Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

aejix posted:

Consult a good sports physio though, you may have some genetic/physical quirks that make one particular type of exercise better or worse for you. She gets a good run in this thread already but seriously check out Maria Mountain for goalie specific exercises. Her click-baity way of promoting herself is loving awful but her content and knowledge is absolutely top shelf.

This, I got a lot better in a short period of time doing her workouts consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I think I'm going to call it. Time of death of my goaltending: 2016. It's impossible to find a non-crazy beginner/low-int pickup here in Toronto and I'm not driving 40+ minutes to go to my old digs.

Which is disappointing because I'm in the best shape of my life. Dropped 50lbs and energetic as gently caress. Oh well, it was a nice hobby I had once :smith:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Ugh I think I'm going to call it. Time of death of my goaltending: 2016. It's impossible to find a non-crazy beginner/low-int pickup here in Toronto and I'm not driving 40+ minutes to go to my old digs.

Which is disappointing because I'm in the best shape of my life. Dropped 50lbs and energetic as gently caress. Oh well, it was a nice hobby I had once :smith:

I drive 35-40ish minutes like three times a week to play in my leagues :colbert:. It is a bit much, but I enjoy it a lot, so it's whatever.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

drat man, for three years I used to drive a 7 hour round trip to play once a week when I was first starting, and still occasionally have to make 2 hour round trips to the furthest rink now I'm back in the city, with a 4 hour round trip twice a season (worth it for the Austrian schnitzel house on the way home). You can do 45 minutes man! Cash in on all that hard work!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You guys are.. more dedicated than I am :stare:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I too suffered a 2 hour drive, one way, to play hockey for about a 6 month period when my main rink was down.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
Not the GDT haha

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh I say I'm done but this winter I'll probably try again.

This is just too fun :(

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpxQrd-s17A

Winter/Spring Championship game with a longgggg ending.

I'm pretty fortunate hockey/distancewise, most of my skates are sub 20mins and it has to be a drat good skate if its >30mins away for me to take interest. Marty have you tried playing a bit higher for a bit? I'm sure you'd adjust to the pace, there has to be some skates looking for a keep in Toronto right?

titanium fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 12, 2017

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Everything is about 30-40 minutes for me, but I live in the UK so I am probably quite lucky to be so close to a rink.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I lucked out and ended up living within 20-30 minutes to five rinks (six during the WHL season) and three leagues.

titanium posted:

Marty have you tried playing a bit higher for a bit? I'm sure you'd adjust to the pace.

This. I personally find that I end up playing much better in faster paced, higher skilled games...to a point.
It'd be a rough couple of goes, but worth it. That and it's networking for other teams/skates.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My rink choices are 40 minutes and 2 hours. That's what I get for living in the South.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

titanium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpxQrd-s17A

Winter/Spring Championship game with a longgggg ending.

The quality on this video is amazing.

I've got a rink 15 minutes away, (my main rink) 25 minutes away, another one 35 minutes away, then another couple 45 minutes away that I've either never been to or only been to once.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

The quality on this video is amazing.

I've got a rink 15 minutes away, (my main rink) 25 minutes away, another one 35 minutes away, then another couple 45 minutes away that I've either never been to or only been to once.

Thanks, I just got a Gopro 5 and spent 5 mins tinkering in Premiere elements. Low ISO still stuffers a bit on gopros but thats to be expected with such a small sensor.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm in Perth, Australia and live about 10-15 minutes from two different rinks. The third is about 40 minutes away. The fourth is about 4 days non-stop driving away.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zip! posted:

Everything is about 30-40 minutes for me, but I live in the UK so I am probably quite lucky to be so close to a rink.

Honestly, so long as you live somewhere vaguely close to a city, you should be close to one.

I'm in 30/40 minutes driving distance of three rinks, Guildford, Basingstoke and Bracknell.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

I'm in Perth, Australia and live about 10-15 minutes from two different rinks. The third is about 40 minutes away. The fourth is about 4 days non-stop driving away.

The adelaide rink is fuckin sweet, we had a tourney there in February and one corner of the rink had a bar where you could sit and slam $4 beers for hours watching hockey from basically right up against the glass in the corner.

I mean the rink is pretty old and run down (going down a narrow-rear end flight of stairs in full gear was a pain in the rear end) but the bar redeemed all other shortcomings.

Getting lit up 7-0 against a bunch of ex-pro Finnish dudes (youngest guy on their team was like 48, with a bunch of over 60s) was loving awesome too.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Spookydonut posted:

I met 3 guys from Australia at the GGUS Chicago camp last year, how big is the hockey community out there?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

titanium posted:

I met 3 guys from Australia at the GGUS Chicago camp last year, how big is the hockey community out there?

Never forget Phil's mask.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

titanium posted:

I don't know what non-AIHL hockey is like in other cities but here theres 4 full contact teams in "premier league", then theres div 1-3 of non checking, probably about 6-10 teams per division.

aejix posted:

The adelaide rink is fuckin sweet, we had a tourney there in February and one corner of the rink had a bar where you could sit and slam $4 beers for hours watching hockey from basically right up against the glass in the corner.

I mean the rink is pretty old and run down (going down a narrow-rear end flight of stairs in full gear was a pain in the rear end) but the bar redeemed all other shortcomings.

That's the new rink (it's actually two but this is the ice hockey side), but they're still playing AIHL games at Perth Ice Arena because???

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

titanium posted:

Out of curiousity, did you catch their names? The community is bigger than you'd think but still small enough that there's a good chance anyone who's been playing for more than a couple years will know anyone who's travelling overseas for camps etc.

Surprised how big the Perth circuit is Spooky - we've got 2 more teams in full checking league (East Coast Super League) and our seniors comp is about same size except it goes down to Div 4 as well. That rink looks WAY better than Adelaide

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

aejix posted:

Out of curiousity, did you catch their names? The community is bigger than you'd think but still small enough that there's a good chance anyone who's been playing for more than a couple years will know anyone who's travelling overseas for camps etc.

Surprised how big the Perth circuit is Spooky - we've got 2 more teams in full checking league (East Coast Super League) and our seniors comp is about same size except it goes down to Div 4 as well. That rink looks WAY better than Adelaide

I believe one of them was Mark Stone, Phil was another guy (with the Koala mask) and I didn't catch the name of the third guy.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

aejix posted:

It's also full olympic width, whereas the venue they play AIHL at is not. As far as I can tell there might be slightly less seating/capacity than Perth Ice Arena but that's about it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vargatron posted:

I believe one of them was Mark Stone, Phil was another guy (with the Koala mask) and I didn't catch the name of the third guy.

Nate was the other dude. Good group of guys which was nice to see since my other experiences with Australians (Whistler/Japan) were nottttt positiveeee.

On a brighter note I didnt feel like poo poo in yesterdays pro skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2c6qAYLHT4

Managed to flash the leather on the first shot....which was a 2 on 0.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Just got home from a cross ice session (3 22-minute games)

I was way off in the first game, but i hadn't figured out any landmarks really. Game two was rough but I played better. Got some good post to post movement in and was able to steal a coupe good shots glove side. Game three was probably the best of the three games, but everyone was pretty gassed.

I was fighting with my glasses all three games. First game was the worst. They kept getting pushed down my nose.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Just got home from a cross ice session (3 22-minute games)

I was way off in the first game, but i hadn't figured out any landmarks really. Game two was rough but I played better. Got some good post to post movement in and was able to steal a coupe good shots glove side. Game three was probably the best of the three games, but everyone was pretty gassed.

I was fighting with my glasses all three games. First game was the worst. They kept getting pushed down my nose.

I feel like I've asked before but why arent you wearing contacts?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

You haven't, but I don't wear them because no matter what type of contact I try they dry my eyes out badly within a few minutes. Pretty much glasses or laser eye surgery at this point.

I'll just look into a strap setup to keep the specs in place for now.

Edit: I'm going to be up in Minneapolis in a couple weeks for SGDQ, considering bringing my equipment with. How far out of downtown am I looking at going to be able to get some ice/got a recommendation on ice? If anyone knows.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 17, 2017

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

YeehawMcKickass posted:

You haven't, but I don't wear them because no matter what type of contact I try they dry my eyes out badly within a few minutes. Pretty much glasses or laser eye surgery at this point.

I'll just look into a strap setup to keep the specs in place for now.

Edit: I'm going to be up in Minneapolis in a couple weeks for SGDQ, considering bringing my equipment with. How far out of downtown am I looking at going to be able to get some ice/got a recommendation on ice? If anyone knows.

Check these sites:

https://jmshockey.com/games

http://www.hockeyfinder.com/skate-times

There's a ton of hockey being played all over the city so if you sign up far enough in advance you should be able to get into one of those sessions depending on your skill level. If you're here on weekdays they might have some open hockey but for goalies that can be a crapshoot, you dont know if there's gonna be none or 6.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug

titanium posted:

Nate was the other dude. Good group of guys which was nice to see since my other experiences with Australians (Whistler/Japan) were nottttt positiveeee.

Yeah was a long shot but don't know any of those guys personally. Totally agree about the JAFAs too.

quote:

Nothing better than that shooter's reaction.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I remember the one time I forgot my contacts and didn't want to play with my glasses in.

Vague blurry shapes coming toward you keep you on your toes. I'm nearsighted so once they entered the zone I was fine but it was still funny.

LASIK was the best 3k I ever spent though. I'm not rich and it was still the best value for money with regards to quality of life.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
LASIK isn't an option for me sadly, since I have nystagmus.

Contacts for life for me. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aw sorry to rub it in then :(

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Eh, you weren't at all. Just wish it was an option. Contacts ain't horrible for me playing, too. Just been a pipedream of mine to get LASIK, for hockey and life in general.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

LumpyGumby posted:

Eh, you weren't at all. Just wish it was an option. Contacts ain't horrible for me playing, too. Just been a pipedream of mine to get LASIK, for hockey and life in general.

There's something coming soon(tm) that are basically bio lenses that are inserted to give you perfect vision, forever. Last I heard they're in clinical trials.

I also play without glasses or contacts because I can only use hard contact lenses because my eye is conically shaped.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

There's something coming soon(tm) that are basically bio lenses that are inserted to give you perfect vision, forever. Last I heard they're in clinical trials.

I also play without glasses or contacts because I can only use hard contact lenses because my eye is conically shaped.

Got any more info on this, I'm super interested.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Spookydonut posted:

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Got any more info on this, I'm super interested.
I do since I've got these magical things in my eyes and they're a goddamned god-send. They're called Staar Visian ICL and they are basically contacts that get inserted between your cornea and your pupil. Takes about 30 seconds per eye and you can see almost perfectly within an hour. There's no scarring, no shaving of your cornea so they can be taken out later in life for cataracts.

I went from 20/400 or so to 20/25 as soon as I got mine done. I couldn't do LASIK because my eyesight was too bad and my corneas would've wobbled if they shaved everything off they had to in order to correct my vision.

I've had this procedure done for about 5 years now and it's been so goddamned amazing. The only downside is that it's expensive, when I did it years ago it was about $3.5k an eye. I won an auction for LASIK so I turned that into the ICL surgery and it wasn't quite that expensive but I believe it's still expensive now and insurance doesn't really cover it since they consider it a cosmetic surgery.

That said if you have the money and hate contacts/glasses I can't recommend it enough. If you want to ask more about it feel free to PM me.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Are those the lenses where you can't play contact sport (or really anything that could get sweat in your eyes) for a few months or are you pretty much good to go from the start?

I looked into getting LASIK but apparently my corneas are so shallow/thin it'd be medically negligent to perform the procedure... welp :/

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3tehas2i8

If you want to hear me blab about what I think about the 1X Vapors vs my VH's I did a review this weekend.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Zip! posted:

Are those the lenses where you can't play contact sport (or really anything that could get sweat in your eyes) for a few months or are you pretty much good to go from the start?

I looked into getting LASIK but apparently my corneas are so shallow/thin it'd be medically negligent to perform the procedure... welp :/
Good to go from the start. Literally was able to drive home from getting the first lens put in, they do one eye a week so that they can make sure there's no adverse reaction.

It's literally in your eye in such a way that it won't ever move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Interesting. I am also a goalie with a prescription too strong for LASIK. I've been waiting for those in-eye lenses to hit the mainstream before I dig into it.

• Locked thread