Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to add in "Cut" to the contextual menu from right clicking? My Windows/Linux usage is showing and it's seriously agitating me when I want to move stuff around. I understand you can do Command+X but I may as well just do it all via the terminal if I'm gonna be using hotkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

YouTuber posted:

Is there a way to add in "Cut" to the contextual menu from right clicking? My Windows/Linux usage is showing and it's seriously agitating me when I want to move stuff around. I understand you can do Command+X but I may as well just do it all via the terminal if I'm gonna be using hotkeys.

No. And where is cut available as a hot key and not in the context menu? Finder?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
If it's finder, dragging just moves unless you're going from one volume to another, in which case you also have to hold cmd. And when you forget that, you just press every modifier key until the plus goes away while you're dragging. Easy!

e. and cmd+opt+v moves a copied item (rather than pasting a copy), if you are allergic to dragging.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

carry on then posted:

No. And where is cut available as a hot key and not in the context menu? Finder?

Yeah and the desktop.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

IAmKale posted:

I think it's time I get a clipboard manager incorporated into my workflow. Is there one that'll let me bind a mouse key to bring up a window of previously-copied items underneath my mouse cursor? The idea being, I don't have to move my mouse away from the input box I need to paste the value in, I can just MOUSE-5 > click to copy > Cmd + V to paste.

The recently featured "Copia" kind of does this

I tried it and it seems fine but I was like "what kind of sperg would really need this ", and well, hi 👋

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The recently featured "Copia" kind of does this

I tried it and it seems fine but I was like "what kind of sperg would really need this ", and well, hi 👋
Why hello there Copia! This will work just fine for what I need :spergin:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
So, I used to use Boom 2. When my computer died last week I migrated my account to my Mac mini. Boom decided it wasn't registered (fine) and then wouldn't accept my registration key (not fine). Apparently it's "in use" on my old (dead) computer, from which I obviously cannot deregister it. I contacted the developer though their support site a week ago and I'm still just hearing crickets.

I'm looking to replace it with a piece of software that is less lovely (in terms of support and registration systems).

All I've found so far is Hear, which I almost bought until I caught the little line at the end of the system requirements tab that says it doesn't work with Safari.

Anyone have any suggestions for something that will boost the volume from this tiny Mac mini speaker, that works with audio from every app?

Edit: I could probably buy a Bluetooth speaker to solve the problem, too...

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 14, 2017

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

IAmKale posted:

I think it's time I get a clipboard manager incorporated into my workflow. Is there one that'll let me bind a mouse key to bring up a window of previously-copied items underneath my mouse cursor? The idea being, I don't have to move my mouse away from the input box I need to paste the value in, I can just MOUSE-5 > click to copy > Cmd + V to paste.

I know you're sorted with Copia but, for what it's worth, Pastebot has an option in preferences to have the clipboard history appear underneath your cursor.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Is there a way to make Tap to Click also work as drag?

On the new MBP, you can enable tap to click, but it seems double-tapping and then dragging doesn't work. For example if I hardware click the actual trackpad button, I can drag icons around the desktop. But tap to click won't let me drag.

FYI my force click / haptic is turned off. Hate that feature.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
drag options have been hidden in accessibility since like 10.9

trackpad options>with/without drag lock, three-finger drag are your options (for tap-to-click dragging)

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Tenterhooks posted:

I know you're sorted with Copia but, for what it's worth, Pastebot has an option in preferences to have the clipboard history appear underneath your cursor.
Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the suggestion, this works perfectly :spergin: :spergin:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going to put 2 drives I bought from Don Lapre into a little DAS box, and preferably want RAID 1. It seems every box on the market has some bad reviews saying it just went bad one day and they lost all their volumes, so was wondering if I should leave the disks in the box 'as is' and have macOS do the RAID in software. Does this generally work pretty well, and prevents issues? All the most important stuff will be backed up separately from this drive, but anything I can do to prevent issues I'm up for.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
You should do macOS or SoftRAID RAID 1 because those USB RAID enclosures use proprietary formats. If you ever have to recover from controller failure by moving the drives elsewhere, and you can't buy the same enclosure again, like those reviews complained about, you are out of luck. Software RAID means you are never tied to a particular controller; as long as you can get a computer to talk to the disks you are in business.

I mentioned SoftRAID up there (a commercial software RAID driver for macOS) only because Apple's Disk Utility has lost the ability to create an Apple-format soft RAID volume, even though the system will still mount and use them just fine. If you're comfortable doing the formatting with CLI tools, look at the man pages for 'diskutil'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, sounds like gut instincts are right and there's no major downsides. I probably could've saved a few $ getting a model with no raid onboard, but thanks to Amazon Warehouse I got a $120 model for $70 anyway. Only complaints people have had are the fan can die, but replacing the unit has been fine and the raid mirror was perfect and worked fine. If I take even that out of the equation, sounds like all should go smoothly. Thanks.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I have an SD card inserted in my Mac. It shows up in Finder just fine, but I want to access it from Terminal. How can I find where it is located so I can cd into it and manipulate files?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It'd be under /Volumes once it mounts.

Hint: You can drag from Finder onto the Terminal to insert a path.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I have an SD card inserted in my Mac. It shows up in Finder just fine, but I want to access it from Terminal. How can I find where it is located so I can cd into it and manipulate files?

Answering my own question since I finally sorted this out on Google -- it's in /Volumes

Pivo posted:

It'd be under /Volumes once it mounts.

Hint: You can drag from Finder onto the Terminal to insert a path.

e: fb -- Also mind blown with the drag & drop tip.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Additional random tip: If you're going to do something goofy like use dd to write an image to it (like if you are playing with a Raspberry Pi) make sure you use
pre:
of=/dev/rdisk1
and not
pre:
of-/dev/disk1
(or whatever it ends up being) so it will go away faster, using the raw disk device.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I was indeed playing with a Raspberry Pi, but in this instance just needed access to the card to create some files to ensure a headless boot+wifi connection. I suppose I could go about creating text files through finder, but I'm much more comfortable on the command line (except for that whole part where I couldn't find where my SD card was mounted) :downs:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there an app/extension/way to send (audio) to a Chromecast from Safari? Chrome loving sucks

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I was in an Apple Store and saw this image on a Macbook Pro poster / ad.

Does anybody know where I can find this as a wallpaper?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does CrashPlan still use that awful java software? It was ok at best when I used to have service with them, but getting it off the machine was a level beyond using 'app cleaner' to the extent I use to have 0 byte unremovable files in the trash every time I connected an external HDD.

If it's still the same, what's a good affordable service for home users that has better software? Backblaze?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does CrashPlan still use that awful java software? It was ok at best when I used to have service with them, but getting it off the machine was a level beyond using 'app cleaner' to the extent I use to have 0 byte unremovable files in the trash every time I connected an external HDD.

If it's still the same, what's a good affordable service for home users that has better software? Backblaze?

Use Arq with Amazon Glacier. Arq is desktop software that can backup to a number of destinations.

Glacier is cheap - it's about $5/mo for my 800gb of backed up data (mainly ripped cd's).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I remember looking into Glacier, I remember seeing people say that recalling files from it could get expensive though?

I use Amazon for photo storage, which is the main thing I want to backup, but there's not much support for doing it automatically. A few apps can mount the account in Finder, but I've not seen anything further. Wonder if Arq might be compatible with that...

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I remember looking into Glacier, I remember seeing people say that recalling files from it could get expensive though?

I use Amazon for photo storage, which is the main thing I want to backup, but there's not much support for doing it automatically. A few apps can mount the account in Finder, but I've not seen anything further. Wonder if Arq might be compatible with that...

Glacier is expensive to restore from *relative* to backing up. For example, I had to restore about 100gb a month ago and it cost me <$8.

If you are primarily concerned with backing up and don't need to continually restore, then Glacier is designed for you.

Note: part of what factors into cost for Glacier restore is how fast you want to restore. You can pay more to restore faster.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seems an interesting system, might work for me. Thanks!

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Okay, so I just had my mind blown at the store. I was helping my brother pick up a Macbook Pro when the sales rep showed me that there's a way easier method to put two apps side by side than opening one in fullscreen > open mission control > drag another app on top of the fullscreen one.

All you have to do is hold the maximize button on one app and slide it to one half of the screen, then click another app. I was using "Magnet" for this.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I Am Crake posted:

Okay, so I just had my mind blown at the store. I was helping my brother pick up a Macbook Pro when the sales rep showed me that there's a way easier method to put two apps side by side than opening one in fullscreen > open mission control > drag another app on top of the fullscreen one.

All you have to do is hold the maximize button on one app and slide it to one half of the screen, then click another app. I was using "Magnet" for this.

holy poo poo that rules

Although – like quite a few Apple features – they could've done this in a way that's easier to discovery by accident. In Windows you just drag the window (from anywhere) to the half of the screen you want it to populate. (And it also doesn't require two apps to be on a separate Space.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find with Windows' method, I still snap things to parts of the screen by mistake when I'm moving my apps around though. I don't really use the feature, so I'd rather trigger it on purpose with a slightly longer process than accidentals.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Windows has awesome window management. Win+arrow keys gets you the snapping as well, and windows 10 does one better year bringing up that little overlay to select the app you want to split with.

Are there different teams for this stuff or what? I can't reconcile the window management with the nightmarish eyesore that is the settings menus and file manager. :psyduck:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Are there different teams for this stuff or what?

no the windows team is just one guy

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

tuyop posted:

Windows has awesome window management. Win+arrow keys gets you the snapping as well, and windows 10 does one better year bringing up that little overlay to select the app you want to split with.

Are there different teams for this stuff or what? I can't reconcile the window management with the nightmarish eyesore that is the settings menus and file manager. :psyduck:

Magnet gives you the same sort of key shortcuts as well. Pretty easy purchase to make for $1.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just as an FYI for any UK goons, I placed an order for a lightning port repair on my iPhone 6 Plus with iMend today at about 12. Dude texted me minutes later and came round to my flat and fixed it by 4pm for the sum of £60.

Showed me everything he did step by step, had a full complement of kit. Very impressive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm trying to update some old perl scripts to use https due to the site they interact with being https-only now, but I seem to need Net:SSL and it won't install because of the following error:
code:
openssl-version.c:2:10: fatal error: 'openssl/opensslv.h' file not found
I checked with brew, but apparently openssl IS installed.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Check what version of OpenSSL is installed. If it's above 1.0 then install 0.98 or whatever is the latest below 1.0.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wolffenstein posted:

Check what version of OpenSSL is installed. If it's above 1.0 then install 0.98 or whatever is the latest below 1.0.

It's 1.0.2h_1. So I guess I install boneyard to get the "brew versions" command and then do that?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Is there an app that manages ejecting thunderbolt devices? I have an audio interface that keeps crashing my 2015 Macbook Pro when I unplug it. OS is updated, device is a Resident Audio T4 thunderbolt 2 audio interface.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Bob Morales posted:

Additional random tip: If you're going to do something goofy like use dd to write an image to it (like if you are playing with a Raspberry Pi) make sure you use
pre:
of=/dev/rdisk1
and not
pre:
of-/dev/disk1
(or whatever it ends up being) so it will go away faster, using the raw disk device.

I feel like i heard this years ago and only just remembered now that you mentioned it.

Would have been useful when I was doing dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk3 bs=1024k count=7500 a week ago :negative:

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

The Milkman posted:

Is there an app/extension/way to send (audio) to a Chromecast from Safari? Chrome loving sucks

No, Google is real janky about the Chromecast SDKs.

What will really blow your mind is that apps that support Chromecast like Spotify can't support Chromecast Audio on the desktop because there's no SDK for it. You can push Spotify to the audio from your phone and then control it via the desktop app (I'm assuming using a Spotify specific protocol) but not directly.

Chromecast video works fine for most uses but drat if they're terrible at handling obvious corner cases. Come to think of it that's a constant problem with Googles consumerish applications that aren't search/email (looking at you hangouts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Started working in Pages today just to see if I like it better than Word for documents I'll be working on by myself.

Is there a way to change the default pasting behaviour? Feels like the settings menu is really, really limited. I paste a lot of formulas from Grapher and I'd like them to paste inline, instead of floating. It's a hassle having to change every one manually.