Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Enfys posted:

How do you end up that badly underwater on an economy car?

By lacking the experience or sense to recognize when a scummy dealer is taking you for a ride, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ixian posted:

Jesus.

I don't care how high your salary is, 130k+ for a single day is loving ridiculous. Christ, that kind of money would buy an incredible two-three week honeymoon all over the world and even *that* would be BWM.

It sure would; 130k would last for multiple years of luxurious world travel.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Enfys posted:

Debt collectors: GWM, BWL

I just saw that the US Supreme Court has ruled that the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act doesn't apply to companies that buy debts.

The Act prevents debt collectors from doing things which would be considered abusive, deceptive or unfair. The companies that buy debt for pennies on the dollar will not be bound by this Act, so they are free to be as scummy and abusive as they like.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/06/12/business/12reuters-usa-court-debt.html?_r=0

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/neil-gorsuch-writes-first-opinion-as-supreme-court-justice/article/2625661

Cool I'm sure Congress will fix it

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I know you're being facetious.

Cue an outraged John Oliver proselytizing his audience with clips of Congressmen shown to have investments in debt collection companies.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Enfys posted:

How do you end up that badly underwater on an economy car?

If you are truly BWM - and I have no doubt that poster is - it's easy to do by rolling in *other* underwater loans from previous cars. There's a whole industry that will find ways to let you do that no matter what your credit. Predatory for sure but no one held a gun to this idiots head making him do it either.

LLCoolJD posted:

I know you're being facetious.

Cue an outraged John Oliver proselytizing his audience with clips of Congressmen shown to have investments in debt collection companies.

Oliver's sanctimonious preaching drives me nuts. He's the Rush Limbaugh ditto-head collector for the left.

As much as folks love to view the Supreme Court as the way to fix all societies ills that the other two branches won't they aren't wrong in this case. It is Congresses job to write the laws they want enforced, not the courts job to say "well, we think they really should have done this too".

Whether they will do it or not (and right now we know they won't) is unfortunately another problem but that isn't the job of the court to correct.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enfys posted:

The companies that buy debt for pennies on the dollar will not be bound by this Act, so they are free to be as scummy and abusive as they like.

So business as usual?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
How do you spend 250,000 on flowers?

Did they acquire an entire village's poppy harvest in Afghanistan?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Randler posted:

It's typical for a wedding to feature 2-3k of flowers in a major city. Do you think the flowers actually cost 2-3k? It's mostly profit for the florist.

Imagine using the most renowned florist you can find, and gently caress off centerpieces that are so big that the guests on opposite sides of the table can't see one another.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Randler posted:

Did they acquire an entire village's poppy harvest in Afghanistan?

$5k in plants.
$5k in labor.
$240k in profit.

There is nothing quite so high margin as the high end wedding business. Or, for that matter, the wedding business in general. Take a bunch of highly emotional decisions, mix them in with a bunch of family from both sides who are all only talking to one another because two of them decided to get together, and figure out the most efficient way to extract money from the situation.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ixian posted:

$5k in plants.
$5k in labor.
$240k in profit.

There is nothing quite so high margin as the high end wedding business. Or, for that matter, the wedding business in general. Take a bunch of highly emotional decisions, mix them in with a bunch of family from both sides who are all only talking to one another because two of them decided to get together, and figure out the most efficient way to extract money from the situation.

I play in a guitar duo and occasionally get hired to play small events and receptions and such, and our running joke is that 'wedding' is Latin for 'stick an extra zero on the end of the cheque'.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

It's the tax for dealing with those people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

darkwasthenight posted:

I play in a guitar duo and occasionally get hired to play small events and receptions and such, and our running joke is that 'wedding' is Latin for 'stick an extra zero on the end of the cheque'.

This is absolutely true.

My employer was booking an event for an employee party in June. They spoke with the venue to get a quote and gave them the requirements (100+ people, food, etc) and the venue gave them a price that was way outside the budget.

The girl in charge of planning it said, "No thanks, we can't work at that price."

The venue said, "You aren't going to be able a venue for a wedding that provides the benefits that we do. We also include our lovely arbor!"

Our employee told her that it was for an employee party and they told us they could do it for about 65% of the original quoted price.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ixian posted:

Oliver's sanctimonious preaching drives me nuts. He's the Rush Limbaugh ditto-head collector for the left.

As much as folks love to view the Supreme Court as the way to fix all societies ills that the other two branches won't they aren't wrong in this case. It is Congresses job to write the laws they want enforced, not the courts job to say "well, we think they really should have done this too".

Whether they will do it or not (and right now we know they won't) is unfortunately another problem but that isn't the job of the court to correct.

I don't want to turn this into a John Oliver derail but I'm real curious because I've met a lot of people who find him insufferable and I'm wondering like, how would you set up a show that does a similar thing (draw attention to a different topic each week about how poo poo's hosed, in a way that's entertaining rather than serious so The Darn Millennials will actually watch it) that wouldn't come off as "preachy"? Like I get why people hate John but I think the idea for the show is pretty good / important and i'd like to know if there's a better, uh, "version" of it out there or if one could even be made?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I don't want to turn this into a John Oliver derail but I'm real curious because I've met a lot of people who find him insufferable and I'm wondering like, how would you set up a show that does a similar thing (draw attention to a different topic each week about how poo poo's hosed, in a way that's entertaining rather than serious so The Darn Millennials will actually watch it) that wouldn't come off as "preachy"? Like I get why people hate John but I think the idea for the show is pretty good / important and i'd like to know if there's a better, uh, "version" of it out there or if one could even be made?

I don't think anyone has really tried, and I agree that it's more the ideology that people disagree with rather than the substance of the show. The book Everybody Lies (which needs a better title) covers this pretty well: the author presents evidence based on Google searches on how preaching tolerance doesn't work, and it is generally better to stir curiosity if the intent is to change people's minds.

It probably all ties back to the same notion that our political views are calcified, and evidence in favor of them is treated as incontrovertible while evidence against is discarded.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eldred posted:

I don't think anyone has really tried, and I agree that it's more the ideology that people disagree with rather than the substance of the show. The book Everybody Lies (which needs a better title) covers this pretty well: the author presents evidence based on Google searches on how preaching tolerance doesn't work, and it is generally better to stir curiosity if the intent is to change people's minds.

It probably all ties back to the same notion that our political views are calcified, and evidence in favor of them is treated as incontrovertible while evidence against is discarded.

One of my friends said the problem was that he was "like fox news for the left," and that John Stewart was "more fair and thorough," though they're not a dumb ~truth is in the middle~ type person and are pretty far left themselves so I'm not really sure what to make of it. Then again I really have zero experience with John Stewart, I've watched maybe like one episode of the daily show?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

One of my friends said the problem was that he was "like fox news for the left," and that John Stewart was "more fair and thorough," though they're not a dumb ~truth is in the middle~ type person and are pretty far left themselves so I'm not really sure what to make of it. Then again I really have zero experience with John Stewart, I've watched maybe like one episode of the daily show?
I think his show is pretty reasonable most of the time. And I am a far right person. The issue is that sometimes he does slip up bad, and when the whole premise of your show is about other people's fuckups, you yourself should *never* gently caress up big.

By gently caress ups, I am referring to relatively straightforward economics errors like that dumbass from earlier that didn't understand the definition of public goods. I am not referring to values since these are subjective, I am referring to his proposed execution concepts.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
John Oliver has the problem of being a smarmy Brit come to tell the Colonials what they are doing wrong. (love his show)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

Probably her horse's name.

She also uses an @aol.com email address:

Her client base probably sees an AOL.com email address as something extra trustworthy. They don't just hand those out to anyone, you know.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The whole Drumpf thing kinda turned me off to John Oliver. Like ok Trump making fun of people for changing their name is bad, got it. But then turning around and making fun of Trump for one of his ancestors changing their name and then selling merchandise with the old name on it rubbed me kinda wrong. Doesn't that put us literally exactly where he was? Shouldn't we be above the name-calling of the Republican party, rather than criticizing it and then immediately sinking to their level?

There's like, entire warehouses of things to criticize Trump about. Pretty much everything about him is terrible. But for some reason John Oliver picked name-calling. It just sits wrong with me.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ranbo das posted:

The whole Drumpf thing kinda turned me off to John Oliver. Like ok Trump making fun of people for changing their name is bad, got it. But then turning around and making fun of Trump for one of his ancestors changing their name and then selling merchandise with the old name on it rubbed me kinda wrong. Doesn't that put us literally exactly where he was? Shouldn't we be above the name-calling of the Republican party, rather than criticizing it and then immediately sinking to their level?
Didn't he do this specifically because Trump gave somebody a hard time about their name though? Maybe I'm misremembering but it seemed like clear satire at Trump's hypocrisy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hoodwinker posted:

Didn't he do this specifically because Trump gave somebody a hard time about their name though? Maybe I'm misremembering but it seemed like clear satire at Trump's hypocrisy.

Unless Trump was the one who changed his last name, it's not hypocrisy?

That's like saying that calling out your relatives for being BWM in the BWM thread is being a hypocrite.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

It sure would; 130k would last for multiple years of luxurious world travel.

That's way over the top.

Business/first class tickets are ridiculously expensive. We're not even talking about private planes here.

A night at a fancy resort with an ocean view is at least $1-2k.

I don't know what your definition of luxurious is but I can't imagine that it involves flying in economy.

The average American wedding costs around $25k. When you take that into account, a wedding of $150k sounds almost reasonable for people who I bet make way more than 6x the average American.

Some of you guys have seriously limited imaginations.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly, if you belong to that high a class of society, I don't see even a few million as an issue. Like the groom said, he can afford it and wants to enjoy himself. And this is coming from an extreme FI person. What is the big deal?

If Bill Gates wants the wedding to be held on a artificial island in the shape of his daughter's face, then Bill Gates loving gets a artificial island in the shape of his daughter's face.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

potatoducks posted:

The average American wedding costs around $25k. When you take that into account, a wedding of $150k sounds almost reasonable for people who I bet make way more than 6x the average American.

$25K before or after money gifts factored in?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

potatoducks posted:

That's way over the top.

Business/first class tickets are ridiculously expensive. We're not even talking about private planes here.

I don't know what your definition of luxurious is but I can't imagine that it involves flying in economy.

I can easily imagine people spending that much, since we are discussing an actual time when they did. :confused:

eta: I don't get when people in this of all threads seem to take the position that spending a huge amount of money on stupid poo poo isn't being bad with it if you have a lot.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BWM thread arguing that spending $150k on a wedding is not actually BWM

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

potatoducks posted:

That's way over the top.

Business class tickets are 4k-10k USD depending on airline, when you go, and where. I travel business for work and have done it more than a few times for vacation. Nice way to go, expensive, but not *that* expensive.

I could spend two weeks in Bora Bora on a private over-water luxury cabana, business class there and back, for 20k if I wanted, and that would be blowing it out. About the same for the Maldives on an even more luxurious property. $150k for vacations would go a long way is my point and that doesn't mean vacations where you'd be taking the bus to a Holiday Inn.

You can be BWM even if you have tons of it, BWM is what it is, only the consequences change. If he makes "good money" and that means he is a W-2 employee who makes 300k+ year (which is certainly Good Money) then he is being a complete idiot. If he is a trust fund kid with $25m+ sitting in investments than he can still be BWM, it just doesn't matter as much because his money is pulling that in on a quarterly basis just sitting in a fund. I suspect, but don't know, it is closer to the former than the latter.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is absolutely true.

My employer was booking an event for an employee party in June. They spoke with the venue to get a quote and gave them the requirements (100+ people, food, etc) and the venue gave them a price that was way outside the budget.

The girl in charge of planning it said, "No thanks, we can't work at that price."

The venue said, "You aren't going to be able a venue for a wedding that provides the benefits that we do. We also include our lovely arbor!"

Our employee told her that it was for an employee party and they told us they could do it for about 65% of the original quoted price.

When I was planning our wedding, I saw an article on The Knot about 5 things your fiance will do. One was balk at the prices, and the article said you needed to have other quotes ready to demonstrate that $5,000 is actually a good price for a wedding cake.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

When I was planning our wedding, I saw an article on The Knot about 5 things your fiance will do. One was balk at the prices, and the article said you needed to have other quotes ready to demonstrate that $5,000 is actually a good price for a wedding cake.

I'm glad that wasn't around when I got married because we spent like $600 on ours and I still think it was ridiculous, not to mention the single most expensive dessert I have ever bought. And it was a nice cake too. $5k? Jesus.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Ixian posted:

I could spend two weeks in Bora Bora on a private over-water luxury cabana, business class there and back, for 20k if I wanted, and that would be blowing it out. About the same for the Maldives on an even more luxurious property. $150k for vacations would go a long way is my point and that doesn't mean vacations where you'd be taking the bus to a Holiday Inn.

The guy originally said that $150k would last for "multiple years of luxurious travel". Using your numbers, it wouldn't even last 4 months.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Droo posted:

The guy originally said that $150k would last for "multiple years of luxurious travel". Using your numbers, it wouldn't even last 4 months.

Fair enough and I think this particular derail is drifting in to "no, *I'M RIGHT GODDAMMIT*" territory so let's call it :)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You get into murky territory, efficiency-wise, when you're already so filthy loving rich that "maxing your retirement accounts" is a blip on the radar in terms of wealth management. The rules break down, like exotic matter at super low temperatures or being a white person on trial for white-collar crime. Sure, you could donate that seven figures to cancer research or open a women's shelter, but when your precious little girl or tantrum-throwing little boy looks at you with those round, glassy eyes (maybe the Vicodin's kicking in) and says, "Daddy I need one, maybe two thoroughbred horses at my wedding." I mean, what's a father to do? What are we, savages? I remember when your grandfather used to sit me on his knee and tell me the story about when he tore the liver out of a still-living Nazi soldier with his bare hands while fighting in the War. Inside of that liver he found a nodule which when you held it just right up to the light looked like an American Bald Eagle. And he said, "That's how I knew the American Dream was still alive." And I believe him now to this day. My child will get married to their partner, a person with good bone structure and a name like "Kegan" or "Serah" or "Werstal" and there will be horses, damnit. There will be so many loving horses. The entire wedding party will be riding horses. Our god-fearing protestant minister will be riding a chestnut brown Belgian. Afterwards the horses will race, and the winner will be thrown into a crowd of women to determine who will be the next lucky bride. Horsemeat hors-d'oeuvres. A multi-layered chocolate cake, which itself will sit resting on a chocolate-colored living horse. My little girl will get her loving horses! Just like her grandfather wouldn't give his sweet daughter even though she had to take the hush money from the unnamed senator so they wouldn't drag his name through the mud in court. Horses! Horses!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Friends of my roommate spent 3k on flowers for their wedding. 3k in plastic flowers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Huns used to conduct business, diplomacy and politics seated on horseback.
Some employers are combining workouts with job interviews.
http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2017/06/12/exercise-during-interviews/

Will we see horse interviews someday? Will business students take a class learning the etiquette of horse interviews?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

monster on a stick posted:

Unless Trump was the one who changed his last name, it's not hypocrisy?

That's like saying that calling out your relatives for being BWM in the BWM thread is being a hypocrite.

Jon Stewart's birth name was Jon Leibowitz. His father was abusive to his mother and Jon. Jon no longer has a relationship with his father.

Jon changed his last name to Stewart (his middle name) to erase his ties to his father. Donald Trump refused to call him anything other than "Jon Leibowitz" because he thought he was doing it to hide his Jewishness which biased him against Trump somehow.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

The Huns used to conduct business, diplomacy and politics seated on horseback.
Some employers are combining workouts with job interviews.
http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2017/06/12/exercise-during-interviews/

Will we see horse interviews someday? Will business students take a class learning the etiquette of horse interviews?
You can make love on a horse too, y'know. Really makes you think.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Friends of my roommate spent 3k on flowers for their wedding. 3k in plastic flowers.

At least they can dust them off and use them at their next wedding too.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jon Stewart's birth name was Jon Leibowitz. His father was abusive to his mother and Jon. Jon no longer has a relationship with his father.

Jon changed his last name to Stewart (his middle name) to erase his ties to his father. Donald Trump refused to call him anything other than "Jon Leibowitz" because he thought he was doing it to hide his Jewishness which biased him against Trump somehow.

Hello, Mr. Trotsky, and welcome to the discussion about how Trump is a hypocrite because one of his ancestors changed his last name but he refused to acknowledge Jon Stewart changing his last name.

A fuckton of Americans have ancestors that changed their last names, or had them changed, for all sorts of reasons, mine included.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think we can all agree that dying with your money left unspent is BWM. Within this context, deliberately willing your money to your children counts as "spending" it.

If you have 25 million, you literally have to spend at that type of level simply to expend up your wealth. Think of how your department acts when the fiscal year is about to close. It is your duty to spend it all up or next fiscal budgeting you are gonna get hammered. This is simply the personal version of our corporate lives.

Quite frankly, I consider it BWM if you are not splashing out big on your wedding when you are at that level of society. Once again, I am a extreme FI-er.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

John Smith posted:

I think we can all agree that dying with your money left unspent is BWM.

If I keeled over right now, a bunch of my money is going to charity. If you want to call that BWM, I'll humbly disagree.