Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sean10mm posted:

To be clear, I don't mean they literally cheated. I don't hate them for accumulating talent like they did. I just mean in terms of how subjectively unfair the roster was vs. everybody else in the league.

You do raise a good point. The Lebron led Cavs with two legitimate all stars is still clearly behind a team that had the unanimous MVP last year, two all stars, and a generational super talent in Durant. You'd probably have to go back to the Celtics and Lakers rivalries to see imbalance like that, especially when the Lakers got KAJ from the Bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Steph was a 7
Klay a 11
Draymond was a second rounder
poo poo, even Barnes was a 7?

Good luck getting close to that level of talent at those picks anytime soon

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Libertine posted:

The Warriors are just coming in from a hard negotiation stance initially because they know they have to make a deal with The Don. If he wants to shake hands with them in the White House they are going to need Sessions to relax his draconian attempts to implement harsher penalties for smoking the devil's lettuce.

If The Art of the Deal taught us anything it is negotiate from strength or you lose everytime. Which is why Lebron has already called Adam Silver and told him he is going to retire to join the Browns if he doesn't arrange for us to get PG for JR Smith and a protected 2nd.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Doltos posted:

I don't even feel like they cheated. They made wise pickups with vets, developed their own elite talent, and then finally added a piece because the first two steps allowed them a lot of cap space. It's no different than the Heat except it took them two years of the big 3 to add the vets. I see no difference between the Heat signing Lebron/Bosh while already having Wade and the Warriors picking up Durant.

They made some savvy moves, sure, but Curry's ankles and the cap explosion were both extremely fortuitous events that made everything possible.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Never forget: the Warriors were prepared to trade Curry for Bogut but the Bucks took Monta instead.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Steph was a 7
Klay a 11
Draymond was a second rounder
poo poo, even Barnes was a 7?

Good luck getting close to that level of talent at those picks anytime soon

Giannis and kawhi were both 15
Jokic was in the second round
Jimmy Butler was late 20s
Gobert was late 20s
The talent is always there teams just have to identify who is it and develop it (which is hard)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Noctone posted:

They made some savvy moves, sure, but Curry's ankles and the cap explosion were both extremely fortuitous events that made everything possible.
Yeah, even with the Curry ankle discount, I'm pretty sure they couldn't have offered Durant a realistic contract if only there'd been cap smoothing. This team really shouldn't have been possible (not begrudging the union's decision if shooting down the cap smoothing was best for the players but just pointing out how unlikely this confluence of circumstances really was)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BWV posted:

Maybe the way the Celtics and Lakers stockpiled assets in the 80s? The Lakers getting Worthy was pretty crazy considering how good they were already. Walton to the Celtics was pretty cool too but he was more like Malone going to the 2000s Lakers. Had Bias not died maybe that Celtic team?

But in all those cases it was just adding one guy to an already HoF team, which I guess is the same as the Warriors unless your counting Durant as well as Javale.

I don't think these really compare, though they're as good as guess as I can think of myself.

The peak 80s Celtics had 3 stars up front (Bird/McHale/Parrish) and 2 guards that were nice but not amazing. And their depth was often kind of sketchy, Walton had like 1 season where he was good off the bench for them. Before McHale was a starter he was an epic 6th man... but then you're not starting McHale.

Worthy was rising as a star as Kareem was trailing off. Worthy became the guy we think of as HOLY poo poo WORTY in like 85-86, while Kareem was still a good center but clearly fading by then. I feel like the Lakers ultimately had deeper rosters than the Celtics generally, so they might be a better candidate, relatively speaking.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Metapod posted:

Gobert was late 20s
The talent is always there teams just have to identify who is it and develop it (which is hard)

Yet sometimes even with the #1 overall pick there is nobody worth drafting (Anthony Bennett). Finding elite talent in the NBA is stupidly hard, like finding an NFL QB.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Gobert was late 20s

In some fairness, a lot of it is luck. Golden State whiffed during that run too, but they hit pretty big on guys. Also, Curry's ankles magically healing and even Bogut able to stay relatively healthy has been really important during this 3 year run. The cap jump was what got Durant, pretty simple. Next time there is a jump people will probably forget this and argue against cap smoothing again.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Actually, Lockback, I think if you look into you'll find that every move by Golden State was deliberate. Joe Lacob has it all under control. The man is a genius and the team is light years ahead because of their adoption of unique disruptive strategies.

ex post facho posted:

yo the nuggets have never even made a finals lol

oh and they're owned by the kroenkes

genuinely sorry fr your team walmart owner who thinks he knows what the gently caress he's doing and will find a way to blow it once things start going good :[

https://vine.co/v/OWuFmidQqzW

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Never forget: the Warriors were prepared to trade Curry for Bogut but the Bucks took Monta instead.
Nope.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/03/22/shutting-warriors-urban-myth-no-not-ready-trade-either-curry-ellis-bogut/

There were serious talks of Klay and Draymond for Kevin Love though. Thank you Jerry West for calling everyone crazy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fast Luck posted:

Congratulations to the good Golden State Warrior!

https://twitter.com/JaValeMcGee34/status/874498236613926912

I find great comfort in this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was the cap jump and Westbrook also . If Russ wasn't insane he probably would have stayed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

Actually, Lockback, I think if you look into you'll find that every move by Golden State was deliberate. Joe Lacob has it all under control. The man is a genius and the team is light years ahead because of their adoption of unique disruptive strategies.

Joe Lacob gave Mark Jackson strict orders not to faith heal Curry's ankles until the contract and draft picks were all behind them.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So is there a hot new meme for the offseason? I assume 'Blown 3-1 lead' is now old news.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

BitterAvatar posted:

So is there a hot new meme for the offseason? I assume 'Blown 3-1 lead' is now old news.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/warriors-unanimously-decline-white-house-visit-per-reports/i7uecqAhFfD8e2pj8KAqKK/

First team to unanimously blow a white house visit with a 4-1 lead

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ok, grudgingly :thumbsup:

zoux posted:

It's a big loss to society that the stankiest face in history was made last night yet we'll never see it.

Russ gives no fucks about an NBA ring. He's got a ring that matters.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Joe Lacob gave Mark Jackson strict orders not to faith heal Curry's ankles until the contract and draft picks were all behind them.

collusion and wage fixing, straight out of the Google/Apple/Adobe/Intel playbook :cool: https://pando.com/2014/03/22/revealed-apple-and-googles-wage-fixing-cartel-involved-dozens-more-companies-over-one-million-employees/
(I believe the settlement was around $415m dollars and everyone blamed it on Steve Jobs [conveniently dead] "wow we were totally unaware of our own hiring practices" say remaining CEOs)

genius strategies from Silicon Valley can't fail to succeed, gotta love it

edit: hah just thinking about how often you CEOs saying to the public "for legal reasons I was totally unaware of the highly unethical and exploitative practices going on in my own company, but despite my willful ignorance I am still the most fit person on the planet to run the place, which is why I deserve these obscene piles of dragon-gold that would be unachievable to even our most highly salaried employee in a lifetime of work"

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 13, 2017

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
The Cavaliers blew a 3-1 series deficit despite having the arguable GOAT and the league's highest payroll

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Paperback Writer posted:

Nope.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/03/22/shutting-warriors-urban-myth-no-not-ready-trade-either-curry-ellis-bogut/

There were serious talks of Klay and Draymond for Kevin Love though. Thank you Jerry West for calling everyone crazy.

sure, Tim Kawakami's job is to produce content from the Warriors' perspective in exchange for access to the team, to the point of writing up some junk that doesn't actually challenge the only crucial piece of evidence:

Joe Lacob posted:

I’m getting chills talking about (Ellis) right now. He’s one of my favorite players in the NBA. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. I feel very strongly about him. It was incredibly difficult to trade him, but he’s the piece it had to be to get Andrew Bogut. We would have traded either (Curry or Ellis) to take the next step for this franchise

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/1708621-golden-state-warriors-nba-trade-monta-ellis-andrew-bogut-stephen-curry

Kawakami's evidence that the Warriors weren't willing to trade him is that his salary didn't match Bogut's and that the Bucks wanted Ellis lmao. Hmm I wonder if there's a more direct piece of evidence we could marshall here, such as the owner of the team admitting directly in an interview that the organization was prepared to trade Stephen Curry for Andrew Bogut..

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Warriors draft talk sent me down the memory lane of horrible draft nights and wasted lottery picks. gently caress you, Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Do you guys remember Summer League sensation Nikoloz Tskitishvili? His career history is pretty amazing:

That dude has seen a lot of lovely gyms.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Which one of the Warriors really wanted to go to the white house but kept his mouth shut because he didn't want to be a contrarian?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

EvanTH posted:

genuinely sorry fr your team walmart owner who thinks he knows what the gently caress he's doing and will find a way to blow it once things start going good :[

https://vine.co/v/OWuFmidQqzW

you know i do feel for NY fans, but at least the nba will always be entertaining just due to the massive population and insane hype that comes out of city

here in denver we rely on jr smith filling kenyon martin's brand new mercedes with popcorn for basketball excitement, and the occasional first round exit followed by a few more years of playoffs-less doldrums

ah the halcyon days of 2009, where the nuggets only shot at a championship in the last 40 years was derailed by an inbounds pass from anthony loving carter

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BWV posted:

Which one of the Warriors really wanted to go to the white house but kept his mouth shut because he didn't want to be a contrarian?

Zaza

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

BWV posted:

Curry

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BWV posted:

steph

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

EvanTH posted:

4 best postseasons of all time by WS/48
1) michael jordan
2) birdman
3) michael jordan
4) javale mcgee
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48

Do you put a games limit on this but not a minutes limit on this just to Leave out Kawhi?!?!

Dude seriously put up one of the best playoff runs in NBA history and I don't think anyone is going to remember by next year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the one thing I learned from that playoffs and finals is that Kevin love is really good.

He's come a long way since being a 6'5" doofus who gets in the way

He's a legit 6'10" now and is all over that court in positive ways

For the playoffs he shot 45% from 3 on 6.2 attempts and had a 29.7 drb%

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

i can PERSONALLY guarantee you it was not steph

it was definitely zaza or (irl trump fan) andre iguodala

euphronius posted:

I think the one thing I learned from that playoffs and finals is that Kevin love is really good.

which is gonna make the trade talks super weird and stupid

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

BWV posted:

its definitely iguodala lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Jack's Flow posted:

Warriors draft talk sent me down the memory lane of horrible draft nights and wasted lottery picks. gently caress you, Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Do you guys remember Summer League sensation Nikoloz Tskitishvili? His career history is pretty amazing:

That dude has seen a lot of lovely gyms.

If you aren't rooting for Foolad Mahan Isfahan I don't know what the gently caress you are doing with your life

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

his defensive issues are also massively oversold and probably should have far more of the offense running through elbow post ups from him than anything kyrie does. not really a knock on kyrie its just they can and should do more cool offball poo poo with klove initiating the offense cause hes such a threat there

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think it was Steph. He probably says he disagrees with Trump's policies but respects the office deeply and want's to hear "both sides" of the argument.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

Do you put a games limit on this but not a minutes limit on this just to Leave out Kawhi?!?!

Dude seriously put up one of the best playoff runs in NBA history and I don't think anyone is going to remember by next year.

It was for 16 games for 16-0 meme reasons, which wasn't a great idea in retrospect because I forgot that there used to fewer games until relatively recently.

Going by minute does look more like the list of GOATs, just for you:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48
1) LeBron age 24
2) Mikan
3) Jordan
4) Kareem
5) Wilt
6) Frank Ramsey
7) Kawhi

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

his defensive issues are also massively oversold and probably should have far more of the offense running through elbow post ups from him than anything kyrie does. not really a knock on kyrie its just they can and should do more cool offball poo poo with klove initiating the offense cause hes such a threat there

My arguments with Gendo from 2008 are finally vindicated.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BWV posted:

I think it was Steph. He probably says he disagrees with Trump's policies but respects the office deeply and want's to hear "both sides" of the argument.

Nah Steph was With Her, is deeply troubled by Trump's tendencies & opposes the Republicans attempt to dismantle the ACA

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I know we're not supposed to talk about Durant being a bitch but...

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD2_/status/874490374840037376

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD2_/status/874487220748660736

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

drat Sportscenter...
Talking about guys being "woke" and the bay not being racist and implying the administration is. And saying Ohio would have wanted the Cavs to go because they supported Trump... it's true but not used to ESPN being this political

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that there's actually no decent source claiming the Warriors WH thing.

• Locked thread