Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That will be the case if it's an OEM computer that has never been reinstalled because it'll be using their generic activation key.

But to answer your other original question, if you complete the update to Windows 10 then swap the hard drives the machine will retain its activation even after a clean install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Office/Outlook related question:
When my boss replies to a meeting request from someone else (where I haven't been invited as part of the original meeting request) that he wants me to attend, I get a meeting email with the subject "Accepted: [Meeting Subject]" from him which I assume happens when he adds my email to the reply email. Outlook appears to understand that it's an email related to a meeting and has all the details like time and location but is there an quick way to just automatically stick that into my calendar? There's a Meeting Response tab but it only has the standard email options of Reply, Reply All and Forward.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Sounds like he's just replying to the meeting request - if he wants you on the meeting he'd need to forward the actual invite. If done right you'll get the email from the meeting organizer with a "on behalf of" added with your bosses name.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I need to bulk resize a lot of images to a specific resolution. The images are private in nature (employee pictures) so I'd prefer not to use an online tool. Recommend anything?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kiwid posted:

I need to bulk resize a lot of images to a specific resolution. The images are private in nature (employee pictures) so I'd prefer not to use an online tool. Recommend anything?

Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/)

Has a batch rename / resize / convert function that can do exactly this. I use it all the time.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

stevewm posted:

Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/)

Has a batch rename / resize / convert function that can do exactly this. I use it all the time.

That worked perfect, thanks.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I'm using the iOS RDP client app but keep getting "your device lost the connection". It works fine on LAN but not from outside my network. I've got the RDP (non-standard) port forwarded and it shows as open when trying one of those port scanning websites. Disabling the windows firewall didn't help. Any ideas, goons?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does it connect at all to begin with?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
IrfanView is so drat good in every way. Anyone who is annoyed by whatever their default viewer is really needs to switch to it. I know there are other alternatives but every time I need to do whatever convoluted/unusual/highly specific/anal image-related thing (excluding photoshop doctoring and whatnot), it turns out that IrfanView can do it. I first installed it in like the early 2000s, and have never once needed to seek out another viewer since then for anything.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 3, 2017

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It has some weird janky UI/UX functionality though. Like if I keep pressing arrows to cycle through images in a directory and instead of looping around alphabetically it just pops up some file browser and beeps at me or if I zoom in while in windowed mode it changes the size of the whole window instead of zooming within the set window size. Super annoying for the simple stuff I use it for so I'm exploring other options. I suppose there may be settings somewhere I can change too.

Its more complex features are great for a free "image viewer" though.

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 3, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd love to have something with IrfanView features that didn't look like poo poo.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

mutata posted:

It has some weird janky UI/UX functionality though. Like if I keep pressing arrows to cycle through images in a directory and instead of looping around alphabetically it just pops up some file browser and beeps at me or if I zoom in while in windowed mode it changes the size of the whole window instead of zooming within the set window size. Super annoying for the simple stuff I use it for so I'm exploring other options. I suppose there may be settings somewhere I can change too.

Its more complex features are great for a free "image viewer" though.

The looping you can change from "Options - Properties - Browsing" and the zooming you can change from "View - Display options (window mode)" by choosing some other option than "Fit window to image".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Awesome, I figured as much. Thanks!

(And yeah, I wish it didn't look as ugly too)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thermopyle posted:

I'd love to have something with IrfanView features that didn't look like poo poo.

Depends on the features you want, but I like Faststone image viewer.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

doctorfrog posted:

Depends on the features you want, but I like Faststone image viewer.

Yep, this is what I use and gets the closest to ACDSee v3 that I've come across. I wish the automatic image view resizing was more like ACDSee's, but it's not too bad. I like the "hold mouse button to zoom image within current window and wave mouse around to scroll it".

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Tapedump posted:

Does it connect at all to begin with?

Nope it doesn't. It hangs at "initiating remote connection" for about 30 seconds before throwing that error message.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How do I re-assign the drive letter of my USB-connected external harddrive?

I have an external drive I keep my photos on, a 1-TB Seagate I bought about 18 months ago that normally shows up on my laptop as F:\
My laptop is running Windows 7, and nothing has been upgraded or changed other than the usual system updates (and I don't think a big one has come in for a while) for at least a month.
Yesterday I plugged in the external HDD and it showed up as G:\ This wouldn't matter except my backup program, iDrive, is used to seeing all those files in folders on F:\ and tried to re-upload 800 GB last night as all-new material; this morning it was only 12% finished after 16 hours.

I can't find a way to change the drive letter assignment but I'm not sure where to look. Thanks in advance!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ExecuDork posted:

How do I re-assign the drive letter of my USB-connected external harddrive?

I have an external drive I keep my photos on, a 1-TB Seagate I bought about 18 months ago that normally shows up on my laptop as F:\
My laptop is running Windows 7, and nothing has been upgraded or changed other than the usual system updates (and I don't think a big one has come in for a while) for at least a month.
Yesterday I plugged in the external HDD and it showed up as G:\ This wouldn't matter except my backup program, iDrive, is used to seeing all those files in folders on F:\ and tried to re-upload 800 GB last night as all-new material; this morning it was only 12% finished after 16 hours.

I can't find a way to change the drive letter assignment but I'm not sure where to look. Thanks in advance!

If you go to Disk Management, you should be able to right-click the drive and change the drive letter.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

If you go to Disk Management, you should be able to right-click the drive and change the drive letter.

I can't find anything labelled "Disk Management" - I'm running Windows 7, is that something from 8 or 10? I can find the drive through explorer (of course), and in Device Manager, but nowhere does it let me change the drive letter. I can dive into the properties but nothing in there relates to the drive letter. I can rename the volume but that does not affect the drive letter.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ExecuDork posted:

I can't find anything labelled "Disk Management" - I'm running Windows 7, is that something from 8 or 10? I can find the drive through explorer (of course), and in Device Manager, but nowhere does it let me change the drive letter. I can dive into the properties but nothing in there relates to the drive letter. I can rename the volume but that does not affect the drive letter.

Run diskmgmt.msc

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Toast Museum posted:

Run diskmgmt.msc

Hurray! Success! Thank you both.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really would love to re-assign my Display ID's, I hate having to switch form Surround back to normal, and it' fucks with OBS.. I plugged a rift in to try it and it screwed up my monitors.. Is there any way I can re-adjust the ID's I've tried unplugging and removing from registry etc. iRacing doens't want to do full screen outside of surround without my left monitor being #1.. and ti's driving me nuts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ExecuDork posted:

Hurray! Success! Thank you both.

In future hit Start / the windows key and just start typing what you're looking for, you don't need to rmbmr obscr applctn nms these days (unless you really want to)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

baka kaba posted:

In future hit Start / the windows key and just start typing what you're looking for, you don't need to rmbmr obscr applctn nms these days (unless you really want to)

By "these days" I'm guessing you mean a version of Windows more recent than my Windows 7 - typing "reassign drive letter" or "drive letter" or "disk manager" into that search box returns zero results.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nah, just typing 'disk management' should bring it up, probably before you finish typing. It's not perfect at guessing what you mean when you're using a generic search term, but using the actual name should bring it up

Basically you shouldn't have to go digging around for installed programs or tools anymore (since windows 7 I think? Or was win+type thing on vista too?)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baka kaba posted:

Nah, just typing 'disk management' should bring it up, probably before you finish typing. It's not perfect at guessing what you mean when you're using a generic search term, but using the actual name should bring it up

Basically you shouldn't have to go digging around for installed programs or tools anymore (since windows 7 I think? Or was win+type thing on vista too?)

Introduced with Vista yeah.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

baka kaba posted:

How is "disk management" easier than "diskmgmt.msc"? It works all the time and is still the way I would access it..

Sure, you can right click on the start menu on new versions of Windows these days to access it, too; but there's nothing wrong with old shortcuts. Like "mstsc" every time for Remote Desktop :D

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Weirdly it comes up as "create and format hard disk partitions" in search if you type disk management.

Otherwise it would be under control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management and then half way down that thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

How is "disk management" easier than "diskmgmt.msc"? It works all the time and is still the way I would access it..

Sure, you can right click on the start menu on new versions of Windows these days to access it, too; but there's nothing wrong with old shortcuts. Like "mstsc" every time for Remote Desktop :D

It literally doesn't matter, as you don't have to type the full string anyways. By the time you've gotten to "diskm" or "disk m" the correct app will be at the top of the list and you're a single enter press away from your goal.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

HalloKitty posted:

Well I did say 'unless you really want to'! I'm just trying to get people in the habit of using the 'type the kind of thing you're looking for' tools instead of hunting manually and looking through context menus and the like. Especially useful to remember if you're helping someone who's bad with computers

also pros do Win+X k

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

HalloKitty posted:

It's a lot easier to remember the English name.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the easiest way to allow me to play Steam games remotely through Home Sharing (performance criticisms aside)? Windows 10 Edu.

My plan was to have the host computer host a VPN and then connect to the VPN through the internet (effectively putting both computers on the same LAN, which allows home sharing). However, I can't seem to start a VPN through windows as it gives me random errors and I haven't been able to resolve them though a few hours of troubleshooting (Error codes, service 'starts and stops', etc).

Is there an easier way to do this?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Years of working on computers taught me that "appwiz.cpl" was so much quicker to get to add/remove programs starting in Windows XP than going through control panel that it's just muscle memory at this point. Same with Disk Management. It WAS easier back then, since start search it became a moot point, but "we've always done it this way". :D

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Seriously people, Win+x. Load your hacking tools

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to convince windows that a monitor of a given resolution is plugged in to it, even if no monitor exists at all?

eames
May 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to convince windows that a monitor of a given resolution is plugged in to it, even if no monitor exists at all?

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/

that's the only reliable solution I know if you want to keep hardware acceleration, which you generally do for anything GUI related.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I made a post in the Haus but unfortunately it seems nobody can figure it out so I'm posting here in a kind of last ditch effort before I just wipe/reinstall this loving thing. This is driving me absolutely mad.

Mak0rz posted:

Problem description:
Sometimes after waking my computer from sleep weird network shenanigans happen. I don't really know how to describe it technically, but here's what I notice:
  • Web pages take a very long time to load ("waiting for response...") and, once loaded, media (images, etc) takes longer still in web browsers and Windows 10 apps.
  • Rarely, things don't load at all and I don't even get responses from ping commands. I assume pings are supposed to time out after a short amount of time, but that doesn't seem to happen either. Despite this, Windows does not report any problem with wifi connectivity.
  • Chrome really loving hates it when any of this happens and will straight-up freeze completely and do it so hard that no amount of ending the process can revive it (it doesn't open again if I try). If I want to use Chrome again I have to restart the computer.

I have no idea how to reliably reproduce it, but it happens very frequently and restarting the computer brings things back to normal. One thing I haven't tried yet is testing it over a wired connection, but the random nature of this would make it a crapshoot anyway. If that'll help diagnose a problem I'll get a cable and keep the laptop tethered to the router for a while for normal use because this is driving me loving nuts.

I also haven't tried pinging/accessing router when the rare "nothing loads" cases happen because I keep forgetting to. However, all other wi-fi devices on the network continue working as normal when this happens.

Attempted fixes:
Fiddled with the power/sleep options, updated drivers, wiped and reinstalled Chrome. I'm not really sure what I can do to try and tackle it, to be honest.

Recent changes:
None, really. This is a relatively new problem (started a couple months ago) but I don't recall making major changes to the system at any point unless a Windows update is to blame.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1703 build 15063.296

System specs:
ThinkPad T540p
- Intel i5-4200M
- 8GB RAM
- Intel Dual band Wireless-AC 7260 (driver version 18.33.6.2, 2017-02-19)
- Samsung 850 EVO SSD

EDIT:
Alright the load nothing problem happened again. This time Windows actually reported a problem ("Connected, no internet access"). Trying to access the router via browser just timed-out. Trying to ping it shat out this:
code:
C:\Users\Mak0rz>ping 192.168.x.xxx

Pinging 192.168.x.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
No resources.
No resources.
No resources.
No resources.

Ping statistics for 192.168.x.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
As usual, things returned to normal after restarting :iiam:

Note that these effects aren't immediate. Things would work fine for maybe 30 seconds to a minute before it shits itself. It's weird.

I tried doing the network reset thing in Windows settings and it didn't do anything. Running ipconfig release followed by ipconfig renew in the command prompt worked the one time I tried it. I'll try to remember to do it again next time I run into this.

Anyone have any idea where I can start troubleshooting this? Google turns up gently caress all.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mak0rz posted:

Anyone have any idea where I can start troubleshooting this? Google turns up gently caress all.

Is it affecting other devices using your router and modem?

"My phone works fine-" Make sure it hasn't fallen over to mobile service.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dont be mean to me posted:

Is it affecting other devices using your router and modem?

"My phone works fine-" Make sure it hasn't fallen over to mobile service.

Nope. Two phones, two laptops, and a tablet in total here and my laptop is the only one affected by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mak0rz posted:

Nope. Two phones, two laptops, and a tablet in total here and my laptop is the only one affected by this.

What's your network drivers look like?