Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

sagacious posted:

So I want to do a subtitle LP of Abzu. Now I never done a sub LP before so I posted a test video to see if the subs are on screen long enough.
I'm curious what you guys think any help/advice on subbing is welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCb7ajndUvo

The rule of thumb I follow is: keep characters per second (the CPS column) between 10 and 15 (15 is already a bit on the fast side of things, I try to stick closer to 10 whenever possible), with a minimum of 2 seconds line duration.

Duration for the subs look good, only suggestions I have style-wise would be to bump up the font size a bit, and maybe give it some more distance from the bottom of the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

sagacious posted:

So I want to do a subtitle LP of Abzu. Now I never done a sub LP before so I posted a test video to see if the subs are on screen long enough.

Looks good, but leave a little room between the subtitles and the bottom of the screen. Also, when you have two subtitles in a row leave a few empty frames in between. It makes it easier to see that the subtitle changed when you're not looking at it.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
Alright thank you so much guys. You guys all agree on the font size and the spacing between the subtitles and the bottom.
I will mess around with the settings and see if I can do anything about that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really Pants posted:

So a priest walks into a party...The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

-A Faint Glitter of Light-

The epilogue installment of Falcom's Trails in the Sky JRPGs is finally out in English. Trails in the Sky the 3rd does away with some major conventions from the first two games. Estelle and Joshua Bright are no longer the main characters. Instead of roaming more-or-less freely around the Liberl Kingdom, The 3rd takes place in a huge linear dungeon much like the Altered Spaces from SC's Chapter 7. There are far fewer surprisingly-intricate backstories for random faceless townsfolk. Sidequests are a thing of the past, and you only ever have one goal: to fight your way through the dungeon and escape.

That must sound like a recipe for disaster, but I'd say The 3rd is the best yet--a wonderful send-off for the Trails in the Sky series and all the characters I've gotten to know and love.

I'm going to assume that anyone reading is already familiar with Trails in the Sky FC and SC, because...well, you kind of need to be if you want to have any bearing on what's going on.

I sure wish every job I had was this easy.

Is 640x480 an okay image size? Are any of my .GIFs too big?

maybe include the video that starts with the falcom logo that plays before the title screen because it's neat

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

sagacious posted:

I'm sorry that the url doesn't work any longer apparently my channel is taken down.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"
So I guess here's a draft of the intro post for the Pokemon Reborn LP.

The current draft right now is meant for an individual thread for the LP. DONGS here will be replaced in the following update by whatever the thread votes for.

When we reach the end of the then-current "episode" for Pokemon Reborn, I'll probably follow up with Pokemon Rejuvenation in the same thread since Pokemon Reborn is unfinished and Rejuvenation is directly inspired by it.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Definitely do that, I'm dying.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bydoless posted:

The current draft right now is meant for an individual thread for the LP. DONGS here will be replaced in the following update by whatever the thread votes for.

When we reach the end of the then-current "episode" for Pokemon Reborn, I'll probably follow up with Pokemon Rejuvenation in the same thread since Pokemon Reborn is unfinished and Rejuvenation is directly inspired by it.

You poor bastard, I wish you luck with this. One update in, and the game already looks like a huge trainwreck.

The update itself looks good, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bydoless posted:

Please make this LP.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PMush Perfect posted:

Please make this LP.

:same:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr. Fetus posted:

One update in, and the game already looks like a huge trainwreck.

You mean a huge train bombing. :v:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I don't know much about Pokemon is this a real thing or some fan made Pokemon for this terrible game

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Putty posted:

I don't know much about Pokemon is this a real thing or some fan made Pokemon for this terrible game

Larvesta is a real cute thing and its evolution is quite pretty.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
e: gently caress, wrong thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Putty posted:

that's one of the most important pokemon because it helps you hatch eggs faster, so when you're doing poke-eugenics, you can breed the perfect super pokemon faster.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

that's one of the most important pokemon because it helps you hatch eggs faster, so when you're doing poke-eugenics, you can breed the perfect super pokemon faster.

Or, you know, you could just grab a random Talonflame and not search for a Larvesta

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I see that youtube has gutted annotations, is there no way for me to pop something up in the video that people can click on to skip to a different time in the video?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Leal posted:

So I see that youtube has gutted annotations, is there no way for me to pop something up in the video that people can click on to skip to a different time in the video?

Well, apparently Youtube thinks that their new Cards feature is way better, but from what I can tell, it doesn't fit this case that well. It doesn't pop up automatically, though I think you can at least allow people to find a timestamped link that skips to a certain part of the video in the cards. That, however, will be there in the entire video, and if you want to do multiple skips, it's going to turn into a mess. Also, you'd have to tell the viewers how to use cards in the video because I assure you, nobody knows how this poo poo works yet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Well, apparently Youtube thinks that their new Cards feature is way better, but from what I can tell, it doesn't fit this case that well. It doesn't pop up automatically, though I think you can at least allow people to find a timestamped link that skips to a certain part of the video in the cards. That, however, will be there in the entire video, and if you want to do multiple skips, it's going to turn into a mess. Also, you'd have to tell the viewers how to use cards in the video because I assure you, nobody knows how this poo poo works yet.

Well poo poo, guess I'll need to edit in time stamps and verbally tell people where to skip if they wanna skip boring stuff.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Leal posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'll need to edit in time stamps and verbally tell people where to skip if they wanna skip boring stuff.

Could add links to the description, I guess.

e: actually that's probably exactly what you just said

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Test post incoming:

Satan Did Nothing Wrong: Let's Play Shadow of Destiny posted:

Shadow of Destiny is a time-travel murder-mystery adventure game. It was released in Japan and Europe as Shadow of Memories, and came out just about one year after the PS2 was initially released. So it's not strictly a launch title, but it was one of the two first games I bought when I first got a PS2 (the other being Zone of the Enders, because everyone had to have the MGS2 demo disc).

I loved the hell out of this game, despite its many flaws, because of the time travel theme and the strength of (some of) the writing. But nobody wants to hear me wax nostalgic for hours over really early PS2 graphics that haven't aged well, so I've brought Dan and Grace along with me for this ride. Grace is going into this completely blind, and even though Dan "one hundred percented this game twice" I still manage to show him some new things. To that end, I want to maintain a strict no spoilers policy. I know it's an old game but it was never really popular, and it really shouldn't be ruined for anyone who hasn't seen it before.

Episode 1: "Dog Mafia controls German town"

Is this too sparse an OP? And is the video quality/bitrate acceptable?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CirclMastr posted:

Test post incoming:

Is this too sparse an OP? And is the video quality/bitrate acceptable?

Mysteries live and die on their plot, so I'd include a 2-3 sentence opener to try to grab interest before you get into the dry historical details of when the game came out and where it was made. Those details very few people will care about compared to the fact that you play a protagonist who literally dies and is given a time machine by Satan in the first 5 minutes of the game.

As for the video it looks fine from a technical perspective. Video quality looks good, audio is balanced fine, etc.

As for presentation, I think nonstop talking over dramatic moments like the protagonist getting stabbed in the back REALLY drains them of all their punch, and I don't think it's a good fit for a plot-focused game like this, but if you want to do that style of LP then I guess that's your choice.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

As for presentation, I think nonstop talking over dramatic moments like the protagonist getting stabbed in the back REALLY drains them of all their punch, and I don't think it's a good fit for a plot-focused game like this, but if you want to do that style of LP then I guess that's your choice.

Yeah, you should really be laughing over them instead. :mmmhmm:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As someone who owns and has played that game, don't worry, you're going to see him get stabbed like sixty more times before the game ends.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I was reading a SSLP on the archive for a particularly bad point-and-click and now I can't for the life of me recall the name. What I remember (vividly) is it starting with someone stealing poo poo off big ben to give to the protagonist (pro thief, also female). Then going to a meeting on a ferris wheel with bad audio mixing, and finally some kind of heist in an art gallery where one of the major characters escapes capture with a bad french accent.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Lacedaemonius posted:

I was reading a SSLP on the archive for a particularly bad point-and-click and now I can't for the life of me recall the name. What I remember (vividly) is it starting with someone stealing poo poo off big ben to give to the protagonist (pro thief, also female). Then going to a meeting on a ferris wheel with bad audio mixing, and finally some kind of heist in an art gallery where one of the major characters escapes capture with a bad french accent.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Sounds like 15 Days.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

So, I've been recording some daily runs on the binding of isaac, but it seems like diversifying is going to be a good way to go forward here—going to start a walkthrough of sorts with the game. New save file, race to 1000000%, explaining stuff as we go. Any feedback regarding this tentative OP?

(The first walkthrough video should be done uploading in around an hour)

quote:

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSHx-9Cg13t06FS9TDBWypA
Playlist (includes older and uncommentated recordings): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5nBsKgB1S6O_48ZbUn_X_cthVmSSD-9p
I'm going to be alternating each day between a daily challenge upload, and the walkthrough videos. Sometimes I might do both if I'm feeling particularly inspired! These are usually online (done uploading) by around 6pm central time.

This game is packed full of content. It's going to be a wild ride to begin again. From scratch, it took me around 250 hours to complete the game, and this was before any DLC was released. I expect it will be a bit easier the second time around!
Some might be dismissive of it due to its M rating or otherwise silly toilet humor, but don't be so quick. The strange atmosphere belies its exceedingly fun and replay-able gameplay. A roguelike game, you pick a character and blast off, seeing how far you can go before you die or succeed. The objectives remain largely the same, but by the end of the run no two games are alike.

You start out with just ol' Isaac to choose from, but as you progress and kill your "mother" repeatedly (don't even get me started on the lore), you unlock characters, items, alternate floors, etc.
Each character has a unique set of starting HP and stats, but items are the biggest factor that will directly change your run. From abominable to carry-you-all-the-way, you just have to chalk it up to RNG. Eventually some nice dice items are unlocked to specifically say heck off to RNG, but that's a little ways down.
Not to be omitted are the little things; coins, bombs, keys, and the like. These are pretty self-explanatory; you can buy things in shop rooms. Keys open those shops. Other objects include pills, tarot cards, trinkets, all of which are extremely varied and best discussed in situ.
With the addition of the DLC, there is a new "Greed mode" game mode, which puts you in a gauntlet-type environment in which you have to fight enemies to earn money. This money can be spent in a huge, permanently-restocking store, so you can arm yourself against the unique final boss of that game mode! Personally, I despise Greed Mode, but I'll have to complete it on this brand new file.
There are also quite a few challenges that can be completed for unlocks; with those, you are given a certain character and starting items as well as some restrictions, and have to reach an arbitrary point to complete the challenge. To unlock a challenge in the first place, you typically need to unlock the starting items and destination that it goes to.

Episodes:
1—The Wrong Foot

On the other track, I've been doing the daily challenges since they started back in 2015, but only recently decided to record them with some semblance of commentary.
For these, everything is already unlocked, so it's a chance for anyone to prove their mettle. Things like the secret boss gauntlet and a secret boss are the highest priority, as they each contribute to a potential 9999 additional points, where scores are typically in the 30-50 thousand range. These opportunities are sealed over time, akin to something like Dead Cells. Getting there fast is paramount!
The rest of the score is an assortment of not getting hurt (damage penalty can rack up pretty quick) as well as how far you travel—the deeper, the better scoring.
Finally, there's a "schwag bonus". This is where the nonsense gets turned up to 11. It makes sense that having 99 of each consumable—keys, bombs, coins—would give you points here. The cap for those is around 5000 points. However, beyond that, touching a key, bomb, etc. on the ground adds a "pickup bonus". Essentially, the highest-scoring players almost always break the game in a such a way as to duplicate hundreds of consumable items and rack up the mathematical cap of schwag, around 15.5 thousand. Combined with a low damage penalty and maximum floor clearing, that's the key to success.
Rarely will you see me do that, though. If the game hands me the win, then I'll humor it a bit, but ultimately I like to see how nicely I can score by just performing well!
There are steam leaderboards for the game, but this website filters out the cheaters and hosts the scores in a much more accessible interface.

My own most recent scores can be found here: https://greedbutt.com/plus//player/76561198065761396

Episodes:
6/10/17
Check the playlist for older ones.

That's about it! If anyone wants to do a race or just co-commentate, I'm more than happy to give it a whirl!

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 11, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

that ivy guy posted:

So, I've been recording some daily runs on the binding of isaac, but it seems like diversifying is going to be a good way to go forward here—going to start a walkthrough of sorts with the game. New save file, race to 1000000%, explaining stuff as we go. Any feedback regarding this tentative OP?

(The first walkthrough video should be done uploading in around an hour)

The walkthrough video is still processing, but you might want to mention in your post that Isaac is a roguelike game (if you die you have to start over, but you permanently unlock items) that seems vaguely inspired by the gameplay of the original Legend of Zelda, but with way more poop humour.

I'm saying this because, one, you never describe what the game actually IS, and two, while I think most people will by now be familiar with Isaac, some might not be and I've talked to quite a few people who wouldn't even give the game a go because it looked gross. The gameplay is actually really good, and it won't do any harm to 'sell' the letsplay and the game by mentioning that.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

The walkthrough video is still processing, but you might want to mention in your post that Isaac is a roguelike game (if you die you have to start over, but you permanently unlock items) that seems vaguely inspired by the gameplay of the original Legend of Zelda, but with way more poop humour.

I'm saying this because, one, you never describe what the game actually IS, and two, while I think most people will by now be familiar with Isaac, some might not be and I've talked to quite a few people who wouldn't even give the game a go because it looked gross. The gameplay is actually really good, and it won't do any harm to 'sell' the letsplay and the game by mentioning that.

Good idea—I've updated the post to hopefully clear that up.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
To post or not to post, that is the question?

Let's Play Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Rayman 2 is the second installment in the Rayman franchise, and the most influential and widely played game in the series. Released just about on every platform in one way or another, Rayman 2 was one of those games that set the bar for 3d platformers, despite being an odd one in many ways.

More specifically, Rayman 2: The Great Escape is the non-PS2 version of the game (based off of the N64 version, if I'm not mistaken)

The story

As per the convention for the Rayman games, the story doesn't carry over between the first Rayman and this, or between this and the following Rayman games. In fact, just about the only similarity between Rayman and Rayman 2 is the titular character. Now, if you have played later games, you will know that the new 2d Rayman games, Origins and Legends, are, as far as their setting goes, a Rayman setting with infusions from Rayman 2 and, to a lesser extent, 3.

This thread is open spoiler zone, because the game is really old and it will probably take me a year to complete the LP.

Other Rayman LPs

Rayman 2 has an LP on the Archive, made by SirShakes and tentril about 5 years ago. Personally, I like it quite a fair bit, but judging by that thread, I am in the minority in that regard.
Rayman was LPd by nidoking back in the early days of LP, and although the videos are down, nidoking, being a benevolent entity that he is, is currently reuploading them to YouTube. Do recommend.
Rayman 3 has a very recent LP by yours truly. It went unnoticed and I think that rightly so, but it's the one goon-made LP of Rayman 3 out there, so I mention it.
Rayman Origins by wugga is his magnum opus and you should go watch it. Go watch it. Close this thread and go watch wugga's lp of Rayman Origins, seriously.

Other Rayman games, such as Rayman Legends, the PS2 version of Rayman 2, and Rayman M still await their goonquerors.

Rabbids are a lie and I will petition for a sixer for anyone who mentions them as if they are something that exists (myself excluded).

The LP

Generally the LP will have one level per episode (barring a couple of places where it's logistically unfeasible, you know what I'm talking about). I will not be 100% beating the entire game, because it's ultimately a waste of time to collect everything, although do expect me to get really close to it courtesy of me having memorized most early- and mid-game levels.

Videos

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 13, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, is it just me or has lpix.org been really, really slow lately?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The site's been up for years. Whenever it inevitably dies, I hope it's in a "we're shutting this down, someone pay upkeep for all the poo poo already on here" way, and not a waffleimages "oops everything broke" way.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
What exactly is slow? Uploading from the website, from a program like sharex or whatever? Browsing your galleries? Just loading images embedded in a thread?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

baldurk posted:

What exactly is slow? Uploading from the website, from a program like sharex or whatever? Browsing your galleries? Just loading images embedded in a thread?

Loading up the lparchive, loading pictures in a thread. Using chrome on my laptop - it works fine on mobile. I've refreshed my cache, but it's basically the only slow loading website? SA, google, etc load fine.

e: .... I'm an idiot. I just tinkered with ghostery - it decided to block everything on the lparchive because of an update and was slowing the whole thing down. :doh:

Sorry about the false alarm!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thinking of reviving my old Digimon World Dawn LP, this time without using so much audience participation that I murder myself in the attempt. Anything particularly stand out as obviously-awful after five(!) years sitting on a hard drive?

Edit Here's the OP, and the second half of that update.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 14, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Why not revive your old Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow LP?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ulmont posted:

Why not revive your old Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow LP?
Video editing is haaaaaaard

(Yeah, I've got an update in the works, I'll get that finished first.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'd like some input on a couple of test recordings for a possible Silent Hill 3 LP. These are just short clips of me running through the opening nightmare section without any commentary or anything, and I'm looking for opinions on which of the two display modes -- Normal or Sharp -- looks better. This is in the Sandcastle instead of the Tech Support Fort because there isn't really any tech issue here that needs solving.

Click the links below to see the videos. The screenshots give you some idea how the two modes look, but they really need to be seen in motion to fully appreciate the difference.

Normal: By default, SH3 on PS2 uses some sort of a post-processing filter to smooth out jaggies and shimmering. As you can probably tell from the screenshot, the filter certainly does the job, but the side effect is that the image is blurred quite heavily. This can make for some rather murky presentation, especially with Youtube's video compression.

Sharp: This mode can be activated from the Extra Options menu. It removes the blur filter, but also makes the aliasing and shimmering artifacts much more obvious in the process (this, of course, doesn't come across in the screenshots). Once again, Youtube's compression isn't doing the presentation any favors, especially with SH3's noise effect active. I could turn that off to get an extremely crisp and clean image, but I think Silent Hill is meant to be seen with the noise effect enabled.

I slightly prefer the Sharp display mode (frankly, neither mode is optimal), but I thought I'd ask what other folks think. I doubt I'll be doing the LP anytime soon, but it's good to get this stuff sorted out before I start working on the actual videos.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 15, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I don't know if it's really an option, but personally neither of those options look great. I thought that comparatively the PC version just looked better:

But I've never been a fan of noise filters, bloom, or whatever other effects they wanted to add. So take that how you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I think the PC version just looks kind of flat (albeit really clean and smooth), and the PS2 version with all the effects disabled and sharp display mode activated pretty much just looks like that, just at a lower res. I guess I could do another test video with those settings and see how that works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i03v5pqYZGU

I somehow managed to get hit twice by a Pendulum here, but never mind that. There's still quite a bit of shimmering going on in sharp display mode, more so than I remembered from earlier test runs (including in the menu for some reason) and it still doesn't look that great, so let's see how normal mode fares with the effects disabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otS3AJNRMgg

I think this might be the most attractive option. It's a bit blurry for my liking, but the shimmering artifacts are minimized and the presentation looks quite solid overall. Still, I'd like to hear more opinions before I decide which settings I'll eventually pick for the actual videos.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 15, 2017