breaker unless you distribute the draw across a couple circuits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

I thought about the Joule but then I looked at my half dozen cambros with holes cut out in the exact perfect size for the Anova and the thought of buying a new hole saw and new lids and making new holes was enough to make me buy another Anova.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
What is a good temperature and time for Yogi Honey Lavender herbal tea?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Just cook it to the same temp as your sous vide pizza

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
80 C water for 3 minutes in a cup, a lot longer sous vide. Why do you want to sous vide a tea? Actually most teas say to use boiling water to get a safe drink. Not sure whether sous vide can accomplish the same, as bacteria/funghi on tea maybe have differently from those on meat or vegetables and may not be sterilized.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 12, 2017

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Hopper posted:

80 C water for 3 minutes in a cup? Why do you want to sous vide a tea?

haha look at this chump who doesn't know how to make the best tea

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hopper posted:

80 C water for 3 minutes in a cup? Why do you want to sous vide a tea?

Precision.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The best tea is not a yogi tea :colbert:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hopper posted:

The best tea is not a yogi tea :colbert:

Even low quality or difficult to cook cuts can easily be made delicious with sous vide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theres a will theres moe posted:

If you don't already know, find out how many circuits you have in your kitchen. Anova PCs draw up to 10 A I believe, so two plus a toaster oven or something will pop your breaker unless you distribute the draw across a couple circuits.

I have a 20A circuit on the island for the plugs (I don't *think* the dishwasher), and two 15s on the counter, so I should be OK.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If you get the Tea *just* to the point of proper warmth... the danger zone, if you will, you can get a magnificent cup of Tea Mi-Cuit.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Sous vide Kraft dinner

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The joke sure getting the sous vide treatment for sure

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

We're making pizza tonight and I'm going to "super-proof" a small ball of dough to like 180 then put it on the pizza steel, just to see what it's like.

I'm 100% convinced it will suck, because overproofing sucks, but whatever it's a tiny ball of dough and it might piss someone off.

E: okay, holy poo poo this is actually a thing.

Hahaha, this worked? Nice.

Now just stuff the dough with cheese, sauce, and pepperoni before puddling and make a pizza bite.
Or, hmm, maybe the idea could be tweaked around to make something like a steamed bun.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

actually seriouspost : this is realtalk

I've popped a breaker at least 20 or so times using my anova on the same circuit as my convection toaster oven. I switch it to a different circuit, and then pop the circuit that my electric boil kettle is on. I use at least two of these tools probably every time I cook, so I have to consciously be like "alright, what can I plug this loving anova in to this time".

edit : my house was built in 1915 and my electrical wires have some sort of fabric mesh braiding around them (whatthefuck, pretty sure I could die in a fire at any given second), so I'm blaming the house more than the anova

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 13, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You know what's annoying? I have 20amp wall plugs but all my power strips are 15amp. I shopped for 20amp power strips but they're 60 friggin dollars

15amp power strip = pop, pop, pop

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

mindphlux posted:

actually seriouspost : this is realtalk

I've popped a breaker at least 20 or so times using my anova on the same circuit as my convection toaster oven. I switch it to a different circuit, and then pop the circuit that my electric boil kettle is on. I use at least two of these tools probably every time I cook, so I have to consciously be like "alright, what can I plug this loving anova in to this time".

edit : my house was built in 1915 and my electrical wires have some sort of fabric mesh braiding around them (whatthefuck, pretty sure I could die in a fire at any given second), so I'm blaming the house more than the anova

Get your house checked out by an electrician.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Probably good old knob and tube wiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So my Anova PC 1.0 says 800W and 120V, which I think works out to less than 7A. Is my math wrong? Maybe the newer PCs draw more, in which case 50% more heating power would be welcome!