Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

Emron posted:

So now that I've hit R54, I...I just can't do it. I'm going to use a time warp for dragon challenge 3. I've got 10 days on faceless and 3.5 on titan. That's about 15 days I'd have to leave it running. I'm an impatient man.

this is fair, but keep in mind you're going to want all the dragon/faceless spells at tier 6 eventually and this is a good time to grind it out. on the other hand, i find the fact that a bunch of mechanics are tied to time spent and not something that can be sped up infuriating, so you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ijzer posted:

this is fair, but keep in mind you're going to want all the dragon/faceless spells at tier 6 eventually and this is a good time to grind it out. on the other hand, i find the fact that a bunch of mechanics are tied to time spent and not something that can be sped up infuriating, so you do you.

poo poo, you're right. Argh. I just don't want to let it sit for 15 days, that's super dumb.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Honestly, timewarps (and maybe an occasional excavation reset in very specific circumstances, keep like 6 rubies in your pocket for that just in case) are the best use of rubies anyway. And for a Hard Arbitrary Timegate motivated timewarp specifically, personally I'd even be ethically cool with using cheated rubies for this purpose. I already had the activity time when that challenge hit though, so I didn't need to.

Just make sure to give yourself a setup with really high mana regen that doesn't rely on spells running to work (offline regen ignores spells), and set every spell you want to tier up, to tier 1 autocast and not to have tax collection autocasting. You won't actually be casting the spells for your timewarp, but you can generate activity time with a somewhat convoluted formula.

One of the things in that formula is "how many spells are you autocasting" when it comes to figuring out how your regen plays against maintaining spell uptime. Tax collection autocasting when offline (or timewarping) would require more regen for the same uptime on everything else, so that's why you leave it off when you timewarp.

e: As a heads-up you'll eventually need 15 days of accumulated mercenary time for a research, although it's kinda of a meh research so it's not a functional priority like dragon challenge 3 (which has a very useful reward). That said, if you're planning on timewarping for any other spell tiers, consider doing it as mercenaries if you can get high enough mana regen.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 10, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Wait, do timewarps work for spell uptime and tier unlocks?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Yes, I used a timewarp to unlock T6 on a bunch of spells.

edit: just export your save before you buy the timewarp and if it didn't work like you wanted, reimport.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Emron posted:

Wait, do timewarps work for spell uptime and tier unlocks?

You need to have a particular one of the autocasting upgrades purchased for offline time (which timewarps count as) to count toward spell activity time, but yes, they work for that.

Still, like with everything else in tiers, the higher your R the less time you need.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Vil posted:

You need to have a particular one of the autocasting upgrades purchased for offline time (which timewarps count as) to count toward spell activity time, but yes, they work for that.

Still, like with everything else in tiers, the higher your R the less time you need.

Thanks! I went ahead and warped and now have tier 6 of all dragon/faceless spells. And holy moses did my production go up with a faceless build now.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Why does realm grinder use so much RAM (i see 350MB on my Nexus 5X)? Is it mining for cryptocurrency? :tinfoil:

Also anyone else having realm grinder crashing frequently?

I'm probably just holding my phone wrong, but I keep having the game go into Kongregate forums unintentionally, after which I immediately back out. Sometimes when I back out the whole game just crashes back to the android home screen and has to be restarted.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I downloaded Realm Grinder onto my Fire tablet and somehow it loaded my Kongregate save from when I briefly played the game 6+ months ago :tinfoil:

The text is very small and I can't imagine how anyone plays this on a regular phone.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I can't speak for the phone app version, but browser RG is vastly better behaved re: RAM if you're sensible enough to be using an adblocker in your browser. The game itself doesn't chew through RAM too substantially, but Kong ads are notorious poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just got into ascension and R44 is rough whoo boy. I read about spell tiers on the wiki and are these as insane as they seem to be?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Just got into ascension and R44 is rough whoo boy. I read about spell tiers on the wiki and are these as insane as they seem to be?

Yes. They're quite potent.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
They're certainly impressive, but these unlock requirements are pretty unreal.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Just get a few tiers for neutral spells and lightning strike and ignore them for a while. I think I got to R46 with CtA 2, GG 2, LS 2, and SS 2(which I rarely used). R46 has a lot of wait time so I managed to get CtA 4 and LS 3 in the process.

I'm on R54 now and am presently waiting to unlock dragon challenge 2. I got a 36 hour warp and still have probably 20 hours left on it :shepicide:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

They're certainly impressive, but these unlock requirements are pretty unreal.

They get lower every reincarnation. At R44, it takes about 16 days to unlock tier 6. By R77, it's down to 8 days.

It's intended to be a time-sink so people don't immediately out-pace the next content and then complain that there's nothing to do. It drives me crazy, personally. I just wish they'd make it so it's cumulative, so if you've already unlocked T5, it only takes about ~3 days to get to R6 after a reincarnation, instead of taking the full 8 days all over again.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Are the active time counts for spell tier timers per abdication or per reincarnation?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

AnonSpore posted:

Are the active time counts for spell tier timers per abdication or per reincarnation?

Active time this game is for the current abdication and time total is for the current reincarnation.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

for spell tiers i believe it is active time in the current reincarnation that counts. abdicating should be fine.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can safely abdicate for tier unlocks. Reincarnating will reset the unlock process.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I just restarted Realm Grinder after playing it a lot a year or two ago, and I'm confused about the trophy numbers. The total number isn't the sum of the subcategories, I can't see how the numbers in the subcategories make any sense either, etc. Can anyone explain? Thanks!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There are trophies "under" some of the ones you can see. So if you get the trophy for 100 farms, you'll see the next trophy, 150 farms, in that spot. You can hover over the icon to see how many are in that series.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

OK, but I still don't get how it adds up. For example, under Building Trophies, I have (skipping the ones that are only at 1):

total: 4/538

farm 3/21
inns 3/21
blacksmiths 2/21
warrior 2/21
knight jousts 2/21
wizard towers 2/21
cathedrals 2/21
citadels 2/21
town grinder 2/13

So no matter how I look at that I don't get how it adds up to 4/538. Either counting each trophy as 1, or adding within each trophy (e.g. farm would be 2).

Somehow this little detail is bugging me as I restart...

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

that's weird as hell. i've got all the building trophies and i'm at 538/538 so i guess it works out eventually.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Realm grinder chat/questions:

I am at R46, grinding coins to get to where I can actually do the Fairy part of the Dragon stuff. I have 1.5E30 banked and 6.5E30 in the abdication bucket, but I think I need to get to 1E31+ to do the fairy work?

-What is the deal with research S500? I have 37 artifacts total, so I haven't unlocked it, and pretty much every build seems to require it? From what I have seen online it just gives extra max mana based on number of artifacts found, and there are other researches that would give me even more?

- Prismatic Mana, wow, no idea that existed until I got caught up in this thread. You have to do that at the start of an R, right? I figure that will be a must do at the beginning of R47?

If S500 is really needed, what's the best way to get more artifacts? I think you have to have a high number of excavations, but you need to not be affiliated with Drow/Dwarf? Seems like that would take a looong time since it is low low chance to find those artifacts

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

Realm grinder chat/questions:

I am at R46, grinding coins to get to where I can actually do the Fairy part of the Dragon stuff. I have 1.5E30 banked and 6.5E30 in the abdication bucket, but I think I need to get to 1E31+ to do the fairy work?

-What is the deal with research S500? I have 37 artifacts total, so I haven't unlocked it, and pretty much every build seems to require it? From what I have seen online it just gives extra max mana based on number of artifacts found, and there are other researches that would give me even more?

- Prismatic Mana, wow, no idea that existed until I got caught up in this thread. You have to do that at the start of an R, right? I figure that will be a must do at the beginning of R47?

If S500 is really needed, what's the best way to get more artifacts? I think you have to have a high number of excavations, but you need to not be affiliated with Drow/Dwarf? Seems like that would take a looong time since it is low low chance to find those artifacts

With S500, while there may be other researches that give more Max Mana, depending on the Research type, they might be competing for room with other Researches that are better. You'll have to give an example so I can see what you mean

S500 is a lot of mana and a lot of mana regen from Druidline. The best way to get more Artifacts outside of spending Rubies is largely using offsite tools to check your excavation chances and Abdicating accordingly. It's all luck at the end of it all unfortunately.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

s400 is better except you have to do a long run to get it up higher than s500. so if it's a quick r (or early in a reincarnation) s500 is generally better.

there's no real guide to getting most artifacts. look up the conditions, check lara crypt, use a production build with e290 to get lots of excavations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Gahhhh, fine, I'll get sucked back in to Realm Grinder. Looks like I left off at R35. Does anyone have any links to guides or what not to show what builds I should be using and what goals I should be working towards at this level?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

headfake posted:

OK, but I still don't get how it adds up. For example, under Building Trophies, I have (skipping the ones that are only at 1):

total: 4/538

farm 3/21
inns 3/21
blacksmiths 2/21
warrior 2/21
knight jousts 2/21
wizard towers 2/21
cathedrals 2/21
citadels 2/21
town grinder 2/13

So no matter how I look at that I don't get how it adds up to 4/538. Either counting each trophy as 1, or adding within each trophy (e.g. farm would be 2).

Somehow this little detail is bugging me as I restart...
Not sure if this is the actual cause, but maybe try checking this setting if not already set?
Settings -> Adv. Options -> "Don't consolidate trophies"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Klungar posted:

Gahhhh, fine, I'll get sucked back in to Realm Grinder. Looks like I left off at R35. Does anyone have any links to guides or what not to show what builds I should be using and what goals I should be working towards at this level?

http://musicfamily.org/realm/PBuilds/

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ijzer posted:

s400 is better except you have to do a long run to get it up higher than s500. so if it's a quick r (or early in a reincarnation) s500 is generally better.

there's no real guide to getting most artifacts. look up the conditions, check lara crypt, use a production build with e290 to get lots of excavations.

Since I'm in the grindy part of things maybe I'll try S400 instead of S500. Its just that the build I have looked up all seem to require it, which didn't make a lot of sense to me. Even S30 over a long run seems like it would substitute.

In any case, looks like I'm grinding for coins so I can grind for fairies so I can do the dragon stuff, and then R47 is all about Prismatic Mana.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

peepsalot posted:

Not sure if this is the actual cause, but maybe try checking this setting if not already set?
Settings -> Adv. Options -> "Don't consolidate trophies"

Yup, the numbers make sense when I turn that on. With it off it's still weird.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

Since I'm in the grindy part of things maybe I'll try S400 instead of S500. Its just that the build I have looked up all seem to require it, which didn't make a lot of sense to me. Even S30 over a long run seems like it would substitute.

In any case, looks like I'm grinding for coins so I can grind for fairies so I can do the dragon stuff, and then R47 is all about Prismatic Mana.

S400 runs on this formula: floor(35 * x0.35) where x is Max Spells cast so unless you've grinded out Archwizard or something, it may or may not be better depending on your max spells. S30 is even more dire since it's floor(45x) where X is playtime in that Abdication in hours.

Edit: looking at the Math, S400 can definitely eclipse S500 so long as you're willing to devote a run to casting a few million spells (or essentially an Archwizard run)

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 13, 2017

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

headfake posted:

Yup, the numbers make sense when I turn that on. With it off it's still weird.

You're only seeing the trophies for the current factions buildings. There are way more buildings then what you listed spread out throughout good/evil/neutral/unique and it probably adds up to 538.

As soon as you get one of the trophies for those buildings, the pile of trophies for that building will show up

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Replaying Realm Grinder from the top, as previously mentioned, on my phone. I'm a bit frustrated because I've reached the end of R0 and can reincarnate but haven't actually unlocked the Drow yet, so I need to circle around and resolve that before I reincarnate... apparently I'm way behind on total spells cast. To unlock Drow for the first time it needs 10k total spells cast and I was at about 800... now my phone is sitting plugged in, autocasting tax collections for the side of the Angels. Great.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

due to changes in the game since the r0 guide was written, i believe you should be fine to leave the drow unlock until r3 if you'd prefer. it's mostly useful for premeditation and long merc runs (which are also a lot less necessary these days).

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

ijzer posted:

due to changes in the game since the r0 guide was written, i believe you should be fine to leave the drow unlock until r3 if you'd prefer. it's mostly useful for premeditation and long merc runs (which are also a lot less necessary these days).

Isn't there also an upgrade once both Drow and Dwarf are unlocked that makes it so both of their faction coins appear all the time instead of having to spend QAD coins on them?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ignoranus posted:

Isn't there also an upgrade once both Drow and Dwarf are unlocked that makes it so both of their faction coins appear all the time instead of having to spend QAD coins on them?

Is that what it is? I thought it was just once you hit a certain R.
But yeah, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to unlock Drow before you get mercs, even.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You're right, you no longer need the upgrade once you reach R3.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm closing in on R46 now. I don't suppose there's a build that'd let me take care of the demon and fairy bits at the same time with a merc build, so I can get in free double grinding on the spell tiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

unfortunately you have to be actual fairy for the unlock, not just casting fairy chanting.