Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hav posted:

You know what else would work? Getting your missions via some sort of portable device or screen, a little like they did in 2017. All this bullshit about walking up to an NPC that feels human is so far into the future that it's laughable, let alone the immersion-breaking of having to stare into someone's eyes to get their attention.

Use a loving email or a video call, not having to burn time/energy going to a particular goddamned bar. The Inn/Patron hub was old when D&D used it.

They're loading detail into something that will still devolve to 'go to waypoint, do something'. We have years, literally years, of MMO design that still devolves to the most efficient method.

Not completely. Its the egg in the cake mix.

Earlier cake mix recipes in the 60's had everything needed in powder form, just add water, mix, bake and voila, delicious cake. Guess what ? They did not sell, like, at all, untill some psychomarketer genius told the industry to let the buyer add a single egg to the mix. Just adding water made the cake some kind of "not good for you, machine made slurry" in the buyer mind. But by having to crack an egg it turn into a quick cooking a home desert.

Picking your mission from a drop down menu availabe anywhere make you feel like a cog in a machine. Having to walk a little, see the sight, spot the npc and press <use> turn it into an adventure. You just have to find the right spot between making the player walk all over the map for no good reasons and giving all the quests from a single billboard right beside the savepoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

For the period since the last report, the average concurrent user counts for SM, AC, and racing were 23.33, 32.75, and 3.21 respectively.

Thanks. Any way you can share the calcs behind?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yakuza 0 son, Yakuza 0.
already beat and done

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Where is 3.0 being in the hands of Evocati well before mid-June?

Scratch that.

Where is 3.0 evocati "very very soon" right atfer New Year´s:

On Jan 3rd ManofManyAliases posted:

-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.
Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Not really. Just surprised they'd pull the same stunt, two years in a row.
I think it just goes to show how hosed things are when a salesman starts to believe his own pitch

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
right now is prime "let's work on a gamescom demo" time, but they are having to create a real, tangible update instead

things are hosed for them this year

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, but it's not. Apparently TheAgent is insinuating that they just pulled the same stunt with Intel. Unless I got that wrong? :shrug:

Rereading it yeah that's how I would interpret it too because thinking back more wasn't the amd one told by a dude in a abar and they sent a DVD over of just the raw vids and then CC'd the whole company one some weird escapist-lite letter. Or maybe not and that's just a fevered imagining. It would be really really weird that they'd want to screw with the two biggest hardware people out there though

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Lol Lethality

I'd love a citation for the big studios spending a lot more, because Star Citizen is well into the top 10 of most expensive games ever, even including marketing and inflation

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I took a look at it this morning when I added the link to my F24 (UK) financials post from yesterday. Ho Lee poo poo. I don't even think backers are aware of all this crap that's been promised, and silently ignored and/or walked back.

One of the things I've noticed from the financials is that I think it's now reasonable to say that Foundry 42 Ltd paid for the motion capture and it was lower than a lot of the numbers that have been jokingly suggested.

It seems like they never booked major time with the big names so it was maybe a day for Oldman ranging down to a week or more for the lesser actors with not many in the studio together and seemingly little/no overlap studio time for the big names. Realistically that's going to be in the hundreds of thousands each. Hiring the Imaginarium for a couple months was probably £500k to £600k at the very most.

I think the total one-off cost of the major two month long motion capture in 2015 was probably in the region of ~£3m, which was ~$4.6m of your 2015 dollars. Reshoots would be on top of this but not nearly as costly.

As has been mentioned by The Agent though, getting that motion capture data actually usable requires significant man hours/expenditure after the fact.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

You know what else would work? Getting your missions via some sort of portable device or screen, a little like they did in 2017. All this bullshit about walking up to an NPC that feels human is so far into the future that it's laughable, let alone the immersion-breaking of having to stare into someone's eyes to get their attention.

Use a loving email or a video call, not having to burn time/energy going to a particular goddamned bar. The Inn/Patron hub was old when D&D used it.

They're loading detail into something that will still devolve to 'go to waypoint, do something'. We have years, literally years, of MMO design that still devolves to the most efficient method.

Fidelty my friend.
The NPC's won't have your cell number what do you think this is some magical place everyone knows everyone?

You walk into a room and into the sight range and FOV of an NPC that is going around doing it's sublimation routine*.
The NPC looks over your clothes and does a quick check.
Are you wearing muddy jeans? Check.
Are those muddy jeans actual muddy jeans or are they designer jeans with pre stained mud on them to look muddy?
If the former then you are a salt of the earth type who a blue collar NPC (captured and voiced by Toast) would trust with an important mission to go to a wreck and retrieve some bottle of whiskey.
If the latter then you are a debutante and appeal to the white collar NPC (captured and voiced by Sandy) who entrusts you with an important mission to a wreck and retrieve some bottle of whiskey.

*Sublimation routine consists of A check if the area has oxygen. If it does subtract 0.2% of oxygen in the room and replace with CO2 per person in the room. If there is a lunch table nearby, immediately sit against it and wave the player character over. If no available oxygen and no available lunch table then the NPC is to head for the nearest escape pod and clip through the wall.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I took a look at it this morning when I added the link to my F24 (UK) financials post from yesterday. Ho Lee poo poo. I don't even think backers are aware of all this crap that's been promised, and silently ignored and/or walked back.

I am often reminded of the bigass "Where's the NMS we were sold on?" post.

Eventually this list is going to be pretty handy. Until that time, its interesting to watch citizens avert their eyes because they hate facts or something. Dunno.

Abuminable posted:

We deal in facts all the time. CIG have spent 6 years building a tech demo which has had no substantive additions since 2.0. There's no game loop, no persistence, no professions, no use for the ships that are available except for pew-pew and playing a digital version of Star Wars action figures like we did when we were kids. There's no story, no progression, no penalty, no community apart from the 10 people on the server with you. There's no teams, no docking, no inventory, no use for currency. There's NO GAME.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

A blast from the past...

Hmm, check, check, check,...

Notice how when they say "We don't want to spoil it" regarding S42, everyone assumes they mean the plot or storyline (lol, crobbers and plots), when in actual fact what they mean is "We don't want to spoil it our income stream" .

Think about it :)

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

looks like CIG was supposed to have a more flushed out presence at E3 this year

same loving poo poo as last year, basically

heh Star Citizen is never coming out

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

his nibs posted:

heh Star Citizen is never coming out

Filthy heretic. Furthermore...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I just picture crobberts walking up to a random person and staring straight into their eyes, unwavering. Until they start speaking

Or him being so autistic that someone walking up to him without looking into his eyes means he can completely ignore them

No wonder he thinks he's special because everyone must treat him like a fragile stuttering retard every second of the day

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
holy gently caress horizon zero dawn is pretty

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

One of the things I've noticed from the financials is that I think it's now reasonable to say that Foundry 42 Ltd paid for the motion capture and it was lower than a lot of the numbers that have been jokingly suggested.

It seems like they never booked major time with the big names so it was maybe a day for Oldman ranging down to a week or more for the lesser actors with not many in the studio together and seemingly little/no overlap studio time for the big names. Realistically that's going to be in the hundreds of thousands each. Hiring the Imaginarium for a couple months was probably £500k to £600k at the very most.

I think the total one-off cost of the major two month long motion capture in 2015 was probably in the region of ~£3m, which was ~$4.6m of your 2015 dollars. Reshoots would be on top of this but not nearly as costly.

As has been mentioned by The Agent though, getting that motion capture data actually usable requires significant man hours/expenditure after the fact.

That's possible. It could also be tied in to the $3m they improperly recorded for 2015, but which they had to restate in 2016 :thunk:

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 13, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wait wait *looks down at the ps4 controller in my hand*

OH GOD NO ITS A CONSOLE GAME WHAT HAVE I DONNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/874684525267349504

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
don't forget the majority of the A list talent and capture at Imaginarium was recorded in late 2013 to mid 2014

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

What does that even mean. IRONCLAD. TOS. ALREADY.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TheAgent posted:

holy gently caress horizon zero dawn is pretty

pretty boring. i dont get what all the fuss was about. it wouldve been 10x better if it had heavier rpg elements

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
they were told they needed to start switching everything from "pledge" to "pre-order" by this year, but that was a leak from the long-long ago

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
would make sense if they are trying to release 3.0 as the MVP and lock down anyone who sees that absolutely zero progress regarding netcode, framerates and persistence and wants a refund

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

Thanks. Any way you can share the calcs behind?

The basic method is very simple -- I just work from snapshots of the leaderboards at different times, let's say I have snapshots at time A and time B. You can look at the total hours played by all players at time A and time B, which tells you how many player-hours were added between A and B. You then divide by the length of the reporting period to get the average number of concurrent players.

Of course, since it's an average over a long period, this method doesn't tell you anything about things like daily max number of players, etc. For that one would have to be capturing data far more often, which might be seen as impolite.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

they were told they needed to start switching everything from "pledge" to "pre-order" by this year, but that was a leak from the long-long ago

Well it looks like they're about to actually do it. Oh God, I can't wait.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Virtual Captain posted:

One of the new guys is grabbing quotes from Roberts so I came up with this idea to show them page.

I thought this one was funny because of how absurd it is:

Forgive the blatant "err", "umm", and "uhh" omissions.

It's funny reading stuff like this because you know exactly what is going on with the entire project.

Chris Roberts imagines NPC's mopping floors and going about their day swabbing tables, then when you walk up they have a fully motion captured response and you have a cinematic conversation. While it goes back to it's day job when you leave, all completely seamlessly like it's a living breathing universe.

The reality of that is that you walk up to a NPC, to trigger an event condition where it knows you are there. Awkwardly halts whatever it's doing plays a canned response that gets old after the first time, and then awkwardly cuts back to the start of whatever motion capture motion it was in the middle of.

Just like he imagines a living breathing mess hall full of life and conversation.

Then you have 10 npcs awkwardly fighting for spots to sit down, walking in circles and jittering all over the place.

It's easy to imagine the possibilities, if you are dumb enough to ignore the realities. Chris Roberts is and so are most of the backers.

Good thing the sole person in charge isn't the one dreaming up these fantastical idiot king ideas and spending tens of millions of dollars forcing people to try and create the impossible, never happy with the results.

Wait

I mean I can't wait to play with millions of fully simulated NPCs, with hundreds of thousands of ships and hundreds of planets in over a hundred systems simulating whole percentages of the real size of our galaxy.

This is so dumb I'm starting to lose the ability to empathize and see how backers still believe this stuff

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 13, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Space Crabs posted:

It's funny reading stuff like this because you know exactly what is going on with the entire project.

Chris Roberts imagines NPC's mopping floors and going about their day swabbing tables, then when you walk up they have a fully motion captured response and you have a cinematic conversation. While it goes back to it's day job when you leave, all completely seamlessly like it's a living breathing universe.

The reality of that is that you walk up to a NPC, to trigger an event condition where it knows you are there. Awkwardly halts whatever it's doing plays a canned response that gets old after the first time, and then awkwardly cuts back to the start of whatever motion capture motion it was in the middle of.

Just like he imagines a living breathing mess hall full of life and conversation.

Then you have 10 npcs awkwardly fighting for spots to sit down, walking in circles and jittering all over the place.

It's easy to imagine the possibilities, if you are dumb enough to ignore the realities. Chris Roberts is and so are most of the backers.

You see? This is why they don't want to talk about SQ42. You guys are just going to leak every loving thing, man! :argh:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Well it looks like they're about to actually do it. Oh God, I can't wait.

Isn't changing from pledge to pre order going to open them up to massive legal action ?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Isn't changing from pledge to pre order going to open them up to massive legal action ?
only if they begin to totally deny refunds. even then, shroud of the avatar (another turbulent deal) has been denying refunds for awhile on the basis that "you had enough content" to merit a "game"

who knows, it might be better fighting in court than having a refund cascade happen

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
especially since 3.0 is shaping up to be a massive disappointment to long time backers

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Deathsquid posted:

The more realistic scenario is actually that people are not buying space games because they're waiting for SQ42 to be out. Big publishers finally realized that, and are making sure not to encroach on Roberts' territory again by making games set in much earlier historical periods.

This is my thought too. The Magnum Opus approaches and other lesser groups are moving out of the way in fear of being trampled upon and made a mockery of.

Definitely not a case of "been there, done that" from other companies while CIG struggles with permanent non-progress and endless alpha with hugely bug infested software. Definitely not this. :allears:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

only if they begin to totally deny refunds. even then, shroud of the avatar (another turbulent deal) has been denying refunds for awhile on the basis that "you had enough content" to merit a "game"

who knows, it might be better fighting in court than having a refund cascade happen

I almost wish i had a sizeable chunk of space ship jpegs , Just so I could do my hardest to try and bring legal action against them

I think by changing to pre order , And as per the original tos the date has flown by (infact so has the revised date) for delivery of the product , they are going to be really screwed

It's probably the lawyers telling them they have to simply because they can't hide under the pretense of a pledge anymore , sorry but the only 100 million dollar company able to get away with that poo poo is the church

And as much as Chris sees himself a messiah he is just a thumb at the end of the day

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
seriously, anyone who was a child understands why Chris Roberts has already killed this game.

Remember when you were little and wanted to build a kick rear end tree fortress with laser machine gun turrets and rope ladders and grappling hooks and ziplines? It would be able to fly to the moon to escape bullies and stop time with a time machine so you never had to go to bed!
You drew up the blueprints, got money however you could and then started construction

leaving a single board up in a tree. But boy were you excited about the treehouse for awhile.

Insert any childlike notion to do something completely unrealistic due to the naivety of the person doing the dreaming.

The difference this time is the child managed to connect with a million other children who all put their allowance into building a kickass tree fort, all you are ever going to get is something resembling a tree house that doesn't deliver on the promise of a interstellar time machine with laserguns.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

That's possible. It could also tied in to the $3m they improperly recorded for 2015, but which they had to restate in 2016 :thunk:
This it a bit of accounting but that is much simpler to explain when you work backwards from cashflow and consider how people tend to treat companies as their own personal money.

In 2015 they had expenses that had to be paid of ~£15m so they had to transfer £15m to the UK because they had to cover these expenses. That is probably the entirety of their accounting records. So at the end of the year, they just said that £15m was their turnover and they arrived at their turnover by basing it on their costs and then gave it no further thought. Because the tax credit was still just accrued income, they didn't really think about the future when they would actually be receiving the money.

So in 2016 when they started to actually receive the tax credits they no longer needed to cover the full expenditure in the UK from the US. One of the core concepts in accountancy is consistency, which means they couldn't just change their policy without changing the previous year comparatives. So last year their policy and turnover was basically 100% of costs. Their new policy is 80% of costs with the tax credits covering the other 20%. So they retrospectively pretend that some of the money in the previous year was just an interest free loan or prepayment.

TheAgent posted:

don't forget the majority of the A list talent and capture at Imaginarium was recorded in late 2013 to mid 2014
Are you sure about this I thought the earliest was mostly during the three month shoot in Mid 2015 from this: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14803-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

already beat and done

You sir are a good man. A great game.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Space Crabs posted:

seriously, anyone who was a child understands why Chris Roberts has already killed this game.

Remember when you were little and wanted to build a kick rear end tree fortress with laser machine gun turrets and rope ladders and grappling hooks and ziplines? It would be able to fly to the moon to escape bullies and stop time with a time machine so you never had to go to bed!
You drew up the blueprints, got money however you could and then started construction

leaving a single board up in a tree. But boy were you excited about the treehouse for awhile.

Insert any childlike notion to do something completely unrealistic due to the naivety of the person doing the dreaming.

The difference this time is the child managed to connect with a million other children who all put their allowance into building a kickass tree fort, all you are ever going to get is something resembling a tree house that doesn't deliver on the promise of a interstellar time machine with laserguns.

Mine was actually a plan for an underground clubhouse that could only be accessed by going through quicksand like in SMB3 :mario:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TheAgent posted:

especially since 3.0 is shaping up to be a massive disappointment to long time backers

Lets be honest. Any remaining backers are too delusional to think 3.0 is anything but a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Even if the initial reaction is "omg, we waited for this?!?" they will convince themselves it is the best game ever and totally worth 40 thousand dollars.