Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The direction in that first episode is amazing. Nick Hurran is absolute gold dust to everything he works on, often elevating lacklustre material, or finding odd ways of approaching interesting stuff (as he does here).

I really liked Travelers, up until the last three or so episodes where it started dropping plotlines left and right. Really lost my faith in it. It also suffers really bad from arsehole syndrome -- wherein any antagonist that has a point is undermined by being a complete arsehole.

On the other hand, it recognises how good an actress Jennifer Spence is, so it can't be that bad. Actually, there's quite a lot of good Canadian casting going on, including a guest appearance by the great Karen Konoval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Honestly I was blown away by the acting especially by Jared Abrahamson. Dude pulls off being a 100+ years old guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Catching back up with American Gods and drat that ep 5 opening is a bit good isn't it

Was that the animated sequence? I wasn't a big fan of that but that's just a matter of personal tastes.

In general I've really enjoyed American Gods and its really patchwork style of storytelling. You can legitimately criticize the show for moving the plot along slowly and not getting near enough accomplished in S1 to make it feel "full" but I enjoy the show as a real kind of "mood" television less than an actual narrative. If that makes sense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm watching the last few episodes of a bunch of CW shows on Netflix and this looks way better than what my cable company shows on my TV. Fuckers. :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

I'm watching the last few episodes of a bunch of CW shows on Netflix and this looks way better than what my cable company shows on my TV. Fuckers. :argh:

Yup.

Cable TV sucks for more than just the bundling. It sucks for quality. I even have FiOS which was supposed to be the gold standard of quality, but it's just as terrible.

It's seriously can barely be called HD anymore. Super muddy. Waxy skin tones. Compression artifacts running rampant. Cord cutting for me is going to be about quality more than it's going to be about price or choice.

Most of my shows I'm buying on Vudu now, so much better that way. Other stuff, I'll wait on Netflix/Amazon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't even have a 4K TV, just a 2014 Vizio M series. I have around 50 items on my DVR list to record, so it would be hard to just quit that. I plan on quitting Dish when TDS brings their fiber TV later in the year, we'll give that a try for a year. After that we'll see if I can deal with not watching HGTV.

I'm paying $100/mo for Dish, poo poo aint cheap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I pay $99 / month for 75mb fiber plus some TV.

Don't count on fiber solving quality issues. A lot of the issue is in the distribution now. Turns out if cable companies are going to compress the poo poo out of everything anyways, might as well do it at the source too and cram more channels on a transponder.

It's all a race downwards.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Oh I pay another $70/mo for 250/250 internet too. Although when TDS comes it'll be $70/mo for gigabit so.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah theres no truly good source for high quality tv until it (if it) comes out on bluray. I must've compared about 6 different sources of Mr Robot for s2 to find something decent, but the dark scenes looked poo poo on everything.

That being said, for cable I don't find the channels on xfinity are too bad for normal programming. NBC in particular has decent bitrate, and football looks good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
OTA broadcasts are amazing compared to cable. Football is when I really notice it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OTA is one area that Verizon still leaves untouched.

It's still crap.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Man I am really impressed by the seasons long character arcs for side characters that The Americans have been able to pull off. I'm on season 4 and the 2-1 gut punch of Nina's redemption/death and what might as well be living death for Martha has me feeling hella depressed, but still impressed how the quality of the show just seems to have no ceiling. I'm honestly dreading the inevitability of Elizabeth manipulating Paige into joining the ranks, thinking that their whole schtick is some kind of peaceful spy poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Americans is amazing.

That is all.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm on season 4 and (...) still impressed how the quality of the show just seems to have no ceiling.

And then season 5 happened.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

The Americans is amazing.

That is all.
Which season are you on?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am fully caught up. Waiting for the final season.

Edit: and because I rewatched it with my roomie, s5 is the only season I haven't seen twice.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
American Gods is really hit-or-miss for me. The good stuff is excellent, groundbreaking TV but I feel like there's a lot of moments that either don't translate well into live-action or just feel like excuses to say "hey we're on PREMIUM CABLE, look what we can do!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

American Gods is really hit-or-miss for me. The good stuff is excellent, groundbreaking TV but I feel like there's a lot of moments that either don't translate well into live-action or just feel like excuses to say "hey we're on PREMIUM CABLE, look what we can do!"

Every big budget show could do with having a smaller budget. Spartacus still remains the golden standard on pacing and that's because when it was spending money on weird shots and visual gimmicks it always had to serve a purpose. I mean there are exceptions like season 2 of Leftovers and Fargo but then there are also the shining case of 'just get on with it already' like Game of Thrones and Sherlock which waste everyone's time with pointless scenes so that they can jam yet another location shot, expensive set-dressing or visual effect into a season.

A show being slow and artsy fartsy for the sake of it (Legion, Preacher, The Young Pope) can be fine, in fact it can be great, but there certainly is a saturation of that kind of show at the moment. Patriot earlier this year was so refreshing because it did all of this without having the pacing of a slug.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's still a little annoying to me that of all the people to break out from Spartacus it was Jai Courtney. I loved Varro but come on.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm on episode 2 of The Leftovers and this is mostly boring and stupid, do the other seasons bother building on any of this stuff with the dumb cult or does it get retooled hard for season 2?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They effectively reboot the show in season 2. Season 1 gets better as it goes along though. But yeah if you think certain story lines are crap or characters are annoying, they are gone in season 2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm on episode 2 of The Leftovers and this is mostly boring and stupid, do the other seasons bother building on any of this stuff with the dumb cult or does it get retooled hard for season 2?

They loving scrap almost everything except the main characters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I enjoyed season 1 of The Leftovers more than season 2, but just barely. And yeah they're so different it's a disservice to both to compare them.

Is season 3 yet another tone shift or is it continuing the groove that season 2 found?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

precision posted:

Is season 3 yet another tone shift or is it continuing the groove that season 2 found?

The latter but with more Australian seasoning.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It's still a little annoying to me that of all the people to break out from Spartacus it was Jai Courtney. I loved Varro but come on.

Probably because he got to peace out just as it was getting big so he could leverage his popularity, while everyone else was still on the show until the end.

The funniest fallout from Spartacus is definitely how for the 300 prequel/sequel they gave Peter Mensah a bigger part, even though in the original movie he was just some random guy who died memorably.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm almost out of my current shows. So what should I check out next? Here are my next shows I wanna watch but I don't know which I should try first. (I'm currently trying to get more of Handmaid's Tale but the wife has to psych herself for it so I think that'll be for when she's not around)

Better Call Saul S3
Americans S1
Leftovers S1
American Gods S1
The Expanse S2

Any opinions? Do any of these suck?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only one of those I've seen is Better Call Saul, but it's probably enjoying its best season thus far so I have no reservations recommending it anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Better Call Saul 100%

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think The Expanse s2 an improvement on the expanse s1, so there's that. All those shows are good.

American Gods is still in the first season (i think there are​ ljke 2 eps left? Maybe 1 now?) And it's a much shorter season than The Americans.

The real answer is Patriot, on amazon prime.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

I'm almost out of my current shows. So what should I check out next? Here are my next shows I wanna watch but I don't know which I should try first. (I'm currently trying to get more of Handmaid's Tale but the wife has to psych herself for it so I think that'll be for when she's not around)

Better Call Saul S3
Americans S1
Leftovers S1
American Gods S1
The Expanse S2

Yes but everyone seems to disagree with me about it. They're wrong though.

BCS S3 is very good, the Americans is amazing, American Gods I'm coming around on, and The Expanse S2 is solid but different from S1 for obvious reasons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Better Call Saul S3
Americans S1
Leftovers S1
American Gods S1
The Expanse S2

They're all good so whatever.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

muscles like this! posted:

They're all good so whatever.

Sweet. Thanks y'all! Also I'm halfway through Patriot and speaking of Amazon, I'm super ready for The Tick S1 to drop.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Sweet. Thanks y'all! Also I'm halfway through Patriot and speaking of Amazon, I'm super ready for The Tick S1 to drop.

You mean season 2? 1's up and it holds up.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

McSpanky posted:

You mean season 2? 1's up and it holds up.

Record scratch.

Welp, I know my answer now.

Edit: I only see episode 1 and that the rest will drop August 26th. Is that wrong?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 13, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Croatoan is talking about the 2017 show, McSpanky is talking about the 1994 show. :ms:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That said, this season of BCS has been insanely good. It seems like they realized that they shouldn't really drag things out too much longer so there is finally more forward motion on how Jimmy directly becomes Saul.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0PUkGbuto

Anyone watching this? Is it good?

MiddleOne posted:

Patriot earlier this year was so refreshing because it did all of this without having the pacing of a slug.

I loved Patriot, but c'mon, The pace this show moves at is on par with The Americans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Cylons were created by man. They rebelled. They evolved. There are many copies. And they have a plan.

quote:

Moore said this was, essentially, just something co-executive producer David Eick thought sounded cool, that audiences would love and that they could figure out later. They never did and, said Moore, “For the next 14 years of my life people have asked me ‘What was the plan?’” In short, “There was no… plan.”

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 14, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Not saying this is bad at all, but new Twin Peaks feels more like Mulholland Drive than old Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

The Cylons were created by man. The rebelled. They evolved. There are many copies. And they have a plan.

I liked that they even went as far as to call a spinoff thing THE PLAN.

• Locked thread