Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My in-laws are moving and my FIL needs somewhere to store a bunch of the larger pieces of his garage equipment until he's settled. Some are too large for the garage in their new house, and he doesn't want an acetylene tank in an attached garage so this (along with a bunch of other temporary stuff) showed up today:

Still need to bolt it to the floor and rewire the 220v receptacle in my garage to something from this century. Also going to start teaching myself to weld, he left his Miller 120v MIG welder with me for at least the next month.

e: drat, just looked up the specs - 17.7 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I used to be a rep for Quincy compressors. Great designs, great pick up.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Larrymer posted:

Looking into tool boxes. I have the cheap harbor freight box below that's actually older and has a few more drawers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/27-in-8-drawer-black-roller-cabinet-2-pc-combo-63026.html

Then some hodgepodge mix of boxes (lower, mid, and top) that don't match size or color that my dad found at yard sales or I got as gifts that look lovely. I hate how it all looks though I don't mind the HF box (non BB slides, it's still fine) except the textured finish. Cool stickers do not stick to textured finishes. :rice: I'm looking for something that I can fit all my tools into in one box instead of two smaller ones since tools are overflowing out of my 2 boxes.

So I'm thinking about picking up this husky box from HD, or something like this CL box. Thoughts? The husky is about as much as I'd even consider spending.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-18-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Set-Black-HTC5206-HMT5212/205431577

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/6168990569.html

It's for home use, I'm not a pro and just need something decent and not $nap on quality/price.

I picked up the Husky 52 recently and it's a lot of storage for what you're paying. The drawers aren't the deepest and the full length middle drawer isn't quite tall enough for my socket holders but other than that it's great. HD has a couple of tool benches and a new 36" chest that are worth checking out.

Otherwise the US General chests from Harbor Freight are your best bet, the 44" is the best bang for your buck and you can find coupons for all of them on HFQDB.

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

can't stop won't stop posting sick screwdriver deals because that's apparently how i spend my friday nights

Craftsman 5 piece screwdriver sets, 2.99 after add to cart. Made in USA

slotted
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35551926

philips
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10973960

just got ten screwdrivers i don't need for 6 bucks, sweet

Thanks!

I really didn't need anymore screwdrivers but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Holy crap the magic of a decent blowtorch. :allears: I had some lovely, terrible bottom-barrel torches in the past that could barely warm up copper piping for soldering. I tried using them before to heat up stuck bolts and it never helped, so I thought heating bolts was something in the realm of oxy-acetylene kits.

The TS8000 proved me wrong. The TS8000 is the light.

The torch had no problem heating up the socket-head bolts holding the caliper bracket on an 88k mile, 17-year old Saturn that I am convinced was on its original rotors. Where impact wrenches and the Holy PB Blaster had failed, the torch prevailed. It was a holy experience.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Try using oxy acetylene the first time...

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

sharkytm posted:

Try using oxy acetylene the first time...

The first time I did this I wondered why regular torches even existed anymore. THE FEELING OF POWER!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

0toShifty posted:

The first time I did this I wondered why regular torches even existed anymore. THE FEELING OF POWER!

They exist for people who have have read too much about acetylene and are too chicken poo poo to have it in their homes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ripoff posted:

Holy crap the magic of a decent blowtorch. :allears: I had some lovely, terrible bottom-barrel torches in the past that could barely warm up copper piping for soldering. I tried using them before to heat up stuck bolts and it never helped, so I thought heating bolts was something in the realm of oxy-acetylene kits.

The TS8000 proved me wrong. The TS8000 is the light.

The torch had no problem heating up the socket-head bolts holding the caliper bracket on an 88k mile, 17-year old Saturn that I am convinced was on its original rotors. Where impact wrenches and the Holy PB Blaster had failed, the torch prevailed. It was a holy experience.

What kind of fuel did you use? I have a lovely propane torch like that doesn't do anything and always wanted a big torch like you're saying. Didn't know there was something in between.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Larrymer posted:

What kind of fuel did you use? I have a lovely propane torch like that doesn't do anything and always wanted a big torch like you're saying. Didn't know there was something in between.

Sounds like he went from propane to MAPP (Pro). I need to pick up a yellow bottle myself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mapp pro for lighting my charcoal bbq in a hurry

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Dang, I finally bit on that Wera driver sale because I wanted to see what the etched tips were all about.

When I was checking out, I figured I'd go all out for the heavier-duty yellow ones.

They just showed up. Nice tools, but no etched tips. I should've read the fine print.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 12, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BraveUlysses posted:

mapp pro for lighting my charcoal bbq in a hurry

Heh, it's funny that is what I mainly use my MAPP torch for after I got done with a shitload of plumbing and occasionally freeing a stuck bolt. Fill chimney with charcoal, hit it with the torch for 20-30 seconds and off it goes.

Would like to have a small oxy-acetylne setup.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The mapp pro/ oxy kits are drat good for a little hobby kit.

Oxy propane is also really good too, and means you can use a BBQ bottle rather than having to lease an acetylene bottle as well. Doesn't get QUITE as hot as oxy acetylene but unless your cutting big bits of THICK steel your not going to notice.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
If you are only going to be using it here and there, the little port-a-torch rigs are pretty good. The price to exchange the little bottles is too close to the price of a larger set of bottles to make it worthwhile if you will be using it a lot, though. I barely ever use my port-a-torch but it is super handy when I do need it. Had I bought it new it wouldn't have been worth it, but I got it for $50 at a garage sale so..

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on baby's first tools for working on a car? Or sites to keep a look at for deals. Would be looking to work on a Volkswagen, so metric system.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A basic set of metric sockets and wrenches, screwdriver set with regular bits, torx and etorx and a good tripple square set should have you prepped for most things. Oh, and a good hammer. Because a good hammer is a beautiful thing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on baby's first tools for working on a car? Or sites to keep a look at for deals. Would be looking to work on a Volkswagen, so metric system.

In order of importance

Metric socket set, 1/2" and 1/4", maybe 3/8". Including unbrako.
A hammer
Something to provide leverage, like a breaker bar.
Metric wrench set.
Selection of pliers
Screw drivers
Deep sockets
Any specialty stuff needed, could be E-TX, XZN etc.

These days you can get decent tools for not much money, especially in the sockets/ratchets category. For pliers I find that the cheap and mid tier stuff doesn't cut it. Bahco or Knipex for me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Which country are you in, so people can recommend deals on kits?

For a VW, yes, a set of XZN bits will almost certainly be necessary at some point, and normal tool sets almost never have them, so :10bux: on a few of those is a good idea.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ferremit posted:

The mapp pro/ oxy kits are drat good for a little hobby kit.

Oxy propane is also really good too, and means you can use a BBQ bottle rather than having to lease an acetylene bottle as well. Doesn't get QUITE as hot as oxy acetylene but unless your cutting big bits of THICK steel your not going to notice.

Yeah, I have the mini mapp/oxy kit I just remembered. I just need to find where I put it
The disposable oxy bottles are expensive at $50ea though and don;t last long. But I got sick of paying rental to BOC every month and half the times I needed oxy acet it was on a roof top, so I got the mini oxy/mapp kit

oxy propane was all the plumbers seemed to use, every time you see a plumbers ute it's oxy propane in the back.
It's mainly fridgies that stuck with oxy acet. Some use mapp but those guys make a huge mess and just incinerate and burn everything nearby and looks like poo poo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Etrips posted:

Some of the crescent tool kits are OK, even though they are metric and imperial. Some come with 1/4", 3/8 and 1/2" ratchets and sockets (inc some deep sockets), basic spanners, pliers, driver bits.
I've got my set as a spare, as I have a full sidcrome socket and spanner set from work. But sometimes I need something from that crescent kit, like the 3/8" or a deep socket and it seemed decent quality. E: most sockets are standard multipoint, and some are hex only which helps when you've got a rounding nut/bolt - I think only the deep ones are

I reckon get the crescent set, a breaker bar, socket extensions, various hammers -hard, fibre/copper and a mallet, ratchet spanners, lineman pliers with good crimpers and you'd have most things you need.
E: I think mine is a 170-ish piece version of this one http://www.crescenttool.com/mechani...s-tool-set.html
(Not the same as their current 170-ish piece one on their site as mine doesn't have multigrips or a shifting spanner.)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 13, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure everyone is aware of the massive tool sale occuring on Amazon. I need new sockets and both offerings from Gearwrench and Tekton look enticing. Which brand would you go for if you had to pick one? Specifically I am looking for non deep well sockets in 1/4 and 3/8 drive, inch and metric.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

InitialDave posted:

Which country are you in, so people can recommend deals on kits?

For a VW, yes, a set of XZN bits will almost certainly be necessary at some point, and normal tool sets almost never have them, so :10bux: on a few of those is a good idea.

Sorry, I am located in the states. Dang, that is a lot of tools that don't even know what they are.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Etrips posted:

Sorry, I am located in the states. Dang, that is a lot of tools that don't even know what they are.

Honestly, I get by doing basic stuff on my VW with a 3/8" metric socket set, screwdrivers, torx bits, and the occasional hex. I finally got a triple square set for doing brakes.

Just be aware that there are some weird fasteners and do some research so you know if you need a special bit beforehand. It's okay to pick them up as you need them.

Edit: throw in a breaker bar for taking off stubborn bolts and a hammer for when things go wrong and you wanna make them worse.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
1/4 in sockets are really low priority compared to 1/2 and 3/8ths

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Etrips posted:

As the poster above you mentioned, there's a big sale on tools on Amazon right now

I recently recommended this starter set to a friend, but frankly there are tons of options around the $75-100 price point that will probably serve you just fine to start out. FWIW I find I use 3/8" drive sockets about 90% of the time, sometimes use 1/2" for breaking off big stuff and rarely use 1/4" but hey when you need them you need them. I'd also recommend a set of ratcheting wrenches, they're incredibly handy. Garagejournal.com has a really good deals section on their forum.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

bolind posted:

These days you can get decent tools for not much money, especially in the sockets/ratchets category. For pliers I find that the cheap and mid tier stuff doesn't cut it. Bahco or Knipex for me.

Channelocks are pretty decent.

um excuse me posted:

I'm sure everyone is aware of the massive tool sale occuring on Amazon. I need new sockets and both offerings from Gearwrench and Tekton look enticing. Which brand would you go for if you had to pick one? Specifically I am looking for non deep well sockets in 1/4 and 3/8 drive, inch and metric.

Both made in Taiwan? Probably flip a coin or go with price or go with warranty hassle depending on level of importance to you. I have a set of gearwrench ratcheting wrenches and a set of Tekton e-torx and a Tekton security bit kit. Both are nice and were had for a darn good price.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you have a Costco nearby they might still have in store a nice Kirkland signature brand (it's rebranded Craftsman from what I understand, or made at the same factory at least) tool set for $69 (normally $99 but on clearance/sale). I picked one up a few months ago and like it a lot. If you're just getting started I'd go for something like that so you aren't constantly running to the store for a specific hex bit, extension, socket, etc.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

If you have a Costco nearby they might still have in store a nice Kirkland signature brand (it's rebranded Craftsman from what I understand, or made at the same factory at least) tool set for $69 (normally $99 but on clearance/sale). I picked one up a few months ago and like it a lot. If you're just getting started I'd go for something like that so you aren't constantly running to the store for a specific hex bit, extension, socket, etc.

Yeah, it's a really solid set. I'm using it as my mobile tool box and I'm really impressed by the value/quality, but not surprised because I love Costco and Costco loves me.
And I also am ridiculously happy with the Milwaukee Fuel impact gun I picked up in the eBay Memorial Day sale. I used it to take a wheel off last night and felt like a god. If I had a better jack I would be begging my friends to let me rotate their tires.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

There's no way it's rebranded Craftsman, because no Craftsman ratchet I've ever seen feels that nice.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Are there generally pretty good sales for Father's day or Black Friday for tools? I wouldn't mind waiting to pick anything up for the time being since my car only has 1,000 miles on it so far.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my go-to for deals is checking here, the tools thread in DIY and this forum:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked this guy up a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $20.
https://m.harborfreight.com/6-amp-heavy-duty-variable-speed-rotating-handle-reciprocating-saw-61884.html
I had to change out the muffler on my g/f's jeep and had to cut through the bolts holding the old holy muffler to the catalytic converter and then the tail pipe section to splice in the new muffler. Being able to rotate the handle was a big help in getting it to cut in a good position under the jeep.
I've used my dads og Milwaukee Sawz-all a bunch and this isn't as quiet or smooth as that was, but for $20 it was well worth the money paid for it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks to you jerks posting Amazon deals I ordered $55 $45 worth of Irwin pliers/snippers/wire strippers I didn't exactly need but they're gonna look tits in my new toolbox. Plus I can give back all the ones I stole from my dad to him for father's day :v:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've never regretted spending some money on good wire strippers. It will save you so much trouble in the long run.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Pro-tip for anyone looking at some Milwaukee cordless stuff, I've been looking for a sale on the M12 Hex driver tool and Home Depot just put up their fathers day sales about a week ago. $99 for a Two tool bundle online only*(M12 Drill, M12 Hex Driver, two standard M12 Batteries, one XC6.0 extended battery, charger, carrying bag). Thing is the bundle with the extra XC6.0 battery quickly went out of stock online but some smart fellows on the coupon websites decided to just go into the store and try buying the bundle with the extra battery, sure enough it works perfectly. When you ring it up at the register you get the two tool bundle for $99, then the extra battery for $89.99 then it immediately deducts the $89.99 from the total so total it ended up being $104.95 for me. I'm planning on trying to pawn off the extra charger(since I already have one), M12 Drill(since I already have an M18 drill) and maybe one of the batteries on craigslist or something for like $50-60 bucks and hopefully end up with the M12 hex driver I wanted, one standard battery, one extended battery and the carrying bag for $40-50.

*Turns out it's not online only. It will not be advertised in the store, but it works. Just grab the bundle and the battery, go to checkout!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

I've never regretted spending some money on good wire strippers. It will save you so much trouble in the long run.

I'm some sort of horrible squirrel man and strip wires with my teeth. Note I don't strip wires very often, though.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 14, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

um excuse me posted:

I'm some sort of horrible squirrel man and strip wires with my teeth. Note I don't strip wires very often, though.

I'd like to see you do coax.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I hate 'security' screws

Juice stopped working and manufacturer told me to go gently caress myself, so I thought I'd do it myself. Probably just a simple dry solder joint. Motherfucking triwing screws.

Time to bust out the Big Box of Stupid Bits. Except the screws are so deeply recessed in narrow holes, that I can't reach then with the usual driver+extension.

It;s only £3 for long bits...but that means I have to wait until saturday for ebay and I am thirsty now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Proprietary screws are such a loving stupid useless arms race. Especially security torx and their ugly cousins. Yay let's make a hole in the bit so it breaks that much easier.