Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's almost as though it was a sci-fi retelling of the Book of Mormon or something.

It really wasn't though. It was just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If there's anyone that should be completely accustomed to delays, it's ASoIaF fans.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Usually not coming from the show though. I hope we get some real shocking moments in S8 because this season seems short on them. I guess we still have the 3rd 'holy poo poo' moment to look forward to that the showrunners talked about.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Christ is HBO that loving desperate to pad as much time between new seasons as possible? I guess they have nothing else going on in terms of programming.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

cosmically_cosmic posted:

It really wasn't though. It was just dumb.

A new home for humanity's new 13th tribe?

Poochy's home planet is called Kolob Kobol?

Robots are devoutly faithful in God?

Close enough for me, man.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Deadwood update: season 2 not as good as 1, low hopes for 3

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Deadwood update: season 2 not as good as 1, low hopes for 3

just stop now honestly. 3 is such a massive disappointment.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do you say that because it's bad or just because (as I've read) there is no real ending.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

3 has the greatest hand to hand fight scene ever put on film. Even better than the one in "They Live".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do you say that because it's bad or just because (as I've read) there is no real ending.

Both actually but mainly the latter. Its such a wet fart of an ending and most of the main cast just seem so inexplicably neutered,

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow, I thought season 2 of Deadwood was hands down the best season. 3 is OK, but is by far the worst of the series. There's still rumblings of a movie though. That would be weird.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Both actually but mainly the latter. Its such a wet fart of an ending and most of the main cast just seem so inexplicably neutered,

Capitalism and civilization won. Of course it's disappointing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's almost as though it was a sci-fi retelling of the Book of Mormon or something.

How many of those do we actually need?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homecoming_Saga

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't get the whole Chinese thing in Deadwood. They make fun of people like with jew jokes and irish jokes and stuff but nothing you wouldn't hear on xbox live. But they segregate the chinese completely and don't want to be seen even interacting at all. If they hate them so much why do they let them live next door at all. And why is there a bunch of chinese people even in bumfuck north dakota to begin with.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

I don't get the whole Chinese thing in Deadwood. They make fun of people like with jew jokes and irish jokes and stuff but nothing you wouldn't hear on xbox live. But they segregate the chinese completely and don't want to be seen even interacting at all. If they hate them so much why do they let them live next door at all. And why is there a bunch of chinese people even in bumfuck north dakota to begin with.

Do you even history, bro?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

To build railroads. And basically build America.

Also BSG is really dumb and bad, and the hot take that because it has some elements that are superficially connected to a religious text then it is actually suddenly good and deep is bad.

Also Deadwood was great.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jews and Irish are still white people in racists' eyes. Chinese folks aren't.

Also they came to the West to make money just like everybody else.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Has someone who only recently binged through BSG: I found it a very fun space soap opera with decent writing, good characters and great actors

Is way better than got imo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shows also better than got: the expanse, black sails

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

Has someone who only recently binged through BSG: I found it a very fun space soap opera with decent writing, good characters and great actors

Is way better than got imo

And you've finished it? I find it hard to believe someone holds this view after the last episode. (Hell, its a strugle to maintain it through the last season)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just started The Americans, it's not as good as GOT seasons 1 and 2 but better than any GOT after

Also confusing on who to root for

e: I stopped BSG after I couldn't get into season 2. Same thing with The Wire.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

And you've finished it? I find it hard to believe someone holds this view after the last episode. (Hell, its a strugle to maintain it through the last season)

yeap. What's so wrong about it, sincerely? I found it an interesting way to tie everything up

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

Shows also better than got: the expanse, black sails

Hell even if you're really particular and want a show with people getting hit with swords while wearing old-timey clothes, Vikings is better.

I guess it doesn't have tits and dragons though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bloom posted:

Hell even if you're really particular and want a show with people getting hit with swords while wearing old-timey clothes, Vikings is better.

Vikings has tits, the American version is just censored

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
You mean I could've been seeing all these ridiculously hot people naked all this time?!?

brb looking up uncensored versions of King Ecbert's bathhouse adventures.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bloom posted:

Spartacus. The answer is always Spartacus. And it has equal opportunity nudity. And a really good gay relationship. It's a fantastic show and everyone should watch it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Soul Glo posted:

I just started The Americans, it's not as good as GOT seasons 1 and 2 but better than any GOT after

The Americans is great but it starts getting kinda boring by season 4

Still better than got, of course

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeap. What's so wrong about it, sincerely? I found it an interesting way to tie everything up

:psyduck:

I mean obviously you're entitled to think what you like, but I can point to the exact second that it turned from enjoyable but bad to absolute trash.

During the finale when they're having a big fight on the bridge, one character manages to literally shout down a firefight and get the religious fanatic robots and humans to come together in what is essentially a speech taken from the end of an episode of south park. Then, despite knowing that merging the minds of the Cylons will mean one of them becomes aware of a murder the other committed, the murderer merges minds anway. At this time I was genuinely thinking 'Wow it would be hilarious if he just started murdering her and then they all started fighting again' WHICH THEN LITERALLY HAPPENS.

The Big Bad of the series is so shocked by a domestic dispute that he immediately shoots himself in the head despite being seconds from victory, and only stopping in the first place because of the magic hand of the script. He didnt even have any idea if he was being betrayed (He wasn't).

I mean that's not even touching the offensively bad 'It turns out it was Jesus and God all along, also technology is bad and evil, and we should fly all our medicine into the sun and live like cavemen'.

They have characters mysteriously vanish into thin air, and dead characters come back to give a patronising lecture on how humans are too stupid to be trusted with technology, and then need to learn to trust in love and God, but mostly God, and then the 'angels' tell you there is definitely only one God, and suprise, they were US all along!

I mean way to poo poo on the whole interesting concept of an advanced but still polythiestic soceity, by having the end literally be 'abrahamic religions are correct', and it's not even like in a Star Wars, they literally bring in the real earth and footage of modern New York to bang the point home that it was literally the Jesus we know from earth who magically fixed all the plot holes at the end. Hell, it had no bearing on the rest of the series, it is only there to cover up the fact that they had absolutely no idea what they were doing and had written themselves into so many corners that they just couldn't be bothered writing something that made sense.

Despite sticking 'AND THEY HAVE A PLAN' at the start of every episode.

I am so sorry to everyone who read this whole post.

EDIT: I am really suprised there has been no RLM style massive video essay about BSG. It's really ripe for it considering how many little things it got away with by putting off the 'mystery' until the finale.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 13, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Jews and Irish are still white people in racists' eyes. Chinese folks aren't.

Also they came to the West to make money just like everybody else.

Asians and blacks were considered a completely different sub-human species back in the day. And by back in the day, I mean your grandpa's favorite memory of his youth.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

:psyduck:

I mean obviously you're entitled to think what you like, but I can point to the exact second that it turned from enjoyable but bad to absolute trash.

During the finale when they're having a big fight on the bridge, one character manages to literally shout down a firefight and get the religious fanatic robots and humans to come together in what is essentially a speech taken from the end of an episode of south park. Then, despite knowing that merging the minds of the Cylons will mean one of them becomes aware of a murder the other committed, the murderer merges minds anway. At this time I was genuinely thinking 'Wow it would be hilarious if he just started murdering her and then they all started fighting again' WHICH THEN LITERALLY HAPPENS.

The Big Bad of the series is so shocked by a domestic dispute that he immediately shoots himself in the head despite being seconds from victory, and only stopping in the first place because of the magic hand of the script. He didnt even have any idea if he was being betrayed (He wasn't).

I mean that's not even touching the offensively bad 'It turns out it was Jesus and God all along, also technology is bad and evil, and we should fly all our medicine into the sun and live like cavemen'.

They have characters mysteriously vanish into thin air, and dead characters come back to give a patronising lecture on how humans are too stupid to be trusted with technology, and then need to learn to trust in love and God, but mostly God, and then the 'angels' tell you there is definitely only one God, and suprise, they were US all along!

I mean way to poo poo on the whole interesting concept of an advanced but still polythiestic soceity, by having the end literally be 'abrahamic religions are correct', and it's not even like in a Star Wars, they literally bring in the real earth and footage of modern New York to bang the point home that it was literally the Jesus we know from earth who magically fixed all the plot holes at the end. Hell, it had no bearing on the rest of the series, it is only there to cover up the fact that they had absolutely no idea what they were doing and had written themselves into so many corners that they just couldn't be bothered writing something that made sense.

Despite sticking 'AND THEY HAVE A PLAN' at the start of every episode.

I am so sorry to everyone who read this whole post.

EDIT: I am really suprised there has been no RLM style massive video essay about BSG. It's really ripe for it considering how many little things it got away with by putting off the 'mystery' until the finale.

I really dont remember that bridge fight, but Im okay with the rest of it

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

I really dont remember that bridge fight, but Im okay with the rest of it

Yeah I'll even admit, BSG is good if you like half-watch it, because the action is fun and the writing for most of the episodes is at least good. It's no Star Wars prequel in that sense, but if you try and take it at it's word (and as a whole) it falls apart so massively. All the pretentious and vaccuous 'mystery' stuff they string throughout the whole series is so bad, and bad in a way that you don't even notice it when you first watch it because you trust it is going somewhere and does make sense. And they didn't even need it, the show would have been betterw without shallow and stupid lost style mystery twists that are made up on the fly and then scrabbled into an ending 'reveal' at the last minute.

I mean it's a shame, because BSG could have been shlock that transcended into prestige status like Spartacus, but it just turned out to be like, a less successful Stargate.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Yeah I'll even admit, BSG is good if you like half-watch it, because the action is fun and the writing for most of the episodes is at least good. It's no Star Wars prequel in that sense, but if you try and take it at it's word (and as a whole) it falls apart so massively. All the pretentious and vaccuous 'mystery' stuff they string throughout the whole series is so bad, and bad in a way that you don't even notice it when you first watch it because you trust it is going somewhere and does make sense. And they didn't even need it, the show would have been betterw without shallow and stupid lost style mystery twists that are made up on the fly and then scrabbled into an ending 'reveal' at the last minute.

I mean it's a shame, because BSG could have been shlock that transcended into prestige status like Spartacus, but it just turned out to be like, a less successful Stargate.

Yeah, I wanst thinking all that hard. I never even understood all that stuff abouit the other earth (who destroyed it? why there was cylons there?)

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I wanst thinking all that hard. I never even understood all that stuff abouit the other earth (who destroyed it? why there was cylons there?)

Oh man you had the perfect experience then. All the space combat/fleet life stuff was great, you got all the good and none of the trash. No wonder you didn't hate the ending. That poo poo is like a punch to the balls/vagina to anyone who remembers the actual 'mysteries' the finale was 'answering'

The answer to all those questions you have was 'we thought those things would be cool hints to a mystery at the time, but it was actually just Jesus literally guiding our heroes to finish the script- I mean to fulfill their destiny!'

See, nothing in the show actually mattered, because the whole time everyone was being guided by an all-powerful omnipotent diety, whos angels show up at the end to wave away all the plot holes as being 'God moves in mysterious ways, and we need to wrap up four seasons of complete improv nonsense we thought we would figure out later'

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 13, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The end scene in new york where people are watching robots dance on tv while the two angels or whatever talk about humanity was so completely retarded i thought i had fallen asleep and missed the real ending and woke up during some parody aftershow or something. Then i looked at the clock and saw it wasnt and loled hard. What a pile of dogshit

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

The end scene in new york where people are watching robots dance on tv while the two angels or whatever talk about humanity was so completely retarded i thought i had fallen asleep and missed the real ending and woke up during some parody aftershow or something. Then i looked at the clock and saw it wasnt loled hard.

By that point I was already in a coma, I always see people bring up the dancing robots but that is the least of the bad in my opinion. I seriously have a neurotic compulsion to tell people about how awful it is that I struggle with every day.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Spartacus. The answer is always Spartacus. And it has equal opportunity nudity. And a really good gay relationship. It's a fantastic show and everyone should watch it.

Gratitude for breaking such words that see mark well struck.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The first like 2.5 seasons of BSG are good, then they ran out of ideas. It basically ended up being 4 seasons of the "that planet was earth, don't date robots" clip from Futurama.

If you want to be really mad about BSG, watch "The Plan", which shows the whole show from the Cylon's perspective, and confirms that they in fact had no plan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The first like 2.5 seasons of BSG are good, then they ran out of ideas. It basically ended up being 4 seasons of the "that planet was earth, don't date robots" clip from Futurama.

If you want to be really mad about BSG, watch "The Plan", which shows the whole show from the Cylon's perspective, and confirms that they in fact had no plan.

the plan had zoom in on the cock

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

https://youtu.be/2WA5c4QHZLU

Watch to the end of the resurrection ship arc and no further.

From the miniseries and first season I kind of just assumed the human cylons were like grunts and the real cylons were this huge faceless enemy like they were in 33 (probably the best episode, also the first). The more we learnt about the cylons the more boring and less threatening they seemed.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh man you had the perfect experience then. All the space combat/fleet life stuff was great, you got all the good and none of the trash. No wonder you didn't hate the ending. That poo poo is like a punch to the balls/vagina to anyone who remembers the actual 'mysteries' the finale was 'answering'

The answer to all those questions you have was 'we thought those things would be cool hints to a mystery at the time, but it was actually just Jesus literally guiding our heroes to finish the script- I mean to fulfill their destiny!'

See, nothing in the show actually mattered, because the whole time everyone was being guided by an all-powerful omnipotent diety, whos angels show up at the end to wave away all the plot holes as being 'God moves in mysterious ways, and we need to wrap up four seasons of complete improv nonsense we thought we would figure out later'

I was expecting at least some explanation about the "ghost" Six that Baltazar interacted with the whole series (and her Baltazar). I thought they were going to explain it with something related to those projections the clyons can see (which is also something I wish they had explored more) , but at the end they are angels or at least that was what I was able to get of it

edit: Still, I had fun through the very end and kinda sad when it was over. I liked the characters(most of them) and the drama,, the soap opera aspect of it. And perhaps they would have been able to wrap it up a little better in one more season, who knows

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 14, 2017

• Locked thread