Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The off-season is my regular season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

mastershakeman posted:

Has any player besides Durant won a finals MVP immediately after switching teams, either via free agency or trade?

Moses Malone in 1983.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It'd be funny if the Warriors just sent like, Matt Barnes to the White House.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Didn't Iguodala do it too?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It'd be funny if the Warriors just sent like, Matt Barnes to the White House.

To fight Jared.

Also so far the only source of that WH snub rumor is the tweet saying it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mastershakeman posted:

Has any player besides Durant won a finals MVP immediately after switching teams, either via free agency or trade?

Im almost positive Moses Malone did

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's insane how many teams Moses Malone played on considering how great he was. Was he just a mercenary?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Good.

Can't wait for the think pieces on this one!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mastershakeman posted:

Pau but only in my heart

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That's too bad. Draymond could have dick kicked Trump and become an American folk hero.

"It's my natural handshake motion!" (everyone believes him this time)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Didn't Iguodala do it too?

he was already on the warriors for the last year of mark jackson

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
only 33 percent of NBA teams have won a finals compared to 50 percent in the NFL and 63 percent in the MLB? yikes

contract the league by 66%

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

only 33 percent of NBA teams have won a finals compared to 50 percent in the NFL and 63 percent in the MLB? yikes

Yes, there is no need to keep bad teams around, not when teams that have been good for their entire histories i.e. the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers are dominating the game.

Seriously, the fact the two dominant teams right now and Cleveland and Golden State are like, some of the biggest arguments against contraction ever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

toggle posted:

I don't want this Big Ball family near my favourite sports team, thanks :tipshat:

:same:

Give me Jackson, we can probably teach him to shoot

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's insane how many teams Moses Malone played on considering how great he was. Was he just a mercenary?

Only two real moves were him leaving a team in FA - Houston to Philly when he was a superstar top 5 player in the league, and then Washington to Atlanta when he was post-prime but still a good starter. All the other moves in his early career were trades or the team folding. Everything after Atlanta was just a broken down vet signing for whomever would have him.

Malone leaving Houston to sign for Philly was a huge deal. The Rockets went to the Finals in 1981, but then lost in the first round in 1982 even though Malone was the MVP. He teamed up with Dr. J in Philly. who lost to the Magic and Kareem's Lakers in the 82 finals. It'd be like Westbrook leaving OKC as a free agent this summer to sign for the Cavs.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 13, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I believe my man Moses Malone did it for the Sixers in 83.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ex post facho posted:

Football has a lot of variance and baseball is worthless for anything other than putting on the radio while drinking beer with your old man and explaining why baking makes you happy even if you'll never get rich doing it, imo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Actually baseball is good

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Who will win MVP in two weeks?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Football has a lot of variance and baseball is worthless for anything other than putting on the radio while drinking beer with your old man and explaining why baking makes you happy even if you'll never get rich doing it, imo

good points, op

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i kinda think im a spurs fan now. theyre one of the only franchises that has maintained constancy through great FO work without scraping the shook barrel. most of their talent is organic and in house and pop is still the best HC in thr league.

i love the nuggets but man it is exhausting knowing your team will never make the finals ever

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i will always hate manu tho. :colbert:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TBeats posted:

Who will win MVP in two weeks?

It will be the greatest player of all time, and King of not being shook, NBA Champion Kevin Durant.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

of all the times to get off the nuggets bandwagon, why now, a time where you guys have an incredibly exciting and unique young player with star potential.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mastershakeman posted:

Iggy, maybe?

E; proven wrong

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 13, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

of all the times to get off the nuggets bandwagon, why now, a time where you guys have an incredibly exciting and unique young player with star potential.

He's shook

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

He's shook

Like, if I'm a fan of a bad and/or small market team I look at the Golden State Warriors and go "Hey, this means this could happen to my team!" They drafted 3/4 of their stars and got a 4th despite historically being a huge loving joke of a franchise.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like, if I'm a fan of a bad and/or small market team I look at the Golden State Warriors and go "Hey, this means this could happen to my team!" They drafted 3/4 of their stars and got a 4th despite historically being a huge loving joke of a franchise.

They have five titles.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Congratulations to the good Golden State Warrior!

https://twitter.com/JaValeMcGee34/status/874498236613926912

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The Warriors are just coming in from a hard negotiation stance initially because they know they have to make a deal with The Don. If he wants to shake hands with them in the White House they are going to need Sessions to relax his draconian attempts to implement harsher penalties for smoking the devil's lettuce.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TBeats posted:

They have five titles.

From 1980- 2013 they had two 50 win seasons.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

yo the nuggets have never even made a finals lol

oh and they're owned by the kroenkes

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
sides i fully reserve the right to reassert my fandom its just kinda gonna be a cicada-like dormancy until lebron and curry retire cause what's the point for the next 3-5 years?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fast Luck posted:

Congratulations to the good Golden State Warrior!

https://twitter.com/JaValeMcGee34/status/874498236613926912

Javale being an NBA champ makes this all all right imo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What NBA teams came close to the Warriors in terms of accumulating star power in a single season? It feels like there have been a ton of "great" teams that had 2-3 stars of varying levels and then some guys, but I can't really think of another example where a team was seen as such a blatant cheat code in the last 30 years.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

sean10mm posted:

What NBA teams came close to the Warriors in terms of accumulating star power in a single season? It feels like there have been a ton of "great" teams that had 2-3 stars of varying levels and then some guys, but I can't really think of another example where a team was seen as such a blatant cheat code in the last 30 years.

The Heat acquired Bosh and Lebron, which is better than 1 Durant

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Warriors won 73 games last year with the unanimous MVP and they had to go out and get a loving ringer, :sad:

But seriously it's insane that LeBron averaged a Russell Westbrook in the Finals and got handily gentlemen-swept.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sean10mm posted:

I don't even feel like they cheated. They made wise pickups with vets, developed their own elite talent, and then finally added a piece because the first two steps allowed them a lot of cap space. It's no different than the Heat except it took them two years of the big 3 to add the vets. I see no difference between the Heat signing Lebron/Bosh while already having Wade and the Warriors picking up Durant.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Maybe the way the Celtics and Lakers stockpiled assets in the 80s? The Lakers getting Worthy was pretty crazy considering how good they were already. Walton to the Celtics was pretty cool too but he was more like Malone going to the 2000s Lakers. Had Bias not died maybe that Celtic team?

But in all those cases it was just adding one guy to an already HoF team, which I guess is the same as the Warriors unless your counting Durant as well as Javale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Doltos posted:

I don't even feel like they cheated. They made wise pickups with vets, developed their own elite talent, and then finally added a piece because the first two steps allowed them a lot of cap space. It's no different than the Heat except it took them two years of the big 3 to add the vets. I see no difference between the Heat signing Lebron/Bosh while already having Wade and the Warriors picking up Durant.

To be clear, I don't mean they literally cheated. I don't hate them for accumulating talent like they did. I just mean in terms of how subjectively unfair the roster was vs. everybody else in the league.

• Locked thread