Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Best Buy has the G Pro going for $45 currently, which means I ordered one and have too many mice.

G303 which I use mainly, G402 that sits in the laptop bag, G400s which in spite of being the oldest of the bunch has the least use, thanks to it being some NOS that I got at a Walmart of all places for $20, a Corsair M65 that I haven't used in ages, and now the G Pro on its way. e: and a pair of cheap Logitech wireless ones with unifying receivers for wireless couch/bed use

Tempted to snag a G602 for a wireless option at work for $40.

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone still produce hard mouse surfaces like the original Icemat and SteelPad? I'm currently using an original Icemat rather than a flexible, thin pad, since my pets have a tendency to chew on soft mouse surfaces.
I'm mostly asking so I can have a replacement in case my Icemat ever breaks. I don't want to mouse directly on the table since it's not smooth enough and more difficult to clean well.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Hard mousepads are still their own category. Look them up on any online vendor

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So is it just me or is the G900 always on sale like every other week for 50% off somewhere, where as I haven't been able to find any kind of deal on the G502 for several weeks since I've been looking for one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've got this mouse and it's a phenomenal mouse, but god drat is the design bad. Where my pinky rests (I'm right handed), the mouse has some sort of knurled surface which is an absolute nightmare since it collects all sorts of crap and gunk in it. No matter how frequently or severely I clean it, it's dirty again within a week. I don't even know what this crap that collects on it is, since I don't have dirty hands and will always wash my hands after eating something messy. It's got a really unpleasant downside of making my pinky smell funky and I'm genuinely considering just sanding down the side of it so it's smooth and doesn't attract dirt.

What other mice could I buy that would be an upgrade from this one?

Edit: Turns out this is a common issue. Will use an old toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol to clean it and save myself the hassle of getting a new mouse with a better design. Will definitely consider sanding it down in the future when I pick up my Dremel from my parent's place.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 11, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Im_Special posted:

So is it just me or is the G900 always on sale like every other week for 50% off somewhere, where as I haven't been able to find any kind of deal on the G502 for several weeks since I've been looking for one.
G900 and G402 keep going on sale for some reason. Not so for G502.

No idea what the deal is, but it's definitely a trend.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Im_Special posted:

It's $20 off on Amazon right now: [https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pro...1&keywords=g502, or you can get a refurb for $50. But yeah, it's weirdly expensive (like, right now the 602 is 50% off on Amazon, RIP).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The G502 goes on sale all the time, as much or more than the others. However Logitech clearanced its previous revision (Core) in the last years in favor of the RGB model (Spectrum), so if you missed out on the 75% off G502 windfall it's not likely to happen again for a long while

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The G502 goes on sale all the time, as much or more than the others. However Logitech clearanced its previous revision (Core) in the last years in favor of the RGB model (Spectrum), so if you missed out on the 75% off G502 windfall it's not likely to happen again for a long while

The G602 is also 50% off at Best Buy, interestingly. Is a new model coming?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The G602 is also 50% off at Best Buy, interestingly. Is a new model coming?

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!

The G903 wireless and G703 wireless mice just got announced, alongside Logitech's wireless charging *mat*, which is supposed to go under your mousepad and use inductive charging to keep your mouse continually topped-off. I remain curious to see if any old mousepad can be used, or if it has to be Logitech's. If it's the latter, I am far less-interested, as my experiences with Logitech mousepads is that they're crap.

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Logitech-G-PowerPlay-Brings-Wireless-Charging-Gaming-Mice-Reality

Logitech's marketing material indicates a "powercore module"... here's hoping that means it can be retrofitted onto, say, a G403.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 12, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Second is the G703 ...

gently caress YEAH FINALLY

quote:

... a successor to the G403.

ARGH

drat, I just want a free-wheel mouse with a fuckton of buttons, is that too much to ask? :(

Guess I'll bite the bullet and get a G700s before they disappear. And put the extra cash into a few high-capacity low-endurance replacement batteries.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

gently caress YEAH FINALLY
ARGH

Yeah, I got excited as well and then saw it has nothing to do with the G700/G700s. The shape and the button placement is perfect and the tilt wheel is very useful. None of Logitech's newer mice really catch my eye. The G602 comes closest but that one is too crowded.

There used to be Logitech guys here -- please make a modern G700 possible :(

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If you haven't already, look for replacement feet for your mouse and order them for $5.00.
So worth it. Even the brand new G502 had a slight "scratch" to it, now it's gone and so smooth, it's amazing.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Logitech's marketing material indicates a "powercore module"... here's hoping that means it can be retrofitted onto, say, a G403.

Powercore support needs to be built into the mouse, so only the G703 and G903 support it so far.

In other news, Dell Alienware now has two in house mice, the Advanced Gaming Mouse ($49USD) and Elite Gaming Mouse ($89USD), that are ambidextrous adjustable weight corded mice with snap on body bits to customize the shape. No info on the sensor used or software included.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

If you haven't already, look for replacement feet for your mouse and order them for $5.00.
So worth it. Even the brand new G502 had a slight "scratch" to it, now it's gone and so smooth, it's amazing.

I feel like they should package one set with each new mouse. Especially considering you will damage them getting in there to fix the busted LMB at some point.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EoRaptor posted:

Powercore support needs to be built into the mouse, so only the G703 and G903 support it so far.

In other news, Dell Alienware now has two in house mice, the Advanced Gaming Mouse ($49USD) and Elite Gaming Mouse ($89USD), that are ambidextrous adjustable weight corded mice with snap on body bits to customize the shape. No info on the sensor used or software included.

Except it appears to *not* be so, because the powercore module and weight module are mutually exclusive to eachother. As in, if you use the weight on the G703, you cannot use the powercore module, and vice versa.

This raises the possibility of a retrofit powercore module that replaces batteries and cover, assuming Logitech doesn't just want us to all move on to 703s anyways.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Except it appears to *not* be so, because the powercore module and weight module are mutually exclusive to eachother. As in, if you use the weight on the G703, you cannot use the powercore module, and vice versa.

This raises the possibility of a retrofit powercore module that replaces batteries and cover, assuming Logitech doesn't just want us to all move on to 703s anyways.

Pulling info from here, which states G703 and G903 only at launch. What Logitech could do and what they will do might not be connected.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, Synapse lagging on switching app-detected profiles is driving me nuts, in addition to the other synapse garbage.

Any recommendations for something like a Deathadder elite that would get me far away from Synapse?

OR is there some other "remap buttons based on the active app" solution I can implement? Would XBMC do that?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Deviant posted:

Ugh, Synapse lagging on switching app-detected profiles is driving me nuts, in addition to the other synapse garbage.

Any recommendations for something like a Deathadder elite that would get me far away from Synapse?

OR is there some other "remap buttons based on the active app" solution I can implement? Would XBMC do that?
The DA Chroma is the most recent revision that has onboard memory. You can set it all up in synapse and then purge it from your system and keep your DPI/liftoff and LED settings. Razer stripped onboard memory out of the DA Elite so it needs synapse installed to be customizable at all times, because that's just the kind of thing they do

People take it for granted, but Logitech's driver suite is really excellent. It's minimal on resources and actively recognizes everything you throw at it instantly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The DA Chroma is the most recent revision that has onboard memory. You can set it all up in synapse and then purge it from your system and keep your DPI/liftoff and LED settings. Razer stripped onboard memory out of the DA Elite so it needs synapse installed to be customizable at all times, because that's just the kind of thing they do

People take it for granted, but Logitech's driver suite is really excellent. It's minimal on resources and actively recognizes everything you throw at it instantly.

Yes, I'm aware of the how and the why. The problem is Razer's feature that auto detects the app you're using and swaps profiles has a noticable lag when alt-tabbing. I need a better solution, be it software or hardware.

Edit: Yep, XMBC does it with no lag. Much better.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 14, 2017

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Got a quick question for anyone of you who have used both the G900 and G502, and I guess a MX518/G400 as well.

So I picked up a G900 and love everything about it, but the feel, the asymmetrical design is just not for me, I'm right handed so I don't care about left handed features, I also don't use the wireless, so that is of no concern or benefit to me.

If I could change a few things about the G900 to better suit my hands I would make the scroll wheel be a bit farther back, because my index finger only reaches the center of the wheel and not hang completely over it, I like when it hangs over, also the side front/back buttons feel too low and should angle up more inline with my thumb.

Would the G502 be a better fit for my hands if the above are my two main complaints? I hear the G502 has the worse wheel though, can anyone go into why, and does the wheel and side front/back buttons positions differ from the G900?

Basically I think the old G400 has a perfect fit for my hand, and would like to find the closest possible replacement for it. I'd be returning the G900 which I got for $100 (50% off) for a G502 at $99 (no discount).

TL;DR is the G502 closer to the G400 in terms of feel then the G900 is?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So after using a G900 for about a week then trying out a G502, holy poo poo does the G502 have an unusable garbage mouse wheel, G900 really spoiled me on that part. Other then that I really like the G502, although it does have worse pads, they have a sort of rough edge that scrapes a cloth mouse pad if not completely flat, and the dpi buttons are easy to accidentally hit.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Today my mx518 finally started giving out. The left click sometimes just doesn't send a signal - right click and sensor will work fine, but left-clicking won't do anything. What's the chances of this being a fixable issue? If it's unfixable, should I just pony up for the G502 that are on sale right? I really wish it wasn't so xXGAMERXx looking. I guess $70 is the new normal for mice?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jinnigan posted:

Today my mx518 finally started giving out. The left click sometimes just doesn't send a signal - right click and sensor will work fine, but left-clicking won't do anything. What's the chances of this being a fixable issue? If it's unfixable, should I just pony up for the G502 that are on sale right? I really wish it wasn't so xXGAMERXx looking. I guess $70 is the new normal for mice?

You can attempt to fix it like so:
http://www.redferret.net/?p=31008
Or alternatively solder on a new switch entirely. I got some omron switches on ebay for my MX1000.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I fixed my Logitech LMB by re-bending the copper switch and I'm a klutz. Clicks strong now.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Just a head's up, if you're signed up to get emails from Logitech check your email. I got a coupon code for 30% off an order (up to three items) that works on the G903 and Powerplay mousepad preorder, bringing the price for the two of them together to $175.

With that being said, I can't justify the price (even though I really want to) so here's the code I got: qex96uvo2

It says it's unique, but doesn't say anything about it being tied to my email, so it should hopefully work for someone else that wants to take the plunge.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

You might just have to clean the crevices with something like a plastic toothpick.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
What's going on with the G403 firmware update? I just bought one yesterday only to find out that apparently updating the firmware right now will brick your mouse? It seems like LGS won't let me change any settings on my mouse if I don't update, but I dont want to brick my mouse.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The new Logitech Software version is apparently bricking receivers of WIRELESS G403, so if you've got one of those don't update and use it in wired mode until this is confirmed to be fixed.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
QA is looking into it. It seems like the firmware update is not completing on the receiver on some systems, which results in the devices not being paired to each other. If the Connect Utility from the site doesn't work, re-running the DFU manually may help (C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\FWUpdate\G403\G403Update.exe)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

SwissArmyDruid posted:

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!

]The G903 wireless and G703 wireless mice just got announced, alongside Logitech's wireless charging *mat*, which is supposed to go under your mousepad and use inductive charging to keep your mouse continually topped-off. I remain curious to see if any old mousepad can be used, or if it has to be Logitech's. If it's the latter, I am far less-interested, as my experiences with Logitech mousepads is that they're crap.

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Logitech-G-PowerPlay-Brings-Wireless-Charging-Gaming-Mice-Reality

Holy gently caress I brought up this idea to the thread around like six months ago.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Mutant Standard posted:

Holy gently caress I brought up this idea to the thread around like six months ago.
We've been working on it for four years now. It's been tough seeing suggestions like yours and not saying anything.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yo Logitech guy what happened to the G602?

The scroll wheel on mine died and I can't find any replacements in stock - the MX Master I replaced it with is okay but just not the same for gaming.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Nothing happened to it. It's still a live product. Where do you live?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
New Zealand. Good to hear it's still around internationally , it's still a really great device.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Man there is apparently quite the cottage industry of Chinese (?) knockoff mx518s

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Hi Goo, do you know the Harmony Hub folks? I recently picked one up to solve a wall mount TV with everything shoved into a closet setup, and while the basics of it were pretty good, certain other things were a pain due to lack of documentation on product features and configuration.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I do know a few of them, and they sit about 50 feet away from me. PM me specifics if you'd like me to pass on feedback or get you assistance.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

dissss posted:

New Zealand. Good to hear it's still around internationally , it's still a really great device.

You're better off importing stuff from eBay or Amazon.com/ca/uk/de honestly. Some stuff just is outright not sold here (Finalmouse, G Pro, Mionix stuff etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
drat, my G400 is starting to die. It'll randomly go dead, almost always in game, and I have to reconnect it.

Guess I finally get to upgrade.

Also, the G402 is 70 bucks lol Amazon trippin'