Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bombadilillo posted:

Apparently hypernerds are worried they will gimp the gameplay to appeal to western gamers.
why is this a fear when it didnt happen with the previous installments that came over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bombadilillo posted:

Really wish they HAD removed some crafting bullshit.
play toukiden

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

would that not happen if cross play were universal anyway?

I'm going to be honest. This is the same as the Minecraft thing. It's a decision that would cost Sony very little to nothing if they allowed this and the best defense people seem to be putting towards it is "f the other platforms I got mine"

Do you honestly think the Switch is going to become a rival for Sony's throne if this were enabled? That's patently ridiculous. I can't see a justification for this that isn't sour grapes.

The justification is its a business decision. gently caress capitalism and all that, but I dont know what you expect. Let me just gift you my superior user base instead of incentivize people to buy my console.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Awesome! posted:

play toukiden

I didnt like the aesthetics as much. :( And I really like MH portable. also :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

I would have agreed at one point, but I can play VR for hours on end without any issues at this point.

More importantly, Skyrim is a timesink you can go back to as frequently as you want for as long as you want and there's something new to do and see every time. No other PSVR title right now has open-ended continuous play like that, not even RE7 and Farpoint. I had hoped Elite would, but they don't seem to have gotten it working.

Bridge Crew comes close with the mission generator and the social aspects go a long way towards making repetitive content fun regardless, but it would still be good to have a gigantic solo game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This would incentivize people to buy the game from their store, because hey, the playerbase is more diverse now.

Instead the PS4 version of the game is now the objectively inferior version.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Instead the PS4 version of the game is now the objectively inferior version.
lol just stop dude

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They keep bringing up Skyrim at E3 because most people these days don't even know what Elder Scrolls is, let alone that Skyrim is the fifth one. They want Skyrim 2.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Awesome! posted:

lol just stop dude

I mean, missing features and parity with other platforms is exactly that in most cases, isn't it?

As in the previous instance, if this were literally anyone else people would be saying the same thing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Detective No. 27 posted:

They keep bringing up Skyrim at E3 because most people these days don't even know what Elder Scrolls is, let alone that Skyrim is the fifth one. They want Skyrim 2.

Skyrim 2 will be the ESO expansion I bet.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Sony is doomed

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have literally never said that.

But here, let's look at Sony's own words on the subject:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-sony-defends-decision-to-block-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

quote:

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation for why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Like, when your own representative effectively admits someone punched a hole in your reasoning, your position is pretty shaky.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Skyrim 2 will be the ESO expansion I bet.

That would almosy make up for ESO Morrowind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

More importantly, Skyrim is a timesink you can go back to as frequently as you want for as long as you want and there's something new to do and see every time. No other PSVR title right now has open-ended continuous play like that, not even RE7 and Farpoint. I had hoped Elite would, but they don't seem to have gotten it working.

Bridge Crew comes close with the mission generator and the social aspects go a long way towards making repetitive content fun regardless, but it would still be good to have a gigantic solo game.

Yeah. It's going to fill a much needed gap in PSVR's library. And frankly I think it would be a wildly different experience in VR as everything is. So to me the price tag sounds worth it while simultaneously it being a huge dick move making people pay full price for Skyrim literally a third time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, missing features and parity with other platforms is exactly that in most cases, isn't it?

As in the previous instance, if this were literally anyone else people would be saying the same thing.

I don't think anyone sayings it's a good thing for anyone that's not Sony, it just probably, at the very worst, this won't hurt Sony by an even noticeable margin.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah its a really loving disingenuous argument, if it were any game other than Minecraft people would be losing their poo poo itt. Sorry guys the new mechs in Titanfall 2 aren't coming to PS4 because business bullshit

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

I don't think anyone sayings it's a good thing for anyone that's not Sony, it just probably, at the very worst, this won't hurt Sony by an even noticeable margin.

so again we're back to "we got mine" in the end.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

lol just stop dude

haha a pipe dream bigger than sony cross play

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

homeless snail posted:

Sorry guys the new mechs in Titanfall 2 aren't coming to PS4 because business bullshit
happens all the time

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

TFRazorsaw posted:

so again we're back to "we got mine" in the end.

You have no idea what the deal looked like. You can say that "Sony had little to lose (other than exclusive ownership of the biggest playerbase)" but unless you were part of contract negotiations, you don't actually know if that's true. As a "what if," what if for Minecraft, MS put the screws to Nintendo and Sony on licensing fees and demanded hosting privileges while charging Azure service fees knowing it would cost Sony because of their playerbase and Nintendo agreed because they needed that userbase more and Sony fell back on their old license agreement because it cost them significantly less? I have no idea if it happened but it's one of many possibilities that explain why Sony didn't agree, beyond just Sony not wanting to share their userbase, which is itself an understandable enough reason.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the console versions of rocket league have exclusive cars. is the pc version objectively inferior?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bloodychill posted:

You have no idea what the deal looked like. You can say that "Sony had little to lose (other than exclusive ownership of the biggest playerbase)" but unless you were part of contract negotiations, you don't actually know if that's true. As a "what if," what if for Minecraft, MS put the screws to Nintendo and Sony on licensing fees and demanded hosting privileges while charging Azure service fees knowing it would cost Sony because of their playerbase and Nintendo agreed because they needed that userbase more and Sony fell back on their old license agreement because it cost them significantly less? I have no idea if it happened but it's one of many possibilities that explain why Sony didn't agree, beyond just Sony not wanting to share their userbase, which is itself an understandable enough reason.

bloodychill posted:

You have no idea what the deal looked like.

I literally just posted the reasoning they gave for it.

Awesome! posted:

the console versions of rocket league have exclusive cars. is the pc version objectively inferior?

a cursory search shows there are people frustrated by this, yes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TFRazorsaw posted:

public facing reasons are often not exactly the truth

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

Yeah its a really loving disingenuous argument, if it were any game other than Minecraft people would be losing their poo poo itt. Sorry guys the new mechs in Titanfall 2 aren't coming to PS4 because business bullshit

I mean it also applies to Rocket League, which goons do love but that isn't really charging our reaction here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Awesome! posted:

I mean there's kind of a big difference between car skins and the kind of things the PS4 version of Minecraft are gonna be missing out on, bigger worlds, 4k, the new hd texture pack junk

idk I don't care I'm just pointing out a lot of people are being shtity console warriors itt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh cool I guess we get to have that same 5 page argument about Minecraft cross play about Rocket league now. That was fun.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

TFRazorsaw posted:

My hypothetical actually falls within that reasoning, but that reasoning is probably bunk anyway as you actually pointed out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Awesome! posted:

public facing reasons are often not exactly the truth

So I should just take it on good faith that everyone else was bullying poor Sony

Like, I've been on the other side of the aisle on this when Nintendo was pulling this kind of thing, and I was rightly told what the problems with that were

It goes both ways

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TFRazorsaw posted:

a cursory search shows there are people frustrated by this, yes.
welp, i guess the only objectively superior way to play rocket league is on the xbox and switch now. pack it up people

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a difference between being a console warrior and just not being all that outraged because you just don't care

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

who are we supposed to be warrioring against?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think there's a difference between being a console warrior and just not being all that outraged because you just don't care
If people didn't care that much they wouldn't be making such an effort of breathlessly defending that stuff, they'd just be like "that sucks but oh well"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

start the thread.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

homeless snail posted:

they'd just be like "that sucks but oh well"

Awesome! posted:

maybe if i ever had trouble finding a match in rocket league i would care about this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Even NeoGaf largely believes this is a poor decision.

I think that speaks for itself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome! posted:

why is this a fear when it didnt happen with the previous installments that came over here

Capcom have made vague statements about the new one trying to appeal more to western audiences, or at least people have interpreted them as such. For a long MH was a popular in Japan game that had a small but hardcore following here and that was it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes. it says you take anything from neogaf seriously lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

start the thread

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel at least most of us are saying "that sucks, oh well" though, just, y'know, having more content by actually hypothesizing why that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope they make the new Monster Hunter game not super boring like the rest of them.