Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dont be mean to me posted:

What's your network drivers look like?

What do you mean? I have driver info in the quote. Far as I can tell they're up-to-date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mak0rz posted:

What do you mean? I have driver info in the quote. Far as I can tell they're up-to-date.

Whoops.

Anything weird show up in Event Viewer around the time the Wi-Fi flakes out?

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
So I really hate iTunes. Can anyone recommend me some software to use in Windows 10 that'll allow me to put music on my iPhone without using iTunes? Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but damned if I know where else to solicit responses.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Das_Ubermike posted:

So I really hate iTunes. Can anyone recommend me some software to use in Windows 10 that'll allow me to put music on my iPhone without using iTunes? Not sure if this is the best thread for this question, but damned if I know where else to solicit responses.

Physically on the phone? You're in Apples biosphere. Streaming? Google Music, Amazon Prime Music will both store all your music in the cloud.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Das_Ubermike posted:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/ I've had this recommended but I've never actually used it.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Medullah posted:

Physically on the phone? You're in Apples biosphere. Streaming? Google Music, Amazon Prime Music will both store all your music in the cloud.

Yar, physically on the phone, i.e. putting some of the music in my folders on my hard drive into my iPhone without using iTunes itself. God forbid I just be able to drag and drop this poo poo. I'll give the software that thebigcow linked to a try. Thanks for the quick responses.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think unfortunately you're going to find it's a giant pain in the rear end to use anything but iTunes. :(

Join us in the Android world... One of us, one of us, gooble gobble

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to send some large (~500mb-1g) files to my siblings and parents directly, Skype will not let me do this. What is the most convenient way?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

GobiasIndustries posted:

I want to send some large (~500mb-1g) files to my siblings and parents directly, Skype will not let me do this. What is the most convenient way?

If you use Microsoft's OneDrive, you could move/copy the files to a OneDrive folder and share the folder via a link. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

Google Drive's free plan gives you 15GB of storage and you can generate a link to share files to people w/o a google account. https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822

Technically you're not sending the files your family "directly", as you're dealing with a cloud storage broker, but it'll get the job done.

e. Alternatively, you can put the files on some old USB flash drives and mail them. Depending on your upload speed it might actually be faster :cheeky:
e2. Whoh, OneDrive's free plan is only 5GB now? That's no fun. Better than the 2GB from dropbox, but still...

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 14, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you use Microsoft's OneDrive, you could move/copy the files to a OneDrive folder and share the folder via a link. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

Google Drive's free plan gives you 15GB of storage and you can generate a link to share files to people w/o a google account. https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822

Technically you're not sending the files your family "directly", as you're dealing with a cloud storage broker, but it'll get the job done.

e. Alternatively, you can put the files on some old USB flash drives and mail them. Depending on your upload speed it might actually be faster :cheeky:
e2. Whoh, OneDrive's free plan is only 5GB now? That's no fun. Better than the 2GB from dropbox, but still...

There isn't a decent free direct file transfer program available?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GobiasIndustries posted:

There isn't a decent free direct file transfer program available?
Resilio Sync (formerly BitTorrent Sync) is the sort of thing, I think. There's a very similar open source program that does the same thing called Syncthing. I've never used either.

Though if your main worry is the complication of setup and needing accounts and whatnot, rather than that your files never reside on a third party server, I've sent a bunch of stuff through WeTransfer successfully.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Btsync is pretty cool, the tech is flawless. Only tarnish is how they monetize it.

Syncthing is pretty much trash, especially for large (dozens of gigs) folders.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Seconded on Resilio Sync (aka, BT Sync). I use it here and there to share large files from one system to another without exposing those systems to the internet more than they need to be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It took me twelve hours to remember the name because I stopped using it a ways back, but "unison" is an interesting folder sync option too because it is on-demand only. If you're in a situation where you can't run a service for whatever reason it may be worth looking at. I think of it as a "smarter rsync."

https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
Is there any benefit to doing a clean install of Windows 10 from a USB drive/DVD instead of the "Reset this PC" or "Fresh Start" buttons that can be accessed in the settings? Is one way cleaner than the others?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Mak0rz posted:

Anyone have any idea where I can start troubleshooting this? Google turns up gently caress all.

I would blame the network adapter and just plug a new one in. Odds are, it'll sort it out and network cards are pretty cheap these days.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Is there any software, free or paid, that let's you run a memory test like memtest or passmark but has the option to save the results to a text file or PDF or xml or something? I have a lot of ram to test and need to keep records.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dont be mean to me posted:

Whoops.

Anything weird show up in Event Viewer around the time the Wi-Fi flakes out?

Sorry, late reply. It's not exactly something I can reliably reproduce, but it just happened again. Here's what I found:

According to Event Viewer, the system resumed from sleep at 17:51:54. Here's all the errors and warnings I found in the list immediately after that:

code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        e1dexpress
Date:          2017-06-14 17:51:55
Event ID:      27
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Mak0rz-ThinkpadT540p
Description:
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM
 Network link is disconnected.
code:
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date:          2017-06-14 17:52:08
Event ID:      10010
Level:         Error
User:          MAK0RZ-THINKPADT\jyrra
Description:
The server Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.8.12.15063_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca 
did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
Date:          2017-06-14 17:52:08
Event ID:      5973
Task Category: (5973)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      
User:          MAK0RZ-THINKPADT\jyrra
Description:
Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. 
See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
I notice those last two entries are relevant for another user who was using my computer before I was. I logged them out before signing into my account. I have noticed that the problem happens regardless of who's using the machine or which accounts are logged-in or not.

A few minutes later I see four of these, logged just a few seconds apart:

code:
Source:        AFD
Date:          2017-06-14 17:57:24
Event ID:      16002
Level:         Warning
User:          N/A
Description:
Closing a UDP socket with local port number 55945 in process 2440 is taking longer than expected. 
The local port number may not be available until the close operation is completed. 
This happens typically due to misbehaving network drivers. 
Ensure latest updates are installed for Windows and any third-party networking software including NIC drivers, firewalls, or other security products.  
Rather than bloat this post any further, I copied the table into a spreadsheet here. Let me know if you want a closer look at one of those entries.

EssOEss posted:

I would blame the network adapter and just plug a new one in. Odds are, it'll sort it out and network cards are pretty cheap these days.

Problem: this is a laptop.

Edit: forgot to mention that ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew didn't work, for what it's worth.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 15, 2017

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Mak0rz posted:

Problem: this is a laptop.

Try something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812315001

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm using wi-fi. I'm not sure if this happens on a wired connection, but I don't have a cable handy right now to test it. Also being tethered is not a useful long-term solution.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

I'm using wi-fi. I'm not sure if this happens on a wired connection, but I don't have a cable handy right now to test it. Also being tethered is not a useful long-term solution.

So open your laptop, find out what socket type the wifi card uses, and buy an appropriate replacement? You generally can't go wrong with a recent Intel 802.11ac one.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

So open your laptop, find out what socket type the wifi card uses, and buy an appropriate replacement? You generally can't go wrong with a recent Intel 802.11ac one.

Okay, but I'm still not replacing the hardware before confirming whether or not it's actually broken.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes replacing the hardware is how you confirm it was broken.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, but I'm still not replacing the hardware before confirming whether or not it's actually broken.

Get a USB wireless adapter, return it if it doesn't help.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mak0rz posted:

They're usually under $40, if that matters to you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

You have no way to confirm it's broken without replacing it. Additionally, the wireless card you have is out of date, since you have a Thinkpad T540p and those only shipped with an old 802.11b/g/n card in the first place, so buying an 802.11ac replacement will be straight up an improvement.

This m.2 slot style card appears to be the right kind to use, and is only ~$30 https://www.amazon.com/7260NGW-Intel%C2%AE-Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B00GUNZUG0

But you'll need to open the laptop to confirm what slot you have.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Doesn't Lenovo whitelist cards meaning you're stuck with whatever Lenovo approved as of the last firmware update?

Does it exhibit the same problems on another network?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Got this on my English Windows 10 installation today: http://imgur.com/a/3vAaR Could somebody translate it? Malware or wrong language patch notification?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Got this on my English Windows 10 installation today: http://imgur.com/a/3vAaR Could somebody translate it? Malware or wrong language patch notification?

Search Selector was a visible bit of English in there, and it appears to be bad news.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Uh, okay. Thanks for telling me!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

thebigcow posted:

Doesn't Lenovo whitelist cards meaning you're stuck with whatever Lenovo approved as of the last firmware update?

I'm not sure. Would be nice to know if a new card would be compatible before I upgrade it.

I'd consider just wiping the drat thing and reinstalling Windows but I don't have my external drive available right now to back up my junk. Is the "Refresh" option useful at all?

thebigcow posted:

Does it exhibit the same problems on another network?

I'm not sure. I could just lug my laptop to the library and keep sleeping/waking it over and over again but the somewhat random nature of this means that I probably won't be able to draw any conclusions if by chance it doesn't happen during that test run.

I tried googling event ID 16002 and pretty much everyone talks about servers, which is weird because I'm not running one. Most other people say it's fixed when they disable their third-party antivirus, which I don't use.

Then there's this guy, who has the same error but isn't experiencing the same symptoms I am.They replaced their wifi module with the same one to find it fixed poo poo all. They then upgraded it, which maybe possibly fixed it?

Note that waking from sleep isn't the only time this happens. Sometimes it will randomly happen during normal use, causing Chrome to lock up and whatnot. These events are rarer, but also self-correcting and things get back to normal in a couple of seconds. It's only "permanent" after waking from sleep.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Anyone know how to find out why or what process would be causing my computer to not throttle down the CPU like it normally would ? I use CoreTemp to monitor my computer and I can see when the computer is sitting idle at the desktop the CPU (i7 960 @ standard 3.2ghz) ramps down to 1.6ghz. Now something in the last few days has made it so the processor never drops below 2.4 - 2.5ghz, even with 0% load showing in CoreTemp and Task Manager. It's been throttling down fine for the last ~3 years and the only significant change in the last week was Windows Update doing its thing & installing updates on Tuesday.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I have a OneDrive from my Office 365 account, and can't get it to sync on my new laptop through either OneDrive ("Sorry, OneDrive can't add your folder right now"), or the old OneDrive For Business client.

I've done some Googling, and all the external permissions that usually cause this are fine.

Is there a reliable third party app I could use to sync with my OneDrive account? Given how many cloud storage options there are, there must be a good app that connects to a bunch of services that I can use for my malfunctioning OneDrive.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Also have another question. I'd like to have "work" and "home" user accounts, where work applications, files etc are only accessible from the work user account, and games, private files etc only accessible from the home account. Any good guides or software for setting this sort of thing up?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

LordAdakos posted:

Is there any software, free or paid, that let's you run a memory test like memtest or passmark but has the option to save the results to a text file or PDF or xml or something? I have a lot of ram to test and need to keep records.

Memtest86 (not Memtest86+) does a log file since v5, but that's also the version that stopped supporting non-UEFI BIOS if that matters.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What's the best way to remote into a computer on my home network from another computer on the home network?

My main computer is a desktop running Windows 10 and the computer I'd like to be able to log in to and control is a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10. The desktop is connected with ethernet and the Surface Pro 2 is using WiFi.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Remote Desktop will work for you since your Surface has W10 Pro.

You'll have to enable remote connections on the Surface first. Right-click on the start menu, choose System > Remote settings (on the left) > "Allow remote connections to this computer". (Or System > System info (on the right) > Remote settings (on the left) > "Allow remote connections to this computer" if the modern system menu pops up.) (Or search for 'allow remote' and pick the top match)

On your desktop, open up Remote Desktop Connection (in the search bar, type 'rdp'), plug in your Surface's IP address, and connect.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Actuarial Fables posted:

Remote Desktop will work for you since your Surface has W10 Pro.

You'll have to enable remote connections on the Surface first. Right-click on the start menu, choose System > Remote settings (on the left) > "Allow remote connections to this computer". (Or System > System info (on the right) > Remote settings (on the left) > "Allow remote connections to this computer" if the modern system menu pops up.) (Or search for 'allow remote' and pick the top match)

On your desktop, open up Remote Desktop Connection (in the search bar, type 'rdp'), plug in your Surface's IP address, and connect.

That worked like a champ. Thanks!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Is there an app or something to view crash logs for BSoD or certain games crashing? Recently Overwatch crashes for me and has given me BSoD twice with different reasons/causes. I'm on WIndows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html is what I use.