Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Up Circle posted:

Spy cards like that are never worth it third round, are they? unless you have a scorch to take care of the problem?

If it's a long third round, it can be worth it if you play it early into weather. It also enables Igni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uhh guys Reveal Nilfgaard is kinda good.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Up Circle posted:

Spy cards like that are never worth it third round, are they? unless you have a scorch to take care of the problem?

Twisted Mirror or Igni make it sort-of-playable round 3 if you know there's no other way to enable them.
Generally though, never play spies round 3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pretty much every time I have a spy in hand round 3 I end up playing it. I'm usually behind if I end up in that situation anyways, the only reason not to play it is if you'll win without it. This sounds obvious but the question of whether or not to play a spy round 3 is kind of flawed that way.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 14, 2017

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I wish I didnt start playing this game literally three days ago so I could use meteorite powder to get insane scraps

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I wish I didnt start playing this game literally three days ago so I could use meteorite powder to get insane scraps

If they do a couple more patches of this scope in beta and you play a decent amount it shouldn't be hard to catch up dramatically, this system is really broken in favor of players

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways I made a budget dagon weather deck based on a guide and this is obscene. this deck is bullshit.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I craft Tibor on the day of the patch.
Do the evolution baby.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

No Mods No Masters posted:

If they do a couple more patches of this scope in beta and you play a decent amount it shouldn't be hard to catch up dramatically, this system is really broken in favor of players

Yeah, it's very easy to get a strong deck up and running, the grind is mostly about having more options. :v:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Got tired of all the weather crap so figured I'd jump in with both feet and be part of the problem. Been having some luck bullying round 1 and even pressuring round 2 with this deck, though it loses to last round last turn power plays like Tibor, Queensguard, and Crones. If you can grab CA and force those to drop on round 2 it's not bad. The deck isn't optimal and mills itself occasionally, but I'm not sure what to switch for what as I don't really play new NR. Temerians are just for thinning and something to play if you lose the coinflip, so they could be switched for something, and Geralt could probably be Bloody Baron. I don't have NR's witch either so that could go in there in place of maybe Reinforcements or Decoy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Huh, ended an entire match in a draw for the first time. I'll take two wins I guess, and it gives +1 ranking for some reason.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
There's a loving Kambi deck around that's almost unbeatable unless you're running lock and have it in the hand in the third round.

I wish I was trolling, I just lost to it twice with a 3 card advantage.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I made Vanhemar today, and wow! With decoy and Emhyr/Cahir he covered two rows in frost and then launched a stammelford's tremors. I suppose there are quicker ways to clear a field, but the guy is so drat flexible, and frees up deck space since you don't even need to carry a clear skies or frost card for him to use.

I feel kind of bad for Skellige. Those nilfgaard medics that let you raid their graveyard just wrecks their whole strategy from the get go.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I got enough scraps to craft myself a set of crones for my Monster deck, feels good man.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Also just ran into someone who was level 39 and somehow still in the 1300 bracket.

How much loving Gwent do you have to play to be level 39 already.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Kawabata posted:

There's a loving Kambi deck around that's almost unbeatable unless you're running lock and have it in the hand in the third round.

sometimes the best answer is just passing

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Savage Bear is easily silver strength at 6. There's no way to deal with it if you play a consume deck. You just get hosed hard and fast.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hell yeah, got Rag Nar Roog as my level 20 reward. I guess I should mill it within the next five days regardless, but is it still good enough to run post-nerf? Unfortunately I don't have enough powder to transmute it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lester Shy posted:

Hell yeah, got Rag Nar Roog as my level 20 reward. I guess I should mill it within the next five days regardless, but is it still good enough to run post-nerf? Unfortunately I don't have enough powder to transmute it.

It's not bad at earlier levels and is a pretty decent card to run that synergizes with a lot of decks, but it did get a pretty major nerf. I'd probably mill it, there are usually other, better legendaries you can and should slot in instead.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kawabata posted:

What's the list? I pulled Kambi and I have 6.5k scraps, I think i'm gonna use them to craft most of Skellige, as I already have most of Monsters crafted.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

What's the list? I pulled Kambi and I have 6.5k scraps, I think i'm gonna use them to craft most of Skellige, as I already have most of Monsters crafted.

It's most likely Panda's list.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/21424-pandas-kambi

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Up Circle posted:

sometimes the best answer is just passing

Sure, passing in the third round while Kambi and Hjalmar are on the board seems super solid, Lifecoach.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Sure, passing in the third round while Kambi and Hjalmar are on the board seems super solid, Lifecoach.

I think the idea was that if the SK player is behind and drops Kambi last, try to shoot ahead in the next card or two then pass before Kambi blows up the board. I don't know how useful that advice would be without knowing the board state, considering it's pretty obvious to think "hey I'm ahead and this bird is about to blow up my board, maybe I should pass instead of dumping hand".

What are you supposed to Operator in this deck? Longships? Captains?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Probably the Captain or the An Craite Warrior, the captain being buffed because you are basically the only player discarding a lot or the warrior for the same reason.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think one of the devs' design goals in OB is to ensure there will always be good answers to consume. So I don't expect it to be tier 1 any time soon because tier 1 decks are generally fundamentally unbalanced.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

It's so satisfying to edge out a win against a perfect Calveit template deck with my grab bag Emhyr and starter golds Nilfgaard deck.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nilfgaard is somehow even more fun and explosive than it was before closed beta ended.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I think the idea was that if the SK player is behind and drops Kambi last, try to shoot ahead in the next card or two then pass before Kambi blows up the board. I don't know how useful that advice would be without knowing the board state, considering it's pretty obvious to think "hey I'm ahead and this bird is about to blow up my board, maybe I should pass instead of dumping hand".

What are you supposed to Operator in this deck? Longships? Captains?

Who's bird is it anyways: where everything's made up and your cards don't matter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The reason Kambi decks don't work as cheese very well is that you're probably trying to take round 1 and force priestesses out of their hand r2 against any skellige deck anyways. If they take r1 and draw into Kambi/Hjalmar, yeah, you'll probably lose from that point unless you have a shackles or d bomb.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The other reason is that people tend to keep their golds for rounds 2 and 3 and gold cards are immune to Kambi. Some of the most played gold cards, such as Caretaker, Ciri:Dash, Villentretenmerth, Tibor, etc, are all played late in the match. If you try and Kambi round 1, they are likely to just pass and concede round 1. So Kambi is basically one of those things you have to force on them, but they are likely to have their counters for Kambi readily available just due to the nature of the game.

Kambi is one of my favorite cards, but it's just not very good in this meta and perhaps in this type of game. Would love to see them change the effect somehow, which they might in the next round of gold reworks they have talked about.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I mean if they kambi r1 make them drop their hjalmar too. I assume kambi decks can also run renew.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

I mean if they kambi r1 make them drop their hjalmar too. I assume kambi decks can also run renew.

They need to win round 1 all the time. Their deck is also built in such a way that they usually will. Oh and if they don't and you're 3 cards down you're still in trouble btw.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't know how you'd expect a deck that doesn't have a shot at beating skellige r1 without going down 3 cards to survive in this or any meta.

If it just didn't work out yeah losses happen.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

No Wave posted:

I don't know how you'd expect a deck that doesn't have a shot at beating skellige r1 without going down 3 cards to survive in this or any meta.

If it just didn't work out yeah losses happen.

It's not hard when they can Stammelford tremors with 1 or more SK damage buff dude on the ground, after the Bears (a 10 point average value bronze) hosed up your harpies/foglets every time.

I'm not saying it's overpowered or anything, sure you can tech against Kambi, but it's not a meme deck at all.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kawabata posted:

It's not hard when they can Stammelford tremors with 1 or more SK damage buff dude on the ground, after the Bears (a 10 point average value bronze) hosed up your harpies/foglets every time.

I'm not saying it's overpowered or anything, sure you can tech against Kambi, but it's not a meme deck at all.
It may well be overpowered but if so it's got little to do with the bird imo. Skellige's round 1 is very difficult to balance given how strong they are in later rounds.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Ever seen 3 foglets and 3 crones in your starting hand?
I feel sick.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Nilfgaard is somehow even more fun and explosive than it was before closed beta ended.

I get why people find Calveit the numerically stronger leader, to dump out as much of their deck as possible.

Emhyr (and Cahir copying) is just so much more fun though for loving with your opponent. Being able to replay your resurrection medics, cow launchers, or silver cards lets you take matches in so many weird directions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Gorp posted:

I feel sick.

Lol.

Some people curse the RNG and say it's bad design, but imo it isn't. It's actually a drawback to trying to 'game the system' and be super efficient.
People are literally putting the risk and the rng in their decks by themselves. They could instead put a less efficient but more secure card.

---

Pure reveal deck is fun. Three wins out of three today, even lacking Tibor and other legendary NG cards, although I got not very good rivals today.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Gorp posted:

I feel sick.

this is what you deserve you piece of poo poo. you motherfucker. you human stain. I know what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Normal Adult Human posted:

this is what you deserve you piece of poo poo. you motherfucker. you human stain. I know what you're doing.

lol I have foglets and frosts and crones and I'm still climbing bro, git gud

I get so many rage forfeits too