Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

My dad just put 500 bucks down on Ether, hope it goes to the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

Lol, maybe back when cpu mining was a thing

You mean when goons were telling everyone it was a scam and to stay away?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

What are you talking about here?

You.

I mean, if you want to say "yeah you can make some money on a bubble provided you don't risk more than you're willing to lose," then that's one thing.

But you're still literally arguing like it's such an amazing idea and that anyone not getting in on it and poo-pooing it is an idiot. Like, it's not "free money" in any of the multiple ways you've defined it, and you keep also talking about it as if it's a sure thing.

We've said "no, it's not a sure thing in the least."

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

My dad just put 500 bucks down on Ether, hope it goes to the moon

I did the same thing about a year ago and it didn't move at all and then dropped by like 10 dollars by the end of the year. I paid relatively little and sold it after I figured that money would move more going into BTC.

Now I see it's up to 300 lol whoops.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

mojo1701a posted:

You.

I mean, if you want to say "yeah you can make some money on a bubble provided you don't risk more than you're willing to lose," then that's one thing.

But you're still literally arguing like it's such an amazing idea and that anyone not getting in on it and poo-pooing it is an idiot. Like, it's not "free money" in any of the multiple ways you've defined it, and you keep also talking about it as if it's a sure thing.

We've said "no, it's not a sure thing in the least."

Playing in the wild west of the unregulated crypto-market isn't for everyone. Some people are stupid and sometimes they don't have balls or even money.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah that's the gist of it, you can speculate in these coins if you want to

quote:

Telling people to buy penny stocks is loving bizarre advice, to me. Offering it as a more viable, sensible alternative to coins for your speculation money is bizarre, to me. I feel penny stocks are a poor choice, you spend your money on them if you prefer though.

[edit]And the FREE MONEY is me referring too when they were trivial to mine via CPU / GPU goons were helpfully warning their fellow goon not to do it, since it's a scam.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You mean when goons were telling everyone it was a scam and to stay away?

I stand by my laffs. Just because someone could have potentially dodged multiple minefields while hitting the lottery doesn't mean it was a sane plan at all.

Also, you're just talking about theoretical gains. If you got in at 3, you would have sold at 12. In at 100, sold at 50. In at 800, stolen by an exchange

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

I stand by my laffs. Just because someone could have potentially dodged multiple minefields while hitting the lottery doesn't mean it was a sane plan at all.

Also, you're just talking about theoretical gains. If you got in at 3, you would have sold at 12. In at 100, sold at 50. In at 800, stolen by an exchange

You mean the actual predictions goons made when nobody knew what would happen were proven demonstrably wrong over time and hosed over anyone that listened to them? All for the sake of dumb jokes that turned out to be... wrong?

:monocle:

Well I never

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Sentient Data posted:

In accounting it's what we call "Unrealized gain/loss." You declare it on long-term investments so you don't end up declaring a huge gain/loss when you finally dispose of an asset. That's the only reason you'd ever report it otherwise.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You mean the actual predictions goons made when nobody knew what would happen were proven demonstrably wrong over time and hosed over anyone that listened to them? All for the sake of dumb jokes that turned out to be... wrong?

:monocle:

Well I never

But a lot of goons weren't. There have been multiple bubbles burst with tons of people buying into them at the peak with the belief that the bubble would go indefinitely. Sure if you held from the beginning you haven't lost anything, but for every coin cashed out at the top of a bubble, there had to be one purchased. That's literally how it works.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

mojo1701a posted:

But a lot of goons weren't. There have been multiple bubbles burst with tons of people buying into them at the peak with the belief that the bubble would go indefinitely. Sure if you held from the beginning you haven't lost anything, but for every coin cashed out at the top of a bubble, there had to be one purchased. That's literally how it works.

Pointing out the churn on the way to the $3000 valuation is not being correct, it's being wrong. "Oh this exchange collapsed" sounds clever, except for the fact that aside from costing those people money, it's completely irrelevant. Don't worry Divabot will be here with a bunch of reddit stories and twitter links to make it seem catastrohpic!

Then the price of coins will continue to rise while goons remain convinced of their imminent collapse. Yaknow, the cycle that has been repeating for 5 years, and has been wrong and dumb the whole way.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Pointing out the churn on the way to the $3000 valuation is not being correct, it's being wrong. "Oh this exchange collapsed" sounds clever, except for the fact that aside from costing those people money, it's completely irrelevant. Don't worry Divabot will be here with a bunch of reddit stories and twitter links to make it seem catastrohpic!

Then the price of coins will continue to rise while goons remain convinced of their imminent collapse. Yaknow, the cycle that has been repeating for 5 years, and has been wrong and dumb the whole way.

So people losing their shirts because of their belief is just "churn". Gotcha.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

If only I'd joined bitcointalk forums instead of dumb old GBS

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

mojo1701a posted:

So people losing their shirts because of their belief is just "churn". Gotcha.

Cherry picking one redditor who admitted he lost some money in an exchange collapse because you trawl r/bitcoin and r/ethererum looking for exactly that and trying to behave like that's representative is not correct, no.

It's real cool how this stuff works. Bitcoins exist in an amazing state of superposition for goons. They're only real when you lose them. Any gains you make are unrealized, any losses on currency you mined are in fact real world losses.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Cherry picking one redditor who admitted he lost some money in an exchange collapse because you trawl r/bitcoin and r/ethererum looking for exactly that and trying to behave like that's representative is not correct, no.

It's real cool how this stuff works. Bitcoins exist in an amazing state of superposition for goons. They're only real when you lose them. Any gains you make are unrealized, any losses on currency you mined are in fact real world losses.

But again, for you to sell at $3,000, someone else has to buy at $3,000. That's how trading works. Same as on a stock exchange.

If you want a more concrete example of how bubbles work, you should really come by the Canadian Debt Bubble megathread in D&D. Canada's entire economy right now is predicated on the price of housing currently being way higher than it ought to be, and how so many people have screwed themselves borrowing against the current market value of their property.

And yes, gains/losses are only realized if you actually receive the money. That's how finance works. Do you really not understand this?

And if you think we're cherry-picking, r/bitcoin itself had the suicide hotline phone number pinned to the top. They did that. Not us.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

to avoid a wall of text I'll reply in portions

mojo1701a posted:

But again, for you to sell at $3,000, someone else has to buy at $3,000. That's how trading works. Same as on a stock exchange.

Ah yes the mythical bagholder, ignoring that these currencies are being created out of thin air. Who's going to be holding the bag?? Is it you?? :ohdear:

quote:

If you want a more concrete example of how bubbles work, you should really come by the Canadian Debt Bubble megathread in D&D. Canada's entire economy right now is predicated on the price of housing currently being way higher than it ought to be, and how so many people have screwed themselves borrowing against the current market value of their property.

Yes and one of the things that I point out is that while Bitcoin is loving shady as poo poo, real instruments are pretty shady too, and somehow you seem to respond that I'm a true believer when I make this observation. I hope agreeing with something you said does not somehow imply I'm a true believer.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

mojo1701a posted:

And yes, gains/losses are only realized if you actually receive the money. That's how finance works. Do you really not understand this?

The way it works for bitcoins is:
If you've made any money off bitcoins it's not real, you will get arrested for tax fraud and the electricity you used to mine it wasn't free
If you've lost any bitcoins due to hdd loss or exchanges that's your inheritance you'll never get back

quote:

And if you think we're cherry-picking, r/bitcoin itself had the suicide hotline phone number pinned to the top. They did that. Not us.

So like, something that happened for a few days because it's loving reddit years ago gets presented as a normal state of affairs here on something awful years later? That's exactly the bullshit I'm talking about dude. Do you believe this is a regular thing over there?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Bit of a rocky night for Ol Bessy last night, we were messing with dual mining which slowed things down but she's back up and at em. I was able to mine decred and eth with a ~2% hit to the eth hashrate, however the extra load crashed it after ~15 minutes from overheating. I'll try some gpu-bios mods out tonight and see if I can get these cards dual mining in a stable way. I had to switch to windows too, linux has a dearth of tools for managing gpu clocks and voltages.

https://www.ethermine.org/miners/765514Dd42CdD77b1F494f5dF184D6A361be3750

Go go go go!!!

(Every time I check on it it makes me smile. Mine Ethereum, it's like mining happiness! Actually don't, difficulty is high enough as it is.)

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I refuse to believe that any single human being can be this obtuse. You have got to be trolling.

Anyway, even if you are totally correct to wave away the massive difference between what BTC is worth on paper and what any given user is actually going to get back out, you're still committing a huge logical fallacy.

Say I have a friend who decides to dump all their money into a single penny stock. I tell them that this is a terrible idea. The next day, some Gordon Gecko type picks that particular stock to pump and dump. My friend makes a fortune, retires at 30, and comes to laugh in my face.

The thing is, MY INITIAL ADVICE WAS STILL GOOD ADVICE. His investment was still incredibly dumb, and wasn't less dumb just because he got lucky.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah yes the mythical bagholder, ignoring that these currencies are being created out of thin air. Who's going to be holding the bag?? Is it you?? :ohdear:

By that same logic, there were also no bagholders when the 2007 crash hit. Y'know, the one that Bitcoiners keep saying is proof that the banking system is fraudulent?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes and one of the things that I point out is that while Bitcoin is loving shady as poo poo, real instruments are pretty shady too, and somehow you seem to respond that I'm a true believer when I make this observation. I hope agreeing with something you said does not somehow imply I'm a true believer.

Some can be, sure, but the basis of our system is based upon democratic regulation. If my bank runs off with my money, I'm still insured by the CDIC (or the FDIC). I mean, there's still leaks and blah blah blah. Seriously, if my bank or investment house had the same systemic risks that Bitcoin does, we're all screwed.

No, really.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The way it works for bitcoins is:
If you've made any money off bitcoins it's not real, you will get arrested for tax fraud and the electricity you used to mine it wasn't free
If you've lost any bitcoins due to hdd loss or exchanges that's your inheritance you'll never get back

No, it's real only when you cash out. That's what we're arguing. If you can cash out, then sure, have fun. But it's way harder to cash out from an online exchange than any regulated loving bank or brokerage. If I want to sell my mutual funds, I can.

Also lol at the possibility of losing my life's savings because my bank suffered hardware failure. If that's even possible then we're way more screwed than just some people losing money.

And holy poo poo do you not realize that mining takes electricity that, y'know, costs money? Unless you're living in a dorm or siphoning electricity like a grow up. Actually, investing in marijuana is on the rise. I should get in on that.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So like, something that happened for a few days because it's loving reddit years ago gets presented as a normal state of affairs here on something awful years later? That's exactly the bullshit I'm talking about dude. Do you believe this is a regular thing over there?

Uh it's happened multiple times my dude. Like, no one opens up the NY times after a giant crash with ads for them.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

mojo1701a posted:

And holy poo poo do you not realize that mining takes electricity that, y'know, costs money? Unless you're living in a dorm or siphoning electricity like a grow up. Actually, investing in marijuana is on the rise. I should get in on that.

There's no cost if you steal it :grin:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ham Sandwiches posted:

People losing money on Bitcoin is not irrelevant when pointing out how easy it is to lose money on Bitcoin numbnuts

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I honestly think a bunch of posters in SA kept the FUD about bitcoin to make more profits themselves.

Like I get if you kept your mouth shut during these times and didn't share how you were making money, but I suspect a bunch of goons of actively scaring others away

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Who gives a poo poo if these berries are poisonous?! Look all around you, there are tons of humans still alive. Even a couple of the thousands that ate from this plant survived, so that means I'll thrive!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

And sure it was full of risks but us Goons were uniquely well positioned to profit from this poo poo in case it worked. We had the gaming hardware, the nerdy disposition, the time (thanks to a lack of social life)

We should've been #1 in trying this poo poo out, and we certainly could've laughed about the poo poo while we profited and risked literally nothing, but nooooo let's give money to the Hot dog man, let's organize complex spreadsheets for Eve online or whatever you assholes do

For what it's worth I've got 100 extra dollars in cold hard cash in my bank account from this last week, by leaving my gaming puter on when not playing. I haven't noticed TOO MUCH brain damage and my berries are dry af come at me

xlanciferionx
Apr 18, 2004
recovering suicide victim

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And I'm just wondering, now that 4 years later Bitcoin is $3000... who gives a poo poo whether that guy bought bitcoins himself or not, he called it correctly. Why was whether the guy who made the claim that it woudl go to $3000 also personally investing every spare dollar into Bitcoin... why would that change whether or not Bitcoin would reach $3000?

Whether or not that guy bought $0, $5, or $50,000 of bitcoin, it hit $3000 like he said it would 4 years ago. So why did it matter if that guy had all his money in bitcoins when he made that prediction?

Typically, people that actually believe something like this will actually do the smart thing, and make their money. When they aren't following their own advice, it's a sign that they were just spitballing random numbers, with little to no faith in it actually happening. It's more than likely this is a case of the latter. And, given your reluctance to actually come up with a number, it's likely you were in the same boat as everyone you're now claiming to be wrong. The only difference is that you want to act superior about others being wrong after the fact. You came here. You stated you're making money. Others are asking for the barest shred of evidence, which you could easily lie about, and nobody would care or notice. But, you choose to feign outrage over people wanting proof of what you said.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you've made any money off bitcoins it's not real, you will get arrested for tax fraud

its called report your earnings and write the IRS a check for their cut dipshit.

holy gently caress how do you even function in society?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
"All you self employed people are IDIOTS!! You're gonna get arrested for tax evasion and it was all for NOTHING! You should have just gotten a job at GOOGLE with your self lacing bootstraps."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SpaceClown posted:

its called report your earnings and write the IRS a check for their cut dipshit.

holy gently caress how do you even function in society?

Didn't the IRS write some actual rules for declaring capital gains on cryptocurrency? Like, cost base being the FMV of a coin on the day it was mined?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

They did.
https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs-virtual-currency-guidance

IRS Virtual Currency Guidance : Virtual Currency Is Treated as Property for U.S. Federal Tax Purposes; General Rules for Property Transactions Apply

quote:

The notice provides that virtual currency is treated as property for U.S. federal tax purposes. General tax principles that apply to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency. Among other things, this means that:

Wages paid to employees using virtual currency are taxable to the employee, must be reported by an employer on a Form W-2, and are subject to federal income tax withholding and payroll taxes.

Payments using virtual currency made to independent contractors and other service providers are taxable and self-employment tax rules generally apply. Normally, payers must issue Form 1099.

The character of gain or loss from the sale or exchange of virtual currency depends on whether the virtual currency is a capital asset in the hands of the taxpayer.

A payment made using virtual currency is subject to information reporting to the same extent as any other payment made in property.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do have to say though, I want the loving day traders to get the gently caress out of bitcoins. You're loving with my drug money.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

EorayMel posted:

They did.
https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs-virtual-currency-guidance

IRS Virtual Currency Guidance : Virtual Currency Is Treated as Property for U.S. Federal Tax Purposes; General Rules for Property Transactions Apply

How do they require you to determine cost base on a mined coin, is it by exchange estimate? I mean, it's pretty obvious that they can't require most people to estimate given their power bill and GPU usage.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

mojo1701a posted:

How do they require you to determine cost base on a mined coin, is it by exchange estimate? I mean, it's pretty obvious that they can't require most people to estimate given their power bill and GPU usage.

I have no idea.

I'm gonna go with whatever gain/loss you made from acquiring a bitcoin and giving away in a transaction, like long/short term capital gain stuff like with stocks and cars.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
decentralized distributed cryptocurrency!!!!

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2017/06/14/2190149/blockchains-governance-paradox/

quote:

Blockchain’s governance paradox

Distributed ledger technologies “are starting to look an awful lot like some of the more conventional technical solutions that we have,” says Prof. Vili Lehdonvirta, an associate professor and senior research fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute, at a recent talk he gave at the Alan Turing Institute.

At the heart of the issue (as always) is who dictates and enforces the rules of the system if and when things go wrong, according to Lehdonvirta. He echoes a point we’ve long made, namely, that what really matters in these systems is how they deal with exceptions rather than norms.

The industry’s continuous shifting of nomenclature hints at the inherent challenges and revisionism at hand. As blockchains become DLTs, shared databases and permissioned consensus networks, what the techies working on these systems fail to publicly highlight is that much of the time, “advance” means returning to tried and tested paradigms, or reintroducing trusted or governance-focused nodes.

Albeit, the “back to square one” solution isn’t unique to blockchain. We see the same pattern playing out across the network/platform industry. For example, Airbnb was built on the notion that peers could organise accommodation for each other bilaterally without any dependence on a centralised manager. As time went on, however, trust issues across the platform — everything from fraud, misrepresentation, bad consumer experience, abuse, vandalism or damage — forced the once proudly employee-light company to load up on staff who could troubleshoot many of these problems. In so doing, Airbnb — much like Ebay before it — transformed itself from a tech company into an adjudicator, value custodian and rules-and-standards authority.

And by and large, that’s not been an unwelcome transformation, from the consumer’s perspective. Indeed, what libertarian tech anarchists often fail to understand is that the public is not opposed to the idea of putting their trust in institutions, especially when they’re operated by real people who can be held accountable for things going wrong.

What they seemingly understand and technologists don’t is this: Trusting other parties to protect, enforce and adjudicate the rules of operation enhances division of labour and thus efficiency. I no longer have to waste hours of time trying to figure out if the counterparty I’ve dealt with on Ebay is trustworthy or not. Ebay governs the platform in such a way that I can be confident failed trades will always be compensated, and that Ebay’s own judgement about compensation entitlement will always be fair. After all, its continuing reputation as an efficient exchange platform depends on it.

But back to blockchian.

As Lehdonvirta observes, the vision of blockchain is of a system which can enforce contracts, prevent double spending, and cap the money supply pool without ceding power to anyone:

No rent-seeking, no abuses of power, no politics — blockchain technologies can be used to create “math-based money” and “unstoppable” contracts that are enforced with the impartiality of a machine instead of the imperfect and capricious human bureaucracy of a state or a bank. This is why so many people are so excited about blockchain: its supposed ability change economic organization in a way that transforms dominant relationships of power.
The problem which blockchain claims to have solved, in other words, is a rule-enforcement one, not a technological one.

And yet, here’s the rub. From Lehdonvirta:

Unfortunately this turns out to be a naive understanding of blockchain, and the reality is inevitably less exciting. Let me explain why. In economic organization, we must distinguish between enforcing rules and making rules. Laws are rules enforced by state bureaucracy and made by a legislature. The SWIFT Protocol is a set of rules enforced by SWIFTNet (a centralized computational system) and made, ultimately, by SWIFT’s Board of Directors. The Bitcoin Protocol is a set of rules enforced by the Bitcoin Network (a distributed network of computers) made by — whom exactly? Who makes the rules matters at least as much as who enforces them. Blockchain technology may provide for completely impartial rule-enforcement, but that is of little comfort if the rules themselves are changed. This rule-making is what we refer to as governance.
Unfortunately for blockchain fanatics, there is no formal process for how governance works in bitcoin. Lehdonvirta says this is because for a long time the underlying politics were overlooked.

…many people don’t recognize them, preferring instead the idea that Bitcoin is purely “math-based money” and that all the developers are doing is purely apolitical plumbing work. But what has started to make this position untenable and Bitcoin’s politics visible is the so-called “block size debate” — a big disagreement between factions of the Bitcoin community over the future direction of the rules.
Whatever model of the blockchain is employed, the fundamental problem of governance remains, says Lehdonvirta. What’s more, if it was somehow resolved… you’d no longer need a blockchain.

After all, as Lehdonvirta also observes, in performance terms, existing blockchain technologies are in many ways inferior to more conventional technologies.

In other blockchain news, Morgan Stanley has publicly acknowledged that while there are many blockchain proofs of concepts in process globally, there remains no killer app on the market as yet. The bank, however, fails to formerly address the scale of governance paradox even though it does state this:

As we have written previously, a killer app is likely to emerge in concentrated markets: a market with concentrated leaders could more easily set up standards and governance protocols and have less issues aligning incentives and sharing costs.
The future may be micro blockchains! Or better still, corporate specific blockchains! (Aka corporate databases which only certain people or divisions can amend unilaterally, and which whole teams need to sign off on before things can be permanently deleted or revised.)

tldr: lmao

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Who gives a poo poo if these berries are poisonous?! Look all around you, there are tons of humans still alive. Even a couple of the thousands that ate from this plant survived, so that means I'll thrive!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/4av916/datura_is_my_favourite_drug/

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I honestly think a bunch of posters in SA kept the FUD about bitcoin to make more profits themselves.

Like I get if you kept your mouth shut during these times and didn't share how you were making money, but I suspect a bunch of goons of actively scaring others away

The dogecoiners were right all along.. to the moon!!!!!!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Ha, doge's growth is funny to see since I remember a post on a different forum offering to sell blocks of a million for $13 back when it was new. Apparently that's worth about 3k now if you could actually get the money out. Long live this generation's meme-techno-beanie-babies, and more power to you if you actually made a profit on them but lol at the thought of treating it as an actual investment

Any butt stuff going on? Recent/upcoming halvings, infighting about protocol stuff, size and growth of the chain files, etc

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There bank of Canada was researching blockchain and then declared it was retarded

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Telling people to buy penny stocks is loving bizarre advice, to me. Offering it as a more viable, sensible alternative to coins for your speculation money is bizarre, to me. I feel penny stocks are a poor choice, you spend your money on them if you prefer though.

It is the same as what you're saying about bitcoin.

It is the same as saying "you should try taking your fun money and bet it all at the slot machines! For just a few bucks you can win MILLIONS!"

• Locked thread