Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ups_rail posted:

Lorgayn or how ever you spell his name. Was gonna open a theater get the rights to tale spin, he would buy bitcoins with gift cards.

Oh man Logansryche was amazing. The best part was he was going to allow backers to have special VIP memberships where they could screen anything they wanted. How? He'd torrent it. Like, that was his brilliant plan. He was going to screen pirated DVD's and cams on an office projector.

Ups_rail posted:

Watching people who are honestly not in the best place in life, who blame the system for keeping them down reenact 400 years of financial evolution. Crying how regulations are evil, and then boom the coins get stolen. or scammed from them is amazing.

Ah bitcoin

The true believers who have never cracked open a history or economics textbook, asking "Well why do we need regulations anyway?" and then crying when something without regulation bites 'em in the rear end will never not be hilarious.

Not just Bitcoiners, but there seem to be a lot of them related to it. That and Galt's Gulch idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You all could just daytrade penny stocks if you want to gamble on completely random prices of a thing and do it without having an exchange randomly taking all your poo poo.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Waffle House posted:

Given the amount of "puppeteering" happening everywhere in some mediums lately, it wouldn't surprise me. For me, even the slightest hint that someone's trying to astroturf me into buying into whatever they're peddling is enough to get me to ignore.

Some guy has spent two years on Disqus bugging me about a negative comment I made about buttcoin three years ago. It's amazing. He's not a spambot, he's just apparently decided if he can convince me I'm wrong Bitcoin will get to the moon, finally.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Somewhere there's an MP3 of me saying dog dick coffee table because I was doing a podcast talking about bitcoins

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Oh look, Bitcoin dropped $500! Let's look at the exchanges you can get ActualMoney out of ...

Coinbase Status posted:

Coinbase is currently experiencing high traffic & customers have receive a "service unavailable" message when visiting Coinbase.com. We appreciate your patience while our team actively works to resolve this issue.

HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

scott zoloft posted:

I dunno I just turned 200 dollars into 422, then again into 700. And now I am going to take that 700 and wait for it to drop more and then I am going to buy more. It's fun and doesn't require me to set aside more than a thousand dollars to play market.

Are we talking about bitcoin or the blackjack table?

Ups_rail posted:

The bitcoin threads were more fun when you had the lovable characters of

Mark Weeaboo karpeles and his mountain exchange

Dank: who was speeding all his coins on drugs, and might have been mentally ill. Remember his sick plan to open a hooka lounge and all the free and rather good business advice he go about what a real business plan was and why his budget didnt work.

Lorgayn or how ever you spell his name. Was gonna open a theater get the rights to tale spin, he would buy bitcoins with gift cards.

Dude with the furry coffee table. Now he was a winner cashed out bought a car....who says bitcoin cant buy things.

Dude who leased a apartment in New York city to stream a show about bitcoin, couldnt get the camera out of demo mode. Goons made his phone fall off a chair. He hosted a party where someone came and stole laptops. and to top it off he was gay and liked to gently caress "boys" in pattaya when he tried to set up a bitcoin convention there and people pointed out the nature of the place he got defensive

Who was the dude who thought that cam whores were stupid and turns out they saw through them pretty quickly?

Atlas: The 14 year old randian super man...boy...young adult he even came to this very forum.

Some fucker who didnt know how to smelt silver....

Butterfly labs totally not a scam

Nakamoto satoshi ether a brilliant pseudonym of some dark mastermind or group of masterminds or a man who lives with his mother and just wanted a way to pay for his model trains (austim) and wrote the bitcoin protocol, truly the greatest mystery of our day.

Ah those threads were great....I really like 3 phase talking about electronics and poo poo.

Watching people who are honestly not in the best place in life, who blame the system for keeping them down reenact 400 years of financial evolution. Crying how regulations are evil, and then boom the coins get stolen. or scammed from them is amazing.

Ah bitcoin

THIS IS VERY MISLEADING FUD, YOU DIDN'T MENTION ALL OF THE INDIVIDUALS WHO BECOME FREE-MONEY BILLIONAIRES BY SELLING BITCOIN, INDIVIDUALS SUCH AS:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

divabot posted:

Oh look, Bitcoin dropped $500! Let's look at the exchanges you can get ActualMoney out of ...

I so want to hear some chucklefuck goon bitching how they tried to get in on this easy money and suddenly the (very predictable seriously this happens everytime) reality of buttcoin kicks in.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

LethalGeek posted:

I so want to hear some chucklefuck goon bitching how they tried to get in on this easy money and suddenly the (very predictable seriously this happens everytime) reality of buttcoin kicks in.

They'll start a thread about how (other) goons are wrong about everything

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/874393234037932032

:lol:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

E: the original bitcoin mock thread was started by an earnest booster too, all these years ago. This thread is a thread of destiny.

Also, the reason for the huge price spike in BTC is that the exchange that you can't get cash out of is accepting bitcoins already held in the exchange as collateral for loans (which you can't cash out) which are then used to buy more bitcoins, which are then used as more collateral, etc etc

At least they've finally completed the 19th century section of Let's Play: The Entire History of Non-Barter Value Transferral Systems and now get to cosplay the Japanese real estate bubble.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 13, 2017

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

divabot posted:

It's because those fools don't HODL through the small dips! Don't sell when the price goes down! HODL, it'll just go up again, I guarantee it!1 Please don't sell until I do.

1. Not an actual guarantee.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

meth-huffer on r/ethereum: "WHY ISN'T THIS HEADLINE NEWS"

because dear boy, "news" is something that is unexpected

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This is actually good for Bitcoin, guys

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Waffle House posted:

I mean poo poo, I was fourteen when I registered, I can't fault the dude for that; which thread was this, and how long ago?

"Dank", "Mark Weeaboo Karpeles", and "14 year old Randian Archetype" may as well be characters in a Bitcoin Sitcom...

It woulda been back around 2013 or something like that.

Also I think way back then most goons thought the idea of bitcoins was novel and even satoshi wrote them as more a proof of concept. But their are many many many issues with the set up.

The fact that mining can be cheated by using special hardware which lead to a arms race. Attacks on the transfer system, having to carry a record of each transaction, limits in the volume that can be traded. Not to mention if you send to the wrong address you are hosed. etc.

but again the real comedy was the people who loved their butts, and us mocking them

https://youtu.be/MBfeLdjNVKY

Remember that bitcoin jewl thing, satoshi dice, or that dude on the bitcoin forums who ran a loving ponzi, and was taking the money from the coins and putting them into another ponzi?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Like I said earlier in this thread, if the price looks like its dropping you can convert it all to drugs and buy up after the drop.

PS. How do I warehouse drugs that may or may not exist in another country? This guy a friend told me about on reddit said he could do it but he wont respond to emails anymore, any ideas?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's funny because they post the line graph monument to their idiocy and drop dank memes like "to the moon!!!" instead of hoping people quietly forget about their embarrassing 5-year series of increasingly dogmatic mispredictions.

sounds like a great time to invest, then. how many btc are you in for?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Blockade posted:

Like I said earlier in this thread, if the price looks like its dropping you can convert it all to drugs and buy up after the drop.

PS. How do I warehouse drugs that may or may not exist in another country? This guy a friend told me about on reddit said he could do it but he wont respond to emails anymore, any ideas?

I wonder what the venn-overlap for Bitcoin enthusiasm and "having at least one EVE Online Account" is

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Waffle House posted:

I wonder what the venn-overlap for Bitcoin enthusiasm and "having at least one EVE Online Account" is

you know, at least for goons it's probably the other way around

as soon as you play eve with goons you will realize all the possible ways you can get scammed with buttcoins (and Ham Sandwich and Jeffrey tickle my goonfucker senses)

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
yeah, i'd say eve online actually teaches you all the fuckery that can happen in unregulated markets, which would make one less inclined to engage with bitcoin

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh, yes, playing EVE Online with goons is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in my lifetime. Bar none, hands down, gaming with goons is some of the most fun you'll have with a computer or console. But that is part of the reason that I didn't specifically say "goons" in the post above:

quote:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Slanderer posted:

sounds like a great time to invest, then. how many btc are you in for?

I've gotta sell off some of this xbox one ram first but I'm really fat and lazy from all these doobie dogs!!!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
turning btc into cash is so easier i've taken a shine to calling them my magic money coins

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Another block for the laffchain :haw:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

blowfish posted:

Another block for the laffchain :haw:

That reminds me, does anyone have that video with the English guy giving a presentation that starts out with his use of "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2"?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
You can be absolutely assured that your tokens on the Ethereum blockchain are completely safe investments! Meanwhile, this Bloomberg piece on the DAO hack is pretty good, particularly if you use Firefox "reader" mode.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

divabot posted:

You can be absolutely assured that your tokens on the Ethereum blockchain are completely safe investments! Meanwhile, this Bloomberg piece on the DAO hack is pretty good, particularly if you use Firefox "reader" mode.

And all that was cashed out for Usd by Thomas Edison.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

And all that was cashed out for Usd by Thomas Edison.

Tesla = metals and/or blockchain, Edison = the evil FIAT

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

LordArgh posted:

yeah, i'd say eve online actually teaches you all the fuckery that can happen in unregulated markets, which would make one less inclined to engage with bitcoin

pffft i learned all that about that on habbo hotel mate

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LethalGeek posted:

You all could just daytrade penny stocks if you want to gamble on completely random prices of a thing and do it without having an exchange randomly taking all your poo poo.

Umm this is maybe the worst advice ever. Penny stocks are bullshit, bitcoins have gone from $3 to $3000. Can you please show me some penny stocks that you guys feel would have matched the performance of bitcoin and ethereum?

Can you also like, create stock certificates from your GPU?

No it's cool you should stick to the totally legitimate wall street existing system that people make movies about the open blatant fraud and almost caused a total economic collapse in 2008, that's a much better speculation than something completely new and without any existing stakeholders and offers something different than existing currencies.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

Hi you never responded to my repeated questions, I'd hate to think you are simply going to ignore them, after repeatedly asking me about my holdings until you got a response? There's no way that you'd just straight up ignore my questions after getting yours answered, right?

Why did you start pushing this double standard where any SA poster regardless of position is free to mock and critique bitcoins but needs to have holdings before they can point out how wrong and idiotic goons are? Since you started it, I'd like you to explain it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why did you start pushing this double standard where any SA poster regardless of position is free to mock and critique bitcoins but needs to have holdings before they can point out how wrong and idiotic goons are? Since you started it, I'd like you to explain it.

hey super mad about bitcoins guy, i don't mean to rain on your parade but when you go apeshit over a topic people are naturally going to ask you what your stake in the thing you are going nuts about is

hth, namaste

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hi you never responded to my repeated questions, I'd hate to think you are simply going to ignore them, after repeatedly asking me about my holdings until you got a response? There's no way that you'd just straight up ignore my questions after getting yours answered, right?

Because the normal default position in terms of financial advice is that joining into a bubble is a bad idea, and particularly a bubble in a field with so many extensively-documented opportunities for wipeout disaster like this one, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you personally. So the burden of proof is on the person advocating that ordinary people join in. That'd be you.

Your turn! Tell us about your bitcoin trading career. Size of holding, how much you've made or lost. Waiting.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

system that people make movies about the open blatant fraud

no one has made a movie about bitcoin afaik

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*posts 30,000 words in angry defense of bitcoin*
How uncouth to dare to question my involvement in the thing I'm dropping biblical wordwalls on you about.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

Because the normal default position in terms of financial advice is that joining into a bubble is a bad idea, and particularly a bubble in a field with so many extensively-documented opportunities for wipeout disaster like this one, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you personally. So the burden of proof is on the person advocating that ordinary people join in. That'd be you.

The financial advice that has been proven wrong over time given the valuation of the currency has empirically cost people money and led to distorted perceptions. This is something you seem well aware of as no matter what's going on, you only post the negative stories and never anything to do with people making gains, the currency being accepted, or more widely traded.

So the implicit premise you are advocating is:
You already know Bitcoins are a scam, because you can see the future
You already know the exchanges are a scam, because you can see the future
You can sit there and cherry pick every story that backs up your belief
Despite the fact that people are making money trading and can cash out bitcoins, any claims of that nature have to be backed up with one's trading position
Despite the fact that the above negative links are false, you can simply post them without any vetting - just repeat claims from years ago and you're good to go

And anyone who wants to point out how ridiculous this echo chamber is needs to prove that they have made money in Bitcoins. Well jeeze. With a setup like this how can you ever be wrong or be forced to admit that you have harmed and misled people for years in the sake of what... furthering a narrative you know (or at least suspect) to be untrue?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

So if you ever wanted to ask someone point blank "How can you defend this double standard" they will respond "Because I know I'm right and you need to prove your bullshit opinion"

which of course doesn't mean it's a double standard or anything just that they're right... in predicting the complete collapse and non viability of a currency that seems to keep hanging around.

Remember: Requirements for posting that bitcoins are BULLSHIT - working in a comic book store. Requirements for pointing out the posters doing this are loving STUPID? Well, show me your 401k.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I was going to actually give you some benefit of the doubt, but uh... wow, you're a true believer eh? I mean, someone wants to make a few bucks by playing this system and letting someone else hold the hot potato is one thing, but this is a completely different ballgame.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

mojo1701a posted:

I was going to actually give you some benefit of the doubt, but uh... wow, you're a true believer eh? I mean, someone wants to make a few bucks by playing this system and letting someone else hold the hot potato is one thing, but this is a completely different ballgame.

What are you talking about here?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i refuse to believe that anyone here is smart enough or possesses the insight to predict what will happen with an unregulated global digital dollar that isn't Eve money or WoW gold.

That said, just ride the short term investment market of the present and chill out with some free money :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

something completely new and without any existing stakeholders and offers something different than existing currencies.

Lol, maybe back when cpu mining was a thing

• Locked thread