Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

So my Anova PC 1.0 says 800W and 120V, which I think works out to less than 7A. Is my math wrong? Maybe the newer PCs draw more, in which case 50% more heating power would be welcome!

Yeah looks like the old one should draw 6.6 and the new 900 W one should draw 7.5

I saw 10 on Reddit or something and assumed they were right. My mistake!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theres a will theres moe posted:

Yeah looks like the old one should draw 6.6 and the new 900 W one should draw 7.5

No, I appreciate it! I wouldn't have thought to check.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CrazySalamander posted:

Get your house checked out by an electrician.

ok cool

I just had one come by

he says 'hey your house is old as poo poo, we should probably rip everything out, that will be $10,000

hope this helps

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What do you think helocs are for? :confused:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
With the low-effort trolling of using Sous Vide to make pizza etc, I feel like this is appropriate: http://lifehacker.com/tag/will-it-sous-vide

For actual content, I'm thinking of moving from using my Anova in a stock pot to actually buying a plastic container specifically for it and a mesh baggie of pingpong balls. I think the consensus was the 12q Rubbermaid? I'm between 12q and 18q at any rate, unless there's secret goon knowledge of something better for the money.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheQuietWilds posted:

With the low-effort trolling of using Sous Vide to make pizza etc, I feel like this is appropriate: http://lifehacker.com/tag/will-it-sous-vide

For actual content, I'm thinking of moving from using my Anova in a stock pot to actually buying a plastic container specifically for it and a mesh baggie of pingpong balls. I think the consensus was the 12q Rubbermaid? I'm between 12q and 18q at any rate, unless there's secret goon knowledge of something better for the money.

I use the 12 quart rubbermaid for 90% of my cooks, and a 24 quart cambro for the rest.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
12 qt Rubbermaid here!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TheQuietWilds posted:

Is there a point to sous vide cooking escargot when it's been canned at 240°F

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've wanted to try this for a while but didn't get around to it. A bit ago I picked a deep fryer as my 10-year service award from work because what do I need a watch for, and Wegman's had these little thick 6-oz sirloins, so I wasn't going to screw up anything major.

With a shallot and red-wine compound butter I mixed up. Anyway, tastes great, and it was nice not heating the kitchen up with the stove burner, but not really better than normal pan-searing, the well-done exterior definitely extends a bit further into the meat. But a decent alternative.

Maybe if I can get my hands on some liquid nitrogen I'll try the cryosear thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you at least ice bath them first?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why is there a tumor sitting on top of your steak?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

TheQuietWilds posted:

With the low-effort trolling of using Sous Vide to make pizza etc

You take that back!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

namaste faggots posted:

I think it's chewing gum.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

baquerd posted:

I think it's chewing gum.

Duh, it's just a tough bit of steak that he spat out.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

TheQuietWilds posted:

This is what I cook in for the most part. Large enough for pretty much anything. Good insilation. Has a lid to prevent evaporation. Cost is minimal (you don't need the hinges and other poo poo if you don't want).

sterster posted:

Just purchased 25q Party Stacker Colamn cooler and other poo poo to use. Going to make one of these. I've really enjoyed SV pork for large groups and up next is a brisket so I need something bigger and more insulated for longer cook times.

Here are other people images.

Parts list for the blue cooler build.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMCLMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IZJ3TY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098PNZLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2ILXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G5LP2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you at least ice bath them first?

No, just out of the baggie from the fridge, dried off, into the fryer.

namaste faggots posted:

quote:

With a shallot and red-wine compound butter I mixed up.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

sterster posted:

This is what I cook in for the most part. Large enough for pretty much anything. Good insilation. Has a lid to prevent evaporation. Cost is minimal (you don't need the hinges and other poo poo if you don't want).

Thanks, this is a great idea. Scale from 1-10 how important is the plug/marine goop? I can borrow the hole-saw.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 15, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

TheQuietWilds posted:

Thanks, this is a great idea. Scale from 1-10 how important is the plug/marine goop? I can borrow the hole-saw.

I didn't end up doing the drain plug. It didn't seem that important and it's not that bad moving it when it's full of water. I just pour it down the sink. The hinges I got and ended up not putting them on just because...:effort:

I will say for smaller cooks like just 2 chicken breast I pull out the stock pot. I've been doing a lot of bbq lately though so porkbutt, brisket & ribs fit really well. Additionally if you're doing 4+ steaks or chicken breast this gives you enough room.

sterster fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Randyslawterhouse posted:

I thought it looked like brain matter. Everyone likes their steak with a lil' chunk of lamb brain on top.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Randyslawterhouse posted:

ABC sous vide is actually the ultimate way to prepare food.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I impulse bought the $110 Anova on Amazon 2 minutes ago. I'm about to go to the beach for a week... and it'll be here tomorrow. I know about the trick to water displace Ziploc Freezer bags, but is there anything else I should really know before potentially food poisoning up to 10 people this upcoming week because I'm too drunk on whisky to function? Any tips for beginners?

theres a will theres moe posted:

Power is voltage * amperage (P = V * I; 800W = 120V * I, solve for I).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Food poisoning is actually difficult with an immersion circulator if you cook reasonably sized foods (less than 4 inches thick) above 130° because it transfers heat so fast. My PID crockpot without circulation is actually kind of terrifying by comparison

If the cook is less than 2 hours and you gently caress up, it's not enough time for bacteria to grow dangerously, and if it's longer than 4 hours you'll know if something hosed up because the bacteria will create gases and the bag will puff up.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 16, 2017

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I put two 10lb pork shoulders into Foodsaver bags and sealed them yesterday. Into the bath at 165 they went for 23 hours. I come home from work today 30 minutes before they are to come out and I notice one of the bags has blown out. It's hard to tell, but I assume a tiny hole formed around the bone of one of my picnic shoulders and a bit of the liquid leaked out.

No harm, no foul, no weird smells and everything is cooked through. A soak of the Anova in CLR and vinegar rendered it brilliantly clean, and I threw the shoulders in my Weber Performer for another 3 hours at 300 F over Dragon Breath lump charcoal with a few chunks of cherry wood to get that quick blast of smoke and build up a nice bark before finishing at 203 internal.

loving magical stuff, my wife's coworkers are going to be blown away tomorrow.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

What do you think helocs are for? :confused:

hahahahah "debt"

lol :shobon:

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
What are everyone's thoughts on tri tip? Seems like it should work great, but I've seen some people say it's not worth it SV. I personally find tri tip to be too tough so I think a long cook could help it a bit.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Just because I am sous vide'ing anything that is not nailed down (new joule), I did four cubed steaks for 45 minutes at 134f. This was done mainly as a goof, but I liked that with the steak cooked before the light quick fry, they all turned out perfectly golden and tender at the cut.
Normally my breadcrumbs ended up getting to dark by the time the steak is done.

This makes me want to give fried chicken a shot.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 16, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
After we talked about it a few pages ago, I did fried chicken. I don't think it's an improvement over ATK's shallow-fry-to-oven method, so I would probably just do that next time with the same flavors. However, I used thighs because they were on sale; breasts might benefit enough to be worth it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hmm I might actually try puddling my next Vienna style schnitzel. They are breaded and then fried. But the thickness is minimal, so it is probably a waste of time, but f it improves the bread crust...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I throw a few cans of Vienna sausages in the bath every day and just let 'em rip until such time as I am motivated to consume them.

The nice thing is (aside from persistent readily available hot sausages) you can use the can juice to top off the bath each time your crack one open, which saves on the water bill.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In theory your sausage water would eventually be more flavorful than the sausages, as water keeps evaporating off and seasoning/flavoring is left behind.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Steve Yun posted:

In theory your sausage water would eventually be more flavorful than the sausages, as water keeps evaporating off and seasoning/flavoring is left behind.

He means his bath tub, not his sous vide you lepton :P

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Right I bought 4 veal schnitzel for tomorrow. I will prepare Vienna style schnitzel, I.e. lightly dust in flour then dunk in egg then bread and then fry in a pan with a lot of oil.

I will make 2 of these the traditional way and 2 sous vide. Now these things are very thin, I'd say 1/3" 0.7-0.9 mm at most, how long so you recon they need? I wanna say 54 c for about 45 mins, but maybe I should use a slightly lower temperature as they will be in the pan until the crust is good, which means they will become more done, so I could go for rare instead of medium rare and hope the pan sorts it out.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hopper posted:

Right I bought 4 veal schnitzel for tomorrow. I will prepare Vienna style schnitzel, I.e. lightly dust in flour then dunk in egg then bread and then fry in a pan with a lot of oil.

I will make 2 of these the traditional way and 2 sous vide. Now these things are very thin, I'd say 1/3" 0.7-0.9 mm at most, how long so you recon they need? I wanna say 54 c for about 45 mins, but maybe I should use a slightly lower temperature as they will be in the pan until the crust is good, which means they will become more done, so I could go for rare instead of medium rare and hope the pan sorts it out.

I bet the SV'd ones will be a little overdone or you'll feel compelled to take them out of the oil before they're very brown.

Maybe 54 C for 45 and then dust and freeze, then fry. That Kenji poo poo

But I am interested to read your results, however you decide to do it. I've never cooked cutlets SV.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The closest I've come to that is chicken tenders sv at 142 then ice bathed and panko breaded and fried. Panko browns pretty quickly and with oil 375-400 you can get it in and out without overlooking.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Any harm in doing a 48 hour cook in one of those disposable styrofoam coolers?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Man I love this thing (joule) Would it be wrong if I try to SV a twinkie later tonight?

Pretty sure my wife is setting up an intervention.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
10/10 would magnify again

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Reheating perfect BSCB slices in the microwave leads to epic failure. I have tried a few times and they are so chewy even after 15 seconds. I need to just use a little pan and a little water, right? No sense puddling three slivers to reheat.

At least they didn't explode this time. Exploding microwaved reheated sous vide chicken really sucks.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I was sous videing pork belly the other day for Chinese stuff, and I bagged one of the portions of pork belly with rosemary sprigs, fennel seeds and a bunch of salt to see what would happen after 16 hours at 165, and gently caress it turned out good.

There was no liquid in the bag so i guess it confited in its own fat or something, once it was chilled the stuff in there set up into what looked like aspic.

Straight out of the fridge you could mash it up into rillettes type stuff and spread it on bread, but sliced up and fried in a pan it got super crispy on the outside, really salty and intensely flavorful from the fennel and rosemary.

I'm gonna make more and use it diced up or cut into batons in spaghetti carbonara or with green beans or broccoli di rape or something.

I need to try other aromatics with pork belly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Meh my plans fell apart at the last minute, no sous vide veal schnitzel this weekend. But the plan still stands and I will report when I get to do it.