Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There might be another file but I could tell from the error report. I have been traveling so I have not been able to dabble with it to see.

Also, I have not heard of a Minecraft version yet supporting moving the spawn to another dimension. My next idea is to provide a block for server owners to poo poo out a lobby in whatever overworld they get so it is managed for them.

I'm traveling, too, so this is just me trying to remember stuff at the moment, I can give more specifics in about a week. For the quest book, it just doesn't do anything; I spawn with a copy but can't open it. For the other dimension, I'm reasonably certain it was the same error I got when I tried the rattle before moving over any of the single player files. Or does MC generate an actual error report somewhere? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
So I finally got minecraft working somehow on my laptop, I get invasion going, turns out they nerfed ALOT of things, and would also explain why all the youtube LP stars are only playing a certain version. You only get one plank or so for every log, so many loving mobs, and so much much more.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Invasion feels positively relaxing after spending any serious time with COTT.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I didn't really understand the point of Invasion and got bored with it really fast

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I got the point, but the basic gimmick of the pack with the limited use crafting tables just doesn't add that much to the game with how easy they are to get. And once you take that out, it's a pretty bland modpack. Performs smooth, pretty free of bugs, and not bad, but nothing special, either. If I'd tried it before COTT instead of after, I might've had a very different opinion of it. The combat difficulty is just too low to give it the tension it needs.

I noped right the hell out of Journey to the Core when I first tried it after dying very early, which is another Darkosto modpack. May have to try that one again now that I've got a little more experience with modded MC.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 13, 2017

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Watching the Yogscast try Journey to the Core was... frustrating and hilarious at the same time.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

lucifirius posted:

Watching the Yogscast try Journey to the Core was... frustrating and hilarious at the same time.

I believe that's how all of their modpacks play throughs go (e.g. The Bomb). ;)

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Voltz is one of the series I haven't seen. They're all hilariously bad at Minecraft, and they've been playing Minecraft for years...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is it just me or are most of the frequently updated and well-curated modpacks just not on technic anymore

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Darkosto does extremely polished themed modpacks very well, and that polish counts for a lot. The lack of it is a huge part of what makes COTT hard to play at times. I love watching the guy stream. They're just not for me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

is it just me or are most of the frequently updated and well-curated modpacks just not on technic anymore

twitch launcher

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
gently caress Curse and the Twitch Launcher.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

lucifirius posted:

gently caress Curse and the Twitch Launcher.

Here here.

Is it stopping you playing if you dont merge? i havent booted it up today. Im hoping the message just says welp you lost your non existant account, but i can still just play mc

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

All I know is that when frenzy updates Grimdark it takes way more time to get approved on the Technic platform versus Twitch/Curse.

I still don't know what people dislike about the Twitch client.

Edit: all of the negative comments seem to be 'gently caress the Curse/Twitch client I'll never use it/never update because it's dumb' rather than 'I use it and I hate it.'

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 13, 2017

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Black Pants posted:

Curse is an unbelievably terrible company. The launcher's good though.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Also, I have not heard of a Minecraft version yet supporting moving the spawn to another dimension.

You can do it in 1.7.10 in single player and on servers, I manged to do it with Blood & Iron. To get it to work on a server takes some gimmicky poo poo, though. Let me know if you care to know how I did it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Threep posted:

Curse is an unbelievably terrible company. The launcher's good though.

I have yet to get anyone to give an example of why in recent years, particularly since they have done extremely well by the Minecraft modding community.

Yes, I know they did some bad poo poo in the past - and they have, by all appearances, done their best to not be terrible since then, for more than a year before they even touched Minecraft from what I saw, and it's been, what, over two years since Curse Forge and the Curse Voice app started? But a bunch of people act like they personally came to their house and shot their drat dog.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
As far as I can tell making your own modpack is the least hassle on Technic. The curse launcher is nice but requires you to get permission from every single mod author and I don't think the packs can be anything but 100% public.

I also don't think Technic was ever the epicenter for big popular packs in the sense that modpack authors gravitated there en masse, it was because the Technic team was making modpacks and all those modpacks were great. Once they stopped (was Blightfall the last one?) it all kind of dried up, leaving Technic to be the best DIY option while ATLauncher and then Curse ended up being where all the new hotness was.

I am disappointed that the Technic-branded modpacks seem to be no more, it's probably the only way we'd ever have seen Hexxit Gear for 1.10 :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

DIY modpacks are far, far, far easier on the Twitch nee Curse client. You literally browse a list of mods, and click once to add a mod. No finagling, no adfly, no config, no hunting down the right version, nothin' but click.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Black Pants posted:

All I know is that when frenzy updates Grimdark it takes way more time to get approved on the Technic platform versus Twitch/Curse.

That's because there is no approval process on technic, you can put literally anything you want in a technic pack, up to and including malicious code. The time difference is technic servers catching up and syncing with the client. curseforge (which is what the curse launcher now known as the twitch launcher uses) is way more secure and has way more features. Every pack file on curseforge is manually reviewed by an actual human. They can still make a mistake and let something slip through, but it's vastly superior to the wild west that is the technic platform. The twitch launcher makes creating a modpack a breeze. There's honestly no reason to even use technic anymore, other than nostalgia, or unless you like doing things the hard way. Technic team hasn't kept up and they haven't released a pack in idk how long. wana play a 1.2.5 modpack? but what about MultiMC or the ATLauncher are they better. No, they're both also just more work than using the twitch launcher.

Also the curse launcher and by curse launcher you mean the twitch launcher does not require you to get any permissions at all, everything on curse I mean twitch I mean curseforge is already good as far as permissions because one of the requirements for them accepting your mod onto curseforge is that you agree the mod can go into modpacks. Again, technic has no approval process, so you can put whatever mod you want into it, regardless of if the mod author is a screaming baby who likes to pretend permissions are real.

Slowpoke101 and those guys saw the future and they saw technic wasn't set up to handle it and they exploited an opportunity and built curseforge. Good men

frenzy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 13, 2017

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

As far as I can tell making your own modpack is the least hassle on Technic. The curse launcher is nice but requires you to get permission from every single mod author and I don't think the packs can be anything but 100% public.

Mods on Curse automatically have permission to be included in Curse modpacks. It's part of the terms of the platform. The days of going around begging for permissions is years past. The Curse/Twitch app makes it extremely easy to put together a basic pack in just a few minutes, as well, even easier than using Technic. (You still have to do config edits/Minetweaker stuff yourself, big surprise.)

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Serifina posted:

I have yet to get anyone to give an example of why in recent years, particularly since they have done extremely well by the Minecraft modding community.

Yes, I know they did some bad poo poo in the past - and they have, by all appearances, done their best to not be terrible since then, for more than a year before they even touched Minecraft from what I saw, and it's been, what, over two years since Curse Forge and the Curse Voice app started? But a bunch of people act like they personally came to their house and shot their drat dog.
The previous Curse launcher was widely known as a constant malware risk. It's not hard to see why people would be wary of the new one.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

DIY modpacks are far, far, far easier on the Twitch nee Curse client. You literally browse a list of mods, and click once to add a mod. No finagling, no adfly, no config, no hunting down the right version, nothin' but click.

Serifina posted:

Mods on Curse automatically have permission to be included in Curse modpacks. It's part of the terms of the platform. The days of going around begging for permissions is years past. The Curse/Twitch app makes it extremely easy to put together a basic pack in just a few minutes, as well, even easier than using Technic. (You still have to do config edits/Minetweaker stuff yourself, big surprise.)

I should have clarified. I meant DIY packs that you intend to share with a handful of people or more. I maintain a modpack for a server I run, and getting the pack to the people who play on it as easily as possible is my main priority.

I use Curse to put together packs for my own use all the time (I actually maintain my server pack using Curse because it makes updating mods super easy) but I don't see an easy way to share them that doesn't involve getting them approved by the Curse Council or whatever governing body allows modpacks to be accessible via the launcher. I also don't see a way to make a pack unlisted, which is a Technic feature I use for my server pack and value highly since I'm not interested in public scrutiny for a small, private server pack.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 13, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Fortis posted:

Yeah, I use Curse to put together packs for my own use all the time (I actually maintain my server pack using Curse so updating mods is easy) but I don't see an easy way to share them that doesn't involve getting them approved by the Curse Council or whatever governing body allows modpacks to be accessible via the launcher. I also don't see a way to make a pack unlisted, which is a Technic feature I use for my server pack and value highly since I'm not interested in public scrutiny for a small, private server.

There is no governing body, they're actually pretty chill dudes who spend their time making sure you don't get a virus or upset some basement nerds concept of permissions when you make a modpack. And why are you concerned with public scrutiny over a modpack? "Hey I don't like your modpack" oh no!

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Fortis posted:

I should have clarified. I meant DIY packs that you intend to share with a handful of people or more. I maintain a modpack for a server I run, and getting the pack to the people who play on it as easily as possible is my main priority.

I use Curse to put together packs for my own use all the time (I actually maintain my server pack using Curse because it makes updating mods super easy) but I don't see an easy way to share them that doesn't involve getting them approved by the Curse Council or whatever governing body allows modpacks to be accessible via the launcher. I also don't see a way to make a pack unlisted, which is a Technic feature I use for my server pack and value highly since I'm not interested in public scrutiny for a small, private server pack.

It's easy to make a modpack, just start a new modpack project on Curse, fill in some fields, and voila. You can even disable comments so you never have to hear from anyone and can pretend no one else is using your modpack. :)

SugarAddict posted:

So I finally got minecraft working somehow on my laptop, I get invasion going, turns out they nerfed ALOT of things, and would also explain why all the youtube LP stars are only playing a certain version. You only get one plank or so for every log, so many loving mobs, and so much much more.

For Minecraft 1.10+, there's Just Enough Dimensions which has:

quote:

initialSpawnDimensionId - The dimension ID of the dimension that the players will spawn in, when they join the world/server for the first time.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 13, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

You can do it in 1.7.10 in single player and on servers, I manged to do it with Blood & Iron. To get it to work on a server takes some gimmicky poo poo, though. Let me know if you care to know how I did it.

If it isn't too much of a bother, I'd at least like to know. For servers, I would be curious what it would be like to do with a dynamically-generated overworld.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Threep posted:

The previous Curse launcher was widely known as a constant malware risk. It's not hard to see why people would be wary of the new one.

Again, literally years ago - and the Twitch app (originally Curse Voice, then the Curse App, now the Twitch app) has been out for something like two years now and has proven to be absolutely no security risk at all. I could understand some wariness at first, particularly since it was pushy about social media on the app, but there's a difference between wariness and paranoia.

Fortis posted:

Curse approves every pack that follows their guidelines - which is to say, it doesn't include files that are already hosted in Curse, and any mod files you include that aren't hosted there are already on the permissions list (and there are very, very few mods you're likely to include that don't match one of these two), and that it matches the proper directory structure, easily done by building the pack using the Curse app. They aren't approving based on any value judgements or whatever you're worried about, just on whether it meets their basic requirements to work with the Curse app properly for downloading.

If you don't advertise your pack, nobody will know or care that it exists. Also you can disable comments on the pack page, so even if someone does notice it, they won't be able to make the snide remarks you're so concerned about.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

frenzy posted:

There is no governing body, they're actually pretty chill dudes who spend their time making sure you don't get a virus or upset some basement nerds concept of permissions when you make a modpack. And why are you concerned with public scrutiny over a modpack? "Hey I don't like your modpack" oh no!

Comments are annoying!! But as lolmer pointed out you can disable them which I forgot about.

If you can do a modpack without having to make a zip, it might be worth it, but if I still have to download the mods and zip them myself I'm not sure it'd be worth it to move from Technic.

Edit: gently caress maybe this is easier. I figured the FTB crazies would have made this insanely difficult but I haven't been keeping up with it. I'll look into it.

Edit 2: poo poo, you can just export the drat zip from the launcher.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 13, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
If you've watched the rise and fall of technic and curseforge (aka curse aka twitch launcher) then it's actually really interesting how the feedthebeast guys kind of saw the future of modded minecraft and built a platform that usurped the technic launcher as king of pack distribution. slowpoke101 talks a lot about it in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIa_LxMdNnQ

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

Comments are annoying!! But as lolmer pointed out you can disable them which I forgot about.

If you can do a modpack without having to make a zip, it might be worth it, but if I still have to download the mods and zip them myself I'm not sure it'd be worth it to move from Technic.

No, you build the pack in the Curse launcher, and use the Export function. It builds a sort of index file indicating which mods you have, adds your configs and script files, and builds a teeny tiny zip of only a few kb (unless you have a mod that's not on Curse in it) that you then upload for your pack file.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Serifina posted:

No, you build the pack in the Curse launcher, and use the Export function. It builds a sort of index file indicating which mods you have, adds your configs and script files, and builds a teeny tiny zip of only a few kb (unless you have a mod that's not on Curse in it) that you then upload for your pack file.

Yeah, I just discovered this. I didn't know they had made it this simple, I guess I let my goony biases from 2012 get in the way of seeing the Curse launcher/network for what it is.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Fortis posted:

Yeah, I just discovered this. I didn't know they had made it this simple, I guess I let my goony biases from 2012 get in the way of seeing the Curse launcher/network for what it is.

The reason for opposing all things non-technic was because the technic platform was goon built and didn't give any gently caress about permissions. if you're cool enough to be a mod author then you should be cool enough to have people putting mods in a modpack without your explicit permissions or whatever. This was a thing people got really upset about. but then the FTB guys just built the whole thing into the platform, the permissions are in the platform man, turns out when you satisfy mod authors need for permissions they're happier I guess and now we have this wonderful utopia where most Minecraft mods are in one place and easily accessible by anyone

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Black Pants posted:

Edit: all of the negative comments seem to be 'gently caress the Curse/Twitch client I'll never use it/never update because it's dumb' rather than 'I use it and I hate it.'

mostly i just liked how barebones the technic launcher is. i've updated the curse client to the twitch client and have been using it the past day or so, but i was just kind of sad that the one i'd used for so long doesn't really seem to have much going on anymore

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I mostly don't like Curse because the client has a bunch of 'features' I don't really care to use. I watch Twitch streams through VLC, I don't use Curse Voice, I don't plan on buying games from Twitch, and all I really want is the Minecraft mod stuff. And they apparently don't support Linux even if they've been 'planning' on it for a few years now.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Fortis posted:

So, not sure if this will sway or alter your opinion, but that "Curse Council" (I love that term) is actually headed up by Zeldo - my original co-dev on Thermal Expansion/CoFH. Curse liked the mod so much they hired him. And he leads that team.

And, Microsoft liked the mods so much they hired Cynycal - the artist from Thermal Expansion/CoFH. You've seen his work very recently if you watched the E3 reveal.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a fantastic degree in a field I really don't want to go into, while working in another field entirely and really just wanting to make video games. I feel like I screwed up somewhere along the line.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

lucifirius posted:

I mostly don't like Curse because the client has a bunch of 'features' I don't really care to use. I watch Twitch streams through VLC, I don't use Curse Voice, I don't plan on buying games from Twitch, and all I really want is the Minecraft mod stuff. And they apparently don't support Linux even if they've been 'planning' on it for a few years now.

This is fair. I don't use most of the Twitch app's features, I literally only use it for Minecraft modding stuff because it is the 100% most convenient way to do so, particularly since most of what I play is custom packs I assemble myself for my own fun and only sometimes share with others. Even at that, I often then transfer them into MultiMC for actual play because it has better support for logging and screenshots.

They do need to get off their asses and get Linux support done. It's ridiculous it's taking them so long.

KingLemming posted:

So, not sure if this will sway or alter your opinion, but that "Curse Council" (I love that term) is actually headed up by Zeldo - my original co-dev on Thermal Expansion/CoFH. Curse liked the mod so much they hired him. And he leads that team.

And, Microsoft liked the mods so much they hired Cynycal - the artist from Thermal Expansion/CoFH. You've seen his work very recently if you watched the E3 reveal.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a fantastic degree in a field I really don't want to go into, while working in another field entirely and really just wanting to make video games. I feel like I screwed up somewhere along the line.

I was not aware of this. How was I not aware of these things? drat.

...not sure what to tell you about your degree, man. Just know I love your mods. (Both the Minecraft and Stellaris ones.)

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Serifina posted:

I was not aware of this. How was I not aware of these things? drat.

...not sure what to tell you about your degree, man. Just know I love your mods. (Both the Minecraft and Stellaris ones.)

We didn't really make a big deal of it, but that is partially why everything after 1.7.10 was such a bear - they got hired on for new things, and I wrapped up my degree and got a "real" job.

As far as my situation, I guess the problem is that I'm cautious and maybe a little financially conservative. I got a PhD in electrical engineering, and I actually work as a cyber security consultant now. And frankly the pay is great and I don't *hate* my job or anything, it's just not really a passion. I'd have to crowdfund a hell of a large amount to warrant quitting and trying to make a real game.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

KingLemming posted:

As far as my situation, I guess the problem is that I'm cautious and maybe a little financially conservative. I got a PhD in electrical engineering, and I actually work as a cyber security consultant now. And frankly the pay is great and I don't *hate* my job or anything, it's just not really a passion. I'd have to crowdfund a hell of a large amount to warrant quitting and trying to make a real game.

See you in the Gamedev thread!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

We didn't really make a big deal of it, but that is partially why everything after 1.7.10 was such a bear - they got hired on for new things, and I wrapped up my degree and got a "real" job.
Definitely understandable. Beyond that and your life hitting... It's part of why I'm willing to be so patient. That, and your mods are some of the best quality stuff in modded Minecraft. :)

quote:

Well, if you do decide to look at making a game, I'd be curious and probably willing to support, even broke as I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Serifina posted:

Again, literally years ago - and the Twitch app (originally Curse Voice, then the Curse App, now the Twitch app) has been out for something like two years now and has proven to be absolutely no security risk at all. I could understand some wariness at first, particularly since it was pushy about social media on the app, but there's a difference between wariness and paranoia.
To be honest, if you've hosed up once in the software world with something like malware, you're always going to have users that are very reluctant to use your products. You can be all fine and good for years, but that sort of thing can create a reputation that's very hard to wipe out of peoples minds.