Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Our entire team rolled into Dreamhack Austin with mitx machines that fit into Pelican 1510s, watching people struggle with full towers as they unloaded on the sidewalk was worth every penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1308692809/taku-the-monitor-stand-pc-case

I'M READY FOR THE TACO.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

if you've waited this long for a taco then you neck is probably broken beyond repair.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
I'm going to weld some feet to my Sentry when it arrives and call it a day.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Who here was obsessed with MxM GPUs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfF_-3KHEM

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I have genuinely reached SFF Nirvana after doing this build. Absolute loving joy to work in this case, the only even slight issue I had was figuring out the heatpipe arrangement with with the NH-L12 but even then it was five minutes. Even with cable management this was barely an hour and a half build.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Man I had a hell of a time with my Ncase build but I suppose a 240mm AIO is a little more unwieldy of a setup than a nice low profile air cooler.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I lust for an itx future where one cable from the PSU to MB can power everything. :kheldragar:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I lust for an itx future where one cable from the PSU to MB can power everything. :kheldragar:

PCI-E 4.0 is supposed to greatly increase power delivery through the slot, so it's more likely than you think. PCI-SIG haven't nailed down the details yet but 300W was mentioned as a possibility (up from 75W in 3.0).

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can I get done thoughts on this ITX build. Looking to using it for VR. Either going to go with a used 980 ti for 275, a 1070, or a 1080. I do know that the 980 ti will still provide a good experience.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cxxWTH edit forgot to post the link.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 4, 2017

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

nerdrum posted:

I have genuinely reached SFF Nirvana after doing this build. Absolute loving joy to work in this case, the only even slight issue I had was figuring out the heatpipe arrangement with with the NH-L12 but even then it was five minutes. Even with cable management this was barely an hour and a half build.

Nice build! I did not know that you could still fit a 3.5" drive with the cage in when you use a full sized GPU.

What did you do with the feet? It looks a little elevated.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

beepsandboops posted:

Nice build! I did not know that you could still fit a 3.5" drive with the cage in when you use a full sized GPU.

What did you do with the feet? It looks a little elevated.

A pair of 3.5's fit totally fine with the connectors facing upward, you need L sata cables but otherwise theres plenty of clearance under the drives too for the card. I swapped the feet out with a set of Lian Li v33 pillar shaped ones, gave an extra inch of height and lowered full load temps by 3C.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SlayVus posted:

Can I get done thoughts on this ITX build. Looking to using it for VR. Either going to go with a used 980 ti for 275, a 1070, or a 1080. I do know that the 980 ti will still provide a good experience.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cxxWTH edit forgot to post the link.

Looks solid. Mine. Don't get a 1080 if all you're doing is VR.

I'd get a different CPU cooler. The FTZ01 gives you 83mm vertically to play with. You could get a Scythe Big Shuriken with an NF-F12. I know you're not overclocking, so the benefit is arguable, but it's only a difference of $15. If you wanted to go completely hog-wild, you could even fit a single-fan AIO, albeit with a 15mm fan. Not to actually suggest that, just throwing that out there.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Moving my computer to the top of the desk improved temps by nearly 10C and I'm considering delidding for a small boost. It would certainly be cheaper than a brand new blower GPU.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have my M1 sitting on the floor on top of a pair of yoga blocks with the bottom vents exposed for exhausting the GPU. It works well for giving lots of breathing room.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

So I'm looking to build a secondary pc and I wanted to keep it on the small side. I have most the parts picked out already so the only real question I have is which case to buy. The three goals I have for this build is keeping it entirely air cooled, try out Noctua fans, and use a more premium case. Here's the parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J6bq2R .

My first and safest choice is the Caselabs Bullet BH2. Keeping it cool should be a breeze :buddy: and I have actually found it cheaper than what they have it listed for on Amazon.

The next is the Ncase M1 and honestly this one scares me a bit. Keeping parts cool looks like a loving chore and the graphics card I'd like to use isn't ideal. I do have a little GTX 950 I can throw in but I'd probably replace it if I can get my 1070 sold. Either way I'd use the bottom fan mounts. And it looks like I'll need at least five or six fans for this build. Even with fan splitters I think it's going to to be close.

Last is the Dan A4-SFX v2, they're available on Kickstarter again. It actually looks like a much more straight forward build than the M1. I'd just have to substitute the NH-U9S for a Noctua NH-L9i.

Are there any other cases I should look at?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
^^^ I've been eyeing the NZXT Manta. It has a lot of fan mounting options, but no exposed grilles so it has a nice clean look. It's not as tight as the M1 and not quite as bulky as the Bullet BH2, and all the build videos and reviews I've seen indicate that it has plenty of working room inside, and the slightly bulbous shape gives you some good cable routing options.

Personally I'm not a fan of windows, so I like that they make it in a solid-side version. If they're still making it when I get ready to start my next build (next year sometime), It will most likely be my first choice of cases.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

fatman1683 posted:

^^^ I've been eyeing the NZXT Manta. It has a lot of fan mounting options, but no exposed grilles so it has a nice clean look. It's not as tight as the M1 and not quite as bulky as the Bullet BH2, and all the build videos and reviews I've seen indicate that it has plenty of working room inside, and the slightly bulbous shape gives you some good cable routing options.

Personally I'm not a fan of windows, so I like that they make it in a solid-side version. If they're still making it when I get ready to start my next build (next year sometime), It will most likely be my first choice of cases.

The NZXT Manta is slightly bigger than my MATX tower (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX TG). The Phanteks is 17.80" high x 9.10" wide x 15.70" deep vs 19.4" high x 11.6" wide x 18.5" deep of the Manta. The BH2 is 9.50" high x 10.00" wide x 13.0" deep.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

The next is the Ncase M1 and honestly this one scares me a bit. Keeping parts cool looks like a loving chore and the graphics card I'd like to use isn't ideal. I do have a little GTX 950 I can throw in but I'd probably replace it if I can get my 1070 sold. Either way I'd use the bottom fan mounts. And it looks like I'll need at least five or six fans for this build. Even with fan splitters I think it's going to to be close.

I have a similiar build, a little more aggressive than yours with a 1080 Ti in my m1 and I can honestly say this poo poo runs as cool as any other case. I have a set of floor 120mm noctua's in it and I replaced the poo poo brown fan on the NH-L12 with one of the pwm grey ones and i'm at 4.5ghz on my 6600k and it NEVER ever goes above 60C even at full load. the 1080 Ti is a reference card and even at 112% power delivery it's still barely hitting 70C.

The case has a ton of airflow, the only "mod" I did was a set of feet from a Lian Li v33 to raise the height a bit and because the stock plastic ones are super gross. If you have any questions shoot me a pm dude. It's a cakewalk to build in as long as you have a plan.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Welp, artificial scarcity has convinced me to spend money, once again - I preordered the Dancase A4 on Kickstarter. I figure if I don't end up using it, I can always easily get my money back by selling it.

Initially, I was really concerned about the thermals of the Dancase, along with not being able to deliver the actual product, but I haven't really heard of any issues with the first batch of cases.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

So I'm looking to build a secondary pc and I wanted to keep it on the small side. I have most the parts picked out already so the only real question I have is which case to buy. The three goals I have for this build is keeping it entirely air cooled, try out Noctua fans, and use a more premium case. Here's the parts list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J6bq2R .

My first and safest choice is the Caselabs Bullet BH2. Keeping it cool should be a breeze :buddy: and I have actually found it cheaper than what they have it listed for on Amazon.

Last is the Dan A4-SFX v2, they're available on Kickstarter again. It actually looks like a much more straight forward build than the M1. I'd just have to substitute the NH-U9S for a Noctua NH-L9i.

Are there any other cases I should look at?

The Ncase M1 will honestly have zero issues with cooling if you set it up right. The 240mm AIO is a totally reasonable route for CPU cooling, and any non-blower card combined with bottom intake fans says pretty frosty too. If I do full synthetic load on both CPU and GPU while overclocked (7700k@4.9, 1070@+130/300), neither gets above 70-75. If I crypto mine on the 1070 for 16 hours and then pull off the side and poke around, the only thing hot is the GPU (still mid 70s), with no collateral heating of motherboard parts or anything.

Everything can basically breathe fresh intake air if you configure it right. My setup is both side fans pulling fresh air through the rad, both bottom fans pushing fresh air into the GPU. With decent pressure fans (I'm using ML120s) this surprisingly isn't too much positive pressure because the case is entirely vents so you get plenty of passive venting. The comedy option is to buy an accelero xtreme III to replace the GPU cooler and have the bottom fans (which nearly touch it) just exhaust case air through that. If you have any issues at all with GPU temps in either of these configurations you can use some different case feet (aftermarket AV equipment feet or whatever you have around) to lift it up another half inch or so and easily gain a few degrees.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 12, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Welp, artificial scarcity has convinced me to spend money, once again - I preordered the Dancase A4 on Kickstarter. I figure if I don't end up using it, I can always easily get my money back by selling it.

Initially, I was really concerned about the thermals of the Dancase, along with not being able to deliver the actual product, but I haven't really heard of any issues with the first batch of cases.

Yeah, I'm in too for a case at least. I still don't know about the window kit. I think it's going to gently caress with thermals pretty bad.

I can't really decide between the black or the silver, is one more scratch-proof than the other?

Heads-up to anyone sitting on the fence, they've sold almost all of their regular kits in 16 days (58 left of 1300), at their average rate of 77 per day they will be out within a day. It's now or never.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 13, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fruit Chewy posted:

Everything can basically breathe fresh intake air if you configure it right. My setup is both side fans pulling fresh air through the rad, both bottom fans pushing fresh air into the GPU. With decent pressure fans (I'm using ML120s) this surprisingly isn't too much positive pressure because the case is entirely vents so you get plenty of passive venting. The comedy option is to buy an accelero xtreme III to replace the GPU cooler and have the bottom fans (which nearly touch it) just exhaust case air through that. If you have any issues at all with GPU temps in either of these configurations you can use some different case feet (aftermarket AV equipment feet or whatever you have around) to lift it up another half inch or so and easily gain a few degrees.

As mentioned previously, I do this and it's glorious. The bottom fans just horf air out the bottom. Fair warning though, getting all the little VRM and RAM heatsinks to stay on is a bitch.

I'm thinking that my next GPU will probably go the AIO 120mm route, though. Obviously bending hoses around in a tight space is a pain in the arse, but the Accelero is no walk in the park to install or mount either in a small case.

My mad scientist brain would love if the GPU in the M1 (or similar size case) could be mounted vertically a la Silverstone's 90° system so that you could have much clearer airflow from the bottom intakes go the rest of the system without a big, flat wall of GPU in the way. That said, I'm sure that engineering such a thing in such a small package is tricky and would inevitably create a larger case as a result.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

As mentioned previously, I do this and it's glorious. The bottom fans just horf air out the bottom. Fair warning though, getting all the little VRM and RAM heatsinks to stay on is a bitch.

I'm thinking that my next GPU will probably go the AIO 120mm route, though. Obviously bending hoses around in a tight space is a pain in the arse, but the Accelero is no walk in the park to install or mount either in a small case.

My mad scientist brain would love if the GPU in the M1 (or similar size case) could be mounted vertically a la Silverstone's 90° system so that you could have much clearer airflow from the bottom intakes go the rest of the system without a big, flat wall of GPU in the way. That said, I'm sure that engineering such a thing in such a small package is tricky and would inevitably create a larger case as a result.

On a scale of 1 to "totally not loving worth it", how much of a pain is the accelero? I'm debating between getting a EVGA 1080ti SC2 and just dealing with the slightly subpar thermals/acoustics or going whole hog founders edition plus accelero. Not feeling super amazing about pasting cheap little heatsinks onto a $700 PCB though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fruit Chewy posted:

On a scale of 1 to "totally not loving worth it", how much of a pain is the accelero? I'm debating between getting a EVGA 1080ti SC2 and just dealing with the slightly subpar thermals/acoustics or going whole hog founders edition plus accelero. Not feeling super amazing about pasting cheap little heatsinks onto a $700 PCB though.

The Accelero comes with thermal glue, but you can grab some 3M thermal tape from Amazon for cheap which will work about as well and isn't permanent. I don't know why they don't bundle thermal tape with that cooler.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Fruit Chewy posted:

I have the accelero on the FE, but it turns it into a 3-slot card, which is pretty bad for ITX case choices.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have the accelero on the FE, but it turns it into a 3-slot card, which is pretty bad for ITX case choices.

Unless you're part of the Ncase M1 Klub wherein it happens to line up perfectly to allow you to use case fans as GPU fans.

I'm definitely leaning toward that route though just because the more I dig the more I find people talking poo poo on EVGA's iCX cooler compared to the MSI/ASUS coolers that won't fit in this case.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fruit Chewy posted:

In the case of the M1, I think it was absolutely worth it. Using it to exhaust GPU heat out the bottom with 120mm fans gives you the best situation short of using liquid. 120mm fans give tons of power while still being quiet, and venting out the bottom keeps a lot of hot air from mingling with the rest of the system.

The pain in the rear end is sticking on all the little heatsinks. iirc I used 3M thermal tape to secure them because the glue provided by Arctic is a much bigger pain in the rear end to remove down the road. You need to be gentle moving and installing the final GPU as a bump or shake might knock a heatsink off. Completely doable but takes a bit of patience, trial and error.

If you can elevate the case so there is more empty space under the fans, all the better. This advice also holds true if using bottom intakes fans.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 13, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In the case of the M1, I think it was absolutely worth it. Using it to exhaust GPU heat out the bottom with 120mm fans gives you the best situation short of using liquid. 120mm fans give tons of power while still being quiet, and venting out the bottom keeps a lot of hot air from mingling with the rest of the system.

The pain in the rear end is sticking on all the little heatsinks. iirc I used 3M thermal tape to secure them because the glue provided by Arctic is a much bigger pain in the rear end to remove down the road. You need to be gentle moving and installing the final GPU as a bump or shake might knock a heatsink off. Completely doable but takes a bit of patience, trial and error.

The best thing about the Accelero cooler is that you can now use a 240MM radiator for your CPU. But, at the end of the day, the 1080Ti doesn't overclock well, you pretty much just don't want throttling on the stock cooler, which pretty much only the FE/blowers do.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I do things in a slightly heretical way. I don't have a big overclock on the 1080 and I didn't want to futz around with a lot of fan control software on my older MB so I just have the 120mms fixed at 40% speed where they noiselessly keep the GPU under 80°, and often under 70° degrees when I'm playing games.

I could figure out more advanced fan control software; I could push a more aggressive overclock; but at the end of the day I find set it and forget it silence has worked just fine for me.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Fruit Chewy posted:

So I don't know if this will help or not. But I have an Accelero III on an MSI 980ti gaming 6g, which looks to have the same cooler design on it's 1080ti card. I was able to install the Accelero III in a way that kept the stock backplate and VRAM heatsinks, so I didn't have to mess with the little heatsinks.

Looking at the evga, cooler, there's 4 tabs that probably get in the way from doing this, though if you wanted to be crazy, you could cut those 4 tabs, and install the accelero in addition to the stock back/front plate.
http://media.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2017/GPUs/1080-ti/sc2/evga-1080ti-sc2-teardown.jpg

If I would have done it again, I probably would have just gotten a blower card, or considered a hybrid, but I had the Card from my previous build which was a big tower and didn't think I was going to be stuffing it in an Ncase M1. I'm pretty happy with it right now, and I think 980ti thermals are similar to 1080ti.

Magwai fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I ended up just getting the SC2 because I figure I can get some mileage out of it with the stock cooler until I actually work up the courage to tear into it and put the accelero on. I've seen people use copper shims on the die to get around those tabs being in the way for hybrid kits so you could probably do the same, but I'd honestly rather just do it without the plates probably.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest
If I didn't ultimately end up with the Accelero, my backup plan was to try to make something out of some scavenged blower fan's from an iMac. Since the main problem with open air coolers was no place for the air to go, and how quiet some of those Mac fan's can get, I figured it was worth a shot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I'd have to imagine if that you really wanted to do the Accelero/M1 thing, but didn't want to mess around with thermal glue and installation and added price, you could buy just about any 2+ slot 1080Ti and take fans off.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My Ncase M1 that I built last May:

i5 6600k (stock) and GTX 970.

Impulse purchased an EVGA Hybrid 1080 (the SC, not FTW) and a 27", IPS, 144hz, G-sync, 1440p screen. Jumped on the Destiny 2 hype train and got the free copy bundle.

Now I'm kinda thinking about trying to OC the 6600k. Does a Corsair H75 seem reasonable? Dual AIO 120mm venting out the side? From looking around, it seems like everything should fit.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Yeah dual AIO is pretty common for nice M1 setups from what I've seen. You basically either end up with dual AIO or 240 CPU AIO and a gimmick accelero GPU it seems like. I'd probably just use both as intakes and then dump air out the bottom or something.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I had the H75 and EVGA 1080 hybrid in my M1 for a while, so you should be good.

Hopefully your hybrid doesn't have crazy pump noise like mine did!

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I'm contemplating an M1 build and trying to decide what to do for CPU cooling (ie air or liquid AIO, and what to go with for either). I've never done an ITX build before. I already have a 1080 with an open-air cooler (Asus Strix) that I'd be using.

#1 priority is silence at idle, I don't mind a bit of loudness when things are cranking but also don't want a jet engine.
#2 priority is performance/temp.
#3 priority is price. I'll gladly pay an extra few bucks for something quiet and cool.

Any thoughts?

mega dy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 16, 2017

dema
Aug 13, 2006

For that video card in the M1, you might need to buy some 90 degree PCI power cable adaptors on eBay. At least that's what I read when I was looking into a new 1080.

Actuarial Fables posted:

I had the H75 and EVGA 1080 hybrid in my M1 for a while, so you should be good.

Hopefully your hybrid doesn't have crazy pump noise like mine did!

Thanks. Crossing my fingers on the Hybrid noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

dy. posted:

I'm contemplating an M1 build and trying to decide what to do for CPU cooling (ie air or liquid AIO, and what to go with for either). I've never done an ITX build before. I already have a 1080 with an open-air cooler (Asus Strix) that I'd be using.

#1 priority is silence at idle, I don't mind a bit of loudness when things are cranking but also don't want a jet engine.
#2 priority is performance/temp.
#3 priority is price. I'll gladly pay an extra few bucks for something quiet and cool.

Any thoughts?

I went with the gen1 H100i in my build. It does a stellar job of cooling my 5.0ghz 7700k and has drat near zero noise at idle. I've never had any issues with pump noise but I've heard of other people encountering some trouble with it. I've got some nice corsair ML120 fans on it and have them set to basically never go above like 40%. I would prefer to go with high end air cooling but in that small of a space you're just not able to get the big quiet fans that you probably want.