Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Are factory refurb sets something to avoid?

eBay has a Vizio P602ui-B3 for $600 with free shipping. Looks like a good deal but 1) shipping a TV to my door worries me and 2) refurb seems risky (although I've personally never had a bad experience with refurb)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-P-Series-P602ui-B3-60-Ultra-HD-4k-LED-Smart-Wi-Fi/132216726631

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
here's a 65" B6 for 2470 shipped, is there any reason not to pull the trigger on this?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Newer Samsung sets have a steam link app available now. I played with it this morning on my KS8000 and it seems to work as well as the steam link box. 4K support is forthcoming.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DevCore posted:

Are factory refurb sets something to avoid?

eBay has a Vizio P602ui-B3 for $600 with free shipping. Looks like a good deal but 1) shipping a TV to my door worries me and 2) refurb seems risky (although I've personally never had a bad experience with refurb)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-P-Series-P602ui-B3-60-Ultra-HD-4k-LED-Smart-Wi-Fi/132216726631

We have 5 factory refurbed Vizios in our offices and they've all operated flawlessly for about 2 years now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bewbies posted:

here's a 65" B6 for 2470 shipped, is there any reason not to pull the trigger on this?

If you use EBates you get 5% cash back on this.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Dogen posted:

Newer Samsung sets have a steam link app available now. I played with it this morning on my KS8000 and it seems to work as well as the steam link box. 4K support is forthcoming.

Wow wait, what?

Really?

This is gold, Jerry, GOLD!

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jeez, what are the odds of something like that coming out on LG sets? I was just thinking about buying one of the boxes.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Here's the real question I know the Steam Link box supports the Bone controller, but I wonder whether my TV can sense that and pick up on it too... My gaming PC is downstairs across the house and is on wired ethernet, but my TV is on wifi.

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

bewbies posted:

Deals like this never ship to Canada. I'd save like $2000 if it did.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TomR posted:

Deals like this never ship to Canada. I'd save like $2000 if it did.

Got a friend in Seattle? Rent a trunk for cheaper.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Dogen posted:

How does a controller pair to the tv? Can I use USB or does it have to be something blue tooth?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

the good fax machine posted:

Jeez, what are the odds of something like that coming out on LG sets? I was just thinking about buying one of the boxes.

Quoting myself but I just did a little quick research, and there are a bunch of news articles from October detailing that this functionality was going to come to Samsung sets due to a partnership with Steam and Samsung. So it doesn't look like there are plans to bring this to other manufacturers' sets right now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Horn posted:

How does a controller pair to the tv? Can I use USB or does it have to be something blue tooth?

Apparently these TVs can pair bluetooth devices.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here's the real question I know the Steam Link box supports the Bone controller, but I wonder whether my TV can sense that and pick up on it too... My gaming PC is downstairs across the house and is on wired ethernet, but my TV is on wifi.

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

In theory the current version of the 'bone controller should work on anything that supports Bluetooth HID gamepads. The older versions only have the proprietary WiFi-based wireless connectivity requiring a dongle which I don't believe is supported on anything but Win10 yet.

WiFi to the TV might be a problem if it's not at least 5GHz 802.11n. My Steam Link works mostly OK on 802.11ac.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

wolrah posted:

In theory the current version of the 'bone controller should work on anything that supports Bluetooth HID gamepads. The older versions only have the proprietary WiFi-based wireless connectivity requiring a dongle which I don't believe is supported on anything but Win10 yet.

WiFi to the TV might be a problem if it's not at least 5GHz 802.11n. My Steam Link works mostly OK on 802.11ac.

Yeah my router is the AC1900 which has been frustratingly inconsistent on a 100 mbit fiber connection.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 14, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah my router is the AC1900 which has been frustratingly inconsistent on a 100 mbit fiber connection.

How many walls is it going through? 5GHz absolutely gets killed by walls. I just gave up and bought an AV2 "2000 mbit" powerline kit to connect to where my 4K TV is because the powerline network's rock solid ~40mbit up and down is more reliable than the sometimes 80mbit sometimes packet loss that I was getting over 802.11ac.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I plugged a PS4 controller straight into the USB port on the oneconnect box and it picked it up. If you have a dongle you could do wireless presumably. I had my ps4 controller set up bluetooth through my steam link box also, I could try and figure it out with the TV but :effort:

Supposedly only the steam controller is supported right now but like I said the PS4 controller plugged straight in worked fine

I have it set on beautiful rendering and my TV is up on an 802.11ac airport extreme (pc is wired into that router) and I don't get frame drops, says about 17ms latency. Probably only 10ish feet from the TV to the airport, goes through the wall the TV is mounted on. I messed around with Prey and I had to adjust the video settings on the tv but it ended up looking fine. I also have a moca 2 connection I could wire the TV into but back when I was actually using the apps on it wifi was fine. Once 4K comes out we'll see if I need to wire it up I guess.

My main monitor is actually 1440p and I'm shooting for 30-60fps on that so my setup is overkill for the 1080p that is currently supported.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 14, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Twerk from Home posted:

How many walls is it going through? 5GHz absolutely gets killed by walls. I just gave up and bought an AV2 "2000 mbit" powerline kit to connect to where my 4K TV is because the powerline network's rock solid ~40mbit up and down is more reliable than the sometimes 80mbit sometimes packet loss that I was getting over 802.11ac.

Several, several walls. Hence wireless. I just contracted my internet company to add drops to the already existing Cat-5 in the wall, though, so for a couple hundred bucks that should fix the problem once and for all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For a good 50-55" (non oled, still too pricey for me) tv which would be a better value, a ks8000 or vizio m55? Or something else?

That steamlink app on the samsung has me intrigued now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

priznat posted:

For a good 50-55" (non oled, still too pricey for me) tv which would be a better value, a ks8000 or vizio m55? Or something else?

That steamlink app on the samsung has me intrigued now.

I mean grain of salt here, you could just BUY a Steam Link for $50, but you know.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I mean grain of salt here, you could just BUY a Steam Link for $50, but you know.

Yeah, very true. A sensible solution.

But even apart from the apps steam link, is the samsung worth it over the vizio is the bigger question.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Steam Link also seems to go for 50% off whenever there is a Steam sale, so maybe keep an eye out for the upcoming one (rumored to be 6/22-7/5). I think I'm just going to do that, rather than wait and hope for an app to come out on the LGs.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Yeah I picked a Steam Link box for $20 about 3 weeks ago.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I will say if your PC can handle 4K, the current box hardware is not capable (I think it has a HDMI 1.4 unless they've changed it), and supposedly the app will support it soonish.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know this is somewhat outside the main topic of this thread, but has anyone here mounted a TV above a fireplace? It's something we're considering for our new house because there isn't really any better location for the TV, but we also definitely want to keep (and occasionally use) the fireplace. My wife was concerned about heat, but I don't really think there's much risk of an LCD/LED TV getting too hot from a relatively small fireplace while not powered on. The other concern is ash/soot particles, but we plan to cover it with some sort of door & enclosure thing when not in use, so I think that's good.

The remaining concern is viewing height. It definitely wouldn't be at eye level above the fireplace (though it's not terribly high), so I'm looking into the possibility of a wall mount that also swings down. From my research it looks like the 2 heavy-hitters in this department are MantelMount and Down And Out Mount. It looks like MonoPrice also has a budget option available.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

I know this is somewhat outside the main topic of this thread, but has anyone here mounted a TV above a fireplace? It's something we're considering for our new house because there isn't really any better location for the TV, but we also definitely want to keep (and occasionally use) the fireplace. My wife was concerned about heat, but I don't really think there's much risk of an LCD/LED TV getting too hot from a relatively small fireplace while not powered on. The other concern is ash/soot particles, but we plan to cover it with some sort of door & enclosure thing when not in use, so I think that's good.

The remaining concern is viewing height. It definitely wouldn't be at eye level above the fireplace (though it's not terribly high), so I'm looking into the possibility of a wall mount that also swings down. From my research it looks like the 2 heavy-hitters in this department are MantelMount and Down And Out Mount. It looks like MonoPrice also has a budget option available.

I will come in and shill for mantel mount again, it's loving amazing. Pricy yes but installs better/easier than the dynamic mounting one (I tried both) and has a handle. Let me know if you have questions about it, I tore up my wall to run the cabling and conduit and did a lot of test fitting to get it as low as possible. The center of the screen is at eye level in the down position. It also automatically centers as it's raised, and has stops to keep it from smashing your mantel if you want to screw them in. Filter for my posts and after wading through me saying MANTEL MOUNT over and over I think there are some mid-install pictures.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Yeah, or find another wall to mount it on. I very nearly went with an above mantel mount (not the convertible he's talking about) and instead put the TV on another wall. I'd still like it just a shade lower. Like, as low as possible. Lower than you think. Big, low TVs are amazing

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

32" off the floor is my sweet spot for the lowest part of the TV.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GreenNight posted:

32" off the floor is my sweet spot for the lowest part of the TV.

Yeah mine is probably up at 34-36" and there are still moments where I think "man this is just slightly too high" - like the mount has a little tilt to it and it looks REALLY good and it's far lower than most other people I know and it was hell to find a credenza that fit comfortably below it

(https://www.amazon.com/Simpli-Home-Draper-Century-Medium/dp/B01AACK5FM)

But still, lower is better.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, I'd put it somewhere else if possible but it's really not -- there's really only one room that works as an "everybody sit down around this thing" room. The only other wall in the room that would work is the one opposite the fireplace, meaning the couch would be facing away from and blocking the fireplace, or diagonal/sideways at an uncomfortable viewing angle. Or if we put the TV next to the fireplace (and figured out a way to balance it so it doesn't look horribly off-center), putting a couch in front of it would likely block one of two doorways.

Thanks for the re-recommendation, uwaeve -- I'll do a little more research but probably end up going with the MantelMount. I'm not finding too much info about the MonoPrice one -- partially because even their own store page shows a generic "how to install a TV mount" video rather than something useful -- but it sounds like it just has 2 resting positions rather than remaining stable anywhere you move it, which doesn't sound promising. And MantelMount appears to have $70 off this week (even on Amazon) so it's looking good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

When I watch those home shows on HGTV and they always have the TV super high up, I'm annoyed. No one wants to watch TV like that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Our TV is probably more than 48 inches off the floor, but with little ones that's just a compromise we had to make. Even now they try to climb on the equipment stand from time to time, and we have the fingerprints to prove it.

In a few years, though....

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Our TV is probably more than 48 inches off the floor, but with little ones that's just a compromise we had to make. Even now they try to climb on the equipment stand from time to time, and we have the fingerprints to prove it.

In a few years, though....

Same here, although I put the mount in the wall when I had the old TV, which has the VESA mounts centered. The new one has the mounts at the bottom, so it went from being fairly high to really high. There's only like a foot and a half between the ceiling and the top of the set. I also made the mistake of putting the outlet too high, so I'm really not sure if I even want to make the effort to move the mount down. The last thing I want is for that to be visible. But at the very least I know the baby isn't going to get her grubby prints all over the bottom half of the TV.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm actually staring at a blank wall right now in my new apartment. I was inclined to mount it high enough that we'd be able to hang coats underneath it, around chin height for the bottom of the set.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Speleothing posted:

I'm actually staring at a blank wall right now in my new apartment. I was inclined to mount it high enough that we'd be able to hang coats underneath it, around chin height for the bottom of the set.
eww

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I have a down and out right height mount and it works well. It brings the tv down from way too high to pretty close to just right.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Possibly the wrong thread, but does anyone know the difference between the Sony MP-CL1 and MP-CL1A laser projectors? The 'older' revision is $100 cheaper.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/mp-cl1a

Anyone have any personal experience with these projectors? I saw one on display but it was projecting through an acrylic anti-theft display case which was all scratched up. As a $300 for a device which quotes a 10,000 hour device lifetime, I'm wondering if it's a decent replacement for a 10-year-old 720p 32inch TV.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I recently purchased a Sony XBR55X900E. I'm using a sound bar and it's blocking the IR receiver. I have to lift the controller in the air at an angel to the remote to work. Any ideas to fix this?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

obi_ant posted:

I recently purchased a Sony XBR55X900E. I'm using a sound bar and it's blocking the IR receiver. I have to lift the controller in the air at an angel to the remote to work. Any ideas to fix this?

Move the sound bar.

I don't know, maybe a mirror on the ceiling? Couple of short 2x4s under the TV stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Speaking of mounted TV height. I just finished my basement and didn't know what size TV I would be putting in the space. I told my contractor to put the mount halfway between the ceiling and built in cabinet so that I would be safe for any size TV that I got plus a sound bar to be mounted between the TV and the cabinet. I figured half way means it would be impossible to run into a problem if I wanted a monster TV and not have it hit the 7 foot ceiling.

Well... I clearly mounted the TV too high for my tastes. I put a 47 inch on the wall from another room temporarily and it seems too high for normal sitting. I will say that if I am sitting in the recliner and sitting back it actually kind of works with where your head naturally looks. But sitting upright, the height really upsets me that it is not the natural eye line.

Anyway, I have no idea how to move the mount at this point without causing some serious damage to the wall. I guess the solution is to just get a bigger TV. Was thinking of going to 55 inch from the 47 I have now