Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Hahaha it's Metroid 2. I wonder if they're gonna bring any improvements from AM2R

Amibos. Please by our plastic one-use DLC keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought Sakamoto wasn't involved in the series anymore

he isn't, he's been shoved in a closet and is only allowed to work on miitomo games now.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think anyone ever said that, sounds like speculation given the internet backlash against him for Other M

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Metroid 2, get the gently caress in

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The kid that did the 2D remake of Metroid 2 a while ago just got shat on.

No one's going to remember your crap now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Steve2911 posted:

Digging it, but why are 3DS games all so loving hideous?

The 3DS screen is loving awful and it's got piss poor processing power.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Strange Matter posted:

Not really. Galaxy's levels were all essentially stand-alone platforming tracks and challenges, whereas this is more in the vein of Sunshine and Mario 64 where the levels are more about exploring the terrain and environment instead of just navigating it.

Galaxy was saying "here's this specific challenge we've engineered for you to do go. Get to the end" whereas this is more like "Go to this big, open, interesting area and figure out how to accomplish a certain thing." Both approaches are of course valid but between the Galaxy games and then the Mario 3d World games we've pretty much had 15 years of iterations on the same design philosophy.

That really was just 64 and the aberration to the usual Mario design paradigm, Sunshine was highly regimented and spawned in obstacles on a shine by shine basis so it really is much closer to Galaxy.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kirios posted:

lmao what if it turns out the fan game is better

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Kirios posted:

AM2R is really good though and everyone should play it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kirios posted:

Don't be a dick. He did an amazing job and his game was, visually, far better than this.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Not a Children posted:

this is made by the people who made mirror of fate so it will be

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Not a Children posted:

Doubtful. AM2R is really good, but the boss fights against the evolved Metroids suck.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
this will probably have better bosses than AM2R

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
MercurySteam :lol: yeah I'm going to have to wait on this one fam. Sakamoto is on this one as well. We'll always have A2MR

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So it turned out that Nintendo had their own Metroid 2 remake going on this whole time?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the parries+aiming are cool

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Steve2911 posted:

Don't be a dick. He did an amazing job and his game was, visually, far better than this.

Plus he has a real Zen approach to the whole thing. Make AM2R basically taught him how to program and get a job as a software developer.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys no one's going to care about AM2R, this is an official Nintendo game.

At best you'll be the nerds in the corner of the room, raising your glasses, and talking about this dumb fan remake while everyone else just rolls their eyes at you.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Oh Mercury Steam, who made that terrible 3DS Castlevania game :smith:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

"For people that didn't play Metroid 2" - isn't this most people at this point?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kirios posted:

Also not made by Nintendo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

How on Earth did MercurySteam fail upwards into doing a new Metroid? Was killing Castlevania not enough?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kirios posted:

At best you'll be the nerds in the corner of the room, raising your glasses, and talking about this dumb fan remake while everyone else just rolls their eyes at you.

How sad would it be if it was still better, though? Because that's pretty likely when we're talking about Mercury Stream

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Kirios posted:

I just played through AM2R and it was really well done. This looks different enough that AM2R can still fill its niche.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i didn't play whatever castlevania game yall are talking about but this metroid game looks fine so far

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nephzinho posted:

I played Metroid 2 at release!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Pauline is the Mayor of New Donk City

the deepest loving lore

Betw en this and all the possession poo poo you just know this is giving that game theory guy a massive hardon

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The well has already been poisoned. There will forever be arguments about which is better: Samus Returns or AM2R no matter how good or bad Samus Returns turns out to be.

I can't loving wait to get my hands on it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay found it, I guess this is what people meant http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/15/sakamoto-and-the-future-of-metroid

quote:

In an interview with CVG, Sakamoto, director of Super Metroid and Metroid: Other M, was asked whether he plans to return working on more traditional game series, since he's currently serving as a producer on Tomodachi Life. "I do not intend to do so," Sakamoto replied. "There might [currently] be various tasks I might be involved in with past series. However, even if so, I would always like to introduce new entertainment and new fun to those series.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nephzinho posted:

With how Nintendo has treated the VC, yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All I now is that just from what they're showing this looks good so I'm not going to freak out about supposedly bad developers

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm really digging the animation on Samus here. Looks surprisingly smooth and confident.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

All I now is that just from what they're showing this looks good so I'm not going to freak out about supposedly bad developers

People are going to latch onto the scan as dumbing it down, don't worry

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The graphics might not be great, but the music sounds amazing at least.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kirios posted:

name 1 good mercurysteam game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The REAL Goobusters posted:

MercurySteam :lol: yeah I'm going to have to wait on this one fam. Sakamoto is on this one as well. We'll always have A2MR

lmao nintendo

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

nintendo has brought bad guys under them and made them do good things before

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
scan pulse? ehhh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So to be fair, I know Mirror of Fate was terrible, but they were building off of the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow style of gameplay and trying to translate it into 2D. They weren't trying to make a classic 2D Castlevania. It's possible this Metroid 2 remake will be better than Mirror of Fate because they're just trying to do more Metroid, just with a few more action game tricks.

Of course it's also very possible it'll suck and the exploration will be all hosed like Other M so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, I don't remember that bad Castlevania game, but I do remember thinking it looked awful when they showed it at E3. This looks good so it probably will be.

• Locked thread