Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we'll show off our garages and workshops. I'm in the process of building me and my friends new garage, since the last one I had burned down.

Here's the old one:

And then someone (not me) did some welding on a gas tank:

Now me and my friend are working on getting a nice garage set up. We've already gotten a lift and a compressor, and now we're working on the workbench and a small storage space for tires and stuff.

Large Ingersoll-Rand compressor I got for free:

First iteration:

Picking up the lift:

Lift, chain hoist and a lot of stuff:

The start of something grand:

The progress so far:

I'm still thinking about the lathe I can get for a song, but it looks like it won't be enough room for it if I'm going to have my project car there.

So, show off your garages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I recon we had an old Garage/Workshop thread before, but it fell into the abyss of the archives.

This is my workshop. Its actually meant to be a 2 car garage, but i think the cars have spent about 3 weeks total out of the nearly 18 months it been built inside it.

Its an Olympic Industries shed, 9m deep, 6.2m wide, 3.3m on the walls and 4.09m at the roof pitch with a single roller door 5m x 2.8m out the front.

Started off as a frame

We clad the walls

lifted the 185kg roller door up into position with the landcruisers winch, which was skeeeettchy...

And wound up with a mostly waterproof structure. Until it poured with rain and flooded...

Pretty much straight away it got pressed into service as a garage, and after the $9K outlay of for the shed we had to wait a while for a slab. So by the light of two LED camp lights and a Milwaukee lantern we rebuilt the engine in my mates car (the FIRST time)

Soon after that we installed a RIDICULOUS amount of LED lights, and with about 30,000 lumens of light (each of those fixtures is 3800 lumens!) the place was a whooole lot nicer to work in.

Knocked up a workbench out of some reclaimed cypress decking from a bridge upgrade at work so we had somewhere to actually do things

Then my mate blew up his engine AGAIN, so we did a full blown drivetrain swap in a shed with a 100mm thick, damp, soft, road base floor.

Which required lateral thinking and the purchase of some sacrificial structafloor.

Finally came the day when the slab went in.

Its a nominal 125mm thick floor, although theres one section thats about 250mm thick in the back corner, which works out quite well for me.

After 7 days of impatiently waiting for the concrete to cure, we started to clad the walls. I picked up some 17mm MDF sheets for free from a mate who works in a fertilizer warehouse- They use em to block the doors of shipping containers when loading them with fertilisers and they're just piled up and thrown out.

So we stuffed the walls with insulation and proceeded to clad them.

After finishing off the front two thirds of the workshop, A huge pile of timber was bought.

And turned into this! 4 Stud walls

Added a 240x45mm LVL header beam...

A heap of 140x45 joists..

And half a dozen sheets of 19mm structafloor...

And now the sheds got a mezzanine! Which essentially gives me a 12mx 6.2m sheds worth of floor area! Head room up there isnt too bad, you cant stand up, but its not uncomfortable to move around. We had to build a stud wall to rest the mezzanine on as Olympic couldnt guarentee that the shed frame was actually strong enough to support the mezzanine, so it was safer to overbuild a wall and rest it on, and not that expensive either- the wood cost about $1K all up for framing, and about $350 for the flooring, so under $1.5K all up

And ever since the slab went down, ive been moving the great pile-o-poo poo around trying to get it out of the way, so theres now finally a home for it!

It did require some novel lifting ideas to get some of the heavier poo poo up there, so once again the winch got put to use

I got some more of the boards and lined the new stud wall, after stuffing two layers of insulation into it for max sound proofing since this end is the workshop and machine shop end... which is why im happy bout the 250mm thick floor, cos thats going to be really nice to support a lathe and a mill!

Embedded air lines into the walls while i was at it

And had half a dozen 9w LED downlights added in under the mezzanine for workshop lighting.

And this is where it currently stands.

Ive got to put a new front diff housing into the silver landcruiser next weekend to replace a bent one, and then after that the plan is to pull everything back out of the workshop end, give it a really good clean and epoxy paint the floor. After that cures, we can start building the benchtops and overhead cupboards in the workshop end.

So far im in about $9200 for the structure itself, about $1500 in electrical (theres 20+ power points in this shed, split between 10A and 15A 220v circuits), $4500 in concrete, $1300 in the mezzanine and about $500 in the lining in insulation, screws, silver foil sarking etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its small, but its my shop. Planning on starting my own parting/repair buisiness, so we'll see what the next shop looks like.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Really need some things to work out so I can get a place to build a workshop. Especially when near me you can hire a slot in a big workshop with a lift etc... for $750 a month :v: just need to not go crazy and make some huge behemoth that dwarfs the house.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey, afen, I remember the burning garage. New place looks cool. Was that also you that had the Audi RS2?

I'm jonesing for real garage space. For now, I'll have to make do with my small storage unit adjacent to the underground parking garage in my condo building, mixed with smooching off my buddy's workshop coop with a lift. Problem with the last solution is that the car needs to be able to both drive there and drive home at the end of the night...

Cosy.

Jack parking. Secondary tool box.

Main tool box. It's usually a lot more cluttered.

Junk.

More junk.

Work bay. When I can, I block both parking spots, things can sometimes get tricky if there's a neighbor.
Storage unit is actually right on the other side of the wall, near the left front of the car, but I have to go around to the right. Still, it's only 25m or so, so it's easy to go and get a needed tool or something.
There's no electricity (well, there is if but it's a hassle to borrow and return the key and it's a little unsanctioned so blergh.) so I rely heavily on battery powered stuff, which actually works out pretty awesome.

Hoist at my buddy's place.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

bolind posted:

Hey, afen, I remember the burning garage. New place looks cool. Was that also you that had the Audi RS2?

Yes, that's me. Thankfully the RS2 was at home!

A hoist is the greatest thing you can have in a garage! At least you don't have to lie in the gravel outside :)

I rebuilt the RS2s engine in my garage at home. A metre between the car and my tool chest, but I got it done!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
It's getting there!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I moved to Asheville, NC from Wasilla, AK about 8 months ago. In AK I had a 3 car attached and 3 car detached garage, so I didn't want to lose that space with a new house. Luckily I was able to find a place with a 2000sq' garage under the house.

Moving day

The day the lift arrived

I hate bare walls

Work benches and tool storage area

Can stack 'em in three deep along this wall

I reserve this corner for long term operations

Three wide at the (smaller than I'd like) double doors

Overflow and dually parking outside undercover

In the next year or two, the plan is to move all this nonsense out from under the house and only store runners there. I don't like the idea of potentially burning my house down with project cars. So, the plan is to build a 30x40' shop on slab with 12' ceilings and 2 10x9' doors where the carport thing is.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I moved to Asheville, NC from Wasilla, AK about 8 months ago. In AK I had a 3 car attached and 3 car detached garage, so I didn't want to lose that space with a new house. Luckily I was able to find a place with a 2000sq' garage under the house.
:circlefap:I was about to say "I tried to buy this house in 2014!" until I saw the outdoor parking. If you ever want to drink beer and point at cars with a bunch of sperglords in Arden, let me know.

I have a garage/shop under my house as well. There's an insulated dividing wall that creates a 27x30" garage and roughly the same on the shop side. The major benefit is that the shop never gets above ~65F since the slab and walls are poured concrete.

The shelving and LED situations have since improved and the number of Neon ACRs has halved - could almost fit them nose-to-tail but eh, wanted to get a Challenger inside. Unfortunately, the remaining ACR is torn into its component pieces for paint with wiring harnesses and poo poo strung all over the place.

Other side of the wall holds more tools and my dog's thunder shelter. Also a microwave for popcorn purposes. The toolboxes and engine stands have proliferated since this photo was taken and that's not necessarily a positive development. I also decided that the shop needed four outlets every 48" all the way around - really can't justify this in retrospect.

Thankfully there's enough outdoor parking to make up for the lack of horseshit I can fit inside - ignore the F150, I traded my XJ for the day. :v: Also, the builder apparently didn't want anyone to look at this side of the house.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I mean there's not really any good angle to view a McMansion from

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't have any cool pictures to show off my very standard 2 car garage. Still, I'm working on making it better and removing the poo poo tile in it and getting the floor epoxied this summer, and redoing a bit of drywall and hopefully painting it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Pryor on Fire posted:

I mean there's not really any good angle to view a McMansion from

Someone's a sour puss. That's hardly a McMansion and so what if it is? This isn't "Show us your design aesthetic regarding modern residence design," it's Garage/Workshop chat.

For me, this thread is tough. I gave up a nice under-house garage like OneOverZero has for a suburban existence. I at least held out for an extra-wide 3 car garage. Even so, I'm always hurting for space. Luckily, shortly after we moved here, Linens & Things closed and I bought their towel aisle. I think it was around $300 and that yielded over 50' of commercial slatwall and 60' of commercial shelving. I've still got a few dozen loose shelves and some shelf framing in my basement. One of the best buys ever.

I didn't get a shot of the whole haul, but here's in-process with most of the slatwall up. (This is almost 10 years ago, the garage is much more full and the car is gone.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
It's done! (It's never done)

Lighting and power outlets fitted, and some of my tools hung up. I've got most of my tools in my tool cabinet, and that's where they'll stay.

Got the air tools organized:

This photo was taken last Sunday:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
afen, that looks very nice and inspirational. Cool with those relatively tall ceilings. More room for more junk.

Dunno about the windows, but my mate's shop has a somewhat similar setup, and they put up a sheet of plexiglass on the inside of the windows, flush with the wall (so, maybe 10cm of air between that and the windows.) That really improved the insulation and made their diesel powered heater. You could consider something similar.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
what is the red car? I really can't place it

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
E24 6-series?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

bolind posted:

afen, that looks very nice and inspirational. Cool with those relatively tall ceilings. More room for more junk.

Dunno about the windows, but my mate's shop has a somewhat similar setup, and they put up a sheet of plexiglass on the inside of the windows, flush with the wall (so, maybe 10cm of air between that and the windows.) That really improved the insulation and made their diesel powered heater. You could consider something similar.

Thank you! I would like the ceiling to be a little bit taller so that I can max out my hoist, but beggars can't be choosers. It's almost impossible to find a place like this in my city that doesn't cost $$$

The place is pretty cold during the winter, and that sounds like a great tip! I'll look into getting some plexi for insulation.

slothrop posted:

what is the red car? I really can't place it

1974 Opel Commodore

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Soooo Jealous of everyone.
So what is the best deal on LED lights nfor a garage ow? I have 4, 4', 4 bulb fixtures and have lost some bulbs. want to move to LEDS.
I need 16 4' replacements or 8 really bright replacements.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

some_admin posted:

Soooo Jealous of everyone.
So what is the best deal on LED lights nfor a garage ow? I have 4, 4', 4 bulb fixtures and have lost some bulbs. want to move to LEDS.
I need 16 4' replacements or 8 really bright replacements.

I think most people sale shop Costco to buy that one distinct brand that looks kind of like a two tube fluorescent, but isn't. I have one and it's really bright. Were I building another garage I'd go with them over fluorescent for sure.

edit: ahhh yeah, Feit: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270879

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
The compressor is finally together properly.

Bodged the HP piston ring install last time, so I had to open it up again to replace them once more.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Got the asbestos tile removed from my garage floor today. Only it wasn't everywhere in the garage and there are random concrete patches.

Before:

After:

Going to see an epoxy guy soon and see what can be done. Hopefully it's salvageable.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

If that's concrete left over then it's either a case of grind down the remnant concrete to level with the slab or fill where the tile was with self levelling cement, then coat

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

OneOverZero posted:

:circlefap:I was about to say "I tried to buy this house in 2014!" until I saw the outdoor parking. If you ever want to drink beer and point at cars with a bunch of sperglords in Arden, let me know.

Nice! Yeah we were lucky as hell to find this place. I'd love to experience an early Neon ACR in the flesh. My first car was a 95 Neon Sport Coupe in black. I would totally buy one if I found one for sale just to hold on to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ferremit posted:

If that's concrete left over then it's either a case of grind down the remnant concrete to level with the slab or fill where the tile was with self levelling cement, then coat

That's my thought. I worry that I might have problems getting things to adhere based on whatever they used to remove the mastic. I will likely farm this job out anyway so I'll see what some pros recommend.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I think the accepted method of epoxying an old floor is to grind it down till you get clean concrete, then acid washing it to get it to etch the surface to give the epoxy something to key into.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Shot blast works better than grinding, but yeah, that's the general process.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I've been trying to get a new garage, as the one that came with the house I bought is a single, too low, narrow and short to meaningfully fit a car in; and rotten to boot. It's not up to much.

Quotes for a new garage of the size I want vary wildly, from an affordable 18k for kitset & assembly to over 30k (less affordable for me right now). I'm wondering what corners are being cut on the 18k quote and what hidden costs I would be presented with later. Although it's a moot point because that company can't do the work anyway which leaves me with option c), build a lovely temporary carport.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The cool part about my house is that it has a garage, plus a standalone workshop in the back, plus another standalone music studio.

The bad part is that this is the garage:

Slab is cracked and bullshit, the lighting is terrible, and it barely fits a Miata to park - let alone work on it. The Miata's on the way out and I don't think anything else that'll work for us is going to fit, so I'll probably have to street park it and make the garage a motorcycle-only zone.

I'm going to put in a lot of LED lighting and outlets, then that's about all I can do in there. Kind of a drag.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
So my Dad and I just signed a 3 year lease on a commercial garage. He actually used to run a garage back in the 70's that specialized in British sports cars. I think he was always a little disappointed that I never caught the automotive bug, but then a few years ago it caught up to me with a vengeance haha. I think he felt bad for me doing all this work lying in the street in south philly, plus he's getting ready to retire and needed a space of his own. I've got two project Jeeps at the moment, and he will be bringing his 1953 MGTD up from storage in Florida soon. I'm planning on adding another project truck soon and he wants to do an MGB or MGBGT project in the near future as well.

Garage is 2200 sq/ft and is about 20 mins from where we live. Right now we're still working on cleaning and prepping for a floor coating. The floor was loving NASTY. We power washed the whole thing twice, it pretty much went from black to a normal concrete color. Gnarly. We are using a product called U Coat It which is an industrial floor coating, hoping to get that down this weekend if the weather cooperates. Also replacing the lovely lighting with LED strips and putting up some fresh drywall. Then we're installing a MaxJax lift in the back corner. Should be pretty awesome when it's all done!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My dream is to rent a spot like that and split it half rehearsal / recording studio and half workshop / garage (and then sell my house and move into a studio or something.)

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It almost fits. Once I rearrange some furniture and make a new door at least I'll be able to park in out of the rain and work on some things under cover.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 1, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^ How did imgur get so poo poo so quickly? Linked pics never work for me now.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 1, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'm trying to work out how to use it on mobile since Photobucket now wants me to pay (gently caress paying for literally anything)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'm trying to work out how to use it on mobile since Photobucket now wants me to pay (gently caress paying for literally anything)

Even on their main site if I copy the link they don't show up in threads, but open fine in a new window.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
Here is my garage. It is about 550 square feet and sits below my living room. It started as a one car but I took out a wall and now its a 1 car + workshop. It's heated on the same hydronic heating loop as the rest of the house, has a wall unit for AC, and fireplace in the winter.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
gently caress you! I had a house just like that which I was going to make moves on but some one snatched it. I was grumpy for a week.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

asmasm posted:

Here is my garage. It is about 550 square feet and sits below my living room. It started as a one car but I took out a wall and now its a 1 car + workshop. It's heated on the same hydronic heating loop as the rest of the house, has a wall unit for AC, and fireplace in the winter.

We're hopefully closing on a house with a similar setup at the end of the month. I need to figure out a way to knock out part of the partition wall between the garage and unfinished basement that's at least mostly to code. I don't plan on doing any welding/grinding/painting in the unfinished half but will be using it to store several cars as well as engines/transmissions/etc. Mostly want to make sure fumes aren't going up the stairs into the living room.

I'm pumped to have enough space to store everything inside and space to work

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
I was lucky- the wall that was dividing the room was floating against those poles and only touched the old drop ceiling, not the joists. Removing the wall only took an afternoon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That's similar to how this one is, there's a small partition that comes down from the ceiling joists a foot maybe then this wall sits underneath it. I'm supposed to be going over there today to to meet with the septic inspector...if he ever calls back and lets us know when he's going to be there. I'll get pictures then, if not Thursday is the regular inspection and I'll be over there for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Here's the wall in question, there's around 7.5 feet between the wall and the stairs so plenty of space for cars to roll past. Current plan is make the section between the 2nd stub from the wall to the stud past the steps removable, that's a bit over 6 feet if I remember right. I'd like to avoid leaving it open so either have that section removable (just slide out of the way) or maybe get fancy and hinge it somehow. Have all the dimensions somewhere but not on hand with me.