Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Snowman_McK posted:

Who were those people convinced Conor was good for the sport and why did they think that?

He gets tons of people to pay money to watch it which I think is maybe the goal??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Marching Powder posted:

there is a 100% chance that an enormous ego is going to be completely embarrassed

Are your pants going to fall down at the sports bar on fight night or what

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The 2 division UFC champ who tricked Jose Aldo into mismanaging his energy & who mostly beat Nick Diaz the second time they fought. The fact of the matter is, the mans a walking miracle. And I'm through doubting Conor McGregor.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Work Friend Keven posted:

The 2 division UFC champ who tricked Jose Aldo into mismanaging his energy & who mostly beat Nick Diaz the second time they fought. The fact of the matter is, the mans a walking miracle. And I'm through doubting Conor McGregor.

The bitch who doesnt want the third fight?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCXKT0hhdI

McGregor getting beaten to every punch by a 20-30 ranked welterweight

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is Conor ever going to defend his UFC titles

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The fun game is trying to find two healthy suggestions for an interim fight at lightweight that isnt ridiculous.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

No and I'm stunned anybody thought he would after he already had to forfeit one belt specifically for never defending it

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-date-052007175.html

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
“Only time McGregor has been defeated was when he was on the ground,” Mayweather said during the interview.

Somewhere in California Nick Diaz hears some howling.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know approximately gently caress all about legit punchsports but Conor doesn't REALLY think he has a chance, does he? Does anyone think that?

Conor hits harder than almost anyone else in the UFC at his weight class. So, the timeline where Conor miraculously slips a knockout punch into the chin of the greatest defensive boxer in history does exist, but don't loving count on it.

The only reason to buy this PPV when it happens is if you hate Conor and want to gleefully watch him get destroyed.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I had a dream last night where Conor for some reason had a boxing match against some 4-0 prospect that no one had heard of, and it took place in a makeshift outdoor arena in a field somewhere in Ireland. Conor got brutally knocked out in two rounds and the Floyd fight was canceled. That's my Conor McGregor dream experience.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

At the small cost of the legitimacy of the lightweight division and actual lightweight title fights.

Those two things are of immense benefit to Conor. I'm asking about the benefit to the sport. Because PPV buys outside of him and Ronda are down and the title picture in half the divisions is either hosed or dire.

surprising you have this many tears left after you shed so many for mighty mouse

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lloyd Boner posted:

I hope this fight happens with UFC PPV because Fight Pass PPVs in Korea are 15-20 bucks

lol it's probably going to be on Showtime PPV and cost $100 :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

1st AD posted:

lol it's probably going to be on Showtime PPV and cost $100 :getin:

yeah it's definitely going to be this

It's all going to be how Floyd and boxing, showtime, etc. want it to be. Conor and the UFC aren't dictating any of this.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 13, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's probably contracts and licenses to consider for them too.

Just an example, dunno if this is how it strictly works: If all UFC PPV's are carried for free on BT Sport as part of the contract, if it's a UFC PPV, they'd probably have to let people watch it for free but if you let showtime run it, you can probably sell it without having to deal with poo poo like that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I could see it being on Fight Pass for the same price as the PPV in the US and at whatever cost is realistic in other areas. They're going to try to make every dime possible on this thing and the UFC brings a platform to get people who don't have cable or don't live in a country with traditional PPV access to see the fight.

But yes, it will absolutely be Showtime PPV and cost $100.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

double negative posted:

The biggest question to me is, if this happens, does Conor ever fight again

He seems to love fighting and attention so, maybe

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Imagine watching Conor get out boxed by Nathan Diaz, somewhere between "perennial journeyman" and "gatekeeper" for the lightweight division, and thinking Yeah this dude could take on the best boxer of all time

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Except Conor is way bigger than Floyd and Floyd is like fifty and hasn't fought for a couple years. So there's a little more to this than myself and others are pretending. I will watch it and split the price of the PPV with friends and hell, maybe have a beer or two.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boxing punching and UFC/MMA punching are two drastically different things, Conor has never boxed at all, and Floyd has a drat near perfect defense against both the best regular boxers ever, and a complete wild card punchers like Maidana. Conor will be lucky to lay a hand on him.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Well conor is a big rangey southpaw with power who likes to apply pressure and has cardio issues. Floyd's legs will likely be super shot by the time the fight happens so it will be interesting to see how he deals with the pressure until conor tuckers himself out, and it will also be interesting to see if conor gets outmuscled in the clinch despite being ostensibly a more experienced grappler and much bigger

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/donfryefighter/status/874061715633303552

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

now we're talkin'

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

rematch takayama you coward

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

https://twitter.com/DonFryeFighter/status/874677427661754369

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

From the perspective of actual sport and competition there's absolutely none; when you think of it more as the combat sports equivalent of King Kong vs Godzilla, that's where the intrigue is. It doesn't matter that the fight doesn't make any goddamn sense, people are just jazzed by the idea of two megastars fighting.

That said, all my not-that-into-boxing friends were certain Pacquiao would beat Mayweather so it's not like you can't absolutely get people to believe McGregor would magically kill him.

A reminder that traditionally, Godzilla is a couple hundred feet tall, while King Kong is 25. I guess it is a pretty apt metaphor.

MourningView posted:

He gets tons of people to pay money to watch it which I think is maybe the goal??

He gets tons of people to watch him. They don't care about the rest of the sport. That's fine, there's no onus on them to do so, but it's hard to see the upside of heaps of people showing up to watch one fighter who shows no signs of longevity and seems to work to actively undermine everyone's perceptions of fighters who aren't him.

Gay Horney posted:

Except Conor is way bigger than Floyd and Floyd is like fifty and hasn't fought for a couple years. So there's a little more to this than myself and others are pretending. I will watch it and split the price of the PPV with friends and hell, maybe have a beer or two.

Conor is two centimetres taller and fought two months more recently than Floyd.

I.N.R.I posted:

when you really think about it, sport is just athletes competing for the entertainment of the general public

This the part that annoys me. The UFC tended to act, most of the time, like a sport, even though no one was forcing it to. You had stuff like Jon Fitch not getting a second title shot, but generally, the rankings more or less made sense and more or less dictated match ups. Now who loving knows, and Conor is a pretty big part of that. It's not about the abstract 'integrity of the sport' I just don't enjoy it as much anymore.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

haha

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

david carmichael posted:

Well conor is a big rangey southpaw with power who likes to apply pressure and has cardio issues. Floyd's legs will likely be super shot by the time the fight happens so it will be interesting to see how he deals with the pressure until conor tuckers himself out, and it will also be interesting to see if conor gets outmuscled in the clinch despite being ostensibly a more experienced grappler and much bigger

Floyd will still have enough in him to move for a few rounds, which is how long it will take Conor to get tired. But it won't matter because he will do what he's done to everyone he hasn't felt like moving against in the past decade and just stand in the middle of the ring hitting them repeatedly with right hand leads, then sit on the ropes and let them hit arms and shoulders when he wants a break.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

drat Don.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
And that guy was giving him a compliment too!

Anyways it saddens me-as one of the 5 (I think) regular posters in the boxing thread that this thread already has 2 pages but I can't lie that I'm a buyer of this fight even if it's not really anywhere near official as of yet. August 26th though would make sense for the reasons that Kevin Iole noted in that story that JaySB linked. Just sucks that he had to gently caress with the biggest boxing fight a in a while to do so because-if it happens on August 26th it will for sure take some of the air out of Canelo-GGG.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Legitimately more excited for Frye/Tyson than Conor/Floyd

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mike would KO Don and it likely wouldn't be pretty.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's nothing that would be pretty about a guy who was just in a 2.5-month coma fighting 7-10 months later

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I wish I could convince myself that Floyd is so shot that he couldn't easily handle Conor McGregor in a boxing match.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

big money big clit posted:

Floyd will still have enough in him to move for a few rounds, which is how long it will take Conor to get tired. But it won't matter because he will do what he's done to everyone he hasn't felt like moving against in the past decade and just stand in the middle of the ring hitting them repeatedly with right hand leads, then sit on the ropes and let them hit arms and shoulders when he wants a break.

It is so hard to find anything to disagree with here. But everything in my brain is telling me floyd will easily win, and i have never been right about anything

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Marching Powder posted:

I wish I could convince myself that Floyd is so shot that he couldn't easily handle Conor McGregor in a boxing match.

I don't think anyone is convinced or at least I'm not. But this isn't the sure thing for Floyd that everyone is falling all over themselves to make it out to be. Floyd's last fight was 2015 I'm not sure what that other idiot was talking about. Two years is a hell of a long time to think you're retired and we've all seen what being 40 does to dudes.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-sn-boxing-ufc-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-date-20170613-story.html

Lol

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

That's basically a re-hash of the Kevin Iole article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Monday Bandele posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geCXKT0hhdI
McGregor getting beaten to every punch by a 20-30 ranked welterweight

Not only does he seem to have a massive speed disadvantage, he also appears to have no defence apart from a couple of smartass head bobs.

• Locked thread