Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phil Mickelson, who needs only the U.S. Open to complete the career grand slam, is skipping this year's event to attend his daughter's graduation. That makes sense, you say. But it's her HIGH SCHOOL graduation. I didn't even go to my own high school graduation. Skip the U.S. Open when she graduates from college, not high school. Have some respect for yourself when you're head of a famous wealthy family jfc.

http://www.usopen.com/

As for the course, it's not your typical U.S. Open layout and players are already complaining about it.

Air Times (ET)
Fox is trying to bolster their failing (SAD!) Fox Business and Fox Sports 1 channels by moving their ESPN First Take knockoff, Undisputed with Skip and Shannon, and their money honeys Maria Bartiromo and Liz Claman to Erin Hills for the week.

Thu/Fri: 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. Fox Sports 1; 6 - 9 p.m. Fox
Sat/Sun: 11 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. Fox

Streaming of featured groups on USOpen.com and iOS/Android will be available 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. Thu/Fri and 11 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Sat/Sun.

Marquee Tee Times (ET)
8:51 a.m. / 2:36 p.m. – Hideki Matsuyama, Rickie Fowler, Jon Rahm
9:35 a.m. / 3:20 p.m. – Martin Kaymer, Jordan Spieth, Dustin Johnson
2:36 p.m. / 8:51 a.m. – Bubba Watson, Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia
2:47 p.m. / 9:02 a.m. – Henrik Stenson, Charl Schwartzel, Louis Oosthuizen
3:09 p.m. / 9:24 a.m. – Jason Day, Justin Rose, Rory McIlroy

Odds
Dustin Johnson 7/1
Rory McIlroy 12/1
Jason Day 14/1
Jordan Spieth 14/1
Jon Rahm 20/1
Rickie Fowler 20/1
Adam Scott 25/1
Justin Rose 25/1
Sergio Garcia 25/1
Henrik Stenson 33/1
Hideki Matsuyama 33/1
Justin Thomas 33/1

Betting Pool
Pick an available player who hasn't won a major in the last 3 years. Best finisher gets a dozen balls or :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Duf Daddy
DJExile: Rickie Fowler
shyduck: Adam Scott
Keyser_Soze: Justin Thomas
Kameh: Justin Rose
Bilirubin: Lee Westwood
daslog: Jon Rahm
Shrapnig: Hideki Matsuyama
EnsGDT: Bill Haas
Douchebag: Steve Stricker
Frank Viola: Pat Perez
mattfl: Bubba Watson

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm in for Rickie Fowler

also holy lol gary player bitched about the course, got called out by Robert Trent Jones, then had an astounding overreaction to it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'll take Adam Scott.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Shane Lowry :guinness:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a sneaking suspicion that Justin Rose or Matt Kuchar will win our pool.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
loving Christ. One of two things needs to happen.

1. Whatever school Phil sends his kids to: Stop scheduling graduation during the U.S. Open!
2. Phil's daughter needs to tell daddy to buck the gently caress up and go play golf.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Justin Rose.

But can I still pick Sergio?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I'm not a golfer, and I'm not a huge golf fan, but it's the US Open and it's pretty drat closed to where I live and I'm strongly considering going just to say I've been to one. Any advice for watching golf live, especially at a major event? I'd be going Thursday, if it matters.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yes. Pick a spot on the course where you can see multiple fairways, greens, or teeboxes. Don't shout stupid poo poo ever. Buy a cool hat or shirt in the clubhouse.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Live golf is a good time. Have fun and don't forget sunscreen.

Also, I recommend bringing those cloth folding chairs that you can sling over your shoulder.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 13, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Justin Rose or Matt Kuchar will win our pool.

Dammit, was going to pick Kuchar.

Gimme Ryan Palmer then.

(I know next to nothing about pro golf)

E. scratch that. Lee Westwood. I have a feeling.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 13, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Dammit, was going to pick Kuchar.

Gimme Ryan Palmer then.

(I know next to nothing about pro golf)

E. scratch that. Lee Westwood. I have a feeling.
You can pick Kuchar. I didn't choose him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Yes. Pick a spot on the course where you can see multiple fairways, greens, or teeboxes. Don't shout stupid poo poo ever. Buy a cool hat or shirt in the clubhouse.

All of this. Also put your phone on silent, then turn it off.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'll take Jon Rahm because Crazy Spaniards are a good thing.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

daslog posted:

I'll take Jon Rahm because Crazy Spaniards are a good thing.

This might be the pick. He has his one blow up round, but he was low amateur last year at the US Open (T-25 or so) and has been in contention (and won) on Tour as a professional.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ooh yeah John Rahm is a fun pick

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Coco13 posted:

I'm not a golfer, and I'm not a huge golf fan, but it's the US Open and it's pretty drat closed to where I live and I'm strongly considering going just to say I've been to one. Any advice for watching golf live, especially at a major event? I'd be going Thursday, if it matters.

If you're going to make a whole day of it, pick an early group that has a good golfer or two, maybe someone you like, but not a marquee group ie: not Spieth, Rory, DJ, Day, and follow them around 18 so you can see the whole course. If that's not your style/gets boring, just post up at a cool bleacher / vantage point and have at it, you'll get to see most of the golfers come through.

I typically do both, follow a group in the morning, grab some lunch, then head back out to a cool (sometimes literally) spot for the rest of the day.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

You can pick Kuchar. I didn't choose him.

Nah I'll stick with Westwood. And if Kuchar wins we can both cry.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVQQ1f6gki2/?hl=en

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fun facts about Erin Hills: they sell the trimmings from the rough to local Amish farmers for feed (because there's so much of it), who in turn give them furniture for the course and a nearby hotel.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/golf/2017-us-open/2017/06/09/amish-play-part-erin-hills-aesthetic-appeal-leading-up-u-s-open/379044001/

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2017

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Matsuyama don't fail me again!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

...and here's a man who has never lived somewhere moccasins and rattlesnakes commonly inhabit. Crawl through some poo poo like that around here and you'll be snake bit, eaten alive by ticks and mosquitoes, and possibly mauled by alligators.

I guess that's the price we pay for year around golf :D

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

LOL at Rory telling everyone if they can't hit a fairway when they are 50-60 yards across to pack their bags and go home is great poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rory doesn't talk poo poo often but he's great when he does

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I hate him but gimme Poulter cause y'all picked the guys I want already

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'll take Stricker for this.

Even though I think Sergio wins.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Douchebag posted:

I like this guy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Douchebag posted:

I like the Stricker pick. Home game, #1 in fairways. Length will be an issue but it always is for Stricker.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
My friend is a Wisconsin based sports reporter and is at the Open, so go follow her and like her posts and poo poo

https://twitter.com/melissaykim

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I like the Stricker pick. Home game, #1 in fairways. Length will be an issue but it always is for Stricker.

Solid putter, doesn't need length if he can hit the fairways, and so what he's hitting 7 iron when the demigods are hitting a wedge.

He'll probably miss the cut but go Strick.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phil has decided to not play. Which is dumb because the fairways are literally 60 yds wide and his finishes since The Masters are T18, T41, T29, T22, and 9.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Phil has decided to not play. Which is dumb because the fairways are literally 60 yds wide and his finishes since The Masters are T18, T41, T29, T22, and 9.

Has he withdrawn, or he's assuming he can't play due to timetables?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Has he withdrawn, or he's assuming he can't play due to timetables?

He has not officially withdrawn yet. He would need everything in his daughter's grad ceremony to go really smoothly/quickly, and get 4 hours worth of weather delays in order to make it.

quote:

"I need a four-hour delay," Mickelson said. "I need a minimum four-hour delay most likely. That's the way I kind of mapped it out. I should get into the air right around my tee time or just prior, it's about a three-hour-and-twenty-minute flight, and by the time I get to the course I would need a four-hour delay. Last night there was a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms on Thursday; right now it's 20 percent. Who knows. … It's not looking good, but it's totally fine."

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
That's what I had last read. Checking the forecast, it doesn't look like it'll rain at all Thursday.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Douchebag posted:

LOL at Rory telling everyone if they can't hit a fairway when they are 50-60 yards across to pack their bags and go home is great poo poo.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/u-s-open-2017-usga-cuts-down-rough-rory-mcilroy-says-pros-should-be-fine/

They chopped the fescue down anyway.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I have to say I agree with Rory's comments in that article. Also, does carrying a machete count towards your 14 club limit?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I'll take Rory, love him calling out the rest of the field like that, or is he still technically under the last 3 year rule?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

weak poo poo, that.

Rory, keep doing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do I switch my pick to JB Holmes now???

• Locked thread