Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I am glad Durant has a ring and Westbrook doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's like all these people who poo poo talk Westbrook completely ignore the message of that Mountain Dew commercial

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

speaking of westbrook he has a player option after next year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i hope that at the dumb nba awards show that nobody is actually going to watch when westbrook accepts his mvp he talks a bunch of poo poo

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I...didn't hate draymond's speech thing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

It's like all these people who poo poo talk Westbrook completely ignore the message of that Mountain Dew commercial

I'm v mad because both of Harden's MVPs have been stolen for literally opposite reasons :colbert:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Boooooooooooooo

quote:

About 30 minutes after Game 7 of the 2016 Finals, Warriors forward Draymond Green sat at his locker in full uniform, fiddling with his phone. All around him, teammates hastily showered and dressed, rushing from Oracle Arena and the champagne fumes that polluted the air. But Green was in no hurry to leave. He replayed in his mind the climactic moments of a weeklong collapse against Cleveland: the chase-down block by LeBron James on Andre Iguodala, the clanked three-pointer by Steph Curry over Kevin Love, the mysterious cold front that froze Golden State’s usually reliable flamethrowers. How, Green wondered, can I make sure this never happens again?

He could start a group chat, or plan a Hawaiian retreat, or sleep in the gym every night from June to October. But grand gestures guarantee nothing against James. “What will get us over this hump,” Green asked himself, “and make us incredible? Not just incredible for a year. What will make us incredible for a long, long time?” Rather than what, the question was who. Green believed the Warriors needed a player to take stress off Curry, so he wouldn’t always have to hit the 35-footer, and apply it to James, so he would never again be able to hide on Harrison Barnes, freelancing for blocks and steals. Only one such person who walks the earth was available.

And so, at that locker, in that uniform, less than an hour after the most excruciating loss of his life, Green punched up Kevin Durant’s number. “See what we’re missing,” Green says, recounting the text message he sent Durant. “We need you. Make it happen.” Green had been courting Durant for months, but this was his strongest pitch yet, delivered at the most dramatic juncture. “Right after you lose Game 7,” Green says, “shows you’re serious.” Of course the Warriors did not need Durant, not really. They had gone 73–9 without him. But Green would leave nothing to chance. Neither, it turned out, would Durant.

Green stared at his phone, waiting for a reply. Up to that point the Thunder were confident they would re‑sign Durant when he became an unrestricted free agent on July 1. One Oklahoma City official kept in touch with him through June and was encouraged by his upbeat tone. “The day Golden State lost, everything changed,” the official says. “The phone calls, the text messages, they were more distant.” The Warriors would have to endure a summer’s worth of mortifying memes—punishment for squandering a 3–1 Finals lead—but by the time Green peeled off his home whites and hit the showers, he could sense that his squad would laugh last. Durant’s response flashed across the screen: "I'm ready. Let's do this."

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/13/golden-state-warriors-kevin-durant-nba-championship-draymond-green-text

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Brolander posted:

I...didn't hate draymond's speech thing

Draymond seems to still be an rear end in a top hat and is absolutely cocky and arrogant and needs to shut up when he gets called for fouls and stop kicking dudes in the dick

................but I was a student at MSU while he was there and I loved watching him play and he turned into the heart of that program and I knew he'd be a steal for the Warriors, so he's *my* rear end in a top hat :unsmith:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

GobiasIndustries posted:

Draymond seems to still be an rear end in a top hat and is absolutely cocky and arrogant and needs to shut up when he gets called for fouls and stop kicking dudes in the dick

................but I was a student at MSU while he was there and I loved watching him play and he turned into the heart of that program and I knew he'd be a steal for the Warriors, so he's *my* rear end in a top hat :unsmith:

I still think those things about him but without the second part. but he managed to sound like a adult for a minute

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Brolander posted:

I still think those things about him but without the second part. but he managed to sound like a adult for a minute

Yeah if you get him out of the spotlight he's always been a really good interview, he's got a great mind for the game and he learned a shitload from Izzo.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

seriously though someone tell me why KD said today that this never happened (immediately after telling a different weird lie about how he Never Watches The Finals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c0_2msk6pk&t=373s
why would any of these people lie this is supposed to be sports not politics essing my dh in confusion

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Olympic 3v3 means that there is a non-zero chance that The Professor might win an Olympic gold medal.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
4 best postseasons of all time by WS/48
1) michael jordan
2) birdman
3) michael jordan
4) javale mcgee
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Olympic 3v3 means that there is a non-zero chance that The Professor might win an Olympic gold medal.

I assume the Olympic 3 v 3 will be competitive, which means The Professor would get eaten alive. He's a cool ball handler when nobody is playing defense, but that's all he is, he's not an actual good enough basketball player or he'd be playing competitive ball somewhere and not traveling around with his webcam making videos of himself clowning on guys in cargo shorts and polo shirts. He's also like 33 years old, it'll likely be a bunch of young non-NBA caliber guys.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

4 best postseasons of all time by WS/48
1) michael jordan
2) birdman
3) michael jordan
4) javale mcgee
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48

More evidence for why WS>WS/48.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

More evidence for why there should always be a minutes played cutoff for a rate stat actually.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

Or why Javale McGee is actually one of the GOATs
:thunk:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

straight WS is flawed because Tim Duncan cheated his way to the top of the list by playing more games than all the other guys on the list.
http://www.basketball-reference.com...1.0&order_by=ws
Check out LeBron and Jordan at #5 and #6 with 14 and 17 games tho

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

haha what a lovely playoffs and finals

when do i get to see the suns suck again

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_TlQvhUyI

nike quick on the commercials

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Owns :colbert:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Intruder posted:

This is canon

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I don't want this Big Ball family near my favourite sports team, thanks :tipshat:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

SUMMER LEAGUE TITLE DEFENSE STARTS NOW, CHUMPS

It's on baby
July Firisk Two thousant and SEVENTAYNE

THE REAL GAME BEGINS
enough of all that playground
funny business
Here and there
This and that
It's time for the Chicago Bulls to take back the Vegas Champions Cup and Detroit Pistons to repeat as the best team in Orlando 4-0, +56 point differential, this where the ballers play

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Chris Paul is 100% going to San Antonio as well as Cleveland
Gordon Hayward is signing with Boston and Miami tommorow
Paul Millsap is joining your favorite team at a substantial discount
Danilo Gallinari is a houston Rocket and a Boston Celtics
Kyle Lowry is going to sign with the 76ers
OTTO PORTER is going to get a max RFA sheet from the Wizards after 10 other teams sign one
Alex Len will be on some NBA team next fall for a small amount of money
The Wizards will try to sign Deron Williams
Tim Hardaway jr is going to take his 20 points 1 rebound 1 assist body to a big contract somehwere
Nerlens and kentavious will also get max offer sheets
Raptors will re-sign PJ the DJ Tucker but not Serge Ibaka, that will be some sucker team
The Grizzlies will retain the fabulous and fantastic Jamychal Green
Spurs will have to pay a decent amount to keep Jonathan Simmons
Phoenix will retain Alan the human highlight reel Williams
Jose Calderon will probably play for another year or two despite being completely cooked
Bobby Brown should get a supermax but the slavemasters of the NBA will deny him
Zach Randolph will re-sign
Brake Griffin will re-sign to a crippling deal
I think the minimum contract Warriors crew will mostly remain unchanged
James Johnson will stay in Miami
Some stupid team will pay MCW money to play basketball. Maybe the Wizards
Utah will give George Hill whatever he wants

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think i watched maybe 1 full game this entire playoffs and still dont feel like i missed a thing lol

gotta keep reminding myself that unless you are one of maybe ~3 teams the nba doesnt really matter year in year out, gotta luck into a generational talent and avoid injury and hope you have an attractive enough city in free agency

i really hate the nfl for a lot of reasons, but for all its warts there's at least some turnover year to year

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 13, 2017

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
I actually found the season enjoyable and atleast the first rounds of the playoffs - lots of players becoming stars or atleast improving (Giannis!) and a bunch of funny storylines throughout the season. I'll never get tired of LeBrons play either.

I did skip most GSW-related things though, as well as the finals.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dirk is going to retire soon and I'm going to start watching 2011 playoff highlights on YouTube instead of actual games.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For those talking about the Warriors cap situation. Durant is most likely going to opt out of his contract, but that doesn't mean he is leaving. Curry likely will sign his contract last, but its unlikely he's leaving too. So there may be websites that will speculate on "Drama" but ignore it.

This CBS article is pretty good explaining the various scenarios Durant is back. It may be off by a million here or there, but I think the math mostly checks out:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-new-cba-heres-what-has-to-happen-for-warriors-to-keep-durant-and-curry/

In Short:

No matter what happens to Durant, they will probably lose Zaza and McGee, unless those guys take minimums again (unlikely now that each already have a ring.

If Durant takes every dollar he can they probably lose Iggy and Livingston (unless those guys take minimum deals). Ian Clark would have massive leverage since they won't have to give up his bird rights. So you might see Ian Clark get $15 million and Iggy signing for less somewhere else.

If Durant takes an almost max contract (6 million or so under) for 1 year they can resign Iggy and Livingston. Both those guys have leverage to get fat deals and if Durant is leaving money on the table those guys can turn their bird rights into big deals like JR, TT and Shumpert did. Durant then uses his early bird rights to take a true max deal in 2018. This means the Warriors will be in tax hell really quickly. I think this is the most likely scenario.

If Durant just opts in or signs a new, short deal on a bigger discount then the Warriors can bring back Iggy, Livingston and Clark and maybe even make another, smaller move this summer.

As someone who spent his youth playing computer games and D&D arbitrary rules on cap is so my poo poo. Thanks for reading.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/status/874584819883266052

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/status/874584819883266052

lol owned dang it

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am excited for the 2018 finals of Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers.

In fact I am so excited that you might call me shook.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

cavs in 9

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't believe I've been left out of the NBA thread irl roundtables

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

That's too bad. Draymond could have dick kicked Trump and become an American folk hero.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that guy spelled SAWFT wrong

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

It's a big loss to society that the stankiest face in history was made last night yet we'll never see it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Has any player besides Durant won a finals MVP immediately after switching teams, either via free agency or trade?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

durant finally proves the doubters that gave him an mvp and back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back all-star selections and all-nba (minus his injury year for the latter) wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That's too bad. Draymond could have dick kicked Trump and become an American folk hero.

I am a Cavaliers fan, and I would honestly say until the end of time that Draymond never did a thing wrong if he did this.

• Locked thread