Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm a chef, and every single one of them can go straight to hell.

Same. I work in a hospital at that. My *favorite* tickets are gluten free pasta, with alfredo sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How in the hell do you even do that? Like at that point what do you eat?

Vegetarianism is like...yeah OK that can't be too difficult, just don't eat meat, get some beans for protein and some eggs, you're good to go. Vegan is like...OK that's expensive and not easy but you do you, I won't judge. But vegans trying to out vegan each other is just...wut.

They've gotta mask their eating disorder somehow!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's actually brain isn't it

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Looks like some kinda cactus fruit, similar to dragonfruit/pitaya, to me. You can pick em wild on the side of the road on Kauai, near Koloa, little scraggly fruits with wormy-lookin interiors. I don't much care for the taste, they're very bland, but the texture is pretty compelling-- a squeaky, granular crunch halfway between jicama and styrofoam, a syrupy and slightly mucilaginous juice, tiny seeds that pop and click like fig pips as you bite them, and a faint alkalinity that leaves your mouth refreshed instead of gooey.

They look pretty spectacular on the cactus, but gimme a wrinkled, freckly lilikoi over pitaya any day for crunch and flavor.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I will say the one good thing about the gluten free Wheat Belly morons is they did make life easier for people with celiac sprue in some ways, because there's a hell of a lot more choice for them now, restaurants taking it seriously etc.

I am also glad I no longer work in a restaurant though because I know all too well the special hells of a "allergen containment" kitchen

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Apparently it was supposed to be meatballs.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RoboRodent posted:

Apparently it was supposed to be meatballs.

like one big meatball?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Plinkey posted:

like one big meatball?

It's weird seeing the Soup Nazi before he found his true calling.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

angerbeet posted:

I will say the one good thing about the gluten free Wheat Belly morons is they did make life easier for people with celiac sprue in some ways, because there's a hell of a lot more choice for them now, restaurants taking it seriously etc.

I am also glad I no longer work in a restaurant though because I know all too well the special hells of a "allergen containment" kitchen

I'm dating someone with Celiac disease and the fad diet is kind of a double edge sword. On the one hand there's a lot more options available, but on the other hand there's also a lot more people thinking my girlfriend is just trying to be difficult.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looks like weirdly textured dragonfruit to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Of course it's Yoko Taro that posts this too.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How in the hell do you even do that? Like at that point what do you eat?

Vegetarianism is like...yeah OK that can't be too difficult, just don't eat meat, get some beans for protein and some eggs, you're good to go. Vegan is like...OK that's expensive and not easy but you do you, I won't judge. But vegans trying to out vegan each other is just...wut.

What is expensive and difficult about eating only plant-based?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

von Braun posted:

I guess people assume vegans eat a lot of semi-prepared and prepared products, like normal people do. Maybe in the U.S. they do?
All the vegans I know locally are big into cooking from scratch, though, so they usually get by very cheaply. Beans and lentils are not expensive, especially dried stuff. Even refined soy protein or gluten protein is cheap if you buy the dried stuff in bulk.

Semi-prepared vegan stuff is crazy expensive compared to cheap meat products, they're priced more like premium foodstuffs here. Like, vegan hot dogs are twice or three times the price per kilo of your cheapest meat hot dogs.

Edit: This stuff is hella tasty, actually, but you get twice as much quality pulled pork for the money.

http://oumph.se/en/portfolios/pulled-oumph/

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Jun 13, 2017

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

von Braun posted:

The amount of food I'd have to eat to meet my protein and calorie requirements as a laborer would put me out of house and home.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Food deserts exist too

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Edit: This stuff is hella tasty, actually, but you get twice as much quality pulled pork for the money.

If you're not using jackfruit as the base for a vegan pulled pork, you're missing out.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Plinkey posted:

like one big meatball?

That tie is :krad:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Food deserts exist too

Not according to this guy!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

von Braun posted:

Most of the folks on a vegan diet, at least in the US, are also into a lot of food fads that bump up the price, like organic food, juicers, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I felt really bad for the staff once at this Bulgarian restaurant as I sat next to a table of vegans grilling the waiter on the menu. We want Bulgarian food but will not eat meat or yogurt. He became sarcastic eventually and said "well I can give you a cucumber I guess?" because there is literally no such thing as vegan Bulgarian food.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Took an Indian coworker out for a team lunch to a Pho place once; not until we got there did it occur to us that there is no such thing as vegetarian Pho

Poor guy could do nothing but sit there looking doleful :smith:

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Grand Fromage posted:

I felt really bad for the staff once at this Bulgarian restaurant as I sat next to a table of vegans grilling the waiter on the menu. We want Bulgarian food but will not eat meat or yogurt. He became sarcastic eventually and said "well I can give you a cucumber I guess?" because[ there is literally no such thing as vegan Bulgarian food.

My mom thought my wife was a vegetarian for the longest time(she isn't, Ukrainian food is just not that appealing if you don't grow up on it), which apparently translates to "she just eats salad i guess???:shrug:"

e: gently caress gefilte fish forever

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

von Braun posted:

I have no idea. I'm not even a vegetarian but I have yet to meet a single vegan who didn't complain about how expensive it is. I guess getting proper nutrition as a vegan isn't cheap.

The flip side of that is I've heard a ton of vegetarians talk about how cheap it is to eat once you give up beef.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Data Graham posted:

Took an Indian coworker out for a team lunch to a Pho place once; not until we got there did it occur to us that there is no such thing as vegetarian Pho

I've seen pho made with mushroom broth and tofu before, but only in like, one place. And I was too busy loading my bowl up with meat to consider it too much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have no idea. I'm not even a vegetarian but I have yet to meet a single vegan who didn't complain about how expensive it is. I guess getting proper nutrition as a vegan isn't cheap.

The flip side of that is I've heard a ton of vegetarians talk about how cheap it is to eat once you give up beef.

I had a vegan friend who would complain about being broke all of the time while she was grabbing $4 single-serving cans of lovely vegan soup off of the grocery store shelf. I offered to teach her how to cook those exact same kinds of soup from scratch for $1/pot but she was like "nah, too hard."

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Data Graham posted:

You can totally get vegan pho, there's a couple places around me that do it. One also does a vegetarian bahn mi.

Also, I will say that when I was cooking vegan, I spent the least amount of money on food. Because fresh vegetables are cheap as poo poo where I live, and beans and rice don't cost much. Tofu's cheap, too. My food budget was like $60-80 a month for two people.

I mean, you can spend a lot more money and buy fake meat stuff (I do like to spend $5 on a small thing of tempeh bacon sometimes) but it's not like, required. It's just a question of effort, which is true for any kind of food.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sirbeefalot posted:

If you're not using jackfruit as the base for a vegan pulled pork, you're missing out.

Jackfruit does have the right texture and makes a delicious "pulled whatever", but it is far from replacing pork in terms of nutritional value. What I can find online indicates that jackfruit has a whopping 3% protein content. As a full time vegan, you'd need to complement such a meal with another meal of beans/tofu that day, I guess.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess people assume vegans eat a lot of semi-prepared and prepared products, like normal people do. Maybe in the U.S. they do?
All the vegans I know locally are big into cooking from scratch, though, so they usually get by very cheaply. Beans and lentils are not expensive, especially dried stuff. Even refined soy protein or gluten protein is cheap if you buy the dried stuff in bulk.

Semi-prepared vegan stuff is crazy expensive compared to cheap meat products, they're priced more like premium foodstuffs here. Like, vegan hot dogs are twice or three times the price per kilo of your cheapest meat hot dogs.

Oh, Oumph is pretty expensive considering how little you get, yeah. It's good but I've only bought it once at the store and a bunch of times at fast food burger places who uses it.
Veg foods aimed at vegans are the same as video game, audiophile etc stuff aimed directly at those crowds/nerds (like XTREME GAMERZ GEAR HEADSHOT MOUSEPAD/whatever) so idiots buy into it and the amount of variety of semifinished frozen goods have skyrocketed in only 5 years. But if they only eat Oumph! or something you will be ruined. Guess people don't like/are too lazy to learn cooking from scratch.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

mamma mia

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I can't tell vegans to not be vegan, I won't judge them for their choices, but it seems to me that the way to enjoy being vegan would be to find vegan foods one enjoys rather than trying to make vegan-versions of non-vegan food. If you're hankering for a hunk of hogmeat, all the jackfruit slathered in corn syrup and pepper juice in the world won't suffice.

Remember that "fit healthy vegan girl" from earlier in the thread? That's not a vegan, that's complete denial about an eating disorder.

okay, gently caress this, we need some pizza rules and regulations

we need a pizza constitution

we need pizza amendments

we need pizza laws

WE CAN'T LET THIS GO ON ANYMORE

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Jun 14, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can't tell vegans to not be vegan, I won't judge them for their choices, but it seems to me that the way to enjoy being vegan would be to find vegan foods one enjoys rather than trying to make vegan-versions of non-vegan food. If you're hankering for a hunk of hogmeat, all the jackfruit slathered in corn syrup and pepper juice in the world won't suffice.

Remember that "fit healthy vegan girl" from earlier in the thread? That's not a vegan, that's complete denial about an eating disorder.

okay, gently caress this, we need some pizza rules and regulations

we need a pizza constitution

we need pizza amendments

we need pizza laws

WE CAN'T LET THIS GO ON ANYMORE

I say no pizza rules now, no pizza rules forever. :colbert:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

whiteyfats posted:

I say no pizza rules now, no pizza rules forever. :colbert:

*throws down a manhole lid covered with construction paper, fish bones, and a dead dog*

enjoy ur... "pizza" HEH

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Screaming Idiot posted:

*throws down a manhole lid covered with construction paper, fish bones, and a dead dog*

enjoy ur... "pizza" HEH

...would

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Call me crazy but beans feel like a more acceptable pizza topping than pineapples

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh lord

"Encore!" "Bravo!" see I know italian

"Try a Ben Franklin!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm almost tempted to try making one myself, but then I remember I don't hate myself that much yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't hate myself that much yet.

Don't lie.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Call me crazy but beans feel like a more acceptable pizza topping than pineapples

You're crazy, because pineapple is extremely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That pizza probably wouldn't taste ideal, but beans on toast isn't terrible and I'd imagine it would be similar so :shrug:

My main complaint with it is how messy it would be to eat. As soon as you picked it up all those beans would go sliding down on to the plate.